PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Will Appalachian pull a 3-peat?

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 10:29 AM
Discuss...

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 10:32 AM
Okay, I'll cast the 1st vote...
I think Edwards and Richardson will be too tough to stop, it will be interesting though what happens with replacing graduating All-Americans, such as Isenhour, Murrell, and Wiggins.

SoCon48
December 21st, 2006, 10:33 AM
Odds are way against anyone doing it.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 10:36 AM
Odds are way against anyone doing it.

I would tend to agree with that, but I have to wonder what the Educated people's opinions are. This isn't meant to be all together serious, but to add some stimulating conversation.

HiHiYikas
December 21st, 2006, 10:42 AM
I voted yes, simply because there's not a good middle-of-the-road answer. I'd assume that Edwards and Richardson would continue to be dominant, and with the high number of returners, ASU would be primed to do the unthinkable...

Then again, it's called the unthinkable for a reason. Very, very hard. Never been done.

I would have voted something like "Hard as it is to 3-peat, the Mountaineers appear to have a shot."

SeattleGriz
December 21st, 2006, 10:43 AM
I think this year some team in the SoCon will figure out how to slow down Appalachian and that will become the blueprint for everyone else. Too many decent teams on the way to a 3rd title.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM
I voted yes, simply because there's not a good middle-of-the-road answer. I'd assume that Edwards and Richardson would continue to be dominant, and with the high number of returners, ASU would be primed to do the unthinkable...

Then again, it's called the unthinkable for a reason. Very, very hard. Never been done.

I would have voted something like "Hard as it is to 3-peat, the Mountaineers appear to have a shot."

Good point, I was thinking of different options and I didn't want it to be a simple yes no poll. Thanks for the input.

I do realize that it is just durn tough to win one, but for fun let's toss the idea out there.

Col Hogan
December 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM
ASU was the best team this year...no doubts. And they are loaded for next year...no doubt. But at this early stage, I have to pick the field over ASU and vote no. Not because they aren't a talented team, but it's just too difficult to stay "up" this long. Injuries, academic difficulties, etc, could/will plauge all teams, including Appy.

If you believe your team (at this point in time) WILL repeat...OK :homer:

If you think they have the ability to repeat...that's gist for valid discussion

Mountaineer
December 21st, 2006, 11:41 AM
I voted no in regards to the extreme difficulty in getting three in a row as well as some of the key people we're losing.

I do think we'll have another good year..just don't see us getting over the hump that is 3 in a row.

ASU Kep
December 21st, 2006, 12:27 PM
I dunno. If I had to choose a front-runner, it'd be us. But picking against the whole rest of the field is tough (I did it anyway though, because I'm a homer :D).

Montana and so many other teams are comin' back LOADED next year, it would be amazing if we can get it done. Heck, even the SOCON race is going to be very competitive next year between us, a healthy Furman, and a damn good Wofford.

Ivytalk
December 21st, 2006, 12:40 PM
Not unless they sign Michael Jordan!:p

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 12:49 PM
Not unless they sign Michael Jordan!:p
I think he used up all his eligability in the 80's playing basketball, but I'll email Coach Moore and see if he can make it happen!:smiley_wi :D

OL FU
December 21st, 2006, 01:19 PM
Are you trying to make me cry:p ................:( :)

bodoyle
December 21st, 2006, 01:20 PM
They will lose to Coastal in the 2nd round of the playoffs.....AT THE BEACH!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

WYOBISONMAN
December 21st, 2006, 01:22 PM
They might..........North Dakota State is not yet eligible to stop this machine!!! It ends in 2008.....

Black Saturday
December 21st, 2006, 01:30 PM
I think this year some team in the SoCon will figure out how to slow down Appalachian and that will become the blueprint for everyone else. Too many decent teams on the way to a 3rd title.

There isn't a blueprint to stop the spread offense that has the athletes to run it effectively in the FCS as APP has. Just look at the record. Match APP's spread with their dominant defense at this level and look at the results over the last couple of years. In my opinion, just about the only way for an opponent to stop APPs offense for 2 halves is for APP to stop themselves (as in t/os in the Wofford and GSU games) or for the opponent to have an offense that can match and outscore APPs offense and a stellar defense that can slow APPs offense. Almost all of the FCS defenses do not have the athletes to stop or cover 5potential receivers and stop runners the quality of Edwards or Richardson every single play. It did not happen during Richie Williams senior year or after Edwards took over in 2006. We'll see what happens in 2007?

I'm sure there are lots of doubters at this point because 3 in a row hasn't been done before. APPs spread offense is going to be just fine. Somebody is going to have to actually stop APP before I beleive any team actually can. My vote is no one will be able to stop it in 2007 either. Again, bottom line...No Team Has ENOUGH athletes at the FCS level to shut down APPs spread offense. My concern is replacing 3 of the Fearsome Foursome on a defense that was dominant as any in 2006. If APP gets the defensive line taken care of, then a run at 3 is very possible.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 01:46 PM
ASU was the best team this year...no doubts. And they are loaded for next year...no doubt. But at this early stage, I have to pick the field over ASU and vote no. Not because they aren't a talented team, but it's just too difficult to stay "up" this long. Injuries, academic difficulties, etc, could/will plauge all teams, including Appy.

If you believe your team (at this point in time) WILL repeat...OK :homer:

If you think they have the ability to repeat...that's gist for valid discussion
I would say the chances of App State returning to Chattanooga and winning are much greater than senior-dominated UMass getting back to the title game.

