PDA

View Full Version : Delaware gets Notre Dame transfer

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2006, 02:01 PM
and some badly needed defensive line help...

Ronald Talley, a part-time starting defensive end on the football team at Notre Dame in 2005 and 2006, is transferring to the University of Delaware, he said today.

Talley, 20, should be with the Blue Hens in spring practice and will have two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2007 season. His addition shores up a position where Delaware was plagued by injuries during its 5-6 2006 season and continues to have depth problems.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS07/61219025

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 02:09 PM
a few years back the griz got a ND transfer. Ronnie Rodamer, a receiver...huge bust, actually quit the team.

bluehenbillk
December 19th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Christmas comes early, granted Notre Dame doesn't have a stellar defense but we need major help on the DL.

89Hen
December 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Hopefully good news and hopefully does better than Bible did.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2006, 02:14 PM
a few years back the griz got a ND transfer. Ronnie Rodamer, a receiver...huge bust, actually quit the team.

AFIK, this will only be our 2nd transfer from Notre Dame - Garon Bible came for the 2004 season and was actually pretty good. Hopefully we go 2 for 2 from the Irish. :nod:

GannonFan
December 19th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Hopefully good news and hopefully does better than Bible did.

Gee, a Bible-basher??? I'm sure that will surprise Capy! ;)

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

If you had seen the sad state of the UD defensive line last year... you would understand how BADLY the Hens were undermanned at that position. Prior to the start of the season UD had lost three of their top four DEs and they lost their fourth DE (and their best defensive player) in the third game of the season. If the Hens can shore up the DL... '07 could be a big rebound year as the offense was pretty good last year and returns 10 of 11 starters.

Any DL who can play at ND... will be a major talent addition to the UD defensive front.

Now we need to get one more... ;)

89Hen
December 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Gee, a Bible-basher??? I'm sure that will surprise Capy! ;)
xlolx Bible was fine, but he wasn't a difference-maker IMO. He and Burnell from VT didn't live up to expectations. Were they the same year? 2002?

bandl
December 19th, 2006, 02:20 PM
and some badly needed defensive line help...

Ronald Talley, a part-time starting defensive end on the football team at Notre Dame in 2005 and 2006, is transferring to the University of Delaware, he said today.

Talley, 20, should be with the Blue Hens in spring practice and will have two years of eligibility remaining beginning with the 2007 season. His addition shores up a position where Delaware was plagued by injuries during its 5-6 2006 season and continues to have depth problems.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061219/SPORTS07/61219025
DAMMIT....
now we definitely gotta do something about keeping Omar down...:p

Mountaineer
December 19th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Delaware = Transfer U. ESPN is gonna have a field day!! :thumbsup: :p

Seriously though, congrats on the pick-up. :nod:

SunCoastBlueHen
December 19th, 2006, 02:23 PM

I would bet the WR transfer was buried somewhere down on the depth chart. Those guys often turn out to be busts.

Talley actually started games as a sophomore for ND. A guy that finds his way into the starting lineup at a major football power will rarely be a bust upon transferring.

This is a huge pick-up for the Hens and is a big step towards shoring up what was a very porous defense.

89Hen
December 19th, 2006, 02:24 PM
the offense was pretty good last year and returns 10 of 11 starters.
Yeah, but that 11th guy was pretty darn good. :D

Blue Hen Nation
December 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
xlolx Bible was fine, but he wasn't a difference-maker IMO. He and Burnell from VT didn't live up to expectations. Were they the same year? 2002?

Hopefully the first in a handful of select D transfers.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 02:30 PM
I would bet the WR transfer was buried somewhere down on the depth chart. Those guys often turn out to be busts.

Talley actually started games as a sophomore for ND. A guy that finds his way into the starting lineup at a major football power will rarely be a bust upon transferring.

This is a huge pick-up for the Hens and is a big step towards shoring up what was a very porous defense.

yeah, he was a big guy who was the backup for stovall at the time, he wanted playing time. i also think he had some discipline issues.

