PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports Top 25 FCS

SU DOG
June 9th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Hope this hasn't been posted somewhere - so many of these preseason rankings and predictions. Anyhow:

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/athlon-sports-fcs-preseason-top-25-2016

Panther88
June 9th, 2016, 01:48 PM
Looks about right. :D lol

PaladinFan
June 9th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Powershift back south? 7 of top 10 in the South and 5 of them in Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

(if you want to argue that Richmond is the Mid-Atlantic and Sam Houston is the Southwest, I won't quibble).

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 03:17 PM
Powershift back south? 7 of top 10 in the South and 5 of them in Alabama, Tennessee, and South Carolina.

(if you want to argue that Richmond is the Mid-Atlantic and Sam Houston is the Southwest, I won't quibble).

WTF??? We are South! West begins at Waco.

FUBeAR
June 9th, 2016, 03:35 PM
if you want to argue that Richmond is the Mid-Atlantic, I won't quibble).

You just set Bobby Lee a-spinnin' in his tomb, just a stone's throw from, SOUTHERN Conference Member, VMI's campus.

melloware13
June 9th, 2016, 04:22 PM
You just set Bobby Lee a-spinnin' in his tomb, just a stone's throw from, SOUTHERN Conference Member, VMI's campus.

Richmond, and UR especially, seem to be more of a cultural fit being the southern end of the Mid-Atlantic.

McNeese72
June 9th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Why do these guys keep ranking McNeese?? New coaching staff, new offense, new QB, and little offensive line depth. That makes success the season a little questionable.

On top of that, it is not known if Isiah Golden will even be on the team this season.

Doc

Daytripper
June 9th, 2016, 04:31 PM
Why do these guys keep ranking McNeese?? New coaching staff, new offense, new QB, and little offensive line depth. That makes success the season a little questionable.

On top of that, it is not known if Isiah Golden will even be on the team this season.

Doc

You WERE undefeated in the regular season last year....carryover, I guess.

McNeese72
June 9th, 2016, 05:13 PM
You WERE undefeated in the regular season last year....carryover, I guess.

Not the same team. We lost a lot. Qb, offensive line, and DB's. New coaching staff. The lack of offensive line dept is what is going to kill us if we don't get any transfers that could help us right away. Without any help, all it would take would be a few injuries in the OL and we would be dead (or our QB would be ;) )

Doc

Doc

SUPharmacist
June 9th, 2016, 05:19 PM

Doc

I know I could just google this, but who took you guys out in the playoffs last year?

JSUSoutherner
June 9th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I know I could just google this, but who took you guys out in the playoffs last year?
Sam Houston State.

Speaking of which, I still don't see how they are number 2.

centennial
June 9th, 2016, 06:09 PM
Montana fans- Didn't Stitt bring in 40-50 new players this year? How many players did he cut? Does anyone expect that a team with so much change is going to be competitive? Or am I completely off base and the Athlon ranking is appropriate?

McNeese72
June 9th, 2016, 08:18 PM

Sam Houston because we couldn't score from 1st and goal at the 1. :(

Doc

FUBeAR
June 10th, 2016, 09:05 AM

Doc

If I recall, the Cowboys went in reverse for about 40 yards from that 1st & Goal at the 1 and then threw a pick. Right? Sorry to remind you, but that game KILLED my AGS bracket, so I'm still salty at that PoopShow of a series. xeyebrowx

BadlandsGrizFan
June 10th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Montana fans- Didn't Stitt bring in 40-50 new players this year? How many players did he cut? Does anyone expect that a team with so much change is going to be competitive? Or am I completely off base and the Athlon ranking is appropriate?

He did bring in a lot of new players, also got rid of our d coordinator who went over to little brother Montana State so Stitts guy can take over. Word is that he was actually putting together the game plans anyhow last year.

Still have our big QB, showed signs of brilliance last year, beat NDSU before he got hurt. Came back and played great except for against NDSU in the playoffs (most people could say the same lol). All our talent at RB returns....O-line should be a year better and more mature than last year, I look for them to be improved.

WR core lost a ton of talent...but than loaded right back up on even more talent, some young kids and transfers. I think with Stitt and many returning players having a year of Stitts offense under their belt should bring drastic improvements to that side of the ball.

Defense lost a lot also, but we seem to be loaded as usual with talent at linebacker. At DE we have Kidder who will be in the running for defensive player of the year and an all-american. Rest of the d-line has experience....

Very excited about our secondary, it appears that everyone starting in our secondary this year will be a transfer from the Pac-12.....at least half way through the season when we get our best CB back from suspension. Lots of talent has moved into the secondary this off season........

