PDA

View Full Version : FCS Schools With D-1 National Championships

SU DOG
July 1st, 2016, 12:38 PM
I've not researched this(especially the Women), so I may have even missed some, but right off I see where that NCAA D-1 Championships in Ice Hockey, Basketball, and now Baseball were all won by schools that are in the FCS. Technically that WOULD include Coastal, because they were FCS at the time of their win. Just an observation that I feel some pride in.

ST_Lawson
July 1st, 2016, 12:42 PM
That's pretty much it. Here's a list of all of this last season's NCAA champions in the various sports: http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-10-19/2015-2016-ncaa-championships

EDIT - of course, technically NDSU has won the NCAA championship the last handful of years, since the BCS and now Playoff Series championships are not technically NCAA championships.

AshevilleApp2
July 1st, 2016, 12:50 PM
That's pretty much it. Here's a list of all of this last season's NCAA champions in the various sports: http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2015-10-19/2015-2016-ncaa-championships

EDIT - of course, technically NDSU has won the NCAA championship the last handful of years, since the BCS and now Playoff Series championships are not technically NCAA championships.

Yup. FCS gets a clean sweep, from the men's side, of the big four sports.

DFW HOYA
July 1st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Yup. FCS gets a clean sweep, from the men's side, of the big four sports.

Outside this board, maybe not...

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Vqu6eXn_mEY9fzV4dtG7CJv5vwA=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5897237/si_cover_-_alabama_national_champs__1024.0.jpg

AshevilleApp2
July 1st, 2016, 01:29 PM
Outside this board, maybe not...

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Vqu6eXn_mEY9fzV4dtG7CJv5vwA=/800x0/filters:no_upscale()/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/5897237/si_cover_-_alabama_national_champs__1024.0.jpg

I understand that. But from an NCAA standpoint, it is true. (Of course the worth of the NCAA could be debated as well.)

melloware13
July 1st, 2016, 03:09 PM
In 2015-16, NCAA D-I (or non-division) Championships by FCS schools are:
Football: North Dakota State
Men's Basketball: Villanova
Men's Ice Hockey: North Dakota
Fencing: Columbia
Bowling: Stephen F. Austin
Baseball: Coastal Carolina

SFA 93
July 1st, 2016, 03:50 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CgR5qfeUYAASvBE.jpg

Schism55
July 1st, 2016, 04:09 PM
Bowling! That's pretty pimp

GAD
July 1st, 2016, 04:40 PM

No technically in it, BCS and Playoff Series are NOT ncaa championships

Grizalltheway
July 1st, 2016, 04:56 PM
Hurling, baby!

http://montanan.umt.edu/issues/fall-2014/around-the-oval/griz-hurlers/imx/Griz%20hurlingW.jpg

http://missoulian.com/sports/catch-all/montana-wins-second-straight-national-hurling-title/article_6e3c03f2-284e-5a40-ba33-8aa9f087f52d.html

ST_Lawson
July 1st, 2016, 05:21 PM
Bowling! That's pretty pimp

Aw sweet, if we're getting into bowling, I'll have to get a photo of our back-to-back national championship trophies from back in the 90s.

EDIT - sorry, back-to-back was '01 and '02, although we did also win in '99. And further clarification...not technically NCAA since they don't do a men's bowling championship. It was the Intercollegiate Team Championships (the highest level of college men's bowling at the time). http://www.wiu.edu/news/newsrelease.php?release_id=1171

underdawg
July 1st, 2016, 05:59 PM
SIU Salukis were a national powerhouse in D-1 Gymnastics from 1959 when the program started competing with big boys under coach Bill Meade till the sport was dropped in 1987

1964 beat out USC for the National title

1966 beat University of California for the National title

1067 beat out Michigan for Title

1972 beat Iowa State for National Title

finished 2nd in Nation in 1961, 1962, 1963, 1968, 1971

finished 3rd in the nation in 1975, 1978

finished fourth in 1975 behind Cal

I don't think any team on the board can beat that record.

National FCS Champions in 1983

dakotadan
July 1st, 2016, 08:34 PM
I don't think any team on the board can beat that record
Are you just talking in men's gymnastics?

Twentysix
July 1st, 2016, 09:11 PM
Are you just talking in men's gymnastics?

He must be, I have more football titles in my signature than the number of gymnastics titles he just listed.

Hammersmith
July 1st, 2016, 09:48 PM
He must be, I have more football titles in my signature than the number of gymnastics titles he just listed.