Cobblestone
December 19th, 2006, 02:36 PM
Congrats to Delaware. I hope you guys have better luck with this transfer than we've had with a few of ours. We once had a QB who transferred from Nebraska; what a bust. Then we had another QB who transferred to us from Kentucky. He had lost his starting job to a guy named Tim Couch. It didn't take long to see why he lost that starting job.

DinoDex200
December 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM
Good job by this kid to finally step into a team where he'll face tough competition every week. :)

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Good job by this kid to finally step into a team where he'll face tough competition every week. :)

too true. also cuff graduated didnt he?

HENJOHN
December 19th, 2006, 02:42 PM
This guy is a proven starter not some backup who languished on the bench, hence our excitement. At 6-4,265 and with Two years left it will help what was the worst Defense we have had in many years.

HENJOHN
December 19th, 2006, 02:43 PM

No, Omar has One year left still.............:)

GannonFan
December 19th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Burnell was 2002 - Bible was 2004. I agree, Burnell didn't live up to expectations but that was partly our fault - the expectations were so huge that no one could have met them. He was decent, not great, and that's what he was. Bible was a little the same way although he came with less hype. He was a good addition to the defensive backfield and was an upgrade over what we had, but he didn't win games on his own. I think people tend to overrate the Shawn Johnson impact and view transfers through that prism - no doubt Johnson was a flat out stud and it'll be tough for anybody to get someone of that caliber, if only because all-conference players rarely transfer. But UD's defense even without Johnson was solid in 2003 - he just made them a little better.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM
No, Omar has One year left still.............:)

Yup, the offense is significantly different without Cuff in there, as he was hurt for more than half the year this past year and UD still put up 26 points a game. For reference, as good as Baylark was, especially in the playoffs, he's still not as good as Cuff. Should be nice getting him to play healthy for a whole year with everything else the offense brings back.

SunCoastBlueHen
December 19th, 2006, 02:46 PM

Omar is back.

The offense looks awfully good on paper for next year and if we can come up with enough patches to bring the defense up to just average, the Hens could have a playoff caliber team for next year. Here's hoping, anyway.

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Omar is back.

The offense looks awfully good on paper for next year and if we can come up with enough patches to bring the defense up to just average, the Hens could have a playoff caliber team for next year. Here's hoping, anyway.

what do all of you hen fans expect from your team? playoffs?

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2006, 02:52 PM
If the defense can improve... just to average... playoffs are a definate possibility.

GannonFan
December 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Offense is more than good enough to make the playoffs, defense, however, was not. Getting Talley here is step 1, but we'll have to see what other additions are brought in (transfers as well as freshmen) before we see if the defense can hold up their end. Not making the playoffs with the offense we'll have would be disappointing, though.

89Hen
December 19th, 2006, 03:51 PM
As the others have said, if we can improve just a little on defense, we hope the Hens are in the playoff hunt. @Towson, @UNH and @ Navy are the big road tests (TU has beaten the Hens two years running now). We get Northeastern at home, which believe or not is VERY important considering the Hens haven't won at NU since something like 1999. :eek:

dennisdent
December 19th, 2006, 04:09 PM
Congrats:) ! I remember a few years back when UMass had a Notre Dame Linebacker transfer in. By the end of the season I wish it had been Rudy: at least he wouldn't have been a waste of a scholarship...:bawling:

ChickenMan
December 19th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Congrats:) ! I remember a few years back when UMass had a Notre Dame Linebacker transfer in. By the end of the season I wish it had been Rudy: at least he wouldn't have been a waste of a scholarship...:bawling:

Transfers are like HS recruits... some are great... some are OK and some are busts... but I'd say UMass has had more than their fair share (and more than UD) of transfers who have been key contributors.

