PDA

View Full Version : FCS Upsets Against FBS In 2016

SU DOG
July 6th, 2016, 10:16 AM
From Bleacher Report's Brian Pederson, an upset alert slide show of possible FCS wins against FBS teams in 2016. Several of these seem to be more for attention grabbing than actually plausible. xeyebrowx Anyhow, here is the link.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2648255-fbs-teams-on-upset-alert-vs-fcs-opponents-in-2016

ElonFirefighter
July 6th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I would say Elon has their best chance at an FBS upset this year. While we are no where near where we were in 2006-2008 we did beat UNCC as our only win a few seasons back and uncc hasn't improved at a much different rate then Elon.

PantherRob82
July 6th, 2016, 04:36 PM
NW State over Baylor? xsmhx

BisonFan02
July 6th, 2016, 04:39 PM
NW State over Baylor? xsmhx

Big 12 click bait.....Baylor could be a mess though (...but yeah, not that opponent).

catamount man
July 6th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Western Carolina over South Carolina November 19. GO CATS!!!

SeattleBobcat
July 6th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Some odds picks, the only one I really see maybe happening is NDSU over Iowa. Plenty of other games where FCS squads will beat FBS foes.

JSUSoutherner
July 6th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I expect South Carolina to still be in dumpster fire mode so I will definitely be rooting for the Cats to take down the fake Gamecocks.

JALMOND
July 7th, 2016, 01:26 AM
I really don't think history will repeat itself and Portland State wins both of their FBS games, but if I had to pick one, I'd say the San Jose State game would be a better chance for an upset that Washington, although a win over U-Dubya would be much appreciated in these parts.

Smitty
July 7th, 2016, 06:35 AM

I would also take Western over East Carolina at the beginning of the year

Catatonic
July 7th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Big 12 click bait.....Baylor could be a mess though (...but yeah, not that opponent).

Baylor's longer term future is in disarray. They have lost half of their 2016 recruits and all but one 2017 commit.

This fall though, other than HC Art Briles, their coaching staff is in tact, including OC Kendall Briles. They return a lot of experienced players, enough to handle Northwestern State and most teams on their schedule. They may lose one or two games they might have otherwise won, but the Bears will still wind up in a decent bowl for 2016-17.

2017 is a whole different matter. Liberty is on their schedule. By then, more current players will be gone along with most of the rest of the Briles era coaches. Liberty has better odds of an upset than NW State.

The Yo Show
July 8th, 2016, 02:20 PM
I am incredibly interested in seeing NDSU vs Iowa. As an FCS fan, it is hard not to root for the Bison here. Some key reasons,

1. Iowa has never lost to an FCS school and doing so would bring more FCS recognition
2. Big Ten has stopped scheduling FCS schools, would be nice to give them a black eye for the remarks that it is pointless to play FCS (also why YSU vs WVU means alot to me. Not the Big 10, but because of Dana's comments regarding FCS)
3. (more for Missouri Valley than everyone else) Would improve Missouri Valley standing and recognition.

DeltaDevil662
July 8th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Won't say that we will be EMU but if the JUCO transfer Bray can have similar numbers (and plays like his brother Tyler) as he did last year (25 TD/9 INT) it could be interesting (for a half hopefully) because all we need is a decent QB (something we haven't had since 2006) and improved line play to put the ball in the hands of our weapons. If we do actually compete with EMU for a half or so, I'd feel much better about Oct. 8

underdawg
July 9th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I have a feeling SIU may surprise a lower level FBS Florida Atlantic University first week in September--we are recruiting against them, FIU and CFU already

FUBeAR
July 9th, 2016, 03:50 PM
It would be quite a shocker since Mercer will be taking their 1st dip in the FBS pool @ Georgia Tech on 9/10, but the game could not be positioned any better for such an occurrence.

Mercer is, for the 1st time, at full FCS scholarship level.
The Bears open on Thursday 9/1 vs. The Citadel, who will be running an offense very similar to GT's, meaning Mercer's Coaching staff and players have had about 10 months to prepare for such an offense and a LONG week to correct mistakes made (if any) vs. that offense in the opener.
GT opens with a conference game vs. Boston College on 9/3 in Ireland. So a VERY SHORT week of preparation after a LONG road trip for the Jackets.
Also, Mercer just may have as many fans in the stands as Tech does, so I don't expect much home field advantage.
Will be interesting to see how this one plays out - Shock the World or Painful Lesson or somewhere in between.

