15 N. Dakota
16 Montana
17 McNeese St
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois
20 Villanova

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 27th, 2016, 09:37 PM
I can't believe there's not a PL team. I would have bet, and lost, that Colgate would have been around Top 15 given what they return from last year's team.

JSUSoutherner
May 27th, 2016, 09:41 PM
SHSU at number 2? What?

MR. CHICKEN
May 28th, 2016, 07:02 AM
I can't believe there's not a PL team. I would have bet, and lost, that Colgate would have been around Top 15 given what they return from last year's team.

....OWN-LAH TOP 20.....GOTTAH BE IN DUH NEXT FIVE..........ALONG WHIFF TIE-BREAKER....MV/CAA...............RAWAK!

Cocky
May 28th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Teams who didnt make it but might be there soon
Portland St
Colgate
EKU
Harvard
CAU
Liberty
Montana St
UNH

dewey
May 28th, 2016, 07:58 AM
Portland St
Colgate
EKU
Harvard
CAU
Liberty
Montana St
UNH

I would also add Youngstown State to that list.

Dewey

clenz
May 28th, 2016, 08:47 AM

Dewey

Why?

SU DOG
May 28th, 2016, 08:53 AM
Portland St
Colgate
EKU
Harvard
CAU
Liberty
Montana St
UNH

I think that Samford has at least a good chance to make that list - barring injuries and usual disclaimers.

POD Knows
May 28th, 2016, 09:12 AM
From @AthlonSports:
Athlon Sports Preseason Top 20:
1 NDSU
2 SHSU
3 UNI
4 Richmond
5 J'ville St
6 Charleston S'thern
7 Chattanooga
8 SDSU
9 Coastal Carolina
10 The Citadel
11 Illinois St
12 Eastern Wash
13 W&M
14 JMU
15 N. Dakota
16 Montana
17 McNeese St
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois
20 Villanova

I would flip SHSU and UNI, but other than that who the hell knows

Twentysix
May 28th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Why?

If YSU fails to get past 6 wins this season and next, is bo pelini's career over?

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 28th, 2016, 09:53 AM

Dewey

YSU annually underachieves, will they do it again this year?

For me, until they prove they have the mental toughness to compete and stay at the top of the conference, they will always be a "paper tiger" team.

dewey
May 28th, 2016, 10:12 AM
YSU annually underachieves, will they do it again this year?

For me, until they prove they have the mental toughness to compete and stay at the top of the conference, they will always be a "paper tiger" team.

Looking at their schedule they should start 3-1 but games against Illinois State and South Dakota State could be the make or break games for them. I do agree that they have been perennial under achievers for a while.

Dewey

clenz
May 28th, 2016, 11:00 AM
YSU hasn't lost an OOC FCS game since about 08 because they play strictly NEC and PFL teams.

Every year it's the same story out of Youngstown. Get gaudy OOC record and then finish bottom half of the MVFC

No reason to expect different this year

BisonTru
May 28th, 2016, 11:10 AM
SHSU at number 2? What?

https://media.giphy.com/media/13cXHBqGdocB1K/giphy.gif

Did the Bearkats not lose anyone? I still don't think I'd rank them this high.

Nickels
May 28th, 2016, 12:00 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/13cXHBqGdocB1K/giphy.gif

Did the Bearkats not lose anyone? I still don't think I'd rank them this high.
We finally got rid of DC Collins. "Architect" of the "vaunted" 2013-2015 Kat Ds. That alone should move us up 10 spots, even if Sherrod turns out to be mediocre.

Cocky
May 28th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I think that Samford has at least a good chance to make that list - barring injuries and usual disclaimers.
Probably do, my list was the first one which came to me. I try not to research too many things.

centennial
May 28th, 2016, 01:04 PM
2 SHSU
15 N. Dakota
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois

I am not sure I agree with these. I guess we will see.

JSUSoutherner
May 28th, 2016, 08:29 PM
We finally got rid of DC Collins. "Architect" of the "vaunted" 2013-2015 Kat Ds. That alone should move us up 10 spots, even if Sherrod turns out to be mediocre.
So you guys replacing your DC will help you score more than 10 points against us next time, right?:D

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't have a problem with SHSU state that high but not until I see them in action this fall to see if they really do deserve the ranking. Putting them above Richmond or UNI, in my opinion, is quite a stretch at this point.

Although I will say that based off my glance at last season's depth chart it doesn't appear that you guys lost very many starters. But we shall see how it goes.