I expect similar if not slightly better results than last year.....tons of talent at a WR position that uses 10 different WRs any given game......new D coordinator running a new 3-4 scheme...should be a very agressive defense.

We have a tough schedule again.....I predict we will be in the running to win the Big Sky.....although with the new BSC format team that aren't as talented like North Dakota...will have a great shot at winning the BSC because of a seriously laughably easy schedule...

I would say that their ranking to start the season is accurate...look to finish the season higher most likely.

mvemjsunpx
June 10th, 2016, 10:38 AM

Short answer: the amount of established talent is lower, but the cohesion within the new offensive system should be better (it was way better this spring versus last spring). Also, the O-Line won't be breaking in a bunch of new starters for the first time in 3 years. QB depth should also be improved, though hopefully UM won't have to go with the 3rd. stringer for an extended period this time.

PaladinFan
June 10th, 2016, 12:50 PM
Richmond, and UR especially, seem to be more of a cultural fit being the southern end of the Mid-Atlantic.

Correct. Highly scientific studies confirm this. http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/01/where-does-the-south-begin/70052/

Sammy94
June 10th, 2016, 04:18 PM
On top of that, it is not known if Isiah Golden will even be on the team this season

In trouble again?

Sammy94
June 10th, 2016, 04:20 PM
Sam Houston State.

The Keeler effect is all it is, we suck probably shouldn't be ranked.

Sammy94
June 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM
Sam Houston State.

The Keeler effect is all it is. A QB who can't run, 2 RB's on the depth chart and 1 proven WR with an unproven def coordinator?? Maybe we should be 23 or so perhaps the last number falling off is a typo?

SUPharmacist
June 10th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Doc

Sorry I brought it up, but thanks for the response.

JSUSoutherner
June 10th, 2016, 05:13 PM

Doc
At least you guys went for it. Could have been worse. You could have punted on 4th and 3 centimeters in the National Championship game.

McNeese75
June 10th, 2016, 08:54 PM
In trouble again?

Nope, just now dealing with the issue at A&M. He has been just fine since he transferred.

clutchcitykat
June 10th, 2016, 09:04 PM
In trouble again?

If you call getting 10 years in prison getting in trouble than yeah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNH_Alum_In_CT
June 11th, 2016, 09:12 AM

Many years ago on AGS, I saw the Spiders being called UNJR (University of New Jersey Richmond). :D

KPSUL
June 11th, 2016, 09:25 AM
Many years ago on AGS, I saw the Spiders being called UNJR (University of New Jersey Richmond). :D
Now that's bound to upset the Richmond elitists!

TribeNomad1
June 11th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Not sure much has changed.....

Son of Eli
June 11th, 2016, 06:04 PM
I'm glad to see the Ivy League has two of these Top 25 on their schedules, Towson vs. Dartmouth and Colgate vs. Yale. Those games will be good tests for the Ivy League.

McNeese72
June 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
In trouble again?

No, he has been a model citizen since he has been here. This is residual stuff from the stupid thing he another player did at A&M. Coaching staff thinks he might be back before the season because he has shown remorse and has cooperated fully with law enforcement and has not been in any trouble since. It all depends on the judge.

Doc

McNeese72
June 12th, 2016, 09:58 AM
If you call getting 10 years in prison getting in trouble than yeah.

It wasn't "again". It is from what happened at A&M. He has straightened himself out and has not had any trouble since being at McNeese. There is a possiblity that the sentence will reduced since he has shown remorse and cooperated fully. It all depends on the judge.

Doc

Bisonator
June 12th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I'm glad to see the Ivy League has two of these Top 25 on their schedules, Towson vs. Dartmouth and Colgate vs. Yale. Those games will be good tests for the Ivy League.

xlolx

clenz
June 12th, 2016, 08:36 PM
It wasn't "again". It is from what happened at A&M. He has straightened himself out and has not had any trouble since being at McNeese. There is a possiblity that the sentence will reduced since he has shown remorse and cooperated fully. It all depends on the judge.

Doc

If your a program that's praying for a kid who just got sentenced to 10 years in prison to get back on the field it's a pretty damming indictment on the kind of character that your program brings in.

See also Baylor

McNeese72
June 12th, 2016, 10:37 PM
If your a program that's praying for a kid who just got sentenced to 10 years in prison to get back on the field it's a pretty damming indictment on the kind of character that your program brings in.

See also Baylor

It was when he was at Texas A&M a couple of years ago. He happened to be with another guy who (from what I heard) decided to rob a drug dealer with a BB gun. He cooperated with law enforcement, testified against the guy, turned his life around, and has been clean since this. This is definitely not another Cecil Collins.