Col Hogan
December 19th, 2006, 07:26 PM
Congrats on a quality BCS transfer...but beware...there are people out there who will bash you for trying to build a good team and accuse you of vile things... witness a quote from last weeks postings from an unnamed person who obviously does not understand college football. ("they dont trust their recruiting? The should be in the big east with their team...They are a joke, and just cop out of coaching..."

I always enjoyed the UMass/Delaware competition...and look forward to more in the future in the CAA!

Tubby Raymond
December 19th, 2006, 07:44 PM

There is a long list of Blue Hen fans who dramatically overated the potential of this years team. Few predicted less than 8-3, so be careful what they tell you about next season:nono:

BigApp
December 19th, 2006, 09:59 PM
more ammo for Rod Gilmore!

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 10:00 PM
more ammo for Rod Gilmore!

hes my hero:o xlolx :smiley_wi

JoltinJoe
December 20th, 2006, 06:01 AM
I relish the irony of the Delaware fans cheering for Talley.:)

ChickenMan
December 20th, 2006, 07:33 AM

:pumpuke:

BlueHen86
December 20th, 2006, 07:46 AM
We are going to call him by his first name.;)

henfan
December 20th, 2006, 08:42 AM

xlolx :thumbsup:

Actually, there's a place in northern Delaware called Talleyville, so we Hens are preconditioned to not dispise all things Talley.

89Hen
December 20th, 2006, 02:18 PM
Actually, there's a place in northern Delaware called Talleyville, so we Hens are preconditioned to not dispise all things Talley.
Like me. :D

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2006, 07:41 PM
There is a long list of Blue Hen fans who dramatically overated the potential of this years team. Few predicted less than 8-3, so be careful what they tell you about next season:nono:

:eyebrow: Tubby, those predictions were not that far off base. 8-3 or 9-2 would have been very possible without the injuries.

UD finished 5-6. Villanova loss was by 1, Northeastern by 3, New Hampshire by 3, Albany by 7.

Easy math. Win three of those close games and we go 8-3.

Think we could have gotten one stop with the defensive players we had before the injuries? And, later on, Cuff?

The only game we didn't stand a chance in was JMU.

Give us back those injured players and we would have had a different season. Certainly not a championship caliber team, but a playoff team.

We will be back next year.

Tubby Raymond
December 20th, 2006, 09:14 PM
:eyebrow: Tubby, those predictions were not that far off base. 8-3 or 9-2 would have been very possible without the injuries.

UD finished 5-6. Villanova loss was by 1, Northeastern by 3, New Hampshire by 3, Albany by 7.

Easy math. Win three of those close games and we go 8-3.

Think we could have gotten one stop with the defensive players we had before the injuries? And, later on, Cuff?

The only game we didn't stand a chance in was JMU.

Give us back those injured players and we would have had a different season. Certainly not a championship caliber team, but a playoff team.

We will be back next year.

If toads had wings they wouldn't bump thier ass... or something like that.

Coulda, woulda shoulda, the 2006 version of the Hens was overated by most, if not all of the fans and those of you that aren't willing to admit it are just....chicken:smiley_wi

A one point loss, is still a loss and good teams win close games. Bad teams are 5-6:nod: Lots of room between 5-6 and 8-3:bang:

YoUDeeMan
December 20th, 2006, 09:50 PM
If toads had wings they wouldn't bump thier ass... or something like that.

Coulda, woulda shoulda, the 2006 version of the Hens was overated by most, if not all of the fans and those of you that aren't willing to admit it are just....chicken:smiley_wi

A one point loss, is still a loss and good teams win close games. Bad teams are 5-6:nod: Lots of room between 5-6 and 8-3:bang:

First of all, if you believe all 5-6 teams are "bad" teams, and all 8-3 teams are "good" teams then it is a good thing you are not coaching. :nod:

My post was not that UD was a good team this year. My post said that people who predicted an 8-3 record weren't counting on the very large number of injuries. The early team line up - when people started predicting the team's record - was a better team than the one which actually took the field.