ASU's biggest concern will be replacing DE Marques Murrell and to a lesser extent DT Omarr Byrom. Jeremy Wiggins is a huge loss, but not mant teams have a player as good as Billy Riddle waiting in the wings. Monte Smith will be tough to replace at LB, but there is a lot of talent there, just not experience. Isenhour was good, but the Mountaineers are very deep at OL. John Holt is very experienced, with some starts, and will replace either Isenhour or Jeremy Robertson. That leaves one position open on the O-Line. ASU has receivers coming out of their ears, so William Mayfield will not be a huge loss. The Mountaineers have Dominique Wilson ready to come in for Daniel Bettis at TE. There is also a lot of depth around, if ASU suffers injuries.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 01:54 PM
There isn't a blueprint to stop the spread offense that has the athletes to run it effectively in the FCS as APP has. Just look at the record. Match APP's spread with their dominant defense at this level and look at the results over the last couple of years. In my opinion, just about the only way for an opponent to stop APPs offense for 2 halves is for APP to stop themselves (as in t/os in the Wofford and GSU games) or for the opponent to have an offense that can match and outscore APPs offense and a stellar defense that can slow APPs offense. Almost all of the FCS defenses do not have the athletes to stop or cover 5potential receivers and stop runners the quality of Edwards or Richardson every single play. It did not happen during Richie Williams senior year or after Edwards took over in 2006. We'll see what happens in 2007?

I'm sure there are lots of doubters at this point because 3 in a row hasn't been done before. APPs spread offense is going to be just fine. Somebody is going to have to actually stop APP before I beleive any team actually can. My vote is no one will be able to stop it in 2007 either. Again, bottom line...No Team Has ENOUGH athletes at the FCS level to shut down APPs spread offense. My concern is replacing 3 of the Fearsome Foursome on a defense that was dominant as any in 2006. If APP gets the defensive line taken care of, then a run at 3 is very possible.
We are looking at an interesting period in the history of football right now. It is somewhat similar to the late 1960s and early 1970s when the wishbone was becoming the dominant offense. It took awhile to figure out how to stop the wishbone and nobody had really figured out how to stop the no huddle spread unless you just match up superior athletes, something no one else at the I-AA/FCS level has been able to do against ASU. Ironically, the national champions at Division I, II and III all repeated this year. And guess what all have in common — the spread. The coaches at D-III Mt. Union actually came down and learned the offense from ASU. Someone on one of the championship broadcasts (might have been Mike Gottfried) said that the spread is the single wing with the element of the pass that the single wing did not have. As long as ASU has the athletes to run this attack and can balance that with a strong defense, the Mountaineers will be tough to stop.

CCU97
December 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
The only way to stop the spread is to have a physical but fast front 7 and tall, fast, and physical DBs....the problem is....no D in the country this year had that combo of perfections on D. Now can App St. three-peat...sure! no doubt they have quality players returning and quality players to replace the players that are lost or get hurt...the key for App St. is that Richardson and Edwards stay healthy. Is it likely App St will three-peat...not very but again...you never know...stranger things have happened.

OL FU
December 21st, 2006, 02:15 PM
One thing that makes it a little less likely is their schedule.

Away games this year, were a weaker than normal GSU, WCU and Chatt.

Next year away games are Furman, Wofford, Elon and Citadel.

I don't think there is any question that App should be the favorite going in, but playing their main two competitors for the conference, FU and WC, away and two up and comers, Cit and Elon, away, will make it a little tougher to be at the Rock during the entirety of the playoffs.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 02:36 PM
ASU's biggest concern will be replacing DE Marques Murrell and to a lesser extent DT Omarr Byrom. Jeremy Wiggins is a huge loss, but not mant teams have a player as good as Billy Riddle waiting in the wings.

Mr. C, I would have to agree with you. I see the Defense as possibly the sticking point to a 3-peat. NOW, LET ME CLARIFY, we are still going to have an awesome Defense. I don't know if we will be putting up the points that we did this year. I think next year T.O.P. will be the key to App 3 peating. Edwards and Richardson just chewing up clock will be instrumental. I think with few fumbles, some timely passes, ASU will run the ball. They will score and the Defense will play well, but replacing a 'stud' like Murrell will be key to a possible 3-peat.

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
I think we've got a good shot of reloading on both our lines and that'll be the key to keeping KR & AE moving forward. If we can do that, we'll three-peat.

GtFllsGriz
December 21st, 2006, 03:47 PM
APPY is certainly capable of a three peat but I would have to say that the odds are agaisnt it. There are too many variables including injuries, off nights to a hot team etc.

Their offense reminds me an awful lot like Montana's in the early 90s. Not the scheme but the fact that no one could figure out how to defend against the wide open passing attack. It took about three years of everyone studying it, changing to it and dissecting it for the defenses to get up to speed. And even after that it was still pretty darned effective. Now almost everyone plays some variation of it.

Appy looks almost unbeatable right now but you can bet there are defensive coaches out there right now doing their best to counter it. I can see alot of other teams trying it but it does take the right players to execute it and Appy certainly has that.

rokamortis
December 21st, 2006, 04:41 PM
Like many others, I think that App State is the favorite and certainly can 3-peat, but I voted no as the odds are against it. Basically, my point is that football isn't played on paper and weird things happen come game time. But if anyone can do it then it will be the 2007 Mountaineers.

I know people are talking about their offense - which is fantastic, but I think their defense was the key. If opposing teams can figure out how to be more productive on offense and wear down the defense then the offense won't be as good.

BlueHen86
December 21st, 2006, 05:05 PM
I voted no. They might be the favorite right now, but too many things can happen. Injuries, bad day in the playoffs etc.

BEAR
December 21st, 2006, 05:37 PM
Hey, I just want to know if we can have another App. State thread started....:eyebrow: Yeah, we need yet another one.....xcoffeex

rokamortis
December 21st, 2006, 05:48 PM
Hey, I just want to know if we can have another App. State thread started....:eyebrow: Yeah, we need yet another one.....xcoffeex

I think they've earned it. Much better than some of the stuff we were subjected to during the season.

appst97
December 21st, 2006, 08:07 PM

Would youlike it to be about recruiting or the progress of our stadium renovations (that got started 3 weeks late:) )?

appisgreatest
December 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Does anyone know when they will start tearing down the press box at Kidd Brewer? By the way, i think ASU will definitely compete for a third Conf. championship but a National Championship is gonna be tough. I think it will depend on how App's defense holds up compared to this past season

Appguy
December 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
I say a 3-peat is the most likely event, at least until I see our schedule. Could change then because homefield all the way through is a huge advantage at the rock and Chatty

SU Jag
December 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

MplsBison
December 21st, 2006, 08:53 PM
Simply won't happen.

