PDA

View Full Version : Umass Colgate game to be Televised, Umass gets transfer from Maryland

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 09:25 AM
The Umass/ Colgate football game on Sept. 10 has been added to the CN8 Television schedule......In other news Patrick Powell has Transfered to Umass from Maryland......We get anymore Transfer you can start calling us Delaware :D

Umass/ Colgate on T.V. / Umass gets transfer (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070805aaa.html)

blukeys
July 8th, 2005, 09:29 AM
The Umass/ Colgate football game on Sept. 10 has been added to the CN8 Television schedule......In other news Patrick Powell has Transfered to Umass from Maryland......We get anymore Transfer you can start calling us Delaware :D

Umass/ Colgate on T.V. / Umass gets transfer (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/070805aaa.html)
You guys took the lead about 5 transfers ago. :deadhorse

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 09:34 AM
You guys took the lead about 5 transfers ago. :deadhorse

But over the years Delaware has WAY more :p

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 09:37 AM
In other news Patrick Powell has Transfered to Umass from Maryland......

Doesn't that make a total of eight... well unlike the old TV show... when it comes to UMass winning anything... eight... ain't gonna be enough... :p

blukeys
Not true. We usually get a few every year. Everyone just remembers our transfers because they are WAY better ;) :D :D :D

89Hen
In other news Patrick Powell has Transfered to Umass from Maryland......
That's pretty old news. I've been trying to find out about Powell down here in Terp land, but nobody seems to know anything about him. I'll keep digging.

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 09:39 AM

if you mean wins and National Championships... you are correct sir... :nod:

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 09:59 AM
if you mean wins and National Championships... you are correct sir... :nod:

Umass has won One, I-AA National Championship
Delaware has won One, I-AA National Cahmpionship

I would say we are even. :D Good edit job CM :nod:

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM

EVEN... :eek:

UD has six National Championships... UMass one

UD is 22-4 vs UMass

you sure do have funny math in Amherst... :D

blukeys
July 8th, 2005, 10:04 AM

25-4 doesn't seem even to me. :D :D

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 10:07 AM
EVEN... :eek:
UD has six National Championships... UMass one

Not in I-AA you don't

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 10:08 AM
25-4 doesn't seem even to me. :D :D

Not sure what that has to do with the National Championships? :confused:

saint0917
July 8th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Not in Division I they don't.

Must be 2 or 3 :D Or is that Delaware High School N.C.

GannonFan
July 8th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Maybe UMass just seems to have so many transfers because they post the same information multiple times - this Powell guy has been known to have transferred for some time. Posting multiple times doesn't make him any better.

As for the national titles won before there was even a IAA division, there's ample evidence to say that DII then (before IAA and even the first few years of IAA's existence) was just as competitive, if not more, than IAA was/is. Just because people change labels doesn't mean records and acheivements go out the window. If that was the case, I'm sure the GSU folks are dreading any potential shakeups that reclassify everything as DI with a Bowl Division and a Championship Division - all those 6 IAA titles will now be worthless as everyone will start with zero Championship Division Championships!

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 10:57 AM
D-I is D-I.

and NCAA football was played and championships were awarded.... prior to 1978... ;)

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 11:22 AM
and prior to 1973 when the classifications went into effect. Obviously this discussion is not about ancient history or else Harvard can chime in that they have seven major division flags while UD and UMass have one each.

the point is... Small College titles... awarded prior to '73 and DII titles between '73 and '79 are the equivalent of what is now the 1AA title. A rose is a rose...

GannonFan
July 8th, 2005, 11:25 AM
and prior to 1973 when the classifications went into effect. Obviously this discussion is not about ancient history or else Harvard can chime in that they have seven major division flags while UD and UMass have one each.

Which Harvard can claim - just because it happened awhile ago doesn't mean it didn't happen.

