PDA

View Full Version : Nevada drops Idaho from 2017 schedule

tigonian02
July 14th, 2016, 02:04 PM
Saw this on the Sunbelt board. Originally slated to be the first game of a home and home. They then picked up Idaho State as a replacement.

Grizalltheway
July 14th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

Model Citizen
July 14th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Sarcasm aside... different scene now than when Idaho and Nevada were in the Big West. Kind of sad, actually.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Sarcasm aside... different scene now than when John L. Smith's Vandals played Nevada. Kind of sad, actually.

Yes. It also isn't a surprise at all that the H&H games are gonna jettisoned. Because of Idaho losing four out five in a H&H series with Montana the FBS leagues started to say "no way" to being able to do that so Nevada would probably be restricted from honoring that one as it is in 2018 or later which would be ID's first year back to FCS.

The one and dones have a chance of surviving on the schedule but any H&H's probably do not.

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Yes. It also isn't a surprise at all that the H&H games are gonna jettisoned. Because of Idaho losing four out five in a H&H series with Montana the FBS leagues started to say "no way" to being able to do that so Nevada would probably be restricted from honoring that one as it is in 2018 or later which would be ID's first year back to FCS.

The one and dones have a chance of surviving on the schedule but any H&H's probably do not.

This....which is why I'm surprised this is even news...or much of a surprise period.

Anthony215
July 14th, 2016, 02:55 PM

Many folks here in Philly are wondering if the Vandals will still be making the trip to Philadelphia to play the Temple Owls in 2020 with them dropping down to FBS. Temple already has Villanova on the schedule (a game that will have over 30k in the stands) so it makes no sense playing 2 FCS teams and only 1 of those wins counting towards bowl-eligibility. The payout was probably only 100k anyways which be enough to make financial sense when the average airfare from Moscow to Philly roundtrip is about 1300-1500. Then there is still the lodging bill as well as dining. At the most they'd pocket a few thousand bucks after feeding, transporting and housing 65 players, 14 coaching members, equipment staff members, physicians and cheerleaders.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2016, 03:01 PM
Many folks here in Philly are wondering if the Vandals will still be making the trip to Philadelphia to play the Temple Owls in 2020 with them dropping down to FBS. Temple already has Villanova on the schedule (a game that will have over 30k in the stands) so it makes no sense playing 2 FCS teams and only 1 of those wins counting towards bowl-eligibility. The payout was probably only 100k anyways which be enough to make financial sense when the average airfare from Moscow to Philly roundtrip is about 1300-1500. Then there is still the lodging bill as well as dining. At the most they'd pocket a few thousand bucks after feeding, transporting and housing 65 players, 14 coaching members, equipment staff members, physicians and cheerleaders.

What? They were only getting 100k? Holy **** why would they do that? That is as piss poor an FBS payout as I have ever heard of. Are you sure that is not just the buyout?

Anthony215
July 14th, 2016, 03:15 PM
What? They were only getting 100k? Holy **** why would they do that? That is as piss poor an FBS payout as I have ever heard of. Are you sure that is not just the buyout?

Sorry that was the buyout lol. Temple made the trip to Idaho back in 2013 as part of an Home and Home. But as an FCS school at this point I'm sure Temple won't pay over 100k for a home game against a school who won't bring more than 50 fans to the stadium or attract any television coverage along with not counting towards bowl eligibility. Doesn't make financial sense for either school. Both schools needed each other when the deal was signed as Temple was leaving the MAC and need schedule fillers and Idaho needed out of conference games to fill their schedule as well.

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Sorry that was the buyout lol. Temple made the trip to Idaho back in 2013 as part of an Home and Home. But as an FCS school at this point I'm sure Temple won't pay over 100k for a home game against a school who won't bring more than 50 fans to the stadium or attract any television coverage along with not counting towards bowl eligibility. Doesn't make financial sense for either school. Both schools needed each other when the deal was signed as Temple was leaving the MAC and need schedule fillers and Idaho needed out of conference games to fill their schedule as well.

