PDA

View Full Version : Potential 2007 Payton Award

ASUSig
December 20th, 2006, 07:19 PM
I know its kinda early, but who does everyone think will be in contention for the 2007 Peyton Award?

bodoyle
December 20th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Not nit-picking, but Payton.

I would say Richardson will be up there, maybe Armanti as well.

th0m
December 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Santos again? j/k ;)

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 20th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Looking around the CAA I see a few.

Schaefer from Towson
Love from UD
Holloman from JMU
Coen from UMass
I guess Santos again even though he already won it. (too early in my opinion)
Hightower from UR if he holds onto the ball

I'd say my top three from the conference kicking Santos out of the picture are
1. Schaefer
2. Holloman (go ahead and call me a homer)
3. Coen

ASUSig
December 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
sorry about that... guess I had Peyton Manning in the old noggin

HiHiYikas
December 20th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I asked Ralph about this in Chattanooga...it would be great to see the Payton go to a Mountaineer, and Richardson and Edwards ought to be prime candidates. Santos looks pretty solid for next year, though.

ASUSig
December 20th, 2006, 07:51 PM
...it would be great to see the Payton go to a Mountaineer, and Richardson and Edwards ought to be prime candidates

i agree!

Bobcat in NC
December 20th, 2006, 08:03 PM
As much as it pains me to prop up the Griz, Hilliard (assuming the injury heals OK) has to be in the discussion.

FargoBison
December 20th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Finalists who didn't graduate...

Steve Walker
Ricky Santos
Kevin Richardson
Jerome Felton
Josh Johnson

Smendy
December 20th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Will come, likely, from a winning team, so I'd guess the Appalachian State stars would rank high -- I'll swing towards the sophomore-to-be quarterback.

Watchout for Hilliard or Chambers from Montana, too.

crunifan
December 20th, 2006, 09:04 PM
Gotta give some love to Eric Sanders. It will be his senior year. Hopefully it will be his best one!

bodoyle
December 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Santos again? j/k ;)

: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

You are just trying to raise my blood pressure aren't you?

NDSUFREAK
December 20th, 2006, 09:24 PM
Steve Walker should be a front runner. He may not be a stat leader, but he is a field general.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 20th, 2006, 09:29 PM
If the coaches hadn't jacked up the offense and made Jayson Foster a non-factor instead of star of the team, he would be a shoe in.

Ask any of the SoCon coaches who said he was the best offensive player in the league before the coaches decided he only needed to touch the ball 4 or 5 times a game... :nonono2:

As it stands, either Santos, Richardson or Edwards.

th0m
December 20th, 2006, 09:36 PM
: flamemad : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad : flamemad

You are just trying to raise my blood pressure aren't you?

Maybe? :) Any candidates for CCU? Simpson? Thigpen's graduating, right?

FurmanPaladins4138
December 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Felton at Furman- when he's healthy he's hard to stop.

TexasTerror
December 20th, 2006, 09:59 PM
FBS QB transfers to SHSU seem to find their way into the Payton Watch List (see Long, McCown and I believe, Chaloupka)...

Rhett Bomar
Transfer from Oklahoma. 2005 -- passed for 2,018 yards on 10 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman for the Sooners ... led Oklahoma to victories over Kansas State, Kansas, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State during the regular season ... Most Valuable Player in the Holiday Bowl, passing for 229 yards in 17-14 victory over Oregon ... best performance was 20 of 28 for 298 yards in 36-30 victory over Texas A&M.
High school - threw for 6,097 yards and 58 touchdowns during his career at Grand Prairie ... rushed for 1,623 yards and 33 touchdowns

appfan2008
December 20th, 2006, 10:43 PM
I would have to believe that a senior running back from the back 2 back national champions who leads his team and holds the record for the most touchdowns in one season who have to be near the top. He is one heck of a leader and should win the award next year.

Go K Rich!

BALD EAGLE
December 20th, 2006, 11:54 PM
I know I am biased, but I believe Jayson Foster would be one of the top candidates if he were playing quarterback in "our option" offense.

In fact, I believe he would be considered one of our great quarterbacks along with Tracy Ham, Raymond Gross, Greg Hill and J.R. Revere.

It is very frustrating watching the Eagles play knowing that Jayson Foster could be playing quarterback instead of the position he is playing whatever that position is.