I don't know, the title they won the year after the Battle of Hastings was pretty impressive.

Sader87
July 1st, 2016, 10:03 PM
Pre HC as an FCS school, but NCAA hoops champ in 1947 and College World Series champs in 1952....no gymnastics titles though xdrunkyx

RootinFerDukes
July 1st, 2016, 10:47 PM
JMU won the field hockey title in 1994 beating North Carolina. We also won three or four archery titles but I don't believe they're NCAA affiliated and we no longer sponsor the team at the school. It was one of the teams cut to ensure title ix compliance.

Oh yeah. We kind of won the Fcs title in 2004.

Grizalltheway
July 1st, 2016, 11:22 PM
I don't know, the title they won the year after the Battle of Hastings was pretty impressive.

William of Normandy was an animal on the pommel horse.

Hammersmith
July 1st, 2016, 11:37 PM
William of Normandy was an animal on the pommel horse.

France killed in the archery title that year.

AmsterBison
July 2nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
France killed in the archery title that year.

"Too soon, man," Harald Godwinson.

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 2nd, 2016, 07:50 AM
Thread drift here but if you want dominance in a sport then go to OK State in wrestling. 34 national titles and a record of 1021-113-32 in its history. Not bad....xnodx

Terry2889
July 2nd, 2016, 08:34 AM
Thread drift here but if you want dominance in a sport then go to OK State in wrestling. 34 national titles and a record of 1021-113-32 in its history. Not bad....xnodx

That's absurd! I teach at a school that hasn't lost a field hockey game in 7 years and only 3 in 16 years! They're so dominant its actually boring to watch!

Daytripper
July 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM

SHSU in Bowling, also.

superman7515
July 2nd, 2016, 01:44 PM

Wrestling in Oklahoma is a pretty big deal. Everyone thinks "Bedlam" between the Sooners and Cowboys is big in football, but it actually started as a rivalry between the two schools in wrestling. OK State would probably have 10+ more if it wasn't for Dan Gable building what he did with the Hawkeyes.

Bisonoline
July 2nd, 2016, 02:57 PM
Montana has a handball championship.xnodx Does that count?:D

KPSUL
July 2nd, 2016, 03:54 PM
I think the intent here was DIV 1 NCAA sanctioned championships other than football, during the era of two DIV 1 subdivisions. Since 1978, University of North Dakota has 6 championships, all in hockey. Can any school claim more than 6?

superman7515
July 3rd, 2016, 12:06 AM
I think the intent here was DIV 1 NCAA sanctioned championships other than football, during the era of two DIV 1 subdivisions. Since 1978, University of North Dakota has 6 championships, all in hockey. Can any school claim more than 6?

Well, UND wasn't in the FCS for 5 of those, so I don't think you can really count that. But using the criteria of NCAA D1 team (no single competitors) national championships during their time in FCS, it would be:

Villanova - 12 (9 women's cross country, 2 men's basketball, 1 men's indoor track)
Princeton - 11 (1 fencing, 1 field hockey, 6 men's lacrosse, 3 women's lacrosse)
Brown - 7 (all in rowing)

Houndawg
July 3rd, 2016, 09:54 AM

I think he's talking about real D-1, not FCS?

Bison Fan in NW MN
July 3rd, 2016, 11:40 AM
Wrestling in Oklahoma is a pretty big deal. Everyone thinks "Bedlam" between the Sooners and Cowboys is big in football, but it actually started as a rivalry between the two schools in wrestling. OK State would probably have 10+ more if it wasn't for Dan Gable building what he did with the Hawkeyes.

Maybe, Iowa has won 23 national titles. They drew 42K+ fans to a dual against OK State at Kinnick last year.

There are probably many examples at the high school level across the country of teams that have long stretches of dominance. IIRC, a high school in Grand Forks, ND has a girls tennis team that just lost a dual this last school year for the first time in over 20 years.

Twentysix
July 3rd, 2016, 03:01 PM
I think he's talking about real D-1, not FCS?

Blasphemy!

MarkCCU
July 3rd, 2016, 04:47 PM
I've not researched this(especially the Women), so I may have even missed some, but right off I see where that NCAA D-1 Championships in Ice Hockey, Basketball, and now Baseball were all won by schools that are in the FCS. Technically that WOULD include Coastal, because they were FCS at the time of their win. Just an observation that I feel some pride in.