..............................what?

http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsu-fills-out-football-schedule-delaware-state

NDSU paid Delaware St. 200k...have paid many others even more for guarantee games....

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2016, 03:23 PM

Makes more sense. I don't even know how you could get a 1/2 decent FCS team for anywhere near that price. I think Montana wasn't goinf for anything less than 650k even back in like 2010 and I know NDSU isn't going to command much less and they beat most FBS anyway so I can see why people would really want to avoid them anyway...but 100k...that is crap.

The Villanova game makes all the sense in the world for sure.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 14th, 2016, 03:24 PM
..............................what?

http://www.inforum.com/content/ndsu-fills-out-football-schedule-delaware-state

NDSU paid Delaware St. 200k...have paid many others even more for guarantee games....

Yeah, I wasn't even gonna mention that FCS teams pay better than that...I left it at "it's crap" and nobody decent would even look at that insult.

BisonFan02
July 14th, 2016, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I wasn't even gonna mention that FCS teams pay better than that...I left it at "it's crap" and nobody decent would even look at that insult.

I guess I wouldn't pay 100k for a home game either if you can't fill the stadium. Having the FBS badge attached to your school, it pays a hell of a lot better to whore yourself out to a P5 school for a payday.

Go Lehigh TU owl
July 14th, 2016, 04:23 PM

Nice to see another Temple fan! Welcome aboard!

Temple definitely needs to get out their game against Idaho. It benefits neither party at this point...

Catbooster
July 14th, 2016, 08:47 PM
I think we've paid something approaching that to bring in a DII team (although I may be remembering wrong).

bonarae
July 15th, 2016, 03:24 AM
Meanwhile...

How will Idaho fill its OOC once they're back in the FCS? PFL? Ivies? NAIA/D-II? xchinscratchx

Son of Eli
July 15th, 2016, 05:47 AM
Meanwhile...

How will Idaho fill its OOC once they're back in the FCS? PFL? Ivies? NAIA/D-II? xchinscratchx

My concern is getting the Ivies back on FBS schedules. Other than Dartmouth playing Army in 2022 there's nothing.

bonarae
July 15th, 2016, 06:22 AM
My concern is getting the Ivies back on FBS schedules. Other than Dartmouth playing Army in 2022 there's nothing.

Me also, but the Presidents are watering our football down, and there's no hope or miracle in sight. xsmhx

Anthony215
July 15th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Nice to see another Temple fan! Welcome aboard!

Temple definitely needs to get out their game against Idaho. It benefits neither party at this point...

Exactly scheduling FCS teams for Temple we need to keep it to regional teams. I'd love to see Lehigh, Lafayette, Delaware, Nova all on rotation. The payout for those games won't be nearly as much simply because they are all within a 2 hour bus ride. Idaho I'm sure can find another FCS game or possibly even a D2 game to pad their win total. I wonder how long Paul Petrino will stay there since they're dropping down to FCS although I'm sure he knew what he was getting himself into when he took the job at a struggling and small school.

Son of Eli
July 15th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Exactly scheduling FCS teams for Temple we need to keep it to regional teams. I'd love to see Lehigh, Lafayette, Delaware, Nova all on rotation. The payout for those games won't be nearly as much simply because they are all within a 2 hour bus ride. Idaho I'm sure can find another FCS game or possibly even a D2 game to pad their win total. I wonder how long Paul Petrino will stay there since they're dropping down to FCS although I'm sure he knew what he was getting himself into when he took the job at a struggling and small school.

How about Yale to replace Idaho on Temple's schedule for 2020? Since Temple is already playing Villanova the bowl counter status is irrelevant. Yale is one of the best drawing teams in FCS and regional so it will put many more fans in your seats than Idaho. There's a lot of Yale alumni who live in the northeast corridor who would go to that game. For example, Yale's 2014 game against Army drew over 34,000. Plus Yale has a relationship with Under Armour to market their games. The two schools are playing in basketball this year so there are increasing ties between the two schools.

BadlandsGrizFan
July 15th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I think we've paid something approaching that to bring in a DII team (although I may be remembering wrong).