I think the team that's really poised for next year is UMass. They're a team that's on the up and won't be surprised to see them move to I-A in the next few years.

BEAR
December 21st, 2006, 09:16 PM
How will the kicking game for App. State be next year? xlolx

BigApp
December 21st, 2006, 09:26 PM

We could start a San Diego thread! :D

Saint3333
December 21st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Simply won't happen.

I think the team that's really poised for next year is UMass. They're a team that's on the up and won't be surprised to see them move to I-A in the next few years.

That's it, guess there's no need to play next season. With the streak the Kiss of Death aka Mpls is on, ASU wins hands down:thumbsup:.

Seriously without Baylark and the loses on defense UMass doesn't win the A-10 much less the NC.

BEAR
December 21st, 2006, 09:49 PM
We could start a San Diego thread! :D

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

igo4uni
December 21st, 2006, 09:51 PM
I voted no. It's just too hard to win a NC, let alone 3 in a row. App has had some great teams and they deserve the 2 that they have won. However, if not for a defensive TD, App loses to UNI last year. I just don't see them being able to win the close ones for a 3rd year in a row. :twocents: :twocents:

Grizo406
December 21st, 2006, 09:53 PM
I voted Yes, because Edwards and Richardson just might be too tough to stop next season.

All eyes will be on App State next year, and I'm thinking all they'll hear...ALL YEAR LONG, is "Can you 3-peat?"...from any/all fan(s) that can draw a breath.

Appalachian State certainly has the coaching staff to pull this off.

goasu984Life
December 21st, 2006, 09:59 PM
I voted yes, but who the hell knows? I would have never guessed that they would have won back-to-back. All I know is if they get close, I'm gonna go ahead and buy tickets so I don't get shut out from Chattanooga next year.

Appguy
December 21st, 2006, 10:08 PM
Simply won't happen.

just like every playoff win after our week schedule this past year?

now we have to 3-peat cause Mpls says its not happening

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 11:23 PM
How will the kicking game for App. State be next year? xlolx
Two-time (soon to be three-time) Jewish All-American Julian Rauch will be back after a fine 2006 season (remember the guy bombing all of those kickoffs into the end zone?). He also handled the punting this year, but should be back concentrating on just place kicking, if Neil Young can recover from his middle of the year season-ending knee injury.

Appguy
December 21st, 2006, 11:28 PM
Matt dodge was kicked off the team after last year, now goes to ECU according to facebook I think... was on the roids I believe
i believe ur refering to adam kassouf?

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 11:39 PM
Matt dodge was kicked off the team after last year, now goes to ECU according to facebook I think... was on the roids I believe
i believe ur refering to adam kassouf?
My goof, I was thinking of the new punter, Neil Young, who got injured and Matt Dodge just came out. Adam Kassouf is just a backup at this point and I doubt will ever be anything more. I corrected it to Neil Young in the above message.

SeattleGriz
December 22nd, 2006, 12:32 AM

That is why I specifically put "slow" instead of stop Apps offense. Still too early for teams to shut it down, but you can bet that App is going to see its fair share of teams willing to "sell out" on defense for just a slim chance at beating them. This is how the blueprint will evolve.

I don't think anyone will shut them down, just slow them.

spoogemcgee18
December 22nd, 2006, 12:42 AM
It's kinda funny that a punter gets booted for juicing. That kid was un-naturally huge for a punter though.

Seven Would Be Nice
December 22nd, 2006, 02:22 AM
It's kinda funny that a punter gets booted for juicing. That kid was un-naturally huge for a punter though.

The 93 yard punt into the wind gave it away... :smiley_wi :rolleyes:

You just gotta know when to stop, man.

AppMan
December 22nd, 2006, 04:42 AM
Will they? Who Knows. Can they? Obviously. With 16 returning starters (including kickers, return men, & long snappers) and talented young back-ups at every position where we lose a starter, ASU could be in for quite a run. Offense returns seven starters. The entire success of this offense is dependent on the ability of the QB to read the line play. After last year everyone, including myself, said there will never be another QB like Williams. We were right! Edwards is so far advanced over Richie at this point it isn't even funny. It is amazing how much talent has been stockpiled in Boone and players most people have never heard of are just waiting for a chance to play. Big Play receiver William Mayfield is gone, but the receiving corps returns 6 players with extensive playing time plus redshirts Reynaldo Hunter, CoCo Hillary, Matt Cline, and speed demon Tavarius Washington. The starting O-line loses All American & 2005 SoCon Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner Matt Isenhour, all conference Jeremy Robertson, and Mr Versitile Kyle Knox. Waiting in the wings is argueably the best Oline recruiting class in ASU history. Defense loses 5 starters. In '05 ASU lost 2 quality starting LB's, but Banks, Speer, and star in the making Jauque Roman made everyone forget about those other guys. We were so much more talented at LB this year it wasn't funnny, as soon as they acquired the experience it was lock down time. We will miss Monte Smith, but with all three of the other guys back along with a guy named Byron Heath - who looks a lot like a guy named Coakley - we will be OK. All everything safety Jeremy Wiggins is gone, but a very talented - and possibly the best hitter on the team - Titus Howard is waiting to step in. The DL was hit hard by graduation, but three very capable returning players with loads of experience are also ready to step in. If there is a position that causes me concern it is here. Not for the talent to play the position, but for a lack of quality depth. I have been told 17 1-A transfers have contacted ASU about coming to Boone. I'm not crazy about adding a ton of those guys to our team, but a few to relieve some depth problems and plug a hole here and threr is OK. The thing to remember about transfers is there is a reason they want to leave where they are now and usually it isn't a good situation. Every team we beat in the playoffs had a lot of transfers starting for them. Heck, UMass was a Big East "B" team. We have done alright over the years without loading up on them. I hope it stays that way. No question ASU has the talent to repeat. Barring injuries to key people they've got a great shot at it!