Just for the record with Jayson playing quarterback as a sophomore Ga. Southern averaged 38 points a game.

Ga. Southern's Playoff Record - 38 & 10

"GO EAGLES" - "JUST ONE MORE TIME"

3yards
December 21st, 2006, 12:28 AM
Josh Johnson at USD is the real deal.

Jackluv
December 21st, 2006, 12:32 AM
alex watson.

December 21st, 2006, 12:33 AM
one of these things is not like the other...

seantaylor
December 21st, 2006, 01:22 AM
Foster if he is allowed to do his thing.

BeauFoster
December 21st, 2006, 06:31 AM
Look for the 'Neers to put a lot of heat behind Richardson. If Edwards gets on the list, it is doubtful that ASU will market him much, since he is young and will still have 2 more (hopefully) years to win it.

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2006, 07:07 AM
Santos has to be the favorite but 3 from UD:

Omar Cuff
Aaron Love
Joe Flacco

mcveyrl
December 21st, 2006, 07:25 AM
Steve Walker should be a front runner. He may not be a stat leader, but he is a field general.

You need to talk to Mickey Matthews about that.

He's got some, um...strong opinions...about this.xlolx xlolx

I think Richardson will be the leading candidate. Can somebody from ASU tell me how injury prone he is?? I thought they said he had been dealing with the trap injury for most of the year. If that's the case and he's healthy next year, he might be a lock. Then again, if he gets injured it could be a problem, obvisouly (this would apply to his Payton chances, not ASU's. I was really impressed with the way Moore hit holes against YSU!!)

andy7171
December 21st, 2006, 07:36 AM

Schaefer from Towson
Love from UD
Holloman from JMU
Coen from UMass

1. Schaefer
3. Coen

I'm going to say this is a year early to be saying this. 2008 will be Shaefer's year to shine. Santos is still the class of the CAA by far. Shaefer is good, but it'll be his JR year in 07. He'll get more name recognition next season. I would throw my vote to the RB at ASU, Richardson. He flat out dominated the play-offs.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 08:11 AM
Don't forget Felton at Furman- when he's healthy he's hard to stop.

I would have to say, IMHO, if there was one guy in SoCon I was worried about ASU stopping it was Felton. He was on the watch list this year, I think he will be watched again. But you can't count out Santos, he is already a Payton winner.
{Homer Alert}
I would have to say at least Kevin Richardson popping up as a candidate, and I wouldn't be surprised if Armanti Edwards was up there as well.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 21st, 2006, 08:14 AM
You need to talk to Mickey Matthews about that.

He's got some, um...strong opinions...about this.xlolx xlolx

I think Richardson will be the leading candidate. Can somebody from ASU tell me how injury prone he is?? I thought they said he had been dealing with the trap injury for most of the year. If that's the case and he's healthy next year, he might be a lock. Then again, if he gets injured it could be a problem, obvisouly (this would apply to his Payton chances, not ASU's. I was really impressed with the way Moore hit holes against YSU!!)

Another ASU Fan correct me if I'm wrong but...
I believe Richardson hurt the Trap in the 1st round game against Coastal. I don't think he has missed a start since becoming the starter. He is a hard core runner and with a good line he becomes leathal.

bodoyle
December 21st, 2006, 08:32 AM
Maybe? :) Any candidates for CCU? Simpson? Thigpen's graduating, right?

Yea, maybe Simpson, he will have to deal with double and triple teams again like he did this year and last. Correct Thig graduated.

bodoyle
December 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
I believe Richardson hurt the Trap in the 1st round game against Coastal. I don't think he has missed a start since becoming the starter. He is a hard core runner and with a good line he becomes leathal.

Correct he did hurt his shoulder/trap against us in the 1st round.

mcveyrl
December 21st, 2006, 08:41 AM

That makes sense. I must've confused "beginning of the playoffs" with "beginning of the season."

