PDA

View Full Version : Better Odds? Chatty v Alabama or USA v Argentina in the Copa America semi? Discuss

Catatonic
June 19th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Who ya got?

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 19th, 2016, 08:08 AM
USA soccer has a better chance of winning than Chatty.

dewey
June 19th, 2016, 08:15 AM
USA soccer has a better chance of winning than Chatty.

Agreed!

Dewey

BisonFan02
June 19th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Alabama wins in an upset. :D

JSUSoutherner
June 19th, 2016, 09:13 AM
How about....

LSU vs. JSU or USA vs. Argentina? :D

Speaking of which, when is that game? I caught the end of the Argentina game yesterday when I went out to eat but I don't keep up with soccer enough to know when the next match would be. But I would like to see it.

Laker
June 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
USA has a better chance. Chatty has almost no chance. But if given the choice, I'd rather watch the Chatty-Bama game.

POD Knows
June 19th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Perennial FCS powerhouse UTC will cover the spread vs. 'Bama, the spread will be 36. USA will lose to Argentina 3 to 1.

344Johnson
June 19th, 2016, 09:38 AM
US has about a 20% chance at winning(my guesstimate).

Chatty has <1%.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 19th, 2016, 09:46 AM
USA has a better chance. Chatty has almost no chance. But if given the choice, I'd rather watch the Chatty-Bama game.

This here. Soccer, or futbol, might be the world's most popular game but not for me. American football for me....xthumbsupx

PAllen
June 19th, 2016, 09:51 AM
USA has a better chance of winning the Copa Cent. than Chatty beating Bama.

dgtw
June 19th, 2016, 01:21 PM
I was unaware the soccer game was taking place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catatonic
June 19th, 2016, 01:33 PM

The USA has been called a "sports Island." We are kind of disconnected from the rest of the sports world.

344Johnson
June 19th, 2016, 01:40 PM
USA has a better chance of winning the Copa Cent. than Chatty beating Bama.

USA has a better chance of winning the Copa, the Olympics, and the World Cup in 2018 in succession than Chatty beating Bama.

dgtw
June 19th, 2016, 01:44 PM
The USA has been called a "sports Island." We are kind of disconnected from the rest of the sports world.

I just don't give a **** about soccer.

Catsfan90
June 19th, 2016, 02:40 PM

Same here. I don't even know what copa he is referring to.

dewey
June 19th, 2016, 03:05 PM
I just don't give a **** about soccer.

Yes sir!

Dewey

344Johnson
June 19th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Same here. I don't even know what copa he is referring to.

Copa America is South America's continental national team championship. They often invite teams from other areas to come play in it as well as guests since South America doesn't have a ton of countries. After the World Cup and Euros(some believe the Euros might be harder to win the world cup), it's the best national team competition in the world.

This is the 100th anniversary of them playing it I believe. Kinda odd to celebrate that by having it in the United States, but we do have pretty good stadiums/infrastructure to support it.

Twentysix
June 19th, 2016, 03:19 PM
Copa America is South America's continental national team championship. They often invite teams from other areas to come play in it as well as guests since South America doesn't have a ton of countries. After the World Cup and Euros(some believe the Euros might be harder to win the world cup), it's the best national team competition in the world.

This is the 100th anniversary of them playing it I believe. Kinda odd to celebrate that by having it in the United States, but we do have pretty good stadiums/infrastructure to support it.

The article i read said that the invitees come from Concacaf, except one time Japan was invited.

Concacaf is exclusively American teams.

Thumper 76
June 19th, 2016, 03:40 PM
Perennial FCS powerhouse UTC will cover the spread vs. 'Bama, the spread will be 36. USA will lose to Argentina 3 to 1.

Color me shocked that YOU had a prediction for the soccer game.

POD Knows
June 19th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Color me shocked that YOU had a prediction for the soccer game.

i am somewhat ashamed to admit this but I watched the USA game the other night. They beat some third world country and get to play another third world ****hole. I guess if they win they are in the championship of the Copacabana championship. I might even watch the USA Argentina game. Soccer still sucks

BisonTru
June 19th, 2016, 04:15 PM
When is this USA/Argentina game?