Nickels
May 28th, 2016, 09:50 PM
So you guys replacing your DC will help you score more than 10 points against us next time, right?:D

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't have a problem with SHSU state that high but not until I see them in action this fall to see if they really do deserve the ranking. Putting them above Richmond or UNI, in my opinion, is quite a stretch at this point.

Although I will say that based off my glance at last season's depth chart it doesn't appear that you guys lost very many starters. But we shall see how it goes.
Put us dead ass last. We really don't care. We'll be there in late December and see where it goes from there.

I could see us being ranked this high at the end of the season simply because we a have a cupcake OOC schedule, the conference doesn't look all that strong, we have a good chance of running the table and the rest of the FCS could be very competitive and great teams can pick up a couple of losses. We really won't know what this teams made of until playoffs.

IMO with the expansion of the playoffs, rankings became a lot less meaningful.

BisonTru
May 29th, 2016, 12:07 AM

I'm guessing you're leaving out JSU to not sound like a homer. So, I'll do it. JSU should be firmly above SHSU in the preseason poll. That game was over in 5 minutes.

JSUSoutherner
May 29th, 2016, 01:49 AM
I'm guessing you're leaving out JSU to not sound like a homer. So, I'll do it. JSU should be firmly above SHSU in the preseason poll. That game was over in 5 minutes.
I think above SHSU, yes. But 4 (behind Richmond, UNI, and NDSU) is as high as I would go with JSU's ranking right now. If that. At least until the season starts and we see how the defense does.

Cocky
May 29th, 2016, 07:02 AM
SHSU or JSU ranking isnt very important at this point. SHSU may very well be better than JSU, just look at the scores from our previous two games. One doesnt have much to do with the other.

FormerPokeCenter
May 29th, 2016, 07:43 AM
From @AthlonSports:
1 NDSU
2 SHSU
3 UNI
4 Richmond
5 J'ville St
6 Charleston S'thern
7 Chattanooga
8 SDSU
9 Coastal Carolina
10 The Citadel
11 Illinois St
12 Eastern Wash
13 W&M
14 JMU
15 N. Dakota
16 Montana
17 McNeese St
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois
20 Villanova

McNeese has a new QB, a decimated offensive line, a dominant defender currently in jail, a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new QB coach.

How do they get included in a top 20 listing????

penguinpower
May 29th, 2016, 09:48 AM
YSU hasn't lost an OOC FCS game since about 08 because they play strictly NEC and PFL teams.

Every year it's the same story out of Youngstown. Get gaudy OOC record and then finish bottom half of the MVFC

No reason to expect different this year

Same thing goes with UNI getting in the playoffs. They get in every year (even when they may not necessarily deserve it) and they never close the deal.

clenz
May 29th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Same thing goes with UNI getting in the playoffs. They get in every year (even when they may not necessarily deserve it) and they never close the deal.

Out of UNIs 17 or 18 playoff trips all but 2 or 3 came from the autobid/shared titles.

Good try

melloware13
May 29th, 2016, 11:27 AM
2 SHSU
15 N. Dakota
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois

I am not sure I agree with these. I guess we will see.

Tigers should be towards front of CAA this year, as much as it pains me to say it.

McNeese72
May 31st, 2016, 08:11 AM
McNeese has a new QB, a decimated offensive line, a dominant defender currently in jail, a new head coach, a new offensive coordinator and a new QB coach.

How do they get included in a top 20 listing????

Beat me to it, Jay. What Jay said!!! McNeese shouldn't be ranked at all right now. Too many questions coming into this season. Oh, and Jay forgot to mention a new Defensive Coordinator who came in from South Carolina State.

Doc

AmsterBison
May 31st, 2016, 10:59 AM
Beat me to it, Jay. What Jay said!!! McNeese shouldn't be ranked at all right now. Too many questions coming into this season. Oh, and Jay forgot to mention a new Defensive Coordinator who came in from South Carolina State.

Doc

Instead of building expensive flood protection, Fargo should just contract with McNeese fans. I estimate you guys could completely encircle Fargo with a sandbag wall in four or five hours. :)

McNeese72
May 31st, 2016, 12:12 PM
Instead of building expensive flood protection, Fargo should just contract with McNeese fans. I estimate you guys could completely encircle Fargo with a sandbag wall in four or five hours. :)

Go check it out. There is nothing that Jay or I said that is not true!!!