Cobblestone
December 21st, 2006, 08:44 AM
I think Edwards will be a strong contender, possibly the front runner. I'll also go with Coen and Santos. Although I think it'll tough for Santos since he'll become a marked man.

smallcollegefbfan
December 21st, 2006, 09:11 AM
My top guys would be:

QB Ricky Santos, New Hampshire, Sr.
QB Armanti Edwards, App State, So.
QB Steve Walker, NDSU, Sr.
QB Josh Johnson, San Diego, Sr.
QB Liam Coen, UMASS, Jr.
QB Sean Schaefer, Towson, Jr.
QB Eric Sanders, Northern Iowa, Sr.
QB Luke Drone, Illinois State, Sr.
RB Kevin Richardson, App State, Sr.
RB Omar Cuff, Delaware, Sr.
RB Eugene Holloman, James Madison, Sr.
RB Scott Phaydavong, Drake, Sr.
RB Herb Donaldson, Western Illinois, Jr.
RB James Noble, Cal Poly, Jr.
RB Don Chapman, UT-Martin, Sr.
FB Jerome Felton, Furman, Sr.

One player you could throw in the discussion but I don't think will get the production without Murrietta is WR Alex Watson of NAU.

bcrawf
December 21st, 2006, 11:25 AM
Another tailback to keep an eye on for the next two years is Corey Lewis at UNI. Great year but lost a couple of games to an ankle injury. Next year he will probably have to share too many carries with Darian Williams to have the stats, but 2008 could be a huge year for him...

ASU Kep
December 21st, 2006, 12:31 PM
Will come, likely, from a winning team, so I'd guess the Appalachian State stars would rank high -- I'll swing towards the sophomore-to-be quarterback.

Watchout for Hilliard or Chambers from Montana, too.

I doubt Armanti will get it next year. Not because he won't perhaps deserve it, but because he'll have two more years left after that. I always like to see these things go to a senior, maybe a junior.

That being said, Kevin Richardson is very, very much in the running with his record-breaking season in '06 under his belt and (most) of our incredible O-Line returning for '07.

ASU Kep
December 21st, 2006, 12:33 PM
I know ASU has won a few Buchanans (sp?) with Dexter Coakley, but if I'm not mistaken I don't think we've ever won the Payton on the offensive side.

AggieFinn
December 21st, 2006, 02:06 PM
NDSU's Walker from the Great West, also, watch out for whoever earns the UC Davis starting QB role.

Grizalltheway
December 21st, 2006, 02:10 PM

Omar Cuff
Aaron Love
Joe Flacco

3?!?
:homer:

DinoDex200
December 21st, 2006, 02:11 PM
Some Cal Poly defender...

Wait, what thread is this?

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 03:50 PM
NDSU's Walker from the Great West, also, watch out for whoever earns the UC Davis starting QB role.
Are NDSU's players eligible for awards even if they're not eligible for the playoffs?

December 21st, 2006, 04:03 PM
Are NDSU's players eligible for awards even if they're not eligible for the playoffs?Must be since Walker was on the watch list last year.

UNHWildCats
December 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
my BOLD prediction is that at some point in 2007 Chad Kackert will appear on the Payton Watch

lizrdgizrd
December 21st, 2006, 04:10 PM
Must be since Walker was on the watch list last year.
That's good. Hate to take that kind of recognition away from good players just because their team just moved up to FCS. :nod:

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2006, 05:22 PM
My top guys would be:

QB Liam Coen, UMASS, Jr.

One player you could throw in the discussion but I don't think will get the production without Murrietta is WR Alex Watson of NAU.

No Rhett Bomar...?

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 05:42 PM
Bomar is going to have to overcome a lot of baggage to get much support. Even if he has big numbers, some people will probably overlook him because of the Oklahoma thing (just stating the truth here, not implying that it would effect my ballot). Also, Bomar would have to see SHSU have a big year, too.

TexasTerror
December 21st, 2006, 05:46 PM
Bomar is going to have to overcome a lot of baggage to get much support. Even if he has big numbers, some people will probably overlook him because of the Oklahoma thing (just stating the truth here, not implying that it would effect my ballot). Also, Bomar would have to see SHSU have a big year, too.

2007 may be tough, but I think 2008 could be a huge year for the Kats. Of course, we've had two kinds of QBs. We've had the Dustin Long-Josh McCown-Chris Chaloupka version and then we've had the Noah Allen-Vance Smith-Luke Huard version...if we get closer to the aformentioned Long/McCown/Chaloupka version we could be in for some success!

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 21st, 2006, 05:51 PM
If Lehigh can get back in the national spotlight Sedale Threatt might have a chance to make some noise. Lehigh's offense should deffinately be the strength of the team and might be forced to win in shootouts if the defense doesn't improve.