Catatonic
June 19th, 2016, 04:30 PM
i am somewhat ashamed to admit this but I watched the USA game the other night. They beat some third world country and get to play another third world ****hole. I guess if they win they are in the championship of the Copacabana championship. I might even watch the USA Argentina game. Soccer still sucks

Here are a couple of reasons to watch. "Third world" soccer fans from Argentina. Oh, and Lionel Messi.

http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/15/24/980x490/landscape-1434256694-mane.jpg

POD Knows
June 19th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Here are a couple of reasons to watch. "Third world" soccer fans from Argentina. Oh, and Lionel Messi.

http://esq.h-cdn.co/assets/15/24/980x490/landscape-1434256694-mane.jpg

Which one is Messi?

melloware13
June 19th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Scary thing about how US has done in Copa America is that if their current stage of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup ended today, they wouldn't advance (granted they have a guaranteed win in September). No need to worry about men's soccer in Rio, it's U23 and we didn't qualify (so American soccer fix has to be on winners, the ladies).

Dane96
June 19th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Scary thing about how US has done in Copa America is that if their current stage of qualifying for the 2018 World Cup ended today, they wouldn't advance (granted they have a guaranteed win in September). No need to worry about men's soccer in Rio, it's U23 and we didn't qualify (so American soccer fix has to be on winners, the ladies).

This is an incorrect statement. They are currently going to qualify to the hex round, as long as they win out. They are in 2nd in the group.

TheRevSFA
June 19th, 2016, 08:33 PM
When is this USA/Argentina game?

Tuesday night at 8pm at NRG in Houston.

I shall be in a suite at the game. Looking forward to it.

Also I'm not ashamed to say I love soccer and everything about it

chattownmocs
June 19th, 2016, 08:56 PM
Is this a serious question. Chattanooga beating alabama would be the biggest upset in college football history. USA beat the Netherlands and Germany last year.

TheKingpin28
June 19th, 2016, 10:11 PM
I'd always choose soccer over basketball and it is not even close. I played indoor right back and/or right defense this past year for footwork and to stay in shape. Played indoor soccer in highschool since I enjoyed the fact it was played on ice rink with AstroTurf over it and I could "tackle" / "check" someone into the boards and get away with it. Also I have been told I have a nasty drop in my leg since I used to be a punter in junior high and 10th grade team

BisonTru
June 19th, 2016, 11:02 PM

Will it be on TV? Channel?

I'm not opposed to watching a soccer game but not going to travel to Houston.

#iwishtherewasalittlemorescoring

Bisonoline
June 19th, 2016, 11:10 PM

Ive been to a couple of games and Ive tried to like it. But to be truthful the womens team could all be naked and I wouldnt walk accross the street to see it if it was free.
But hey that just me.

Enjoy yourself!!!!!

TheRevSFA
June 19th, 2016, 11:11 PM

i believe it's on FS1 and of course Univision

Grizalltheway
June 20th, 2016, 11:32 AM

I guess you missed the Chile-Mexico game. xlolx

TheRevSFA
June 20th, 2016, 12:05 PM
I guess you missed the Chile-Mexico game. xlolx

#SieteACero

UNIFanSince1983
June 20th, 2016, 03:34 PM
i believe it's on FS1 and of course Univision

Yup it is on FS1 for sure.

The answer is USA has a better chance, and they barely have a chance against the #1 ranked team in the world. At least they all have pro players though. Chatt's players aren't close to being on the same level as Alabama's.

Lehigh'98
June 20th, 2016, 04:34 PM
USA brings down Argentina!! Bank on it.

Thumper 76
June 20th, 2016, 10:28 PM
This is an incorrect statement. They are currently going to qualify to the hex round, as long as they win out. They are in 2nd in the group.

Could you post this in English for me please?

JayJ79
June 20th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Ive been to a couple of games and Ive tried to like it. But to be truthful the womens team could all be naked and I wouldnt walk accross the street to see it if it was free.
But hey that just me.

Enjoy yourself!!!!!

I'd watch that game. If only because it would remind me of some soccer matches from my college days...

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2016, 05:28 AM
I'd watch that game. If only because it would remind me of some soccer matches from my college days...

Watching the USMNT does remind me of soccer matches from my college days. Literally. Dempsey was our best player :)

TheRevSFA
June 21st, 2016, 06:49 AM
Watching the USMNT does remind me of soccer matches from my college days. Literally. Dempsey was our best player :)

Nacogdoches boy done good

PaladinFan
June 21st, 2016, 09:47 AM
As a Furman fan, I got to see Dempsey and Steph Curry both play in college. Both of those guys are arguable among the top ten male American athletes right now. Not bad for "small school products."