There's no "technically" about CCU.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 3rd, 2016, 08:17 PM
UNH has one title, 1985 Women's Lacrosse. Had one or two in Women's Ice Hockey just before the NCAA sponsored a national championship. In Men's Ice hockey, UNH has lost in the championship game twice.

Houndawg
July 4th, 2016, 08:37 AM
UNH has one title, 1985 Women's Lacrosse. Had one or two in Women's Ice Hockey just before the NCAA sponsored a national championship. In Men's Ice hockey, UNH has lost in the championship game twice.

How about an annual inter-conference game with UNI? We could call it The Battle of the Bridesmaids.xthumbsupx

underdawg
July 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
The pussy cats need a LOT more Transfers to win a NC--and to hire Clenz as their coach

clenz
July 4th, 2016, 02:40 PM
The pussy cats need a LOT more Transfers to win a NC--and to hire Clenz as their coach

Want to beat UNI? Do the opposite that SIU does

KPSUL
July 5th, 2016, 07:50 AM
How about an annual inter-conference game with UNI? We could call it The Battle of the Bridesmaids.xthumbsupx

Ain't that the truth! Currently UNI is up 3-0 in that series and I think the total score differential is about 4 pts. So we are clearly ahead in the bridesmaid category.

clenz
July 5th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Ain't that the truth! Currently UNI is up 3-0 in that series and I think the total score differential is about 4 pts. So we are clearly ahead in the bridesmaid category.
8 points

Don't feel bad, UNI is 6-0 against EWU as well with victories by 3 26 3 10 3 3

Very few schools in the FCS currently have winning records against UNI:
Montana - 0-5 - 3 of them were playoffs
Delaware - 0-2 - both playoffs
Richmond - 0-1 - playoffs
Eastern Kentucky - 0-1...1971
Lehigh - 0-1 - playoffs
Dayton - 0-1......1948
Drake - 21-26...though all of their wins were pre UNI moving D1. Since UNI is 4-0 by a total score of 190-45

That's the full list. UNI might not be able to win a title, but they can beat pretty much everyone else, any time outside of the playoffs.

F'N Hawks
July 5th, 2016, 08:28 AM
That's the full list. UNI might not be able to win a title, but they can beat pretty much everyone else, any time outside of the playoffs.

Is that you, Dave Hakstol?

ccd494
July 5th, 2016, 08:47 AM
In Men's Ice hockey, UNH has lost in the championship game twice.

Oh?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22802&stc=1

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 5th, 2016, 08:53 AM
ouch....Really, the 3 UNI games and that Maine photo on the same page?

KPSUL
July 5th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Oh?

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22802&stc=1

Oh yeah? Well take this! Goldrich (#5) is indicating how many times Maine has won the musket the last 6 seasons. 0

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22803&stc=1

Cocky
July 5th, 2016, 09:38 AM

In pro golf a Masters and US Open title to add to the FCS collection this year.

ccd494
July 5th, 2016, 10:56 AM
Oh yeah? Well take this! Goldrich (#5) is indicating how many times Maine has won the musket the last 6 seasons. 0

That's fine. I'll take our two national titles in a sport big schools actually play. You can keep having nice JV football regular seasons.

BisonBacker
July 5th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Well, UND wasn't in the FCS for 5 of those, so I don't think you can really count that. But using the criteria of NCAA D1 team (no single competitors) national championships during their time in FCS, it would be:

Villanova - 12 (9 women's cross country, 2 men's basketball, 1 men's indoor track)
Princeton - 11 (1 fencing, 1 field hockey, 6 men's lacrosse, 3 women's lacrosse)
Brown - 7 (all in rowing)

It's a feat for sure but the bolded part is what taints it for me. If it was only DI schools in it then to me it'd be a hell of a feat. But when you have the schools that play DI hockey who are DIII well it loses it's luster to me. Now Coastal winning in Baseball this year is a hell of a feat.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe, Iowa has won 23 national titles. They drew 42K+ fans to a dual against OK State at Kinnick last year.

There are probably many examples at the high school level across the country of teams that have long stretches of dominance. IIRC, a high school in Grand Forks, ND has a girls tennis team that just lost a dual this last school year for the first time in over 20 years.

That is impressive right there!

BisonBacker
July 5th, 2016, 11:25 AM
That's fine. I'll take our two national titles in a sport big schools actually play. You can keep having nice JV football regular seasons.