BrevardMountaineer03
December 22nd, 2006, 08:30 AM
First let me appologize for starting another App thread...but you didn't have to read it, I didn't make your mouse click the link(Sorry for the sarcasm)

I feel with a good team that ASU has, it might as well be discussed, we have joined elite company as only two schools, (I believe) Georgia Southern 3 times, and Younstown State once, and ASU are the only wons to have repeated as Champions. None have won 3 in a row and Appalachian, I believe has a good shot at it. Now, I want to know what other, educated folks think. There are certainly teams out there that can dethrone Appalachian, and yes, to pick one team 8 months before the start of the season as the National Champion is difficult and the field would be the safer 'bet'. I would just like to know everyone's opinion and why.

2nd Thank you to those of you who have voted and have had some comments. Winning a National Title is a BIG DEAL and shouldn't be taken lightly. If Appalachian State 3-peats it willnot be an easy road. But I do appreciate everyone's comments about ASU and others that would possibly via for a National Title.

I find this interesting, Thank You.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 22nd, 2006, 08:34 AM
I have been told 17 1-A transfers have contacted ASU about coming to Boone. I'm not crazy about adding a ton of those guys to our team, but a few to relieve some depth problems and plug a hole here and threr is OK. The thing to remember about transfers is there is a reason they want to leave where they are now and usually it isn't a good situation.

I agree AppMan, I hope we don't start taking a lot of transfers, yes we should take some, but I trust Coach Moore to figure out who we need and when.

Bisondad
December 22nd, 2006, 08:53 AM
I'm hoping for App State - North Dakota State for 2007.

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 09:00 AM
Are you eligible for 2007? If so, that'd be a hell of a game.

Col Hogan
December 22nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
Every team we beat in the playoffs had a lot of transfers starting for them. Heck, UMass was a Big East "B" team.

I love how if crap is said enough time, it becomes truth...at least that's how some people around here work. The following depth chart was posted on 14 December by dennisdent that shows the LACK of transfers starting for UMass...yet ESPN and UNH and now ASU fans keep repeating the crap of how we were "built" on transfers.

No = HS recruit
Yes = 1A (BCS) Transfer
JC = JUCO

MASSACHUSETTS: Depth Chart

Offense

WR 81 Brandon London Sr. 6-4 210 No
15 Michael Omar Jr. 6-0 185 JC
LT 68 Matt Austin RJr. 6-5 285 No
66 Biff Gottehrer RSo. 6-3 315 No
72 Vladimir Ducasse Fr. 6-4 305 No
LG 60 Nick Diana Jr. 6-3 300 JC
75 Carlos Feliciano RFr. 6-3 295 Yes
C 62 Alex Miller RSr. 6-2 290 No
71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 No
RG 73 David Thompson RSr. 6-3 310 No
RT 71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 or No
63 Sean Calicchio RSo.6-5 310 No
TE 82 Brad Listorti RJr. 6-4 245 Yes
83 Ian Jorgensen RSo. 6-5 235 No
TB 5 Steve Baylark Sr. 6-0 225 No
19 Tim Washington GS. 5-11 210 Yes
17 Tony Nelson RFr. 5-10 210 No
FB 32 Matt Lawrence RJr. 6-1 198 Yes
44 E.J. Barthel RJr. 6-1 240 Yes
QB 12 Liam Coen RSo. 6-2 205 No
8 Scott Woodward RFr. 6-3 195 No
WR 3 Rasheed Rancher RJr. 6-5 197 No
1 J.J. Moore RJr. 6-0 201 No

Defense

DE 55 John Hatchell RSr. 6-2 270 No (Lehigh trans)
46 Michael Hanson RFr. 6-2 230 No
DT 56 Brandon Collier RFr. 6-1 260 No
79 Matt Stolte Jr. 6-5 268 No
NT 97 Jason Leonard RSr. 6-2 280 No
99 Wilner Alexis RSo. 6-3 255 No
DE 48 David Burris RJr. 6-0 242 No
54 Darnel DeLaire RSo. 6-2 238 No
SLB 43 Jason Hatchell RJr. 6-0 240 No
91 Andy Resende-Gomes RJr. 6-0 215 No
MLB11 Charles Walker RJr. 6-1 220 No
53 Cesar Rosario Jr. 6-2 220 No
WLB 2 Brad Anderson RSr. 6-0 230 Yes
45 George Byrd So. 6-1 230 No
CB 26 Tracy Belton Sr. 5-11 175 No
41 Domenique Milton RSr. 5-10 200 No
SS 7 James Ihedigbo RSr. 6-1 202 No
34 Brandon Freeman Jr. 6-2 190 No
FS 23 Brandon Smith Sr. 6-1 217 No
29 Demarcus Roberson Fr. 6-0 175 No
CB 16 Sean Smalls So. 6-1 190 No
4 Courtney Robinson So. 6-1 200 Yes

Special Teams
PK 42 Chris Koepplin Jr. 6-3 210 JC
31 Armando Cuko So. 5-11 180 No
P 13 Christian Koegel Sr. 6-0 185 No
18 Ryan Logan RSo. 6-2 217 No

Also note, Baylark...NOT a transfer
Miller (OL), All American...NOT a transfer

Let's deal in facts, and stop repeating crap as if it's the truth!

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 09:12 AM
I love how if crap is said enough time, it becomes truth...at least that's how some people around here work. The following depth chart was posted on 14 December by dennisdent that shows the LACK of transfers starting for UMass...yet ESPN and UNH and now ASU fans keep repeating the crap of how we were "built" on transfers.

No = HS recruit
Yes = 1A (BCS) Transfer
JC = JUCO

MASSACHUSETTS: Depth Chart

Offense

WR 81 Brandon London Sr. 6-4 210 No
15 Michael Omar Jr. 6-0 185 JC
LT 68 Matt Austin RJr. 6-5 285 No
72 Vladimir Ducasse Fr. 6-4 305 No
LG 60 Nick Diana Jr. 6-3 300 JC
75 Carlos Feliciano RFr. 6-3 295 Yes
C 62 Alex Miller RSr. 6-2 290 No
71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 No
RG 73 David Thompson RSr. 6-3 310 No
RT 71 Chris Hopkins Jr. 6-3 288 or No
63 Sean Calicchio RSo.6-5 310 No
TE 82 Brad Listorti RJr. 6-4 245 Yes
83 Ian Jorgensen RSo. 6-5 235 No
TB 5 Steve Baylark Sr. 6-0 225 No
19 Tim Washington GS. 5-11 210 Yes
17 Tony Nelson RFr. 5-10 210 No
FB 32 Matt Lawrence RJr. 6-1 198 Yes
44 E.J. Barthel RJr. 6-1 240 Yes
QB 12 Liam Coen RSo. 6-2 205 No
8 Scott Woodward RFr. 6-3 195 No
WR 3 Rasheed Rancher RJr. 6-5 197 No
1 J.J. Moore RJr. 6-0 201 No

