PDA

View Full Version : FCS Team(s) that did well with backup QBs

AmsterBison
June 29th, 2016, 12:18 PM
Before NDSU ever won any FCS championships, I was watching a playoff game and was shocked and impressed to see a team doing really well with a backup QB after their star starter went down. Now I can't remember what team it was. Could it have been Villanova or Delaware in 2010? Of course, maybe this has happened plenty of times in FCS history.

Daytripper
June 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM
We did pretty well when Briscoe took over for Jared Johnson in the playoffs last year.

Silenoz
June 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM
Montana
2003 - we sucked
2005 - we sucked
2010 - we sucked
2012 - we sucked
2015 - eh.... all over the fricking place with all three quarterbacks

Really though QB wasn't the source of problems any of those years. Aside from maybe 2003? I can't even remember when we did and didn't have Ochs that year. But I recall using Disney, Sampson, Hartman, and Ochs at various points

Well I guess it was a major problem in 2012. But the issues that year were pretty expansive...

clenz
June 29th, 2016, 12:42 PM
Back up freshman Eric Sanders took UNI to the title game in 05 and had them 4 minutes away from the title, including road playoffs wins at #1 UNH and #3 Texas State in back to back weeks.

Mattymc727
June 29th, 2016, 01:03 PM
At one point, Ricky Santos was the back up. So was Tom Brady.

IBleedYellow
June 29th, 2016, 01:04 PM
Back up freshman Eric Sanders took UNI to the title game in 05 and had them 4 minutes away from the title, including road playoffs wins at #1 UNH and #3 Texas State in back to back weeks.

Bailey counts...right?

clenz
June 29th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Bailey counts...right?
He technically started the Iowa State opener last year...though we played three QBs.
We also played 2 against EWU, Cal Poly, Illinois State, NDSU game one, and WIU.

I believe through the first 6 games Sawyer had more passing attempts than Aaron did...so....It's like a half count.

Grizalltheway
June 29th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Montana
2003 - we sucked
2005 - we sucked
2010 - we sucked
2012 - we sucked

Really though QB wasn't the source of problems any of those years. Aside from maybe 2003? I can't even remember when we did and didn't have Ochs that year. But I recall using Disney, Sampson, Hartman, and Ochs at various points

Well I guess it was a major problem in 2012. But the issues that year were pretty expansive...

There's definitely a special place in hell for Justin Roper.

IBleedYellow
June 29th, 2016, 01:14 PM
He technically started the Iowa State opener last year...though we played three QBs.
We also played 2 against EWU, Cal Poly, Illinois State, NDSU game one, and WIU.

I believe through the first 6 games Sawyer had more passing attempts than Aaron did...so....It's like a half count.

http://i.imgur.com/dVDJiez.gif

BEAR
June 29th, 2016, 03:03 PM
Backup QB? I thought that was just another QB that came into the game WHEN your QB got hurt... not IF. Happens all the time here.
2015- Hildebrand in for Reed. Second in conference.
2014- Hildebrand in for Reed and Howard. eh. Not so good.
2013- Howard and Reed in for Smothers. 3rd in in conference.
2012- Smothers in for Howard. SLC Title.

xlolx

KPSUL
June 29th, 2016, 03:53 PM
I'll put UNH QB Andy Vailas up against anyone's stats who played most of his college ball as a backup QB. In 2013 and 2014 Andy stepped in to replace Sean Goldrich on numerous occasions and the team never skipped a beat. The most memorable stretch was when he replaced Sean who went down near the end of the game @ Richmond. Andy led the team on a game winning TD drive and proceeded to QB UNH to 5 more wins until Goldrich returned to action. He's got incredible stats for a career #2 guy: 4117 yards passing, 977 yards rushing. In 2012 Vailas and Goodrich split the QB duties, but in 2013 and 2014 Andy functioned as #2 on the depth chart. He also had an incredibly positive attitude and would always step up and help the team in anyway possible.

UNIFanSince1983
June 29th, 2016, 03:56 PM

I thought Sanders was the full time starter in 2005 after filling in for Petrie in 2004?

KPSUL
June 29th, 2016, 04:40 PM
We only have to go back to the 2015 season to see one of the finest backup QB performances. Easton Stick went 8-0 playing MVFC and playoff opponents in place of Wentz. Although I highly suspect Stick will ultimately be remembered as a multiple year starter, not a backup.

Model Citizen
June 29th, 2016, 10:23 PM
Morehead State's Jack Sherry was more than up to the task of replacing the injured Austin Gahafer. Both will return this fall.

San Diego v. Morehead looks like the best game in the Pioneer this year. Only in the PFL does a conference fail to schedule its best game.

Go Green
June 30th, 2016, 07:33 AM
Harvard's backup QB ended up getting the Ivy MVP last season. Although many griped that Dartmouth's Dalyn Williams should have gotten that (he's in the NFL now, and the Harvard guy is not).

BigHouseClosedEnd
June 30th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I'll put UNH QB Andy Vailas up against anyone's stats who played most of his college ball as a backup QB.

The most memorable stretch was when he replaced Sean who went down near the end of the game @ Richmond. Andy led the team on a game winning TD drive

Yes. Brutal.

AmsterBison
June 30th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Montana
2003 - we sucked
2005 - we sucked
2010 - we sucked
2012 - we sucked

That's been my experience following the Bison until last year. Before that, when NDSU's QB has gone down with an injury, the season went downhill - though usually not catastrophically. NDSU's worst seasons have not featured a backup QB.