As you said...coulda, woulda, shoulda. But your comments are just as useless. Using your logic, let's say some people predicted App St to repeat. But, if they lost their top 4 DE's, most of their secondary, and their starting running back it is doubtful they would have repeated. After they didn't win, what would be the use or accuracy of posting that some people overated their chances at the begining of the year?

ChickenMan
December 21st, 2006, 07:56 AM
It was amazing that with the 'worst' defense I have EVER seen at UD... the Hens were in every game (other than JMU) with a chance to win. If the defense can improve and that's a big IF... UD has a chance to make a significant turnaround in '07.

bluehenbillk
December 21st, 2006, 07:57 AM
Yea injuries would help too.

Cluck U wins the Signature of the Year award.

BlueHen86
December 21st, 2006, 10:20 AM
First of all, if you believe all 5-6 teams are "bad" teams, and all 8-3 teams are "good" teams then it is a good thing you are not coaching. :nod:

My post was not that UD was a good team this year. My post said that people who predicted an 8-3 record weren't counting on the very large number of injuries. The early team line up - when people started predicting the team's record - was a better team than the one which actually took the field.

As you said...coulda, woulda, shoulda. But your comments are just as useless. Using your logic, let's say some people predicted App St to repeat. But, if they lost their top 4 DE's, most of their secondary, and their starting running back it is doubtful they would have repeated. After they didn't win, what would be the use or accuracy of posting that some people overated their chances at the begining of the year?
Good post.:thumbsup:
Agree 100%:nod:

OhioHen
December 21st, 2006, 10:38 AM
Delaware = Transfer U. ESPN is gonna have a field day!! :thumbsup: :p

As UD fans, we all hope ESPN is given the opportunity talk about the transfers for four consecutive weeks!!! :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Tubby Raymond
December 21st, 2006, 06:11 PM

What's useless is your logic, if that's what you can call it.xidiotx

If you don't think that was bad 5-6 football team we watched in that stadium against TU/VU etc then you must have had your eyes closed.

The injuries hurt but what hurt worse was the absence of depth at so many crucial positions. That problem will not be solved this year even with the ND kid. Now I'm certain you are one of the 9-2 guys from last year and you will be equally wrong this year. Tough to have your nose rubbed in it:rolleyes: Admit you were wrong and move on:nono:

BlueHen86
December 21st, 2006, 08:08 PM

If you don't think that was bad 5-6 football team we watched in that stadium against TU/VU etc then you must have had your eyes closed.

The injuries hurt but what hurt worse was the absence of depth at so many crucial positions. That problem will not be solved this year even with the ND kid. Now I'm certain you are one of the 9-2 guys from last year and you will be equally wrong this year. Tough to have your nose rubbed in it:rolleyes: Admit you were wrong and move on:nono:
Tubby,

Prior to the season I had the Hens going 7-4 or 8-3 last year. If I knew how badly they would be hurt I would have lowered my expectations.

Obviously injuries are part of the game, but if the Hens are lucky and stay healthy, they could be a good team next year.

henfan
December 22nd, 2006, 08:11 AM
Depth & inexperience was a huge part of the problem with the '05 & '06 defenses... caused in large part by injuries. If you don't think Lady Luck (particularly with injuries) plays a huge role in a team's run at a championship, you haven't been watching sports for very long.

89Hen
December 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

Ugh, this is why I don't go to gohens.net anymore. If you don't think VU and TU were decent teams we watched in that stadium then you must have had your eyes closed. :nonono2:

YoUDeeMan
December 22nd, 2006, 01:49 PM

TubFullOfDoomAndGloom,

Delaware didn't have any depth because a lot of people on the two-deep were injured. :bang: They had some depth before those injuries. There is a huge drop off at this level when you have to go straight to true freshman and 3rd string players. It snowballs and is even worse when those players have to play out of their normal postion.