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2016, 12:21 PM
From @AthlonSports:
1 NDSU
2 SHSU
3 UNI
4 Richmond
5 J'ville St
6 Charleston S'thern
7 Chattanooga
8 SDSU
9 Coastal Carolina
10 The Citadel
11 Illinois St
12 Eastern Wash
13 W&M
14 JMU
15 N. Dakota
16 Montana
17 McNeese St
18 Towson
19 W. Illinois
20 Villanova

xconfusedx

They have a really funny way of spelling "Colgate"

Gangtackle11
May 31st, 2016, 12:39 PM
I agree that Colgate should be in there somewhere.

They have a good squad coming back.

Nickels
May 31st, 2016, 12:42 PM
xconfusedx

They have a really funny way of spelling "Colgate"
Colgate wasn't a top 20 team last year despite being in the playoffs. That cute little league won't get acknowledgement until they prove it when it counts.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 31st, 2016, 12:54 PM
Colgate wasn't a top 20 team last year despite being in the playoffs. That cute little league won't get acknowledgement until they prove it when it counts.

Considering they beat No. 14 in the playoffs at their place, and "only" lost to Athlon's preseason No. 2 team in the nation...

MR. CHICKEN
May 31st, 2016, 12:56 PM

....COLGATE FINISHED 13TH FINAL AGS POLL.........13TH FINAL COACHES POLL.......17TH....FINAL STATS POLL (FORMERLY TSN)..........BRAWK!

PAllen
May 31st, 2016, 01:02 PM
...who the hell knows

Ding ding ding. I'll worry about the pissing contest once a few folks have actually played some games.

Daytripper
May 31st, 2016, 01:37 PM

I can't argue with you based on last year's playoff game. We do have a lot of players coming back and, as Nickels pointed out, a new DC who can't (I hope) be any worse than Collins. Those returning players should have that JSU game firmly planted in the brain as motivation for this year. As always, preseason polls are a crap-shoot.

UNIFanSince1983
May 31st, 2016, 01:42 PM
UNI as always is overrated.

msupokes1
May 31st, 2016, 03:27 PM

14 years since last playoff win. At some point the guys on here will realize it is not sandbagging when you are speaking the truth.

IBleedYellow
May 31st, 2016, 03:28 PM
14 years since last playoff win. At some point the guys on here will realize it is not sandbagging when you are speaking the truth.

I'm starting to think you guys don't actually sandbag.

Verdict's still out, though.

Nickels
May 31st, 2016, 07:32 PM
Colgate was the least athletic team I've ever seen come to Bowers in the playoffs. They wouldn't beat half of the SLC much less the BSC and MVC. Unless they've improved leaps and bounds, I don't see it.

UpstateBison
May 31st, 2016, 07:43 PM
The only AGS poll that matters will be released on January 9, 2017. However, this is very entertaining. xdrunkyx

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 31st, 2016, 08:41 PM
Tigers should be towards front of CAA this year, as much as it pains me to say it.

Agreed. Having Towson there actually shows the publication did some homework. The Tigers will be in the CAA mux.

Casey_Orourke
May 31st, 2016, 08:51 PM
Portland St
Colgate
EKU
Harvard
CAU
Liberty
Montana St
UNH

Portland State needs to prove that last year wasn't a fluke, but a team ready to make a name and impact on the FCS scene. Our real test will be the second and third games of the year against San Jose State and Washington, both of which played in post season bowl games.

LUHawker
June 1st, 2016, 10:05 AM
Colgate was the least athletic team I've ever seen come to Bowers in the playoffs. They wouldn't beat half of the SLC much less the BSC and MVC. Unless they've improved leaps and bounds, I don't see it.
Not sure how you define "athletic", but pretty sure it was a very good football team. I think its important to remember that traveling and winning on the road in the playoffs is very difficult week after week. Colgate's visit to SHSU was the third week in a row on the road after dispensing with two solid CAA teams. This road warrior issue should not be summarily dismissed.

Gater
June 1st, 2016, 10:25 AM
Nickels, I wouldn't disagree with you based on that game. As LUHawker pointed out, I think being on the road in the playoffs three weeks in a row (and also the game being moved up the night before the game) didn't help. Colgate was very tentative on both sides of the ball for the first time since early in the season. That being said, every playoff game from the quarterfinals on was decided by at least 10 points. The average score of those games was 43-18, so not may of the final eight teams went out on a high note.