Catatonic
June 13th, 2016, 04:46 AM

See also Baylor

I applaud schools that offer second chances, provided there is careful vetting. The problem at Baylor was that little or no pre-admission vetting took place and Title IX requirements for investigation alleged infractions committed after admission were ignored in favor of the coach handling problems himself without informing others.

Sounds like McNeese vetted the player in question pretty carefully. I am happy to see a guy turn his life around. I am not happy to have to play against him though. He is a beast.

Bison Fan in NW MN
June 13th, 2016, 07:41 AM
My early summer top 5:

1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. Richmond
4. Jax State
5. SHSU

McNeese75
June 13th, 2016, 04:39 PM

See also Baylor

I am sure everyone on the NI team are Boy Scouts. xcoffeex

clenz
June 13th, 2016, 04:44 PM
I am sure everyone on the NI team are Boy Scouts. xcoffeex
Well, we don't have anyone facing 10 years in prison...so we have that going for usxcoffeex

uni88
June 13th, 2016, 05:49 PM
Well, we don't have anyone facing 10 years in prison...so we have that going for usxcoffeex

We've taken some chances before. I don't remember all of the details but Benny Sapp lost his spot at Iowa and ended up at UNI and that turned out ok. Depending on the circumstances, people deserve a second chance. The key is to have the leadership and structure in place to help keep them from getting into trouble again. You can't stop everyone but you can try. The problem isn't in giving people 2nd chances, it's in sweeping problems under the rug in the interest of winning.

crimsonfan
June 13th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Kind of obscene to be making all these excuses for marginal characters who just "happen" to be ath-a-letes, when it is fairly clear that "ordinary" people would not be given the same 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances that people like uni88, as a "Major FCS Ruler", Catatonic and others, seem willing to extend, endlessly, "in the interest of winning."

RundaPower
June 13th, 2016, 06:44 PM

On offense Towson returns a healthy Darius Victior at RB ( lots of depth and talent here) both FB's and 13 OL's (all experienced with all the injuries that have occurred in 2014 &15) . The Oregon transfer is on campus and participating in the pre-season programs. He looks ready to compete for a starting spot along with the young corp at QB. TE's and WR's are big, fast and experienced. Add more suprises prior to camp.
One of the top defenses in the country will be improved in 2016. Bolstered by the return of Bryton Barr at LB the LB group could be the best ever. The DL returns 4 300+ pounders that will be a dominant group. 6'2 1/4 335 pound So Reece Burnett seems poised for a breakout year at NG (he'll back up 6'2 307lb beast Max Tejada). The back end could be the best ever with 9 guys rotating and All-CAA level talent. Punter should be one of the best in the country. specials all improved.
Add in the tremendous 2015 class that will be redshirt freshmen and a truley underrated freshman class that consists 3-3* kids and 3-3* kids ( may be the best class in. FCS).

Catatonic
June 13th, 2016, 06:51 PM
Kind of obscene to be making all these excuses for marginal characters who just "happen" to be ath-a-letes, when it is fairly clear that "ordinary" people would not be given the same 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances that people like uni88, as a "Major FCS Ruler", Catatonic and others, seem willing to extend, endlessly, "in the interest of winning."

When did indignation replace rationale discussion at Harvard? Civil discourse. You might try it sometime. Preferably by responding to what posters actually said rather than what you imagine was our intent.

The Yo Show
June 13th, 2016, 08:36 PM

See also Baylor

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to clenz again."

SeattleBobcat
June 13th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I though this was a pretty decent poll, could swap lots of the teams, but I though it represented the top 25 well.

uni88
June 13th, 2016, 10:03 PM
What the heck are you talking about? Please reread my post and let me know where I said or insinuated that we should give athletes 3rd and 4th chances that we don't give ordinary people "in the interest of winning." I simply provided an example of where giving an athlete a 2nd chance worked out.

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 08:18 AM

In the legal system people get second chances all the time. Probation. Suspended sentences. Community service. They were convicted but, based on their history and attitude, got another chance. These people are not the subject of fan forums, though, so we don't hear or talk about it.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2016, 09:25 AM
In the legal system people get second chances all the time. Probation. Suspended sentences. Community service. They were convicted but, based on their history and attitude, got another chance. These people are not the subject of fan forums, though, so we don't hear or talk about it.

President Obama has spoken in favor of extending giving second chances to convicted felons by restoring their voting rights and by granting amnesty (or similar) to illegal immigrants.

crimsonfan
June 14th, 2016, 09:26 AM
Right .... "so he stole a few computers, raped a couple of girls and got thrown out of State ... he said he was sorry, didn't he, and the local judge, an alumnus, gave him probation. And besides, we NEED a point guard!"