Even with the injuries, the team was in every game but one. So, the winning projections were not that far off.

It is nice that you have already started bashing the 2007 Hens. Good to have fans such as you! If you hurry, there is still time to dress up as Santa and boo the B-ball teams. :hurray:

Tubby Raymond
December 24th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Ugh, this is why I don't go to gohens.net anymore. If you don't think VU and TU were decent teams we watched in that stadium then you must have had your eyes closed. :nonono2:

Should UD be losing top the likes of TU and Albany? If you don't have a problem with that then your exectations are way too low, but I digress.

My eyes were open to the fact that although the injuries hurt, never didn't admit that, there was nobody to play behind the injured players. The drop off was dramatic, too dramatic to have predicted that even with the typical attrition that occurs during the course of the season we would have been 9-2.

I'm guessing the reason you don't post on gohens.net anymore is because of how hard it is for you to tolerate dissenting opinions.

And to henfan, we aren't talking about a championship, we are talking about the overblown expectations that the vast majority of UD fans had for the team this past season. The injuries hurt but what was worse was the absence of either experience or talent behind the injured players.

Don't know how many times I need to reiterate the same point :bang:

All teams have injuries. What has historically separated the great IAA teams from the 5-6 teams has been the up front talent and the marginal dropoff when they get dinged.

Tubby Raymond
December 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM
TubFullOfDoomAndGloom,

Delaware didn't have any depth because a lot of people on the two-deep were injured. :bang: They had some depth before those injuries. There is a huge drop off at this level when you have to go straight to true freshman and 3rd string players. It snowballs and is even worse when those players have to play out of their normal postion.

Even with the injuries, the team was in every game but one. So, the winning projections were not that far off.

It is nice that you have already started bashing the 2007 Hens. Good to have fans such as you! If you hurry, there is still time to dress up as Santa and boo the B-ball teams. :hurray:

Since it is almost Christmas, I'll play the GRINCH:nod:

They did not have any depth prior to the injuries, that was exactly the problem. As a prime example of my point I'll offer you Nat Bell. A starter for the last 4/5 games who had significant playing. In a year where we have some depth this guy doesn't see a starting snap except a mercy one for being on the team for his career. There is a reason this kid didn't play until this season, he works hard but the ain't very talented. Can't run and don't tackle.

Although some of the scores were close, UD was significantly outplayed by most of the teams they lost too, especially the likes of Albany. Take a look at yardage and time of possession, the type of stats that give you a glimpse of the "inner game".

We will still not have any depth in 2007 which means we will lose games the same way we did in 2006, by a few points but feeling like we got our asses handed to us.

Who needs a Santa outfit to boo the b-ball team, even the cheerleaders boo them.:(

ChickenMan
December 24th, 2006, 03:52 PM
And to henfan, we aren't talking about a championship, we are talking about the overblown expectations that the vast majority of UD fans had for the team this past season. The injuries hurt but what was worse was the absence of either experience or talent behind the injured players.

Don't know how many times I need to reiterate the same point :bang:

All teams have injuries. What has historically separated the great IAA teams from the 5-6 teams has been the up front talent and the marginal dropoff when they get dinged.

UD was a medoicre to bad team last year and going into the season most rational Hen fans knew even without injuries there were serious questions relative to the quality of the defenese... particularly the DL. If those question had been answered in a postive manner... 8-3 would certainly have been a reasonable prediction... but when an already thin DL lost three DE's Purkey, Washington, Burns before fall practice and then only had Marcorelle (their top defensive player) for 2 1/2 games and another DE... Southen for just one game it was little wonder that there was a serious lack of depth on the DL. That's UD' top five DEs who played a combined total of only 3 1/2 games. I doubt that many FCS programs could lose their top five DEs and not have serious problems relative to a lack of depth.

Unfortunately many those same questions relative to the defense remain going into the '07 season and once again IF there are some positive answers... an 8-3 season and a shot at the playoffs is certainly possible.