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22673&stc=1

UpstateBison
June 21st, 2016, 06:00 PM
Definitely not 1980 Olympic Hockey team big but USMNT beating Argentina would be a big win. Sorry for those of you that are not old enough to remember where you were when you heard the score of that hockey game.

BisonFan02
June 21st, 2016, 08:15 PM
The US has NO shot....../thread xlolx

The Boogie Down
June 21st, 2016, 08:19 PM
Definitely not 1980 Olympic Hockey team big but USMNT beating Argentina would be a big win. Sorry for those of you that are not old enough to remember where you were when you heard the score of that hockey game.

I was a kid and remember my parents having my grandparents over for Friday night pizza. The local news guy announced he was about to reveal the score and for everyone to turn away if they were waiting for the primetime broadcast.

My entire family (none of whom were sports fans, let alone hockey fans) erupted in cheers when seeing "USA 4, USSR 3." I was only 6 at the time and reading still ain't my forte, so I turned to my beautiful grandmother and said "Wow, we only lost by 1 goal!" then the cheering stopped and everyone just looked at me.

Anyways, as for this game I think Chatt vs. Bama is a good comparison strictly in terms of talent. The bulk of Argentina's roster plays in one of the "Big 4" Euro Leagues (pro soccer's version of P-5) while the rest plays in a smaller Euro leagues, the Argentine league or Mexican league (soccer's version of the G-5). Meanwhile, with a few exceptions, the bulk of the American roster plays in MLS which is more like the FCS by comparison.

But of course it's much easier to record an upset in soccer where goals come at such a premium. It's much easier for a lesser team to sneak out w/1-0 win, or a bunch of 1-0 wins ala Greece at the 2004's Euros than it is for any FCS to steal one from a P-5. So, although the talent gap is about the same, it's far more likely that the US wins tonight than Chatty pulling an "App State" type win over 'Bama.

That said, after 10 minutes of play, Argentina looks like they're gonna put on a football score tonight.

BisonTru
June 21st, 2016, 08:42 PM
This Messi dude is pretty good. How do we get him to play for us?

Also what happened to Brazil? Did they not show up?

The Boogie Down
June 21st, 2016, 10:39 PM

Wait for him to get old and then he'll sign on with some MLS or NASL team.

Like 'Bama in the DuBose/Franchione/Shula days, they ain't really Brazil anymore. Uniform is the same but they've been off for 5 years now:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copa_América

UNIFanSince1983
June 22nd, 2016, 09:01 AM
Wait for him to get old and then he'll sign on with some MLS or NASL team.

Unfortunately he would still be playing for Argentina in something like this.

Grizalltheway
June 22nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/353/279/e31.jpg

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2016, 09:25 AM
Was Argentina on the power play the whole game? :)

TheRevSFA
June 22nd, 2016, 09:27 AM
Even though we lost, seeing a team like Argentina play in person is amazing. Messi is ****ing incredible.

The USA fans did come out in numbers. Was insane there last night

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2016, 09:31 AM
Even though we lost, seeing a team like Argentina play in person is amazing. Messi is ****ing incredible.

The USA fans did come out in numbers. Was insane there last night

What happened to the guy from Argentina that went over the boards on the sideline. I saw he was walking around but it looked bad on TV.

344Johnson
June 22nd, 2016, 09:43 AM

Unfortunately...some of the best guys eligible for the US have often turned their backs and played for other countries. Rossi for Italy was born in New Jersey. Subotic for Serbia was born in Bosnia Herzegovina, raised in the US, even played for the US U-17 and U-20 teams...but plays for Serbia.

clenz
June 22nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
Unfortunately...some of the best guys eligible for the US have often turned their backs and played for other countries. Rossi for Italy was born in New Jersey. Subotic for Serbia was born in Bosnia Herzegovina, raised in the US, even played for the US U-17 and U-20 teams...but plays for Serbia.

And the Is has benefited from the same with Germans, especially as of late

IBleedYellow
June 22nd, 2016, 10:14 AM
I wanted to start watching USMNT more - but last nights performance was just poor.

I'm used to watching near perfect execution.