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2006, 07:12 PM

Schaefer from Towson
Love from UD
Holloman from JMU
Coen from UMass

1. Schaefer
3. Coen

Coen needs to grow a bit

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 09:25 PM
My top guys would be:

QB Liam Coen, UMASS, Jr.

Santos has to be the favorite going in, considering the support he has received the past two years.

Doubtful Edwards would get it as a sophomore, particularly with Richardson being a senior (Richardson would probably be the player I'd put behind Santos in the beauty pagent right now).

Walker: While a good player and field leader on a top-calber team, he probably won't get enough exposure. Also, I'm not sure he would rank ahead of any of the QBs on the list in terms of talent.

Johnson: He would have to overcome the anti-PFL stuff and playing a weak schedule, though talent-wise he is as good as anyone on this list.

Coen: He won't have Baylark around to keep the pressure off him and will have to carry more of the load for UMass. This means he will have more opportunity to put up bigger numbers. He also lose his best receiver, Brandon London, though Rasheed Rancher and J.J. Moore return. The playoffs gave him a lot of exposure. He reminds me so much of UNI's Eric Sanders.

Schaefer puts up a lot of numbers, but he is going to have to do it in big games to get much Payton consideration. He is another long shot.

Sanders could reemerge, if his team rebounds as one of the top teams in the FCS next season. He has name recognition, but needs his team to do well. I could see him easily making the final three, if his team wins the Gateway. Sanders will have to overcome the fact that the voter block in the midwest has never carried a Gateway player to the Payton Award.

Drone is going to have to get things done with all of his major weapons gone from the ISU offense, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Jackson and Pierre Rembert. Drone also played so poorly down the stretch that he will have to rebuild some confidence. Another factor going against Drone is that the games where he had a chance to show his stuff on the national stage were some of the worst he played this year.

Richardson came up big in four nationally televised games and so he has some of the best name recognition going. He figues to be even more of a centerpiece in the ASU offense next season. Outside of Santos, Richardson probably goes in as the next best favorite.

Cuff is truly a great player, but his injury-plagued 2005 season and the way that Delaware fell from grace makes it difficult to see him as any kind of favorite. If he lives up to the standards he set as a sophomore and if Delaware moves back to the top of the A-10, he will move back into the picture.

Eugene Holloman is a good player, but has very little name recognition at this point and would have to have an absolutely monster year to move into the picture. JMU's offense typically spreads the workload around to more than one back, which won't help. Also, the Dukes lost a lot of seniors and are unproven at QB, so JMU probably won't be ranked all that highly at the start of the year. He is a long shot.

Phaydavong has zero chance. Drake gets next to no visability and he really has a low name recognition. Playing a PFL schedule also doens't help.

Herb Donaldson was coming on strong at the end of the season and could be a potential dark horse. But a lot depends on how well Western Illinois does. If the Leathernecks compete for the Gateway title, he could make a push with a strong year, kind of like Marcus Mason did this year, finishing fourth.

Noble needs to stay healthy, something that has been a problem so far. Cal Poly could also be rebuilding next year, after losing a lot of seniors. A wild card factor could be the switch to a new offense next season. I've heard that Cal Poly is going to the spread and Noble could be well-suited to the new offense, sort of like Richardson with ASU.

Donald Chapman is a great back, but faces some of the same problems that Phaydavong does, little exposure and poor name recognition. Tennessee-Martin may be the least visable top-10-caliber team in years.

Jerome Felton may be the best player in the FCS, pound-for-pound, but playing fullback makes it tough for him to get the carries and yardage needed to be a major candidate. But if he does get up around 1,300-1,500 yards somehow and 25-30 TDs, he could be a finalist. Furman also needs to have a better year.

Alex Watson is a great player, but if DaVon Fowlkes could only finish third with the year he had a receiver in 2004, it would take a lot for Watson to win. Don't see a WR winning against this field.

Grizo406
December 21st, 2006, 10:11 PM
Lex.

Mr. C
December 21st, 2006, 10:29 PM
Lex Hilliard will definitely be a strong candidate, if he can show he back 100% from his Achilles tendon rupture. Tough, painful rehab from that injury.

kardplayer
December 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM
Santos has to be the favorite going in, considering the support he has received the past two years.

