PDA

View Full Version : Potential Buck Buchanan Award Candidates

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2006, 09:30 AM
If someone else talked about this I apologize but who do you all think will be on the list?

Here are mine:

DE Kroy Biermann, Montana, Sr.
DE Bryan Smith, McNeese State, Sr.
DE Ryan Shotwell, Cal Poly, So.
DE Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb, Sr.
DT Kendall Langford, Hampton, Sr.
OLB Gian Villante, Hofstra, Sr.
OLB Colin Disch, Albany, Sr.
ILB Jason Hatchell, UMASS, Sr.
ILB Mike Gallihugh, Colgate, Sr.
ILB Joe Mays, North Dakota State, Sr.
ILB Andrew Jones, Furman, Sr.
ILB Kye Stewart, Illinois State, Sr.
ILB Donald Thomas, Eastern Illinois, Sr.
FS Tony LeZotte, James Madison, Sr.
FS Corey Lynch, App State, Sr.
FS Bobbie Williams, Bethune-Cookman, Sr.

mcveyrl
December 21st, 2006, 09:32 AM
Don't forget Goloboski from Richmond (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...)

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2006, 09:35 AM
Don't forget Goloboski from Richmond (I'm sure I spelled that wrong...)

I thought he was a senior this past year?

mcveyrl
December 21st, 2006, 09:37 AM
I thought he was a senior this past year?

:doh: :doh:

You're right...

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2006, 09:50 AM
definitely won't be any Blue Hens on a pre-season list

appfan2008
December 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
corey lynch should get he has been an incredible player...
6 ints three different seasons!

CatFan22
December 21st, 2006, 11:26 AM
Bobby Daly, LB, Montana State

DinoDex200
December 21st, 2006, 11:48 AM
What does it matter? Cal Poly is just going to inflate one of their players stats and then stuff the ballot box for their 4th consecutive BB trophy. :rolleyes:

slostang
December 21st, 2006, 12:08 PM
What does it matter? Cal Poly is just going to inflate one of their players stats and then stuff the ballot box for their 4th consecutive BB trophy. :rolleyes:
Works for me.:smiley_wi

Cobblestone
December 21st, 2006, 12:52 PM
If someone else talked about this I apologize but who do you all think will be on the list?

Here are mine:

Good list. Lynch impresses me, he hits like John Lynch. I'd like to add one of our players to the list. Not saying he's a top candidate but I think LB L.T. Brantley, who put up some good numbers last season is worth mentioning.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 12:55 PM
corey lynch should get he has been an incredible player...
6 ints three different seasons!

I wouldn't say that Lynch is a frontrunner, but he is one heck of a player. Playing with a broken arm and still finding at least 2 picks in the playoffs...

slostang
December 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM
Another Cal Poly player to keep an eye on is Mark Restelli. He has played Rover the last two seasons and will probably move to Mike LB this spring to replace Kyle Shotwell. He had 83 tackles his freshman season in 2005 and 57 tackles and led the GWFC in passes defended in 2006.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 01:34 PM
I wouldn't say that Lynch is a frontrunner, but he is one heck of a player. Playing with a broken arm and still finding at least 2 picks in the playoffs...
Three picks — Lynch had one in each of his three games back from the broken arm.

AggieFinn
December 21st, 2006, 02:04 PM
I'll throw in #11 DE James Amos and #99 DT John Faletoese as possibles. They've been starting for the last 2 years, Faletoese has been 1st Team Great West in his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Seems like linebackers get the award though. It's not a linebacker award only is it?

mistersykes
December 21st, 2006, 02:09 PM
App's Gary Tharrington is worth mentioning, but I think he's probably a year away.

grizbeer
December 21st, 2006, 04:58 PM
I would add Tyler Joyce from Montana. I would think Biermann's numbers might be down a little this year, as he won't have Murphy on the other side and teams will key on him more.

slostang
December 21st, 2006, 06:00 PM
I'll throw in #11 DE James Amos and #99 DT John Faletoese as possibles. They've been starting for the last 2 years, Faletoese has been 1st Team Great West in his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. Seems like linebackers get the award though. It's not a linebacker award only is it?
Both Amos and Faletoese are great players. Gocong won it last year as a DE and DE Jared Allen two years before that so both have a good chance.

appfan2008
December 21st, 2006, 09:38 PM
How about Pierre Banks from ASU he played great this year and will be a senior leader and great linebacker next year

spelunker64
December 22nd, 2006, 08:33 AM
Watch out GWFC and anyone else willing to play us.

Pauly LB
December 26th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Anyone else???

NDSUFREAK
December 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM
:bow:
Watch out GWFC and anyone else willing to play us.

http://www.in-forum.com/gfx/photos/stories/20050809bison-mays-09.jpg
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

JOE MAYS!!!!!

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 11:55 PM
I would add Tyler Joyce from Montana. I would think Biermann's numbers might be down a little this year, as he won't have Murphy on the other side and teams will key on him more.