See this is what I'm talking about. Way to funny.
Clarkson University, Mercyhurst University, Quinnipiac University, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Bemidji State, Mankato State, St Cloud State, Merrimack College, Canisius College, American International College (whatever the hell that is).....Big Schools Yup xlolx
That's why the BigX booted UND. You've got a smattering of actual DI schools then you have the rest of the wannabes. There are 351 DI colleges listed by the NCAA and of those 351. 60 schools field a Men's Ice Hockey team. Of those 60 there is only a smattering of true DI schools like Minnesota, or Michigan and to say a smattering is being polite. Hey congrats on the championship but trying to sell it as something it's not is just too funny. It's unfortunate that more DI schools don't actually sponsor it but Hockey is what it is a niche sport.

Laker
July 5th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Here are the numbers on the D1 men's 60 hockey teams by class :

D I 39=65 %
FBS 17=28.33%
FCS 13=21.66%
1AAA 9=15%

D II 15=25 %

D III 6=10 %

IBleedYellow
July 5th, 2016, 11:34 AM
OHHH great.

This argument again. xcoffeex

BisonBacker
July 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
OHHH great.

This argument again. xcoffeex

If they want to keep bringing it up like they do then yes we will.

Bisonator
July 5th, 2016, 11:58 AM

Lol you forgot #highestlevel xlolx

Do all hockey schools fans bring up the same thing? Is that written into some type of code to justify their existence?? Just curious because I hear the same thing from a lot of their fans.

ccd494
July 5th, 2016, 12:25 PM
Lol you forgot #highestlevel xlolx

Do all hockey schools fans bring up the same thing? Is that written into some type of code to justify their existence?? Just curious because I hear the same thing from a lot of their fans.

Sure, some D-3 schools play up to D-1 hockey. But you still have to beat the P5 schools to win a title. AIC plays D-I hockey like Campbell plays FCS football- in name only because they have to be classified there. It doesn't effect who you play at the top of the division.

Winning a college hockey title isn't like Villanova winning NCAA hoops- not by a long shot- but you have to go through some schools with huge athletic programs that take the sport very, very seriously. FCS schools are FCS because they choose not to compete at the highest level. It's like a kid on training wheels competing in the fun ride before the Tour de France goes off.

F'N Hawks
July 5th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Sure, some D-3 schools play up to D-1 hockey. But you still have to beat the P5 schools to win a title. AIC plays D-I hockey like Campbell plays FCS football- in name only because they have to be classified there. It doesn't effect who you play at the top of the division.

Winning a college hockey title isn't like Villanova winning NCAA hoops- not by a long shot- but you have to go through some schools with huge athletic programs that take the sport very, very seriously. FCS schools are FCS because they choose not to compete at the highest level. It's like a kid on training wheels competing in the fun ride before the Tour de France goes off.

They love talking UND hockey, only second to actual UND hockey fans. Please stop for the sake of the board.

UAalum72
July 5th, 2016, 01:25 PM
Glad to hear this. A guy I play golf with (an RPI hockey fan) says UNH stands for University with No Hardware. I'll have to inform him.

TheRevSFA
July 5th, 2016, 01:30 PM
SHSU in Bowling, also.

Not in 2015-2016 though...

NY Crusader 2010
July 5th, 2016, 04:23 PM

It should be noted that there is also no such thing as D-II hockey. All D-II schools much choose to play either D-III or D-1 -- those schools that choose D-III are not eligible for the Division III Championship. As a result, among the NCAA Division 2 schools sponsoring hockey, you have a wide range of competitiveness ranging from Merrimack, Minnesota-Duluth and Bemidji State competing at the higher end of D-I to schools like Assumption and St. Anselm that play D-3 schedules.

As for the NCAA D-III schools playing Division I hockey, I believe they fall under the same umbrella as John Hopkins in lax. They're grandfathered into the Dayton rule and are all historic programs that continue to make a strong commitment to the level (RPI, Union, Clarkson, Colorado College, St. Lawrence etc.). Plattsburgh State and Wisconsin-Whatever could not simply "move up" to D-I hockey without first moving their entire athletic programs to D-2 and then D-1. We've discussed this process several times regarding Hopkins on the perennial PL expansion threads.

aceinthehole
July 5th, 2016, 07:43 PM
UConn won 5 National Championships as a I-AA program before transitioning to I-A/FBS.

Men's Basketball - 1999
Men's Soccer - 1981
Women's Basketball - 1995, 2000
Field Hockey - 1981, 1985