I bet it hurt even worse after they beat you?

Bison56
July 15th, 2016, 09:31 AM

xbowx

BisonFan02
July 15th, 2016, 09:36 AM

What did you pay DII NDSU to beat you?

tigonian02
July 15th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Yeah I think that's the buyout. Auburn is paying GS 1.3 million to play them, so I'd be shocked if Idaho would have gotten anything less than 400 or 500k

Anthony215
July 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM
How about Yale to replace Idaho on Temple's schedule for 2020? Since Temple is already playing Villanova the bowl counter status is irrelevant. Yale is one of the best drawing teams in FCS and regional so it will put many more fans in your seats than Idaho. There's a lot of Yale alumni who live in the northeast corridor who would go to that game. For example, Yale's 2014 game against Army drew over 34,000. Plus Yale has a relationship with Under Armour to market their games. The two schools are playing in basketball this year so there are increasing ties between the two schools.

I didn't know the Ivies were permitted to play FBS teams. I thought the Army/Yale game was done on an exception as most Ivies have filled their OCC schedule with Pioneer, CAA, NEC & Patriot League teams. However if Yale were given the thumbs up I'm all for them coming down 95 to the Linc. As you said they'd draw plenty from their alumni and the announced crowd would easily be around 30-45k. Penn could do the same thing with going down to University of Maryland as a lot of Penn alumni are in the DC area.

Schism55
July 15th, 2016, 07:21 PM
What did you pay DII NDSU to beat you?
Ohhhh snap!

dgtw
July 15th, 2016, 09:35 PM
An FBS school could not count an Ivy League team towards bowl eligibility because the Ivies do not offer scholarships.

Son of Eli
July 15th, 2016, 10:22 PM
I didn't know the Ivies were permitted to play FBS teams. I thought the Army/Yale game was done on an exception as most Ivies have filled their OCC schedule with Pioneer, CAA, NEC & Patriot League teams. However if Yale were given the thumbs up I'm all for them coming down 95 to the Linc. As you said they'd draw plenty from their alumni and the announced crowd would easily be around 30-45k. Penn could do the same thing with going down to University of Maryland as a lot of Penn alumni are in the DC area.

The Ivy League is permitted to play FBS teams. It's just that a special waiver would be needed by the NCAA for the game to have bowl counter status beacause the Ivy League doesn't offer athletic scholarships. However, in the case where an Ivy opponent is the second FCS opponent on the schedule it really doesn't matter as only one FCS victory can be counted towards bowl eligibility according to NCAA rules. As Idaho is the second FCS opponent on Temple's 2020 schedule ( Villanova the other ) it would make more sense for Temple to play Yale than Idaho.

Bisonwinagn
July 15th, 2016, 11:45 PM
Meanwhile...

Extra Big SKY teams and MVC teams I'm sure have openings.

tierre
July 16th, 2016, 03:32 AM
It wouldn't make sense to for Nevada to play them if they were FCS. When the WAC folded it was a wrap for Idaho.

ST_Lawson
July 16th, 2016, 07:50 AM
Extra Big SKY teams and MVC teams I'm sure have openings.

We could use an OOC game...only have one OOC on the schedule (now that Northwestern backed out of their game with us), so we could use another opponent.

Gangtackle11
July 16th, 2016, 08:42 AM
How about Yale to replace Idaho on Temple's schedule for 2020? Since Temple is already playing Villanova the bowl counter status is irrelevant.

Just an FYI.

There is no official announcement of Villanova playing Temple in 2020 that I'm aware of.

Cats play Temple in 2017/18.

Go Green
July 17th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Meanwhile...

Teevens has said he wants to play around the country.

http://www.greenalertfootball.com/teevens-qa.html

Is the Army contract for 2022 firm, and would you like to play other FBS teams? Yes it is set in stone. The contract is signed. Now having said that, they can buy their way out of a contract. That’s one of the things that you find. The challenge a IA program faces is that wins over all IAA teams no longer qualifiy to determine bowl berths. So it deters the IA’s from scheduling the IAA’s. That said, we would like to schedule some good teams from around the country. Like a Montana or Montana State. We would like to go out to that section of the world. We feel like, programmatically, we can compete successfully with some of the top teams at our level.

