PDA

View Full Version : Austin Peay vs Troy

TroyFootball05
May 30th, 2016, 10:03 PM
Greetings. Troy fan here. Hope all is well in FCS land. I'd like a little info on our season opener here in Troy. I know Austin Peay has struggled in recent years, and maybe longer than that, but I see they have a new coach that many seem to be high on in terms of his success at previous stops and the intensity he bringing to the program. For any who follow or a know a little about Austin Peay, what can I expect in Game 1?

superman7515
May 30th, 2016, 10:13 PM
A shellacking that is in no way indicative of how a real football team at the FCS level is run.

Twentysix
May 30th, 2016, 10:16 PM
Greetings. Troy fan here. Hope all is well in FCS land. I'd like a little info on our season opener here in Troy. I know Austin Peay has struggled in recent years, and maybe longer than that, but I see they have a new coach that many seem to be high on in terms of his success at previous stops and the intensity he bringing to the program. For any who follow or a know a little about Austin Peay, what can I expect in Game 1?

Austin Peay is an absolute dumpster fire. Expect to win by 10 touchdowns, otherwise your team is awful.

They have been awful as long as I've followed the FCS, and last year they failed to win a single game. They also play in a conference that is very weak, so not winning a single game is even more awful. Their closest game was a 14 point loss to another relatively weak FCS team.

bonarae
May 31st, 2016, 12:00 AM
Troy will win this one very easily; expect this to be over at the end of the 1st quarter. xsmhx

The Governors have been struggling ever since there were still no subdivisions in Division I football.

mvemjsunpx
May 31st, 2016, 01:06 AM
Austin Peay went 7-4 in their first year back in the OVC in 2007. They've only won 14 games total since.

That tells you all you need to know. xcoffeex

JSUSoutherner
May 31st, 2016, 01:32 AM
You guys picked the wrong OVC team to play. xnodx

Twentysix
May 31st, 2016, 01:56 AM
You guys picked the wrong OVC team to play. xnodx

Or maybe they picked the right one?

JSUSoutherner
May 31st, 2016, 02:30 AM
Or maybe they picked the right one?

Nope.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_for_the_Ol%27_School_Bell

I've always heard stories from when the rivalry was going but it ended a while back so I never got to see a game. I heard they were a lot of fun. Especially the rivalry between the Southerners and the Sound of the South.

Cocky
May 31st, 2016, 06:28 AM
Dont expect troy to sign up for a butt whupping from JSU. Some team are just scared of others and for good reason.

RootinFerDukes
May 31st, 2016, 06:50 AM
This is coming from a person that doesn't know much about Austin peay but has just looked at their complete lack of success from the outside.
Don't worry, you'll win. Don't associate their performance with all of Fcs. Most of us aren't that bottom of the barrel bad.

TroyFootball05
May 31st, 2016, 09:28 AM
This is coming from a person that doesn't know much about Austin peay but has just looked at their complete lack of success from the outside.
Don't worry, you'll win. Don't associate their performance with all of Fcs. Most of us aren't that bottom of the barrel bad.

I'm not worried about losing so much, just curious if their new coaching staff will give us a game. They seem to like the hire. We had ULM and NMSU beat 48-14 and 45-7 by halftime last season and I'm wondering if this will be a similar game. We played Savanna State a few years back and had a similar outing. All respect to Austin Peay though, it can't be easy climbing out of what appears to be a decade-long string of bad football.

JSUSoutherner
May 31st, 2016, 09:33 AM
I'm not worried about losing so much, just curious if their new coaching staff will give us a game. They seem to like the hire. We had ULM and NMSU beat 48-14 and 45-7 by halftime last season and I'm wondering if this will be a similar game. We played Savanna State a few years back and had a similar outing. All respect to Austin Peay though, it can't be easy climbing out of what appears to be a decade-long string of bad football.
I believe their new coach will be able to start the program in the right direction. But for them a 3 win season would be "the right direction". Perhaps some day they will crawl out of the ooze to be a competitive team, but it's going to be a lengthy process. Troy should be able to impose their will on the Governors and completely control the game.

TroyFootball05
May 31st, 2016, 09:35 AM
Dont expect troy to sign up for a butt whupping from JSU. Some team are just scared of others and for good reason.

Absolutely. It's the same reason Alabama and Auburn won't play us. I don't blame them. Though I wouldn't say scared is the right word for it. At the end of the day it's a business decision and its one where the cost-benefit ratio is too high. It doesn't benefit us much to win, but it's costs a lot if we lose so it's really only a good deal for you guys. I would love to see the matchup and I think it would generate excitement and would probably be a close game. This coming year we would probably be two evenly matched teams.

As an aside, much respect to Charleston Southern. We beat them pretty rough, but they are a lot better than they should when they played us. They must have been nervous or saving their energy for conference play. I was rooting for them they rest of the way.

TroyFootball05
May 31st, 2016, 09:42 AM

I have much respect for FCS football. Any team from the FCS Top 5 would likely win the Sun Belt, MAC, and possibly CUSA every year. Last year's NDSU and JSU would be Top 5 G5 teams in my opinion with Houston and Boise being better. I still regard APP/MICH from 2007 as my favorite non-Troy game ever. GS over Florida in 2013 was pretty fantastic as well.

BisonFan02
May 31st, 2016, 10:21 AM
I have much respect for FCS football. Any team from the FCS Top 5 would likely win the Sun Belt, MAC, and possibly CUSA every year. Last year's NDSU and JSU would be Top 5 G5 teams in my opinion with Houston and Boise being better. I still regard APP/MICH from 2007 as my favorite non-Troy game ever. GS over Florida in 2013 was pretty fantastic as well.

Tell that to Sunbeltbbs. xlolx

RootinFerDukes
May 31st, 2016, 11:31 AM

You are the first G5 fan on a message board that I've seen admit such a thing, as true as it is. I would just say that the top 10 could easily compete and beat the bottom 1/3 of fbs in at least 50% of matchups.
Most fbs ad start to avoid playing good Fcs teams because they're not confident they'll win.
It was surprising in hindsight that charleston southern didn't give you all a better game considering the year they had.
You all should have Austin peay beat by the end of the 1st quarter. It will take time to come out of the cellar and it isn't happening in their first game with a new coach.

Cocky
May 31st, 2016, 01:40 PM
Absolutely. It's the same reason Alabama and Auburn won't play us. I don't blame them. Though I wouldn't say scared is the right word for it. At the end of the day it's a business decision and its one where the cost-benefit ratio is too high. It doesn't benefit us much to win, but it's costs a lot if we lose so it's really only a good deal for you guys. I would love to see the matchup and I think it would generate excitement and would probably be a close game. This coming year we would probably be two evenly matched teams.

As an aside, much respect to Charleston Southern. We beat them pretty rough, but they are a lot better than they should when they played us. They must have been nervous or saving their energy for conference play. I was rooting for them they rest of the way.

There is a big difference, Troy wont beat UAT or Auburn while JSU would be the favorite v Troy.

TroyFootball05
May 31st, 2016, 02:14 PM
There is a big difference, Troy wont beat UAT or Auburn while JSU would be the favorite v Troy.

While that's likely true for now, it doesn't change the fact that it's high risk, low reward. In 2006 / 2007 Troy would have likely beaten both Auburn and Alabama. We happened to be really good, and they were down. That's what's happening now; your peak is overlapping our bottom end. Over the next 20 years, unless you guys hop to FBS, Troy will likely be favored much more often than they would be the underdogs. Neal Brown / Vic Koenning are doing a great job at Troy and that trend is likely to continue.