I agree, I think Joyce will be a sleeper as far as the list goes early in the year but will be right up there by the end of it. And I just have a feeling that Biermann is going to have a monster year. Your rationale view appears to be less influenced by your Griz bias than mine though.:thumbsup:

WyomingGrizFan
December 27th, 2006, 12:39 AM
How can (sophomore) Bob Daly really be seriously considered when he isn't even rated the best defensive player on his own team? (junior) Epikopo King was selected second team BSC Defense @ OLB while Daly was only Honorable Mention Defense @ ILB.

ysubigred
December 27th, 2006, 06:15 AM
SR James Terry LB YSU

He should get mentioned. If he stay's healthy he could just win the friggen thing :thumbsup: :eek:

Canyoncat
December 27th, 2006, 10:01 AM
How can (sophomore) Bob Daly really be seriously considered when he isn't even rated the best defensive player on his own team? (junior) Epikopo King was selected second team BSC Defense @ OLB while Daly was only Honorable Mention Defense @ ILB.

Good question. However in my opinion Daly out played King though out the season and should have received at least 2nd team all bsc. Daly had more tackles, more tackles for loss. Daly seemed to be in just about every play this year. Granted King was hurt most of the year, but Daly did have the better year.

Black and Gold Express
December 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Another Cal Poly player to keep an eye on is Mark Restelli. He has played Rover the last two seasons and will probably move to Mike LB this spring to replace Kyle Shotwell. He had 83 tackles his freshman season in 2005 and 57 tackles and led the GWFC in passes defended in 2006.

Well there you go, there's the 2007 winner, whether he deserves it the most or not. He has that green CP helmet so it's as good as his. :rolleyes:

JohnStOnge
December 27th, 2006, 10:30 AM

What impresses me the most about Lynch when I've watched him is his tackling. I think having safeties that are sure tacklers is very important and he's definitely a very sure tackler.

Mr. C
December 27th, 2006, 11:03 AM
What impresses me the most about Lynch when I've watched him is his tackling. I think having safeties that are sure tacklers is very important and he's definitely a very sure tackler.
And in the playoffs, remember that Lynch was tackling people with a broken arm, being held together by a plate and some screws.

Lynch is also an extremely nice kid and one of the team's best leaders. He, Trey Elder and Daniel Bettis, among others on the team, attend the same church as my family does. My kids absolutely love the guy. He is their favorite player. They actually went out and bought Corey a get-well card when he broke his arm.

From the day he stepped on the field, Lynch has had this uncanny knack for making big plays (remember the blocked field goal against Furman that he returned for a long TD in a 7-7 game?). He had three interceptions in the playoffs, more than any other defensive player and all of them were in the fourth quarter.

Mr. C
December 27th, 2006, 11:43 AM

Here are mine:

Most of these guys have ZERO chance of winning the Buchanan. Either they play from conferences that are not going to get them support, or they lack the name recognition to gain enough support.

Probably the top candidates right now would be Smith, Biermann, Lynch and Hatchell, with LeZotte and Stewart probably less so. For guys like Lynch and Hatchell, it helps having a lot of your games on national TV. LeZotte will need to overcome some negative perceptions. I heard from several coaches and media types that people in A-10 land didn't think LeZotte had a very good junior year. LeZotte is seen a lot as a player who is good at stopping the run, but isn't all that good as a pass defender.

Shotwell has name recogntion for another reason, with his brother winning the Buchanan this year and has the Cal Poly factor. But Cal Poly could struggle next season, due to a lot of reasons, and Shotwell will be a junior, so he might have a better chance in 2008.

mcveyrl
December 27th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I heard from several coaches and media types that people in A-10 land didn't think LeZotte had a very good junior year. LeZotte is seen a lot as a player who is good at stopping the run, but isn't all that good as a pass defender.

I agree. LeZotte had a subpar junior year, particularly for all the hype he received going in. Some of that was probably due to the LBs having great years. I also think his pass defense is suspect.

Overall, I think you've either got to have a monster year (like Jordan) or have a lot of hype going into the year coupled with a good year to be considered.

While I think he'll be good, I don't think LeZotte has the hype and I don't think he'll have a monster year.

slostang
December 27th, 2006, 03:18 PM
Shotwell has name recogntion for another reason, with his brother winning the Buchanan this year and has the Cal Poly factor. But Cal Poly could struggle next season, due to a lot of reasons, and Shotwell will be a junior, so he might have a better chance in 2008.
Shotwell was a redshirt freshman this season and will be a soph. in 2007.

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Well there you go, there's the 2007 winner, whether he deserves it the most or not. He has that green CP helmet so it's as good as his. :rolleyes:

Is this a legitimate concern? You are not the first person to hint at something like that? Did I miss something?

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Is this a legitimate concern? You are not the first person to hint at something like that? Did I miss something?

just that CP has dominated the award as of late.

Mr. C
December 27th, 2006, 06:24 PM
The Buchanan Award is voted on by a divergent group of people from around the country (including your's truly). There is no conspiracy stuff on this. Jordan Beck and Chris Gocong were legitimate picks. Kyle Shotwell won in what was a pretty wide-open race. It's more a coincidence than anything else. App State might do better with its candidates, if the Sports Information Department were doing a better job of promoting them.

Black and Gold Express
December 27th, 2006, 10:45 PM
App State might do better with its candidates, if the Sports Information Department were doing a better job of promoting them.

You aren't the first one to hint at that, but I think things are getting better with the new regime in office.