BisonFan02
July 17th, 2016, 08:43 AM

Is the Army contract for 2022 firm, and would you like to play other FBS teams? Yes it is set in stone. The contract is signed. Now having said that, they can buy their way out of a contract. That’s one of the things that you find. The challenge a IA program faces is that wins over all IAA teams no longer qualifiy to determine bowl berths. So it deters the IA’s from scheduling the IAA’s. That said, we would like to schedule some good teams from around the country. Like a Montana or Montana State. We would like to go out to that section of the world. We feel like, programmatically, we can compete successfully with some of the top teams at our level.

Wins over "1-AA" no longer qualify for bowl births? Maybe Ivy teams........

Son of Eli
July 17th, 2016, 11:00 AM

I don't think that's the case. As long as the FCS team offers the required athletic scholarships they have bowl counter status for FBS teams. Can you clarify your assertion that FCS no longer has bowl counter status? Maybe just for the new FBS playoffs???

BisonFan02
July 17th, 2016, 12:38 PM
I don't think that's the case. As long as the FCS team offers the required athletic scholarships they have bowl counter status for FBS teams. Can you clarify your assertion that FCS no longer has bowl counter status? Maybe just for the new FBS playoffs???

Tell that to the SEC schools.....it doesn't and the info is incorrect...your comment about the required scholarships is correct as far as I know.

Go Green
July 17th, 2016, 02:07 PM
. Can you clarify your assertion that FCS no longer has bowl counter status? Maybe just for the new FBS playoffs???

That's a quote from Teevens from the link.

tierre
July 17th, 2016, 03:27 PM
The SEC can get away with scheduling 1 FCS school per year because the SOS is strong enough in conference they can get away with it.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 17th, 2016, 03:50 PM
The SEC can get away with scheduling 1 FCS school per year because the SOS is strong enough in conference they can get away with it.

Doesn't matter, FCS scholarships programs are still counters so it doesn't hurt them in that regard was I think what the point was. I believe Teevens should have said "Ivy" as opposed to including all FCS or IAA as he described it.

Go...gate
July 18th, 2016, 12:18 AM

Is the Army contract for 2022 firm, and would you like to play other FBS teams? Yes it is set in stone. The contract is signed. Now having said that, they can buy their way out of a contract. That’s one of the things that you find. The challenge a IA program faces is that wins over all IAA teams no longer qualify to determine bowl berths. So it deters the IA’s from scheduling the IAA’s. That said, we would like to schedule some good teams from around the country. Like a Montana or Montana State. We would like to go out to that section of the world. We feel like, programmatically, we can compete successfully with some of the top teams at our level.

??????????

bonarae
July 18th, 2016, 03:18 AM
??????????

Well... it has since been corrected in earlier posts in this thread, please see Ursus' post, reprinted below.

Doesn't matter, FCS scholarships programs are still counters so it doesn't hurt them in that regard was I think what the point was. I believe Teevens should have said "Ivy" as opposed to including all FCS or IAA as he described it.

Anwyay, my stand on this is that the Ivies will have difficulties getting any opponents on their schedules unless they change their scheduling pattern in the first place - i.e., their scheduling pattern should be consistent with what the rest of the FCS has - first three games should be all OOC, then the rest is all Ivy play. The present pattern hasn't been changed since the 2000 season. xsmhx

RootinFerDukes
July 18th, 2016, 05:19 AM
Why does the Ivy League start their season so late and I think only have 10 games? 7 league games and how many OOC?
Is this because you have the yearly quarter schedule instead of the standard semester schedule? They don't want the student athletes starting before classes start?

Go Green
July 18th, 2016, 05:33 AM
Why does the Ivy League start their season so late and I think only have 10 games? 7 league games and how many OOC?
Is this because you have the yearly quarter schedule instead of the standard semester schedule? They don't want the student athletes starting before classes start?