Doubtful Edwards would get it as a sophomore, particularly with Richardson being a senior (Richardson would probably be the player I'd put behind Santos in the beauty pagent right now).

Walker: While a good player and field leader on a top-calber team, he probably won't get enough exposure. Also, I'm not sure he would rank ahead of any of the QBs on the list in terms of talent.

Johnson: He would have to overcome the anti-PFL stuff and playing a weak schedule, though talent-wise he is as good as anyone on this list.

Coen: He won't have Baylark around to keep the pressure off him and will have to carry more of the load for UMass. This means he will have more opportunity to put up bigger numbers. He also lose his best receiver, Brandon London, though Rasheed Rancher and J.J. Moore return. The playoffs gave him a lot of exposure. He reminds me so much of UNI's Eric Sanders.

Schaefer puts up a lot of numbers, but he is going to have to do it in big games to get much Payton consideration. He is another long shot.

Sanders could reemerge, if his team rebounds as one of the top teams in the FCS next season. He has name recognition, but needs his team to do well. I could see him easily making the final three, if his team wins the Gateway. Sanders will have to overcome the fact that the voter block in the midwest has never carried a Gateway player to the Payton Award.

Drone is going to have to get things done with all of his major weapons gone from the ISU offense, Laurent Robinson, Pierre Jackson and Pierre Rembert. Drone also played so poorly down the stretch that he will have to rebuild some confidence. Another factor going against Drone is that the games where he had a chance to show his stuff on the national stage were some of the worst he played this year.

Richardson came up big in four nationally televised games and so he has some of the best name recognition going. He figues to be even more of a centerpiece in the ASU offense next season. Outside of Santos, Richardson probably goes in as the next best favorite.

Cuff is truly a great player, but his injury-plagued 2005 season and the way that Delaware fell from grace makes it difficult to see him as any kind of favorite. If he lives up to the standards he set as a sophomore and if Delaware moves back to the top of the A-10, he will move back into the picture.

Eugene Holloman is a good player, but has very little name recognition at this point and would have to have an absolutely monster year to move into the picture. JMU's offense typically spreads the workload around to more than one back, which won't help. Also, the Dukes lost a lot of seniors and are unproven at QB, so JMU probably won't be ranked all that highly at the start of the year. He is a long shot.

Phaydavong has zero chance. Drake gets next to no visability and he really has a low name recognition. Playing a PFL schedule also doens't help.

Herb Donaldson was coming on strong at the end of the season and could be a potential dark horse. But a lot depends on how well Western Illinois does. If the Leathernecks compete for the Gateway title, he could make a push with a strong year, kind of like Marcus Mason did this year, finishing fourth.

Noble needs to stay healthy, something that has been a problem so far. Cal Poly could also be rebuilding next year, after losing a lot of seniors. A wild card factor could be the switch to a new offense next season. I've heard that Cal Poly is going to the spread and Noble could be well-suited to the new offense, sort of like Richardson with ASU.

Donald Chapman is a great back, but faces some of the same problems that Phaydavong does, little exposure and poor name recognition. Tennessee-Martin may be the least visable top-10-caliber team in years.

Jerome Felton may be the best player in the FCS, pound-for-pound, but playing fullback makes it tough for him to get the carries and yardage needed to be a major candidate. But if he does get up around 1,300-1,500 yards somehow and 25-30 TDs, he could be a finalist. Furman also needs to have a better year.

Alex Watson is a great player, but if DaVon Fowlkes could only finish third with the year he had a receiver in 2004, it would take a lot for Watson to win. Don't see a WR winning against this field.

Brilliant analysis. Coupled with your comment on Lex, I agree 100%

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM

I forgot to add RB Lex Hilliard of Montana.

I think Edwards gets on. He is a heck of a player and better than probably 5-8 guys on that list already.

Phaydavong has not chance at winning but he could be a solid pick for the preseason.

Watson is a good player and probably gets on preseason due to numbers. Although, I bet he won't finish on the list.

Holloman is probably the best player most have not heard of yet.

Any other names you can think of worth mentioning????

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 10:25 AM
Jayson Foster of GSU could be worth adding if he is given the ball.

Rumor is a GSU QB might leave for Nicholls State because he is out of eligibility at GSU but could get a year at Nicholls. Anyone from GSU know who this player is?

VictorG
December 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Lex.