SU DOG
June 30th, 2016, 09:30 AM
When RS-Fr. Devlin Hodges came in to replace Sr. Michael Eubank last year Samford was a better team. After a couple of games, it was apparent that Hodges was by far the better quarterback. Sometimes it's not just the stars and stats that go into the makings of a good QB, but a combination of ability and intangibles. Leadership, team chemistry, composure, and a myriad of other complex factors enter into the equation. I'm really excited to see what Hodges will do with our offense this season.

lionsrking2
June 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM
In 2013, Southeastern Louisiana went on the road and beat Samford with our backup QB. Starter, Bryan Bennett, was injured during the first series and we played the rest of the way with Jordan Barnett. He pretty much handed the ball off most of the day but completed some tough throws and managed the game well.

grizband
June 30th, 2016, 11:56 AM
John Edwards nearly brought the Griz back from a 20-3 deficit in 2000 National Championship against Georgia Southern, after Drew Miller was injured again in the game.

kdinva
June 30th, 2016, 12:07 PM
When RS-Fr. Devlin Hodges came in to replace Sr. Michael Eubank last year Samford was a better team. After a couple of games, it was apparent that Hodges was by far the better quarterback. Sometimes it's not just the stars and stats that go into the makings of a good QB, but a combination of ability and intangibles. Leadership, team chemistry, composure, and a myriad of other complex factors enter into the equation. I'm really excited to see what Hodges will do with our offense this season.

in reading those box scores, I agree.......and Mr. Hodges younger brother is now in Lexington @ summer school, conditioning, etc.....

BadlandsGrizFan
June 30th, 2016, 03:50 PM
There's definitely a special place in hell for Justin Roper.
More true words have never been spoken

SU DOG
June 30th, 2016, 07:51 PM
in reading those box scores, I agree.......and Mr. Hodges younger brother is now in Lexington @ summer school, conditioning, etc.....

As good as Al Cobb is, I don't suppose we will see much of Duncan Hodges this year. Wonder if he will RS this season? I have met Duncan on a couple of occasions, and he seemed to be a very nice young man. I know he is big and strong at 6-3, 220 or so, and was rated a 2** by Scout. I hope he does well at VMI.

Nova09
July 1st, 2016, 08:28 AM
In response to OP, 2010 Nova would have been Whitney who had won the National Championship in 2009, so not a backup. But, in 2009 he was splitting time much of the year with 5th year qb, so you might be thinking of some story about him not being a clear starter in the traditional sense at the beginning of the championship campaign.

AshevilleApp2
July 1st, 2016, 08:42 AM
2005-App QB Richie Williams badly hurt his ankle in the 1st quarter of the semifinal against Furman. Trey Elder filled in. And while making some mistakes, led the drive to the winning TD. He also played the first half of the championship game against Northern Iowa, while Williams played the 2nd. They each led the offense to one TD and the defense took care of the 3rd.

2006-Elder was the QB to start the season. He played in a loss to NC State and started against JMU (a win). He got banged up and some kid named Edwards filled in for a couple of series. AE then started the rest of the games.

2007-Edwards was hurt a couple of times and missed several games during the season. Elder filled in, and they went 4-0 . I think he could have led App to the championship that year. Maybe even 2006.

BEAR
July 1st, 2016, 11:39 AM

I'm not. xeyebrowx xlolx

huskie
July 2nd, 2016, 07:03 AM
Western Illinois University Sean McGuire replaced Trenton Norvell with 2 games remaining. McGuire wins against rated Indiana State and South Dakota State to lead WIU to the playoffs. WIU beats Dayton, then loses to Illinois State in second round of playoffs. McGuire has been named team Captain for the 2016 season. Still not sure if he will be the starter this year or not.

crimsonfan
July 3rd, 2016, 12:15 PM
Last year Joe Viviano was set to start at QB for Harvard, then went down with a torn ACL just before the opening game. The backup stepped in and led the team to a share of the Ivy title at 9-1, and was the league MVP.

bjtheflamesfan
July 3rd, 2016, 02:12 PM
Stephon Masha stepped into the starter role in 2014 for two games...the opponents? #1 Coastal Carolina and JMU...both end up wins. Masha is now the odds on favorite to open 2016 as the starter

Ivytalk
July 11th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Harvard's backup QB ended up getting the Ivy MVP last season. Although many griped that Dartmouth's Dalyn Williams should have gotten that (he's in the NFL now, and the Harvard guy is not).
And Williams may well have been the MVP, had he not choked up that 13-0 fourth-quarter lead against Harvard like a leather hairball.xlolx GG, you are a trip.

By the way, Scott Hosch was not a backup QB in '15. He backed up Hempel in '14. xreadx

crimsonfan
July 11th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Hosch was set to be the backup to Viviano in 2015 too, until Viviano tore his ACL shortly before the opening kickoff.

Go Green
July 12th, 2016, 07:01 AM
And Williams may well have been the MVP, had he not choked up that 13-0 fourth-quarter lead against Harvard like a leather hairball.xlolx GG, you are a trip.

xreadx

No one blamed Williams for that loss. A dropped touchdown pass in the Harvard end zone, a late fumble by the running back, and a failure to defend a fourth and 15 pass. Those weren't his fault.

The only silver lining I can think of is that we blew a game we should have won against Penn in 2013 (failed to convert several potential game winners in a triple overtime loss), thus extending an already-too-long losing streak against the Quakers even further. But in the 2014 and 2015 games, we absolutely manhandled Penn for some of our largest margins of victory against Penn in decades (margins that would have been even greater if Teevens hadn't emptied the benches early in the fourth in both games).

Hopefully something similar happens against the Crimson. :)

Ivytalk
July 12th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Hopefully something similar happens against the Crimson. :)

Well, you can wish in one hand...:)