Defense

DE 55 John Hatchell RSr. 6-2 270 No (Lehigh trans)
46 Michael Hanson RFr. 6-2 230 No
DT 56 Brandon Collier RFr. 6-1 260 No
79 Matt Stolte Jr. 6-5 268 No
NT 97 Jason Leonard RSr. 6-2 280 No
99 Wilner Alexis RSo. 6-3 255 No
DE 48 David Burris RJr. 6-0 242 No
54 Darnel DeLaire RSo. 6-2 238 No
SLB 43 Jason Hatchell RJr. 6-0 240 No
91 Andy Resende-Gomes RJr. 6-0 215 No
MLB11 Charles Walker RJr. 6-1 220 No
53 Cesar Rosario Jr. 6-2 220 No
WLB 2 Brad Anderson RSr. 6-0 230 Yes
45 George Byrd So. 6-1 230 No
CB 26 Tracy Belton Sr. 5-11 175 No
41 Domenique Milton RSr. 5-10 200 No
SS 7 James Ihedigbo RSr. 6-1 202 No
34 Brandon Freeman Jr. 6-2 190 No
FS 23 Brandon Smith Sr. 6-1 217 No
29 Demarcus Roberson Fr. 6-0 175 No
CB 16 Sean Smalls So. 6-1 190 No
4 Courtney Robinson So. 6-1 200 Yes

Special Teams
PK 42 Chris Koepplin Jr. 6-3 210 JC
31 Armando Cuko So. 5-11 180 No
P 13 Christian Koegel Sr. 6-0 185 No
18 Ryan Logan RSo. 6-2 217 No

Also note, Baylark...NOT a transfer
Miller (OL), All American...NOT a transfer

Let's deal in facts, and stop repeating crap as if it's the truth!
I was wondering how long it would take for this to show up. :smiley_wi

Col Hogan
December 22nd, 2006, 09:15 AM
I was wondering how long it would take for this to show up. :smiley_wi

Was I fast enough?:) :)

lizrdgizrd
December 22nd, 2006, 09:25 AM
Was I fast enough?:) :)
Almost as fast as Ihedigbo! xlolx

Col Hogan
December 22nd, 2006, 09:29 AM
Almost as fast as Ihedigbo! xlolx

We will miss him!!!!!

mountain_man
December 22nd, 2006, 09:54 AM
yes....

Bisondad
December 22nd, 2006, 10:03 AM
Are you eligible for 2007? If so, that'd be a hell of a game.

Nope, not eligible till 2008. I'd like to see it be a non-conference game. Good measuring stick for us.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 22nd, 2006, 10:08 AM

That would make for one heck of a Saturday Game! I'd like to see it!:hurray:

ASU Kep
December 22nd, 2006, 12:16 PM
I agree AppMan, I hope we don't start taking a lot of transfers, yes we should take some, but I trust Coach Moore to figure out who we need and when.

Defensive linemen.

Cleets
December 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM
Regarding the original topic:

Will App. repeat...

I don't see anybody getting any better to the point where you say, they look like they can beat App... yet, App. will likely be better next year! Yikes!!

You gotta vote: Yes to an App. State repeat...

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 22nd, 2006, 02:20 PM
GSU could have very well three-peated in 2001. We had one of the best teams we have ever had (second or possibly third best team ever) and if we hadn't slipped up versus Furman in the semis, we could very well have gotten the hat trick.

ASU is going to be in everyone's cross-hairs, and they are going to have to play at Furman and at a tough Wofford team. But there is still a chance they will get another one.

Mr. C
December 22nd, 2006, 03:16 PM
Will they? Who Knows. Can they? Obviously. With 16 returning starters (including kickers, return men, & long snappers) and talented young back-ups at every position where we lose a starter, ASU could be in for quite a run. Offense returns seven starters. The entire success of this offense is dependent on the ability of the QB to read the line play. After last year everyone, including myself, said there will never be another QB like Williams. We were right! Edwards is so far advanced over Richie at this point it isn't even funny. It is amazing how much talent has been stockpiled in Boone and players most people have never heard of are just waiting for a chance to play. Big Play receiver William Mayfield is gone, but the receiving corps returns 6 players with extensive playing time plus redshirts Reynaldo Hunter, CoCo Hillary, Matt Cline, and speed demon Tavarius Washington. The starting O-line loses All American & 2005 SoCon Jacobs Blocking Trophy winner Matt Isenhour, all conference Jeremy Robertson, and Mr Versitile Kyle Knox. Waiting in the wings is argueably the best Oline recruiting class in ASU history. Defense loses 5 starters. In '05 ASU lost 2 quality starting LB's, but Banks, Speer, and star in the making Jauque Roman made everyone forget about those other guys. We were so much more talented at LB this year it wasn't funnny, as soon as they acquired the experience it was lock down time. We will miss Monte Smith, but with all three of the other guys back along with a guy named Byron Heath - who looks a lot like a guy named Coakley - we will be OK. All everything safety Jeremy Wiggins is gone, but a very talented - and possibly the best hitter on the team - Titus Howard is waiting to step in. The DL was hit hard by graduation, but three very capable returning players with loads of experience are also ready to step in. If there is a position that causes me concern it is here. Not for the talent to play the position, but for a lack of quality depth. I have been told 17 1-A transfers have contacted ASU about coming to Boone. I'm not crazy about adding a ton of those guys to our team, but a few to relieve some depth problems and plug a hole here and threr is OK. The thing to remember about transfers is there is a reason they want to leave where they are now and usually it isn't a good situation. Every team we beat in the playoffs had a lot of transfers starting for them. Heck, UMass was a Big East "B" team. We have done alright over the years without loading up on them. I hope it stays that way. No question ASU has the talent to repeat. Barring injuries to key people they've got a great shot at it!
Billy Riddle will replace Wiggins. Even though Titus Howard was listed as Jeremy Wiggins' backup, Riddle is the player that was considered the No. 3 safety behind Wiggins and Lynch. One of the reasons that Wiggins was moved to slot receiver in the spring of 2005 was to open a spot for Riddle in the starting lineup. Howard is talented, but has been mistake prone in his time in the lineup. He also probably holds a record for personal fouls and unsportmanlike behavior penalties per minute played. Howard really needs to show some maturity, if he is going to step into the lineup. While Heath had a great spring and a great camp, annointing him as the next Dexter Coakley isn't really fair. Smith was a special, underappreciated player, who combination of skills will be hard to replace. But Heath will be a good addition to Banks, Roman and Speer. As for Edwards, as good a runner as he is, he still has a long way to go to top Richie Williams as a passer. That's what I want to see Edwards work at this spring. He was getting better on his touch as the year went on, but I don't think he has the same arm strength that Richie Williams did on longer routes. You have to remember too that Edwards had a chance to play that Williams didn't as a young player. Williams had Joe Burchette, one of the most talented players ever to come through Boone. If Burchette had only had the same type of head on his shoulders as Williams and Edwards, ASU would have had at least one more championship trophy.