With 20 starters coming back (and the team now having four years of scholarship classes), it's hard to imagine Colgate being ranked very far out of the top 20. The formerly Red Raiders start at Syracuse, Yale, and Richmond so they will have some chances to work their way into the polls early.

Mayville Bison
June 1st, 2016, 11:40 AM
What's everyone's view on transitioning teams being in the polls? I personally don't like the Ivy's and SWAC's being in the polls, but that's a completely different argument.

RootinFerDukes
June 1st, 2016, 12:14 PM

Do you define the front as the top half?

BisonTru
June 1st, 2016, 12:44 PM
What's everyone's view on transitioning teams being in the polls? I personally don't like the Ivy's and SWAC's being in the polls, but that's a completely different argument.

Here's the AGS poll rule.

The rule for the AGS Poll is really kept pretty bare bones. If the team in question is eligible for EITHER their conference championship or the playoffs they are deemed eligible for the AGS Poll.

There's a Coastal thread a little farther down that asked the same question. The general consensus is that playing with more than 63 scholarships should put you ineligible.

Mayville Bison
June 1st, 2016, 02:10 PM
Here's the AGS poll rule.

There's a Coastal thread a little farther down that asked the same question. The general consensus is that playing with more than 63 scholarships should put you ineligible.

Missed that one, thanks!

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2016, 02:15 PM
Not sure how you define "athletic", but pretty sure it was a very good football team. I think its important to remember that traveling and winning on the road in the playoffs is very difficult week after week. Colgate's visit to SHSU was the third week in a row on the road after dispensing with two solid CAA teams. This road warrior issue should not be summarily dismissed.

A second week in a row is tough, a third is pretty brutal. I know everyone always likes to the game they saw and say "this is what team x is!" and it is really a misguided, dumb effort if you ask me. For instance, SHSU wasn't as bad as JSU made them look that day in the playoffs. Most of us know that. If Colgate, in turn, also had a bad day the week before against the same team then it also does not mean Colgate is as bad as they might have looked that day.

Colgate was a good team last year and I think their final ranking was pretty spot on. I don't know what they will be or can be this year as I haven't looked into what they have so much.

ursus arctos horribilis
June 1st, 2016, 02:18 PM
Nickels, I wouldn't disagree with you based on that game. As LUHawker pointed out, I think being on the road in the playoffs three weeks in a row (and also the game being moved up the night before the game) didn't help. Colgate was very tentative on both sides of the ball for the first time since early in the season. That being said, every playoff game from the quarterfinals on was decided by at least 10 points. The average score of those games was 43-18, so not may of the final eight teams went out on a high note.

With 20 starters coming back (and the team now having four years of scholarship classes), it's hard to imagine Colgate being ranked very far out of the top 20. The formerly Red Raiders start at Syracuse, Yale, and Richmond so they will have some chances to work their way into the polls early.

Thanks for giving me a jump start on the Colgate info.!

BisonTru
June 1st, 2016, 02:24 PM
A second week in a row is tough, a third is pretty brutal. I know everyone always likes to the game they saw and say "this is what team x is!" and it is really a misguided, dumb effort if you ask me. For instance, SHSU wasn't as bad as JSU made them look that day in the playoffs. Most of us know that. If Colgate, in turn, also had a bad day the week before against the same team then it also does not mean Colgate is as bad as they might have looked that day.

Colgate was a good team last year and I think their final ranking was pretty spot on. I don't know what they will be or can be this year as I haven't looked into what they have so much.

JMHO, but that McNeese quarter pod was by far the weakest in the tournament. I think JSU was going to expose whatever team came through there.

- - - Updated - - -

JMHO, but that McNeese quarter pod was by far the weakest in the tournament. I think JSU was going to expose whatever team came through there.

Hanca
June 2nd, 2016, 11:09 AM
Really feel Richmond may be over ranked. 2 new coordinators, NO experience at running back and questions on special teams, which sadly, did not lose its coordinator

BisonTru
June 2nd, 2016, 11:27 AM
Really feel Richmond may be over ranked. 2 new coordinators, NO experience at running back and questions on special teams, which sadly, did not lose its coordinator

What happened to their coordinators? Did they get hired away or fired?

Hanca
June 2nd, 2016, 12:34 PM
What happened to their coordinators? Did they get hired away or fired?

Oc Fischer hired as Head coach at western Ill and, Bizarrely, DC Trott hire to be DC at JMU