I think only Dartmouth has the quarter system--and that *is* one of the reasons we start late.

We had just nine games until 1980. Getting the 10th game was considered a big deal at the time. There is a great reluctance among Ivy presidents to do anything that even resembles emphasizing football. It's extremely frustrating among Ivy football fans, who have been trying to get an 11th game for several decades now.

I suppose we could "expand" the season by starting a week earlier and utilizing a "bye" week. But no one seems to be pushing for that.

bonarae
July 18th, 2016, 05:35 AM
The Ivy League football corundum is every loyal fan's dilemma too, and we don't know if the Presidents did the constricting and restricting of football by design way back in the 1950's. Three OOC games is all we've got, and the remaining 7 games are league games. In addition, the FCS kickoff time is usually reserved for intersquad "scrimmages", which we want to get rid of for years already.

I'm not sure if the student-athletes starting before classes start thing is really true. Check Harvard's FAS calendar (http://registrar.fas.harvard.edu/five-year-calendar), for instance. (2016-17 is the third year in the sequence) The fall finals, in Harvard's case, start during the FCS playoffs (I think between 2nd round and quarterfinals) and ends after the national semifinals. All eight Ivies do not schedule games or participate in outside tournaments during finals time, in all winter sports.

Son of Eli
July 18th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Well... it has since been corrected in earlier posts in this thread, please see Ursus' post, reprinted below.

Anyway, my stand on this is that the Ivies will have difficulties getting any opponents on their schedules unless they change their scheduling pattern in the first place - i.e., their scheduling pattern should be consistent with what the rest of the FCS has - first three games should be all OOC, then the rest is all Ivy play. The present pattern hasn't been changed since the 2000 season. xsmhx

Starting the season two weeks earlier with everybody else and adding an eleventh game would also help the Ivies with scheduling. If a school is out of session at that point (I think only Princeton is) then their first game or two can be road games.

Son of Eli
July 18th, 2016, 06:16 AM
The Ivy League football corundum is every loyal fan's dilemma too, and we don't know if the Presidents did the constricting and restricting of football by design way back in the 1950's. Three OOC games is all we've got, and the remaining 7 games are league games. In addition, the FCS kickoff time is usually reserved for intersquad "scrimmages", which we want to get rid of for years already.

I'm not sure if the student-athletes starting before classes start thing is really true. Check Harvard's FAS calendar (http://registrar.fas.harvard.edu/five-year-calendar), for instance. (2016-17 is the third year in the sequence) The fall finals, in Harvard's case, start during the FCS playoffs (I think between 2nd round and quarterfinals) and ends after the national semifinals. All eight Ivies do not schedule games or participate in outside tournaments during finals time, in all winter sports.

But the Ivies do participate in tournaments during finals time in spring sports, e.g. Lacrosse.

Son of Eli
July 18th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I think only Dartmouth has the quarter system--and that *is* one of the reasons we start late.

We had just nine games until 1980. Getting the 10th game was considered a big deal at the time. There is a great reluctance among Ivy presidents to do anything that even resembles emphasizing football. It's extremely frustrating among Ivy football fans, who have been trying to get an 11th game for several decades now.

I suppose we could "expand" the season by starting a week earlier and utilizing a "bye" week. But no one seems to be pushing for that.

The Ivy League only went to a ten game schedule in 1980 because they were forced to by the NCAA which set that requirement. Hopefully the NCAA will someday mandate an eleven game schedule for Division I teams. I doubt the Ivy presidents would choose a demotion to Division III rather than accept that.

Model Citizen
July 18th, 2016, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Go Green;2353754...trying to get an 11th game for several decades now.

I suppose we could "expand" the season by starting a week earlier and utilizing a "bye" week. [/QUOTE]

The Ivies are already at the 11-game limit, because they play intersquad scrimmages during the bye week--usually against other Ivies. Can't believe they'd rather do that than make a trip to Valparaiso, Indiana. xrotatehx

Laker
July 18th, 2016, 09:41 AM
The Ivy League only went to a ten game schedule in 1980 because they were forced to by the NCAA which set that requirement. Hopefully the NCAA will someday mandate an eleven game schedule for Division I teams. I doubt the Ivy presidents would choose a demotion to Division III rather than accept that.