JayJ79
July 9th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Some odds picks, the only one I really see maybe happening is NDSU over Iowa. Plenty of other games where FCS squads will beat FBS foes.

one of the captions stated that that list wasn't really trying to predict the likeliest FCS-over-FBS wins (bad FBS teams vs. good FCS teams), but instead was a list of possible "shockers"

JayJ79
July 9th, 2016, 11:23 PM
Iowa has never lost to a lower-division school

But came pretty damn close to a loss in 2009.

marenlee
July 11th, 2016, 04:56 AM
But came pretty damn close to a loss in 2009.

They've had a few close calls. Including a squeaker against UNI a couple years ago.

geaux_sioux
July 12th, 2016, 04:02 PM
UND vs Bowling Green Sept 10th. Bowling Green lost most of their really good players from last year and UND returns 17 starters, 10 on defense.

JSUSoutherner
July 12th, 2016, 05:33 PM
UND vs Bowling Green Sept 10th. Bowling Green lost most of their really good players from last year and UND returns 17 starters, 10 on defense.
Plus, UND will be really mad. :D

Schism55
July 12th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Plus, UND will be really mad. :D
.....and jacked from all that weight room time tooxlolx

Schism55
July 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM
It would be quite a shocker since Mercer will be taking their 1st dip in the FBS pool @ Georgia Tech on 9/10, but the game could not be positioned any better for such an occurrence.

Mercer is, for the 1st time, at full FCS scholarship level.
The Bears open on Thursday 9/1 vs. The Citadel, who will be running an offense very similar to GT's, meaning Mercer's Coaching staff and players have had about 10 months to prepare for such an offense and a LONG week to correct mistakes made (if any) vs. that offense in the opener.
GT opens with a conference game vs. Boston College on 9/3 in Ireland. So a VERY SHORT week of preparation after a LONG road trip for the Jackets.
Also, Mercer just may have as many fans in the stands as Tech does, so I don't expect much home field advantage.
Will be interesting to see how this one plays out - Shock the World or Painful Lesson or somewhere in between.
Nice breakdown. Mercer is definitely in a good spot that game.
How is your D line looking for this fall?

FUBeAR
July 12th, 2016, 07:02 PM
Nice breakdown. Mercer is definitely in a good spot that game.
How is your D line looking for this fall?

Bears run a base 3-4, so DL is a tad less important than with a 4-3. Austin Barrett 6-2/314 JR NG is back. He did a great job vs. El Cid last year in disrupting the timing of the mesh. He was taking a blow (on the sidelines) when they went 80+ yards up a gaping hole in the middle that really swung the momentum of that game just before the half. If he can disrupt that mesh again vs. the Bellhops and against the BumbleBee's, it sure will help the Bears chances in those games. Isaiah Buehler 6-3/247 SO DE is back. He started all 11 games last year as a FR and was also very disruptive - very athletic, high motor, relentless pursuer - has NFL potential down the road. Those are the 2 standouts IMO; both All-SoCon caliber players. Tunde Ayinla and Kelly Brooks are solid SR DE's with experience. JR DE Jalen Penn has played a lot and is an excellent pass rusher. Also 6-5/262 SO Austin Wysor can be a heckuva DE if he can stay healthy. A couple of other talented players coming off their RS year (a NG and a DE, especially), but we'll have to see how they do in 'live fire.' So, to summarize; solid talent is there with a good mix of experience. They will ALL need to stay healthy as the DC likes to keep 'em fresh & going HARD by rolling 3-Deep up front, so 1-9 will have to stay healthy for them to do that without a fairly substantial drop-off in talent & experience.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
July 12th, 2016, 07:31 PM
As much as I enjoy making fun of UND I like that upset! UND over bowling green. If they win that they'll have earned the playoff spot IMO despite the cushy schedule.

Schism55
July 12th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Bears run a base 3-4, so DL is a tad less important than with a 4-3. Austin Barrett 6-2/314 JR NG is back. He did a great job vs. El Cid last year in disrupting the timing of the mesh. He was taking a blow (on the sidelines) when they went 80+ yards up a gaping hole in the middle that really swung the momentum of that game just before the half. If he can disrupt that mesh again vs. the Bellhops and against the BumbleBee's, it sure will help the Bears chances in those games. Isaiah Buehler 6-3/247 SO DE is back. He started all 11 games last year as a FR and was also very disruptive - very athletic, high motor, relentless pursuer - has NFL potential down the road. Those are the 2 standouts IMO; both All-SoCon caliber players. Tunde Ayinla and Kelly Brooks are solid SR DE's with experience. JR DE Jalen Penn has played a lot and is an excellent pass rusher. Also 6-5/262 SO Austin Wysor can be a heckuva DE if he can stay healthy. A couple of other talented players coming off their RS year (a NG and a DE, especially), but we'll have to see how they do in 'live fire.' So, to summarize; solid talent is there with a good mix of experience. They will ALL need to stay healthy as the DC likes to keep 'em fresh & going HARD by rolling 3-Deep up front, so 1-9 will have to stay healthy for them to do that without a fairly substantial drop-off in talent & experience.
Good deal. You'll need a whale of a game from that crew to pull the upset. Go Bears!