I wonder what size Lex will have next year, or if we'll ever really know. This years "unofficial" reports had him any where from 225lbs to 240lbs before he got hurt. I really don't trust the info the school puts out about players weight as it seems they really don't put much effort into making sure it's updated.

Anyway, from what I hear Lex likes the weight room. I wonder what another year of living in there will do for him?

Mr. C
December 26th, 2006, 12:43 PM
Jayson Foster of GSU could be worth adding if he is given the ball.

Rumor is a GSU QB might leave for Nicholls State because he is out of eligibility at GSU but could get a year at Nicholls. Anyone from GSU know who this player is?
How can a player be out of eligibility at one FCS school and have a year at another? It might be possible for a player to have academic problems at one and transfer to another. I don't think Foster would be able to transfer and still play, unless he went to Division II. I don't think he has a year left to sit out. I'm surprised that a lot of Georgia Southern players didn't transfer to some of the option schools. But one thing that might hold many of them is the fact that most GSU players are redshirted as freshmen. To transfer FCS to FCS, they would lose a year.

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 01:22 PM
How can a player be out of eligibility at one FCS school and have a year at another? It might be possible for a player to have academic problems at one and transfer to another. I don't think Foster would be able to transfer and still play, unless he went to Division II. I don't think he has a year left to sit out. I'm surprised that a lot of Georgia Southern players didn't transfer to some of the option schools. But one thing that might hold many of them is the fact that most GSU players are redshirted as freshmen. To transfer FCS to FCS, they would lose a year.

It had something to do with his classes supposedly. He has a semester left or something. He would have to sit out next semester. I thought it sounded weird too.

I thought it sounded weird. The way the person from the school made it sound was that the player was the QB two years ago and he moved to WR. Foster would be that guy and I doubt he would leave GSU.

See what you can find out. Maybe this person had things VERY confused?

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 01:26 PM
I don't see Sanders being in the running. He doesn't have the stats for it. We don't throw enough for that.

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 02:16 PM
I don't see Sanders being in the running. He doesn't have the stats for it. We don't throw enough for that.

If he has 2000 yards and 15 TDs and UNI is a top 5-8 team like I think they will be he will find his name on the list. Whether or not he would have a shot to actually win, we will see.

PantherRob82
December 26th, 2006, 03:14 PM
If he has 2000 yards and 15 TDs and UNI is a top 5-8 team like I think they will be he will find his name on the list. Whether or not he would have a shot to actually win, we will see.

That's what I mean. He has no shot at winning.

KAUMASS
December 26th, 2006, 03:57 PM
Let's not forget about the unknown BS transfers in the upcoming year, like a Whitlock or Mason. I wish the Payton was announced after the playoffs. It would have gone to Baylark or Richardson this year if the playoffs held some strength for voting purposes. I am not taking away anything that Santos did this year, he is awesome player, but the CS is about the playoffs!!

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 06:05 PM
That is the great thing about the playoffs. We find out how good players are when they face the very best in the nation. To me the playoffs are where you separate the men from the boys.

mistersykes
December 26th, 2006, 06:12 PM
To me the playoffs are where you separate the men from the boys.

And some people obviously prefer boys. :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

smallcollegefbfan
December 26th, 2006, 08:36 PM
And some people obviously prefer boys. :D

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

That must mean R. Kelly would love the playoffs so he could get to those boys... :D

xlolx

udel
December 26th, 2006, 09:42 PM
Rickt Santos or Omar Cuff

GRZZ
December 26th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Lex Hilliard will definitely be a strong candidate, if he can show he back 100% from his Achilles tendon rupture. Tough, painful rehab from that injury.

Another thing to factor into Lex is how quickly the coaches bring him back before the conference schedule starts. I see Brooks-Fletcher getting quite a few carries early in the season, maybe I am wrong. I still think he will be in the running for it though.

ysubigred
December 27th, 2006, 06:29 AM
A homer alert :rolleyes:

Tom Zetts YSU QB :eyebrow: He might have to be a one man show "IF" Gibson and Mason are not replaced :bawling:

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM
A homer alert :rolleyes:

Tom Zetts YSU QB :eyebrow: He might have to be a one man show "IF" Gibson and Mason are not replaced :bawling:

No way in hell. :twocents:

Do you guys have a new Tom Zetts that we don't know about? The one last year did even worse when Mason and Gibson weren't helping carry the load.

ysubigred
December 27th, 2006, 01:49 PM
No way in hell. :twocents:

Do you guys have a new Tom Zetts that we don't know about? The one last year did even worse when Mason and Gibson weren't helping carry the load.