JMU-MRD-DAD
December 22nd, 2006, 04:12 PM
I would have to say the odds are against you to repeat but we all know what happened in Chatty. I was extremely impressed with ASU on both sides of the ball. I would not bet against them, but I would have to go with the odds of a 3-peat since they are losing some experience.

The best way to prevent a three peat is not to make the field of sixteen......the real answer lies within their conference.....what other teams will rise to the challenge.....what teams are getting better.....lets hear from other So. Conf fans and hear their predictions for the upcoming year. ( I know it's early)

If you look at the past few champions....Delaware won in 2003....followed up with a great year in 2004 and now are rebuilding......JMU won in 2004....failed to make the playoffs in 2005.....had a great year in 2006 but came up short in the playoffs. With ASU claiming 2005 & 2006, will they have the right mixed to make it 3 in a row since they are losing some key personnel?

AppMan
December 23rd, 2006, 01:18 AM
Billy Riddle will replace Wiggins. Even though Titus Howard was listed as Jeremy Wiggins' backup, Riddle is the player that was considered the No. 3 safety behind Wiggins and Lynch. One of the reasons that Wiggins was moved to slot receiver in the spring of 2005 was to open a spot for Riddle in the starting lineup. Howard is talented, but has been mistake prone in his time in the lineup. He also probably holds a record for personal fouls and unsportmanlike behavior penalties per minute played. Howard really needs to show some maturity, if he is going to step into the lineup. While Heath had a great spring and a great camp, annointing him as the next Dexter Coakley isn't really fair. Smith was a special, underappreciated player, who combination of skills will be hard to replace. But Heath will be a good addition to Banks, Roman and Speer. As for Edwards, as good a runner as he is, he still has a long way to go to top Richie Williams as a passer. That's what I want to see Edwards work at this spring. He was getting better on his touch as the year went on, but I don't think he has the same arm strength that Richie Williams did on longer routes. You have to remember too that Edwards had a chance to play that Williams didn't as a young player. Williams had Joe Burchette, one of the most talented players ever to come through Boone. If Burchette had only had the same type of head on his shoulders as Williams and Edwards, ASU would have had at least one more championship trophy.

I remember Titus having a problem with the penalties during the '05 season, but believe he matured and eliminated those mistakes during the past year. Riddle is a heck of a player and it is amazing ASU has two guys with that much talent as back-ups. Both probably start for most everyone else in the league. BTW, the Heath/Coakley comparison came from Jerry Moore. Yes, I'd agree Armanti's arm isn't quite up to Richie's yet, but we are comparing a 17 year old to a 20 year old with 4 years in a strength program. I've watched the national championship game replay several times and Edwards threw some darts in that game. You and I have had enough discussions about Burchette over the years. Oh what could have been!!! 6' 4", 235 lbs, a cannon arm, quick release, a lot of swagger, sharp football mind, absolutely no dedication to physical training, and loved to party all the time.

AppMan
December 23rd, 2006, 01:23 AM
Don't blame the ASU folks for this mis information. It was told by the media over and over again and this is the first time I've heard/seen it disputed by anyone from UMass. Perhaps your SID should have corrected it before it got out of hand.

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2006, 07:29 AM
Don't blame the ASU folks for this mis information. It was told by the media over and over again and this is the first time I've heard/seen it disputed by anyone from UMass. Perhaps your SID should have corrected it before it got out of hand.
The head SID at UMass didn't even show up in Chattanooga for most of the week. I didn't see him until Friday and he didn't go out of his way to be helpful. It seemed that a basketball game against Rick Pitino and Louisville was more important than the national championship game in football. They had an assistant who helped secure players for interviews and was nice enough to deal with and I spend quite a bit of time with the Atlantic 10 information director, but it was quite shocking the lack of an SID presence that UMass had in Chattanooga.

Mr. C
December 23rd, 2006, 07:41 AM
I remember Titus having a problem with the penalties during the '05 season, but believe he matured and eliminated those mistakes during the past year. Riddle is a heck of a player and it is amazing ASU has two guys with that much talent as back-ups. Both probably start for most everyone else in the league. BTW, the Heath/Coakley comparison came from Jerry Moore. Yes, I'd agree Armanti's arm isn't quite up to Richie's yet, but we are comparing a 17 year old to a 20 year old with 4 years in a strength program. I've watched the national championship game replay several times and Edwards threw some darts in that game. You and I have had enough discussions about Burchette over the years. Oh what could have been!!! 6' 4", 235 lbs, a cannon arm, quick release, a lot of swagger, sharp football mind, absolutely no dedication to physical training, and loved to party all the time.
Titus Howard still had several dumb penalties during the 2006 season. His one chance to shine, against Coastal Carolina when Billy Riddle sprained an ankle, Howard found himself late on plays several times and somewhat indecisive a lot of the time, something you don't need in a safety. He is definitely talented from a physical standpoint and has been a force on special teams, but his inexperience has been a negative (one of those catch 22s to having such a deep team). I don't see him cracking the lineup until Corey Lynch graduates. I like Heath, but some the things that Jerry Moore comes up with like that, you just learn to laugh at. Part of the reason you and I like him.