I remember in high school that Ohio State under Woody Hayes would only play nine games when everyone else was playing ten. Don't know why he would do that because they would fill the stadium even if they played a cupcake, but Woody was stubborn. Then suddenly they joined the rest of the world.

PAllen
July 18th, 2016, 02:10 PM
Why would Temple owe anything for cancelling the return game for an away game that they already played? Did Idaho pay them a guarantee for the first game?

Anthony215
July 18th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Why would Temple owe anything for cancelling the return game for an away game that they already played? Did Idaho pay them a guarantee for the first game?

I would assume it would be a breach of contract considering Idaho would be looking to capitalize financially as well as somehow use the East Coast trip as a recruiting tool. Hopefully in the contract it stated that both teams had to be at the FBS level or there is no breach of contract. Villanova isn't on the schedule in 2020 so maybe they do stay on the schedule as Temple's give me cupcake game with an FCS foe. IMO it would serve Idaho better to find a Midwestern team that requires less travel so they can pocket more of the payout playing an FBS team. I know the Big 10 banned teams from playing FCS foes but the Big 12, SEC, PAC 12 and MWC still play FCS squads.

Franks Tanks
July 18th, 2016, 02:36 PM
The Ivies are already at the 11-game limit, because they play intersquad scrimmages during the bye week--usually against other Ivies. Can't believe they'd rather do that than make a trip to Valparaiso, Indiana. xrotatehx

The Ivies don't have a bye week. Some schools still do the scrimmages, but not sure they play against other Ivies, but rather try to get a local D-II or III school if possible. I recall Brown used to scrimmage Bryant when they were still D-II. In any event, ending the scrimmage would be very easy.

Why do the Ivies do what they do? Because they want to. There are several reasons "why" but they don't make much sense. Simply put they want to be different, and take several actions to do so, in an effort to make the appearance that they don't care too much about football.

UAalum72
July 18th, 2016, 03:49 PM
The Division I minimum is now nine games, unless then there were different rules for Major Conferences, which the Ivy still was in 1980.

20.9.6.3 Minimum Contests and Participants Requirements for Sports Sponsorship. In each sport,the institution’s team shall engage in at least a minimum number of intercollegiate contests (against four-year, degree-granting collegiate institutions) each year. In the individual sports, the institution’s team shall include a minimum number of participants in each contest that is counted toward meeting the minimum-contests requirement. The following minimums are applicable: (Revised: 1/11/94 effective 9/1/94, 1/12/99, 1/25/02 effective 8/1/02, 10/31/02, 4/28/05 effective 8/1/05 1/17/09 effective 8/1/09, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11, 1/18/14 effective 8/1/14, 7/31/15)

Team Sports Minimum Contests
Baseball 27
Basketball 25
Women’s Beach Volleyball 8
Field Hockey 11
Football 9 ...

Go Green
July 18th, 2016, 04:00 PM
The Division I minimum is now nine games, ...

That was my understanding. There were times in the I-AA/FCS era where Ivy teams played nine games. 2001 was one of them (Saturday games after 9-11 were canceled and never made up). And one year Penn just got stood up by either Lafayette or Lehigh and couldn't find a replacement.

Model Citizen
July 18th, 2016, 04:27 PM
The Ivies don't have a bye week.

In terms of an 11-game schedule, yes, they have a bye week. All of them play scrimmages, and most are played against other Ivies. The NCAA counts the scrimmages toward the limit.

bonarae
July 18th, 2016, 05:19 PM
But shouldn't we petition them or the NCAA to not count the scrimmages as part of the schedule anymore? xchinscratchx

Model Citizen
July 18th, 2016, 07:12 PM
Playing Devil's advocate ..

Princeton -or whoever- is not just scrimmaging. They're playing another school's team. Why shouldn't this be counted as a game?