Hey I have to put in a good word for our boy :) "IF he has 11 games like he had against JMU watch out xcoffeex

GRZZ
December 27th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Hey I have to put in a good word for our boy :) "IF he has 11 games like he had against JMU watch out xcoffeex

Haha...the same could be said for many players across the country. If Cole Berquist has 11 games like his SDSU game this year, watch out for him!! :thumbsup:

Just giving you a hard time.

PantherRob82
December 27th, 2006, 05:19 PM

fair enough. :D

Jackluv
December 27th, 2006, 09:45 PM
alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson alex watson

89Hen
December 27th, 2006, 10:27 PM

Omar Cuff
Aaron Love
Joe Flacco
In my Homer opinion, Flacco was just as good as Santos when they met this past year and we all know how bad the Hen's D was.

Santos: 21 of 30 for 281 and 3 TD's
Flacco: 28 of 45 for 315 and 3 TD's

I know Santos is good, but I'll wait to see how he does without Ball. Has Santos ever even played a game without Ball?

December 27th, 2006, 11:02 PM
In my Homer opinion, Flacco was just as good as Santos when they met this past year and we all know how bad the Hen's D was.

Flacco: 28 of 45 for 315 and 3 TD'sSantos: 9 incompletions
Flacco: 17 incompletions

yeah, just as good.

RockJMUStar
December 28th, 2006, 10:21 AM
Richardson. Edwards. Eugene Holloman. Just wait.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
December 28th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Flacco: 28 of 45 for 315 and 3 TD's

I know Santos is good, but I'll wait to see how he does without Ball. Has Santos ever even played a game without Ball?

Santos: 9 incompletions

yeah, just as good.

Didn't Ricky also have 110 yards rushing and two TDs in addition to those passing stats for a five TD day?

For the record, I believe the 2004 playoff game in Missoula is the only complete game Santos has played without David Ball. For all intent and purpose, he also played without Ball in this year's monsoon game vs. Hofstra.

From what I've read, Ricky has admitted to just throwing the ball in David's direction during much of his freshman year. No question that in 2004 David Ball made Ricky Santos. But as Ricky has matured and gained experience, there has been less reliance on David Ball. He has really spread the ball around to multiple receivers the past two years. And especially this past season when so much attention was being given to David Ball by the defenses.

No question that Ricky will miss David, I mean :doh: !!!! Puts more pressure on the OL next season and some inexperienced WRs will have to step up for UNH. And looking ahead to next Fall, the WR slot is the biggest question mark for the UNH offense. All three QBs return, the top four RBs return and counting the TEs I believe ten of twelve on the two deep OL return. Two good receivers in LeVan and Boyle return. Things could be worse for Ricky so he should have a decent opportunity to show his skills.

89Hen
December 28th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Santos: 9 incompletions

yeah, just as good.
:rolleyes: The only measure of how good a QB is. :rolleyes:

89Hen
December 28th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Didn't Ricky also have 110 yards rushing and two TDs in addition to those passing stats for a five TD day?
He did, but I'd rather have Omar run the ball than Flacco. :twocents:

Again, it was just my homer opinion and it was based on what I watched. The two were tit for tat.

Eyes of Old Main
December 30th, 2006, 03:12 PM
This may be a long shot due to circumstance, but I'll throw out Kevious Johnson from Wofford.

Last year he was rusty for the first half of the season due to sitting out 2005 but still rushed for 730 yards, 6 TD's, and a 6.3 yds/carry. While that isn't Payton worthy, it's pretty good considering the rust and Wofford's offense which spreads carries around and features lots of running opportunities for the QB. Examples: In addition to Johnson, FB Michael Hobbs ran for 579 yards and 9 TD's and QB Josh Collier ran for 425 yards and 9 TD's. Both Collier and Hobbs return in 2007.

If he were able to be a true featured back with out splitting so many carries with other runners, K.J. would easily amass the stats to be "in the conversation" for the Payton Award. He's already the 6th leading rusher in Wofford history and will have a great shot to finish 2nd all-time.