Col Hogan
December 23rd, 2006, 08:00 AM

Why not? You either have pretty short memories or selective retention. This was discussed in depth before the game...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17845

Where do you think I copied the data in my last post on this thread?

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
odds of getting through a 3rd straight season with all the breaks and few injuries seem slim. Very talented team though.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 08:56 AM
has anyone ever 3-peated in FCS/I-AA? I'm thinking no.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 23rd, 2006, 08:59 AM
has anyone ever 3-peated in FCS/I-AA? I'm thinking no.

No, there hasn't been a 3-peat in the FCS.

But since there haven't been many repeat champions (only 4 total times before Appalachian) I figure this is a valid question. Will it happen, who knows just yet, but I figure with who App returns we have just as good a shot as anybody. But it won't be easy.

JohnStOnge
December 23rd, 2006, 09:07 AM
I voted "No it's too tough to threepeat" but the real reason is that I think, unless it's an overwhelmingly dominant team like Marshall had in 1996, the odds are against any one team you pick beforehand being the one to win it.

I have the 2006 title game videotaped and, though you may think I'm crazy, but I don't think, really didn't reflects how close the two teams were physically. I think the two could play tomorrow and UMass would have close to a 50:50 shot at winning.

Don't get me wrong, I was pulling for App and I think App had the best team in the subdivision. But I think that most of the time winning the title takes being very good and also having things go your way some at some point along the line.

Wouldn't be any big surprise to see App win again next year. But if I'm betting I'm betting not.

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 09:34 AM
I have the 2006 title game videotaped and, though you may think I'm crazy, but I don't think, really didn't reflects how close the two teams were physically. I think the two could play tomorrow and UMass would have close to a 50:50 shot at winning.

Any Given Saturday. Play the 2005 game the next day and UNI might win that too. App St was the best team the last 2 years, and very well coudl be enxt year as well.

BigApp
December 23rd, 2006, 12:51 PM
thanks PRob!

PDXCat
December 23rd, 2006, 12:55 PM
No

Col Hogan
December 23rd, 2006, 03:29 PM
Any Given Saturday. Play the 2005 game the next day and UNI might win that too. App St was the best team the last 2 years, and very well coudl be enxt year as well.

Agree. Football is a single play tourney...win and continue...lose and go home. Appy won, so speculation if UMass could have beaten them is nothing but speculation. I wish UMass had won, but what I saw was a team that rose to the occasion and one that just missed. Still, I voted no on a three peat...too difficult to predict this early.

BigApp
December 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
...too difficult to predict this early.

agreed. It's all conjecture at this point in time.

BEAR
December 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM
First let me appologize for starting another App thread...but you didn't have to read it, I didn't make your mouse click the link(Sorry for the sarcasm)

I feel with a good team that ASU has, it might as well be discussed, we have joined elite company as only two schools, (I believe) Georgia Southern 3 times, and Younstown State once, and ASU are the only wons to have repeated as Champions. None have won 3 in a row and Appalachian, I believe has a good shot at it. Now, I want to know what other, educated folks think. There are certainly teams out there that can dethrone Appalachian, and yes, to pick one team 8 months before the start of the season as the National Champion is difficult and the field would be the safer 'bet'. I would just like to know everyone's opinion and why.

2nd Thank you to those of you who have voted and have had some comments. Winning a National Title is a BIG DEAL and shouldn't be taken lightly. If Appalachian State 3-peats it willnot be an easy road. But I do appreciate everyone's comments about ASU and others that would possibly via for a National Title.

I find this interesting, Thank You.

You'll learn one day..sarcasm and humor are my signature...xlolx

App should be proud. Great job this year and congrats on the win. :hurray:
I was just harrassing because about a month ago AGS turned into San Diego.com......guess these threads come in waves! :nod: xlolx

BrevardMountaineer03
December 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM
You'll learn one day..sarcasm and humor are my signature...xlolx

App should be proud. Great job this year and congrats on the win. :hurray:
I was just harrassing because about a month ago AGS turned into San Diego.com......guess these threads come in waves! :nod: xlolx

I guess when I first read your post it just rubbed me the wrong way. I just think this is a valid question and if UMass had won, I probably would have started a thread of whether they could repeat or not. It's just something on my mind.
Have a good Christmas......
Go App!

PantherRob82
December 23rd, 2006, 04:56 PM
I should probably buy 50 tickets to the NC, just in case App goes again. xlolx

Pantherpower
December 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM
With Edwards and Richardson returning, I don't know how in the heck they can't be in the discussion for 3. That being said, it would be highly unlikely for them to threepeat. Reasons being (as have been mentioned to some extent)

1) Team chemistry and leadership-Particularly chemistry, it simply changes year to year and I believe it's the most critical thing to have to make a successful run.

2) Minimal injuries-with a long season in a top notch conference like the SoCon, it's often the teams that can navigate through injury-free or close to it who move on to successful campaigns...for the most part, ASU has been able to do that for the past couple of seasons

3) TARGET-No, not the national retail chain:) I'd also add pressure. The Mountaineers handled it wonderfully in '06, no doubt. The pressure and target will mount with each success, however, and ASU will be receiving everyone's best shot...a credit to the incredible success they've had.

4) Matchups-Sooner or later, it stands to reason that the folks from ASU will get a team that they simply don't matchup with well. Not a team that's more talented than them, mind you, but a team that simply creates matchup problems.

5) Luck-kharma works both ways, and its bound to go the other way sooner or later for the Mountaineers. Yes, the harder you work, the luckier you get. However, sometimes it really does simply come down to good old fashioned luck. Certainly happened for the Panthers in '05 (until the strip of the ball by Murrell):bang:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 24th, 2006, 02:31 PM
With Edwards and Richardson returning, I don't know how in the heck they can't be in the discussion for 3. That being said, it would be highly unlikely for them to threepeat. Reasons being (as have been mentioned to some extent)

1) Team chemistry and leadership-Particularly chemistry, it simply changes year to year and I believe it's the most critical thing to have to make a successful run.