They don't want to screw up the league schedule, so they call it a scrimmage. But that shouldn't give them a pass.

Not an issue, of course, until they actually want to put an eleventh game on the official schedule.

poly51
July 19th, 2016, 12:15 AM

Cal Poly is on the quarter system. Their first home game is usually before school starts.

dgtw
July 20th, 2016, 06:38 PM
Playing Devil's advocate ..

Princeton -or whoever- is not just scrimmaging. They're playing another school's team. Why shouldn't this be counted as a game?

They don't want to screw up the league schedule, so they call it a scrimmage. But that shouldn't give them a pass.

Not an issue, of course, until they actually want to put an eleventh game on the official schedule.

Are the scrimmages real games, using standard rules or is it more like a Spring game?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bonarae
July 20th, 2016, 06:51 PM
More like Spring games, actually. They are also closed to the public as well, FYI.

tierre
July 20th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Idaho was in a bad predicament.

1. They have an overall losing record
2. They have been in FBS since 1996 but only have had 4 winning seasons.
3. The WAC disbanding did them in as they were not even average

Anthony215
July 21st, 2016, 08:17 AM
Idaho was in a bad predicament.

1. They have an overall losing record
2. They have been in FBS since 1996 but only have had 4 winning seasons.
3. The WAC disbanding did them in as they were not even average

Lets not forget another 3 huge factors going against Idaho in their attempt for success at the FBS level.

A. The Dome is a dump and below average facility to watch an college football game.
B. Little to no fan base to support the mandatory 15k attendance mark for FBS status.
C. The state of Idaho isn't big so getting out of state kids to come to Idaho is a challenge and without a winning history its hard for kids to choose winning 4-6 games in 4 years as opposed to taking an FCS offer from a ranked team.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 21st, 2016, 03:29 PM
Lets not forget another 3 huge factors going against Idaho in their attempt for success at the FBS level.

A. The Dome is a dump and below average facility to watch an college football game.
B. Little to no fan base to support the mandatory 15k attendance mark for FBS status.
C. The state of Idaho isn't big so getting out of state kids to come to Idaho is a challenge and without a winning history its hard for kids to choose winning 4-6 games in 4 years as opposed to taking an FCS offer from a ranked team.

Mandatory 15k might be too strong a phrasing.:D

tigonian02
July 21st, 2016, 05:02 PM
Since it vaguely pertains to this conversation...the recent events of the ACC announcing their new network and forcing the B12 to reconsider expansion could turn into another full blown realignment depending on how many teams get the call and what conferences are raided. Could be the lifeline that NMSU was looking for in getting into the MWC, Sunbelt, or maybe even CUSA (although they have 14 teams...they'd have to lose a lot). I still think that Idaho is doomed (blessed?) to play FCS football for the forseeable future.

NY Crusader 2010
July 21st, 2016, 06:07 PM
I still think that Idaho is doomed (blessed?) to play FCS football for the forseeable future.

If anything, FCS schools will get invited to CUSA/Sun Belt before Idaho gets a call. Time to just keep hiking to the Big Sky without looking back. My guess is that BYU and Cincinnati go to the B12 and AAC then responds by poaching CUSA (most likely Rice but also potentially Marshall or Old Dominion). CUSA can then stand pat at 13 unless they find that UMass would be such a great addition that they take them in for football only. And the dominoes could end there...

Anthony215
July 22nd, 2016, 08:32 AM
I think Houston, BYU, Cincy and Memphis get poached to the Big 12, The ACC counters by inviting UCONN & Temple to get up to 16 teams. The AAC will have no choice but to pouch ODU, Marshall and Rice from CUSA and hope Army joins them as well as UMASS.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2016, 11:30 AM
I think we have a realignment thread, or several, so maybe we ought to bump that one up and keep this going over there.

ursus arctos horribilis
July 22nd, 2016, 11:32 AM
I think we have a realignment thread, or several, so maybe we ought to bump that one up and keep this going over there.

Here it is.

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?181685-quot-The-Split-quot-When-and-how-much&highlight=realignment