And no, no matter how you say it D1 isn't always D1 - DIAA is exactly what DII was prior to there being DIAA - the next division down from DI (or DIA) football. No matter how you say that it's still going to be true.

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 11:33 AM
No, D-II is never equal to D-I. And the NCAA uses roman numerals, not arabic... :p

but prior to '79... DII was the equal to 1AA but in DI... 1AA will never be on a par with 1A.

PS... despite the terroists... I still use "Arabic'... :D

youwouldno
July 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM
Ralph is obviously right here. Division I is Division I, period. Division I programs NEVER would have agreed to become Division II in football even if the bylaws were made identical to what is now I-AA.

Saying Delaware has "six" National Championships is technically accurate, but they have one in Division I. But NC's aren't everything-- overall playoff performance, regular season, etc. still matters with regard to prestige.

GannonFan
July 8th, 2005, 11:49 AM
No, D-II is never equal to D-I. And the NCAA uses roman numerals, not arabic... :p

D2 prior to the advent of 1AA, and even a handful of years into it as teams transitioned, is certainly the equal of D1, at least the 1AA part - they are both the next division down from the top division. D2 now is certainly not the equivalent of D1AA now as D2 is the 3rd level down, but that hasn't always been the case. Like I said, whatever you want to call it it still won't change that fact.

bluehenbillk
July 8th, 2005, 12:52 PM
However, Ralph you kinda steered around the original point he was making. The majority of the teams that entered 1-AA in the early 80's came from D-II.

89Hen
July 8th, 2005, 01:03 PM
UD schedule as a DII in 1974

Akron
The Citadel
New Hampshire
McNeese
Connecticut
Lehigh
Temple
Villanova
Maine
West Chester
Bucknell
Youngstown - playoffs
UNLV - playoffs
Central Michigan - playoffs

GannonFan
July 8th, 2005, 01:11 PM
Check the requirements of D-I as opposed to the requirements of D-II and then tell me they are the same. No matter how you want to disrespect it they are not the same. (you may also want to check your spelling of I-AA)

So Ralph, since I'm disrespecting it, why don't you educate me, seriously - what were the requirements for being D2 prior to there being a 1AA division and what are the requirements to be 1AA now? I'm certainly not arguing that D2 now is different than D1 (A or AA) now, but prior to there being a 1AA division I'm arguing that D2 then was the equivalent of D1AA now (basically just a name change, like the Yankee deciding to call itself the A10 deciding to call itself the CAA). Prove me wrong. We all know that D1AA is the 2nd higest level of football as D2 prior to 1978 was the 2nd highest level of football, so they're equivalent there. What else is the same/different?

Sam Adams
July 8th, 2005, 07:33 PM
Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about ud and their d2 history. talk about whipping a dead horse.... :deadhorse

I am much more interested in UMASS getting another nice transfer as Coach Brown continues to mold that defense. Mr. Powell is a 6'4" 265 DE w/speed and 3yrs of eligibility. Nice pick up for UMASS. :D

colgate13
July 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM
One point missed in all this worth mentioning:

Colgate announced (http://athletics.colgate.edu/football/release.asp?id=3820) that ALL of it's home games will be televised on Time Warner Central New York this year. That's a great step forward for our program! :)

CollegeObserver
July 8th, 2005, 08:38 PM
"Colgate will offer an early-bird season ticket package for its six home games to the Central New York community for $42 before August 20. The season ticket package includes a t-shirt, 10 flex tickets per order for home men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s lacrosse and women’s ice hockey games, one football media guide per order, a game program at each game, free parking and a preseason team BBQ."

With a deal like that, one cannot afford to stay home and watch it on TV!

colgate13
July 8th, 2005, 08:41 PM
"Colgate will offer an early-bird season ticket package for its six home games to the Central New York community for $42 before August 20. The season ticket package includes a t-shirt, 10 flex tickets per order for home men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s lacrosse and women’s ice hockey games, one football media guide per order, a game program at each game, free parking and a preseason team BBQ."