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Right .... "so he stole a few computers, raped a couple of girls and got thrown out of State ... he said he was sorry, didn't he? And besides, we NEED a point guard!"

I get your point. Are there those really bad guys that get another chance? Sure, but I would guess they are few and far between. The majority, I believe, are just kids who made a youthful mistake or was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people. But, you will perceive it however you wish.

Catatonic
June 14th, 2016, 10:19 AM
I get your point. Are there those really bad guys that get another chance? Sure, but I would guess they are few and far between. The majority, I believe, are just kids who made a youthful mistake or was in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people. But, you will perceive it however you wish.

Exactly. There are those who warrant a second chance. I'd add that it is incumbent on any school that admits such a student athlete to carefully vet that individual and that the decision should not reside with the coach alone.

crimsonfan
June 14th, 2016, 10:36 AM
"The decision should not reside with the coach alone", says Catatonic ..... Why should "the coach" have anything to do with it at all? I take it there are schools which lack Admissions Office involvement (for ath-a-letes. at least), or where "the coach" can bypass such bothersome little bureaucratic niceties - overlooking "youthful mistakes" - like being "in the wrong place, at the wrong time, with the wrong people" - if he REALLY needs a point guard!

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 10:49 AM
"The decision should not reside with the coach alone", says Catatonic ..... Why should "the coach" have anything to do with it at all? I take it there schools which lack a regular Admissions Office (for ath-a-letes. at least), or where "the coach" can bypass such bothersome little bureaucratic details if he REALLY needs a point guard?

Because the coach's job is dependent on the student/athletes that play for him.... see Art Briles. And just like astrophysics students choose a university to work with a renowned professor, athletes often choose schools to work with specific coaches. We understand that you think athletes shouldn't get special treatment, but the reality of it is they do. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

crimsonfan
June 14th, 2016, 11:20 AM
"Right or wrong" you don't care? Let the coach hire whatever Hessians he wants for players - school, classes, all that stupid stuff, has nothing to do with it?

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 12:11 PM
"Right or wrong" you don't care? Let the coach hire whatever Hessians he wants for players - school, classes, all that stupid stuff, has nothing to do with it?

You're just trolling now. I didn't say I don't care. I do care, greatly. But I also love college football and I love for my team to win. The system in place right now is imperfect, to say the least. Bad guys and other athletes get special treatment occasionally. It doesn't mean I quit watching college football. Too bad all students everywhere can't be treated equal like they do in the Ivies.....

crimsonfan
June 14th, 2016, 02:09 PM
Clearly, what you care most about, as a "Top FCS Ruler", is "winning" - even if it takes "bad guys" to do so. At least you're honest about it.

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM
Clearly, what you care most about, as a "Top FCS Ruler", is "winning" - even if it takes "bad guys" to do so. At least you're honest about it.

You are simple. There is a difference between young men given a second chance and "bad guys." It is good to know that you have never done anything in your life that might have gotten you in trouble....what a boring life.

clenz
June 14th, 2016, 03:09 PM
You are simple. There is a difference between young men given a second chance and "bad guys." It is good to know that you have never done anything in your life that might have gotten you in trouble....what a boring life.
I'd say someone convicted of 10 years in prison is probably in the "bad guy" category

Daytripper
June 14th, 2016, 03:32 PM
I'd say someone convicted of 10 years in prison is probably in the "bad guy" category

I have not, and would not, argue that that guy is not bad. This conversation has transitioned to "general transfers" from schools for any violation or infraction.

McNeese75
June 14th, 2016, 05:14 PM

Heaven help you if circumstances put you in the wrong place at the wrong time by coincidence and you happen to get hammered with a lengthy sentence. It can happen and you know it so the 10 year thing is bull**** to hang as a "Bad Guy". Just to clarify AGAIN for you and the holier than thou HAAAAAAAAAAAVID goddess. The player in question with the 10 year sentence wanted to transfer as soon as he was released from A&M. The McNeese head coach told him no and invited him to sit out a year, workout, and keep his nose clean and then they would consider him. He did what they asked and they invited him to the team. He wan't just handed a second chance. He had to earn it.

I am NOT defending his decisions or actions that put him in the situation he is in. In reality, he will probably get a probation after the 120 days but that will keep him out of the upcoming season.

POD Knows
June 14th, 2016, 05:36 PM

You are arguing with a Harvard douche bag, where their crap smells like wildflowers in the spring and their smugness causes vomiting in 99.9% of the world. Harvard grads are only corrupt once they leave their ivy towers and inflict their bull**** on the rest of humanity.