POD Knows
June 22nd, 2016, 10:23 AM
I wanted to start watching USMNT more - but last nights performance was just poor.

I'm used to watching near perfect execution.

:D Yea, me too, it is a curse.

clenz
June 22nd, 2016, 10:23 AM
The US is still a top 15 team in the world. Argentina really is that good.

US soccer truly is only about 25 years old in being respected. It's coming.

TheRevSFA
June 22nd, 2016, 11:52 AM
What happened to the guy from Argentina that went over the boards on the sideline. I saw he was walking around but it looked bad on TV.

He broke his arm

UNIFanSince1983
June 22nd, 2016, 02:43 PM

If the US had some of the best athletes in the country playing soccer it might make a difference too. Our best athletes play football or basketball. If we got a few of them that were playing soccer we could be a power. And no I don't mean taking current basketball and football players. I mean some of the most elite athletes in the country growing up wanting to play soccer instead of wanting to play football or basketball. If that happens we can be one of the top countries in the world.

clenz
June 22nd, 2016, 04:01 PM
Interesting topic in the athlete discussion in MPLS radio right now. Remind me to bring it up later when I'm home

IBleedYellow
June 22nd, 2016, 04:17 PM

I know this - and agree with you in both statements.

It's just frustrating. I expect the best. We're AMERICA!

I'd be awesome if we started investing more in Youth Soccer and grow the pipeline to make it bigger.

clenz
June 22nd, 2016, 04:20 PM
You're not paying attention if you think that is t happening. Google....sorry, Bing....participation rates.

Hell, the town I live in has a 15 pitch complex that has thousands of kids on it every Saturday. Cedar Falls the same.

If that's happening in freaking Iowa imagine other parts of the country.

clenz
June 22nd, 2016, 04:21 PM
That hits right on what I want to bring up when on a pc though.

344Johnson
June 22nd, 2016, 04:23 PM
And the Is has benefited from the same with Germans, especially as of late

Getting Air Base leftovers that the Krauts don't want has helped...certainly never going to lead the US to the promised land though.

Come on clenz, the US had zero shots....period. None on target, none off target. The US had 32% possession.

Argentina is good...but no team that gets pounded like that can call themselves top 15. Last time the US beat someone good in an actual tourney? I really don't know...they beat Spain in the '09 Confederations Cup but I don't really think that counts.

IBleedYellow
June 22nd, 2016, 04:24 PM
You're not paying attention if you think that is t happening. Google....sorry, Bing....participation rates.

Hell, the town I live in has a 15 pitch complex that has thousands of kids on it every Saturday. Cedar Falls the same.

If that's happening in freaking Iowa imagine other parts of the country.

I am paying attention - I'm saying that we need to do more.

grizband
June 22nd, 2016, 04:55 PM
Getting Air Base leftovers that the Krauts don't want has helped...certainly never going to lead the US to the promised land though.

Come on clenz, the US had zero shots....period. None on target, none off target. The US had 32% possession.

Argentina is good...but no team that gets pounded like that can call themselves top 15. Last time the US beat someone good in an actual tourney? I really don't know...they beat Spain in the '09 Confederations Cup but I don't really think that counts.
Why wouldn't the US win over Spain in 2009 count? That's one of our biggest international wins ever.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The Boogie Down
June 22nd, 2016, 08:49 PM
Why wouldn't the US win over Spain in 2009 count? That's one of our biggest international wins ever.

The big countries treat Confeds Cup the way big schools would treat the Blue Bonnet Bowl back in the day. Yeah, a win is a win if you can get it but I doubt even Brazilians remember all the Confeds they've won.

The Boogie Down
June 22nd, 2016, 09:18 PM

I would have agreed w/you back in 2002. The talent level on the US roster is night and day when comparing the 1990 WC team to the 2002 WC team.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_A#United_States_vs_Czech oslovakia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2002_FIFA_World_Cup_Group_D#United_States_vs_Portu gal

The '90 roster was a combo of indoor soccer players and regional league level-3 types. It included a few guys who'd later come up short in MLS. The 2002 roster featured a few guys who were either already playing in top Euro Leagues or would play there shortly later, as well as many MLS all-stars. If you look at the 1994 roster and 1998 roster, regardless of results, you can see that slow but steady improvement in talent. Since 2002 however the talent has flatlined. Unfortunately, despite this nice run into the semis, I think the talent ceiling was hit over a decade ago.