With a deal like that, one cannot afford to stay home and watch it on TV!

Yea, I like the new AD's thinking here.

The Time Warner deal is really for the Syracuse and Rochester areas, so Joe Schmoe can catch a game and say, hmm, that was exciting. Perhaps I'll see them next weekend!

ChickenMan
July 8th, 2005, 09:05 PM
Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about ud and their d2 history.

Don't blame you a bit... if my guys were 4-22 vs an opponent... I wouldn't care for their history either... ;)

foghorn
July 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM
However, Ralph you kinda steered around the original point he was making. The majority of the teams that entered 1-AA in the early 80's came from D-II.

And some, such as San Diego State went from Div. II to D-IA! Like Gannon said, if the nomenclature of Div. I-AA is changed, then using Ralph's logic, GSU's titles will just figments of their imagination, as they wouldl not have occurred under the new nomenclature, whatever it might be. :eek: Go Hens!

GannonFan
July 8th, 2005, 10:57 PM
Frankly I don't give a rat's arse about ud and their d2 history. talk about whipping a dead horse.... :deadhorse

I am much more interested in UMASS getting another nice transfer as Coach Brown continues to mold that defense. Mr. Powell is a 6'4" 265 DE w/speed and 3yrs of eligibility. Nice pick up for UMASS. :D

Well, if your fellow UMass fans could actually make a post without referring negatively to UD then we could actually bury the dead horse - until hell freezes over, however, we're left with this.

And on my original post, I'm not sure how much news this pickup is since it was already mentioned in a thread on this site more than a month ago and 11 pages ago - hyping the same transfer in multiple threads doesn't make it any more impressive.

umassfan
July 9th, 2005, 12:35 AM
Well, if your fellow UMass fans could actually make a post without referring negatively to UD then we could actually bury the dead horse - until hell freezes over, however, we're left with this.

And on my original post, I'm not sure how much news this pickup is since it was already mentioned in a thread on this site more than a month ago and 11 pages ago - hyping the same transfer in multiple threads doesn't make it any more impressive.

When I posted it before it was from someone I knew inside... now there was press done on it... thats why the rethread.

Sam Adams
July 9th, 2005, 09:02 AM
The transfer of big Pat Powell from MD to UMASS was just recently given official confirmation by the schools and the NCAA. Before then it was largely a rumored transfer. The official confirmation is indeed newsworthy. Love to see the blue birds are get all persnickety when UMASS grabs a high quality transfer right out of ud's backyard. :)

GannonFan
July 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM
The transfer of big Pat Powell from MD to UMASS was just recently given official confirmation by the schools and the NCAA. Before then it was largely a rumored transfer. The official confirmation is indeed newsworthy. Love to see the blue birds are get all persnickety when UMASS grabs a high quality transfer right out of ud's backyard. :)

Well, the high quality part, like all transfers, will have to remain to be seen until the guy actually plays a college down. And, interesting in the original thread concerning this transfer, most Umass fans thought this guy won't even start, which, considering the poor play of UMass's defense last year, would cast some doubt on how "high quality" he is. However, we'll see once they're on the field.

eaglesrthe1
July 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
And some, such as San Diego State went from Div. II to D-IA! Like Gannon said, if the nomenclature of Div. I-AA is changed, then using Ralph's logic, GSU's titles will just figments of their imagination, as they wouldl not have occurred under the new nomenclature, whatever it might be. :eek: Go Hens!

Cool. Then GSU has six, and you guys have one. So clam up. :cool:

LBPop
July 9th, 2005, 03:00 PM
That's pretty old news. I've been trying to find out about Powell down here in Terp land, but nobody seems to know anything about him. I'll keep digging.

He was rated 2 stars by Rivals in the class of 2003. Defensive End is tough place to get playing time at a place like Maryland. Here's the link to his page from Rivals...not a lot of detail.

http://mdvarsity.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=15498