POD Knows
July 12th, 2016, 09:47 PM
As much as I enjoy making fun of UND I like that upset! UND over bowling green. If they win that they'll have earned the playoff spot IMO despite the cushy schedule.

UND will be undefeated and NDSU will have to play a playoff game in UND given the two Bison losses during the year.

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 10:45 AM

Our schedule isn't THAT cushy. I thought it was at first but it's tougher than at first glance. Still not exactly the schedule of death though. No idea what to expect from Stoney Brook though. Anyone on her care to fill me in?

Mattymc727
July 13th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Our schedule isn't THAT cushy. I thought it was at first but it's tougher than at first glance. Still not exactly the schedule of death though. No idea what to expect from Stoney Brook though. Anyone on her care to fill me in?

Caught them at a good time. 2 yrs ago they were tough, last year not as much, maybe even worse this year. Wouldnt be afraid of them but they are not a cakewalk either, especially on long island.

POD Knows
July 13th, 2016, 11:51 AM

Are you kidding me, any game that UND has that will even be remotely competitive is a home game at GF. Stoney Brook!! Give me a break. No EWU, no PSU, no Montana, this schedule is freaking wet dream.

Gangtackle11
July 13th, 2016, 12:01 PM
Are you kidding me, any game that UND has that will even be remotely competitive is a home game at GF. Stoney Brook!! Give me a break. No EWU, no PSU, no Montana, this schedule is freaking wet dream.

Maybe it's SB that is playing the cupcake from the plains? There is no State after this North Dakota team No respect for CAA. Just sayin'

Simulation says:

Stony Brook(2016) wins 72 of 100 matchups against North Dakota(2016)

Projected Score: Stony Brook 22 North Dakota 16

WTFCollegefootballfan
July 13th, 2016, 12:12 PM
Maybe it's SB that is playing the cupcake from the plains? There is no State after this North Dakota team No respect for CAA. Just sayin'

Simulation says:

Stony Brook(2016) wins 72 of 100 matchups against North Dakota(2016)

Projected Score: Stony Brook 22 North Dakota 16

But Und is mad.

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 12:16 PM
Caught them at a good time. 2 yrs ago they were tough, last year not as much, maybe even worse this year. Wouldnt be afraid of them but they are not a cakewalk either, especially on long island.
We beat them two years ago and are about 10x as good now. It was a defensive slugfest. They couldn't score on us and our offense was really bad. We won 13-3. Stoney Brook had some TE from the Seminoles and he was one of the most impressive athletes I've ever seen on the football field. He was returning punts....

BisonFan02
July 13th, 2016, 12:18 PM
We beat them two years ago and are about 10x as good now. It was a defensive slugfest. They couldn't score on us and our offense was really bad. We won 13-3. Stoney Brook had some TE from the Seminoles and he was one of the most impressive athletes I've ever seen on the football field. He was returning punts....

Or both offenses blew dog ****....but to each their own. :D

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 12:20 PM

NAU WSU and UNC will all be better this year. USD beat NDSU last year. Poly is always tough and SUU is the defending Big Sky champs. We don't play that many bad teams just no great teams.

F'N Hawks
July 13th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Or both offenses blew dog ****....but to each their own. :D

Ah, the old MVFC fan rule. High scoring game = "offenses were unbelievable, so much talent". Low scoring game = "defenses are so damn good in our conference, just a meat grinder".

Can't lose.

F'N Hawks
July 13th, 2016, 12:52 PM
But Und is mad.

Schtick getting tired. Lotsa crickets lately.

BisonFan02
July 13th, 2016, 01:00 PM
Ah, the old MVFC fan rule. High scoring game = "offenses were unbelievable, so much talent". Low scoring game = "defenses are so damn good in our conference, just a meat grinder".