The Boogie Down
June 22nd, 2016, 09:33 PM
Disappointed in my Patriot League compatriots for not having hijacked this thread yet. Especially w/the constant mentions of Alejandro Melean being a star at Holy Cross. Where's Sader87 when ya need him?

TheRevSFA
June 22nd, 2016, 09:37 PM
Michael Bradley needs to go. When Bob was around that was nepotism at its finest

TheValleyRaider
June 22nd, 2016, 09:47 PM
Disappointed in my Patriot League compatriots for not having hijacked this thread yet. Especially w/the constant mentions of Alejandro Melean being a star at Holy Cross. Where's Sader87 when ya need him?

Who needs HC? We've got Rob Stone (Colgate '91) leading the coverage :D

http://gocolgateraiders.com/common/controls/image_handler.aspx?thumb_prefix=rp_primary&image_path=/images/2012/10/26/Rob_Stone_Split.jpg
http://gocolgateraiders.com/news/2012/10/26/MSOC_1026123237.aspx

TheValleyRaider
June 22nd, 2016, 10:03 PM
In terms of growing the roster, it's about taking that last big step. It's not that big a step to go from being ranked about 30-50 in the world up to the top 20-30. It's getting regularly into that top 10-15, the regular contenders, that's the last big step. Look at Mexico. They've been trying to do it for a century and still can't quite get there.

chattownmocs
June 23rd, 2016, 05:28 AM
Now chattanooga technically has a better chance.

clenz
June 23rd, 2016, 02:05 PM
I am paying attention - I'm saying that we need to do more.What I meant to post yesterday

The issue with youth development in America is the way Americans view athletes.

Look at the best soccer players in the world, look at the best clubs in the world, and then look what those players look like.

They are 5'7-5'10 and 150-175lbs. Harry Kane is the best striker in England right now and is a giant on the pitch at 6'2. He weights a whopping 143 lbs though.

The youth Amercan development is coaches look at soccer players the same way as football and basketball - "Give me the tallest, biggest and fastest" and seem to completely ignore the finesse and artistry that soccer requires. I've had the argument with FormerPokeCenter on here that soccer sucks because it has terrible athletes and since even the best soccer players in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar, Kane, Bale, Muller, etc...) don't look like NFL saftey's, linebackers, running backs, etc... they aren't real athletes and to win you need that kind of athlete.

The US needs to focus on foot skill, and artestry, more than size and "athlete" as we know it

344Johnson
June 23rd, 2016, 02:40 PM
What I meant to post yesterday

Look at the best soccer players in the world, look at the best clubs in the world, and then look what those players look like.

They are 5'7-5'10 and 150-175lbs. Harry Kane is the best striker in England right now and is a giant on the pitch at 6'2. He weights a whopping 143 lbs though.

The youth Amercan development is coaches look at soccer players the same way as football and basketball - "Give me the tallest, biggest and fastest" and seem to completely ignore the finesse and artistry that soccer requires. I've had the argument with FormerPokeCenter on here that soccer sucks because it has terrible athletes and since even the best soccer players in the world (Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Neymar, Kane, Bale, Muller, etc...) don't look like NFL saftey's, linebackers, running backs, etc... they aren't real athletes and to win you need that kind of athlete.

The US needs to focus on foot skill, and artestry, more than size and "athlete" as we know it

Yeah, I'm with you man.

Sader87
June 23rd, 2016, 11:40 PM

Holy Cross has a soccer team? Who knew?

The Boogie Down
June 24th, 2016, 08:17 PM
Holy Cross has a soccer team? Who knew?

Rumor has it they coulda joined MLS back in '96 but decided to stay w/the Patsies.

The Boogie Down
June 24th, 2016, 08:30 PM
Who needs HC? We've got Rob Stone (Colgate '91) leading the coverage :D
Can't argue with that :(

It's getting regularly into that top 10-15, the regular contenders, that's the last big step. Look at Mexico. They've been trying to do it for a century and still can't quite get there.
Can't argue with that either :(

... But can add that aside from Fordham being home to the legendary Lombardi, for one night at least, Fordham was also home to the legendary NY Cosmos!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp0OURuKu88

Catatonic
June 25th, 2016, 06:17 AM
What I meant to post yesterday

Great point. Messi is 5'61/2,148 pounds.