2) Minimal injuries-with a long season in a top notch conference like the SoCon, it's often the teams that can navigate through injury-free or close to it who move on to successful campaigns...for the most part, ASU has been able to do that for the past couple of seasons

3) TARGET-No, not the national retail chain:) I'd also add pressure. The Mountaineers handled it wonderfully in '06, no doubt. The pressure and target will mount with each success, however, and ASU will be receiving everyone's best shot...a credit to the incredible success they've had.

4) Matchups-Sooner or later, it stands to reason that the folks from ASU will get a team that they simply don't matchup with well. Not a team that's more talented than them, mind you, but a team that simply creates matchup problems.

5) Luck-kharma works both ways, and its bound to go the other way sooner or later for the Mountaineers. Yes, the harder you work, the luckier you get. However, sometimes it really does simply come down to good old fashioned luck. Certainly happened for the Panthers in '05 (until the strip of the ball by Murrell):bang:

You make some good points.
Some people claim that you can create your own luck, when you work hard and are well coached you tend to get the ball to bounce your way.

Matchups and Target/Pressure- The target has been there this year and Mountaineer fans and Alums have always had high expectations. We will be in the cross hairs of all SoCon foes and even our Out-Of-Conference Opponents. Everyone will want to be the ones to knock us off. Matchups will be a tough thing for opponents. We aren't a one-dimensional team, I think we are actually a 3 dimensional. We can run Richardson, we can run Edwards and we can throw. A team might be able to slow or shut down one of those, I don't see slowing all 3.

Chemistry will be up to the coaches. I see people coming together and following the leadership that is there.

Injuries will be key and just preparing kids to play...this will be the toughest thing to control.

To face the facts it will be hard to never lose a game in the FCS ever again, but our team is somewhat setup to make another run. IT WILL BE TOUGHER THIS YEAR THEN IN 06. But I think we have a team to beat.

You make excellent points.

Peems
December 24th, 2006, 02:57 PM
in the NAIA level carroll college of Helena, MT did a four peat but fell this year in the playoffs. Now here comes a big homer alert...THE GRIZ!!!! im not saying we will win but we return our best player(who didnt play last year) lex hilliard, we have our stud redshirt TBF who dominated in the playoffs. we return all our starters. lose one offensive lineman who is replaced by JD Quinn(the oklahoma transfer) on D we lose murphy and dlouhy but they are replaced with bierman(buck canidate) and some stud young fellers. In my Homer opinion if the griz OC gets his act together we could be a contender. Bergquist replaces swogger and he his much more mobile and he will have been in the system for 3 years. Now with all of that homerism i still think app will be around for sure. i dont know if they will go "undefeated" on the FCS level but they will be in the playoffs and they will definitely make a run.

lizrdgizrd
December 24th, 2006, 08:59 PM
in the NAIA level carroll college of Helena, MT did a four peat but fell this year in the playoffs. Now here comes a big homer alert...THE GRIZ!!!! im not saying we will win but we return our best player(who didnt play last year) lex hilliard, we have our stud redshirt TBF who dominated in the playoffs. we return all our starters. lose one offensive lineman who is replaced by JD Quinn(the oklahoma transfer) on D we lose murphy and dlouhy but they are replaced with bierman(buck canidate) and some stud young fellers. In my Homer opinion if the griz OC gets his act together we could be a contender. Bergquist replaces swogger and he his much more mobile and he will have been in the system for 3 years. Now with all of that homerism i still think app will be around for sure. i dont know if they will go "undefeated" on the FCS level but they will be in the playoffs and they will definitely make a run.
I don't care if we three-peat, just as long as our season ends in December with 4 straight wins! :smiley_wi

WyomingGrizFan
December 25th, 2006, 03:17 AM
I didn't know that North Dakota State was eligible for the playoffs until 2008. Wouldn't be a bad game though. I'd be pulling for the Bison if they did; at least against Appalachian State. Nothing personal Mountineers, just kindna favor western teams.

Death Dealer
December 25th, 2006, 06:07 PM
If anyone can do it, this team has the best shot of anyone in a long time.:nod: I voted no based solely on the odds being against them (way too many variables playing against them). But, if they stay healthy, stay focused, and all the stars and planets line up right, it will certainly be interesting (and potentially scary) to watch.

BEAR
December 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM
I think you are right about too many unknowns during the season. Injuries, conflicts of youthful pride, bad officiating (we know that never happens though--yeah right), bad games etc.. I have always understood it to be that any team that wins a naty doesn't necessarily do it because they are the best team, sometimes they get there with a little luck :thumbsup: or don't get there because of a little bad luck....:nod:
But if all goes well enough, just well enough....:bow:

KiddBrewer
December 11th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Thought id bring this one from last year back out for everyone to enjoy!

KiddBrewer
December 11th, 2007, 05:29 PM
the first reply other than app fans is from a delaware man....irony.....i cant wait til friday!

UMass922
December 11th, 2007, 05:39 PM
the first reply other than app fans is from a delaware man

Nope, it's from SeattleGriz, who's just showing off who he's rooting for on Friday . . .

KiddBrewer
December 11th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Nope, it's from SeattleGriz, who's just showing off who he's rooting for on Friday . . .

true, touche

AppMan
December 11th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Well, Well, Well..... Almost a year later and the Apps are knockin' on the door to number three!!

Mountaineer#96
December 11th, 2007, 06:15 PM
I should probably buy 50 tickets to the NC, just in case App goes again. xlolx

Well did ya? If so where they at you yankee! ;)

appybybirth
December 11th, 2007, 06:16 PM
This was really great to see and read. I have wondered where winning three straight football playoffs (division I) would rank in broader sports history. I think it is more difficult than three division i-a titles in football with the BCS. What about NCAA basketball tourney, which is more difficult three football playoff titles or three NCAA tourney titles?

Mountaineer#96
December 12th, 2007, 02:07 PM
bump....gotta bring it back to the stage.