Can't lose.

or the eye test....I actually tried to watch that game. xlolx

F'N Hawks
July 13th, 2016, 01:09 PM
or the eye test....I actually tried to watch that game. xlolx

That was OUTSTANDING defense all game, both ways. xliarx xlolx

Their QB was quite possibly the worst player I have seen in recent memory. They were really hindered by him all game. And UND wasn't much better, probably worse.

POD Knows
July 13th, 2016, 02:23 PM
NAU WSU and UNC will all be better this year. USD beat NDSU last year. Poly is always tough and SUU is the defending Big Sky champs. We don't play that many bad teams just no great teams.

SUU-Home game
Poly-Home game
USD-Home game
NAU-Home game
WSU-Home game

See a pattern here, all your competitive conference games are at home with the possible exception of MSU.

BisonFan02
July 13th, 2016, 02:28 PM
That was OUTSTANDING defense all game, both ways. xliarx xlolx

Their QB was quite possibly the worst player I have seen in recent memory. They were really hindered by him all game. And UND wasn't much better, probably worse.

It was ****ing pathetic. Bubba didn't have much to work with that year. A pick six (wasn't it almost the whole length of the field after Stony Brook actually put a drive together?) was the deciding factor in that game. Things have definitely been going in the right direction with last season and shaping up this year.

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 02:29 PM
SUU-Home game
Poly-Home game
USD-Home game
NAU-Home game
WSU-Home game

See a pattern here, all your competitive conference games are at home with the possible exception of MSU.
MSU could very well be down next year after losing their star qb and getting a new coach.

geaux_sioux
July 13th, 2016, 02:31 PM
It was ****ing pathetic. Bubba didn't have much to work with that year. A pick six (wasn't it almost the whole length of the field after Stony Brook actually put a drive together?) was the deciding factor in that game. Things have definitely been going in the right direction with last season and shaping up this year.

Bubba made sure the offense was in major conservative mode all year to hide the holes and to take pressure off of the rebuilding defense. Early in the year it was not fun to watch. As the season went on you could see things come together though.

number1
July 14th, 2016, 06:52 AM
Losing to an FCS team won't be a new experience for Will Muschamp, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

kdinva
July 14th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Losing to an FCS team won't be a new experience for Will Muschamp, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again.

xbowx

catamount man
July 22nd, 2016, 10:20 PM
Losing to an FCS team won't be a new experience for Will Muschamp, so I wouldn't be surprised if it happened again. Just bought two tickets to the game from the WCU website for me and my dad who is a rabid Gamecocks fan. I look forward to sharing in this upset experience with him. I'm calling it and you can write it down. Western Carolina WILL beat South Carolina November 19th in Columbia, SC. GO CATS!

ElCid
July 22nd, 2016, 10:39 PM
Just bought two tickets to the game from the WCU website for me and my dad who is a rabid Gamecocks fan. I look forward to sharing in this upset experience with him. I'm calling it and you can write it down. Western Carolina WILL beat South Carolina November 19th in Columbia, SC. BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!! GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

I would love to see that happen but I think we snuck up on them a little bit last year. As usual, they thought they could just show up and beat us. I am afraid they will not let it happen again so soon. I am also worried about our date in Chapel Hill. I am sure they will not underestimate us after last year. The Moon needs to align for both of us. I like your chances at ECU more.

catamount man
July 22nd, 2016, 10:53 PM
I would love to see that happen but I think we snuck up on them a little bit last year. As usual, they thought they could just show up and beat us. I am afraid they will not let it happen again so soon. I am also worried about our date in Chapel Hill. I am sure they will not underestimate us after last year. The Moon needs to align for both of us. I like your chances at ECU more.

Hope you guys upset the Heels. The ACC has UNC vs Clemson again in the ACC champ.game this year so definitely good luck from me there. Good luck in all........except October 1st.

tomq04
July 23rd, 2016, 08:56 AM
I have my tickets for the Battle of the Palouse in Pullman, the Eags have a date with the Cougs and have a pretty good shot I think. I'd place the over/under at about 120.

I'm being a bit facetious on the O/U.

catamount man
July 23rd, 2016, 08:57 AM
I have my tickets for the Battle of the Palouse in Pullman, the Eags have a date with the Cougs and have a pretty good shot I think. I'd place the over/under at about 120.

Hope you guys beat Wazzu. Nothing beats hearing Mike Leach rant after a game.

JSUSoutherner
July 23rd, 2016, 09:11 AM
Hope you guys beat Wazzu. Nothing beats hearing Mike Leach rant after a game.
Idk, I feel like watching Les Miles get fired could give that rant a run for its money.