Thumper 76
June 14th, 2016, 06:17 PM

Ah, I see. So I would assume that Harvard is a bastion of the true student athlete filled with angels and choir boys who all must meet the same criteria as the rest of the schools and their Ivy League brethren, yes?

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2008/03/02/sports/ncaabasketball/02harvard.html
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/25/opinion/mills-harvard-cheating/

crimsonfan
June 15th, 2016, 06:35 PM
Fortunately, the Ivy Sports Board is back up tonight!

Catatonic
June 15th, 2016, 06:40 PM
Fortunately, the Ivy Sports Board is back up tonight!

Fortunate, indeed.

Grizalltheway
June 15th, 2016, 06:57 PM
Fortunate, indeed.

Yep, hopefully he can go back to not advocating for FCS there.xcoffeex

crimsonfan
June 15th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Sowwy fer bruising yer tender FCS feeeelings!

Catatonic
June 15th, 2016, 08:12 PM

Thanks for sharing your vast haaavard intellect with we mere mortals.

Bisonoline
June 15th, 2016, 09:18 PM

We just feel bad that you will be leaving us and we will no longer be privileged to to read your insightful knowledge based posts. Oh wait that was some one else. You havent added anything except for the run of the mill weak troll bait. You will need to up your game before you come back.xcoffeex

Daytripper
June 15th, 2016, 10:00 PM

Didn't hurt my feelings. It just proved to everybody here that you are a dick.

Bisonoline
June 15th, 2016, 10:59 PM
Didn't hurt my feelings. It just proved to everybody here that you are a dick.

You gotta look at it this way. He certainly cant hang his hat on the quality of IVY football so he gotta rely on what comes natural. For him its obvious and thats all hes got. And its weak at that. LOL

Catatonic
June 16th, 2016, 03:49 AM
We just feel bad that you will be leaving us and we will no longer be privileged to to read your insightful knowledge based posts. Oh wait that was some one else. You havent added anything except for the run of the mill weak troll bait. You will need to up your game before you come back.xcoffeex

Crimson provided eloquent testimony in favor of banning legacy admissions to Ivy League schools.

crimsonfan
June 16th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Wow! You "FCS Ruler" and FCS Master" types are really HARSH!

JSUSoutherner
June 16th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Wow! You "FCS Ruler" and FCS Master" types are really HARSH!
If you think that's harsh, you "Ivy" types are really SOFT! :D

crimsonfan
June 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
OUCH ... another "FCS Master" ... and this one a "reigning champ" !!!

Bisonator
June 16th, 2016, 03:25 PM

How's it going Britney?xlolx

Daytripper
June 16th, 2016, 03:37 PM
If you dig deep enough, you can find anybody.....well, I found crimsonfan:

https://media.giphy.com/media/m0lHcDQLsF0Zy/giphy.gif

UNIFanSince1983
June 16th, 2016, 03:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/i1Ok6qN.gif

Thumper 76
June 16th, 2016, 04:36 PM

I see you had the balls to give me a solid rebuttal.

JSUSoutherner
June 16th, 2016, 05:12 PM
OUCH ... another "FCS Master" ... and this one is a "reigning champ" !!!
Since you're one of those smart "Ivy" types I took the liberty of adding a linking verb to your last post to make it grammatically correct.

I'd hate for anyone to think you were anything less than perfect. :D

crimsonfan
June 16th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Your "linking verb" is not really required in this case, Mr. "FCS Master" and "reigning champ"!

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
June 16th, 2016, 06:29 PM
Your "linking verb" is not really required in this case, Mr. "FCS Master" and "reigning champ"!

You hate your face. You sound like a cotton-headed-ninny-muggins. Hows that for language?

JSUSoutherner
June 16th, 2016, 07:10 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22637&stc=1

Thumper 76
June 16th, 2016, 08:02 PM
http://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22637&stc=1

xlolx xlolx xlolx must spread rep

RichH2
July 31st, 2016, 12:52 PM
Wow, just thought I would stop by and read some before finishing my votes. Some good info in the first 5-6 pages . Thanks. Quickly devolved into a troll marathon :) Ugh!

Catatonic
July 31st, 2016, 01:23 PM
Not the same team. We lost a lot. Qb, offensive line, and DB's. New coaching staff. The lack of offensive line dept is what is going to kill us if we don't get any transfers that could help us right away. Without any help, all it would take would be a few injuries in the OL and we would be dead (or our QB would be ;) )

Doc

Doc

So y'all are like a Cajun version of Houston Baptist?

McNeese75
July 31st, 2016, 04:16 PM
So y'all are like a Cajun version of Houston Baptist?

Kinda, but we drink!! xdrunkyx