PDA

View Full Version : Athlon's Top 10 FCS Prospects To Watch For In 2017 Draft

SU DOG
May 17th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Looks like UTC is well represented.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/top-fcs-2017-nfl-draft-prospects-watch

RichH2
May 17th, 2016, 10:29 AM
Pretty good list. No doubt others can come up with at least 10 more that could fit here.

BisonFan02
May 17th, 2016, 10:55 AM
Gustafson making the top 10 list is kinda silly....there has to be some that are better.

centennial
May 17th, 2016, 11:34 AM
Gustafson making the top 10 list is kinda silly....there has to be some that are better.
The guy might not be number 1 qb for the griz in the long run. Beating NDSU doesn't mean jack if you aren't consistent.

Silenoz
May 17th, 2016, 12:01 PM
12 TDs and 9 ints? Good god. I knew some of the games were trainwreck but not to that degree...

ALPHAGRIZ1
May 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Agreed but the NFL doesnt always go for talent they go for size. Gustafson has a great arm and nothing else

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Just my two cents but I would have removed Levin, Rivers, and Gustafson. Rivers is solid and I would have put just outside the top 10 but the other two aren't in my top 30 even at this point.

If it were me picking 10 I would say the following

OT Julie'n Davenport, Bucknell
DE Keionta Davis, Chattanooga
LB Nick DeLuca, North Dakota State
OG Jessamen Dunker, Tennessee State
RB Kade Harrington, Lamar
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon, Villanova
WR Cooper Kupp, Eastern Washington
OT Javarius Leamon, South Carolina State
CB Taylor Reynolds, James Madison
TE Eric Saubert, Drake

Dunker and Davenport were the top two snubs by far.

A few names who are likely to be rated higher by NFL teams entering the fall that are lower by the media are Drake TE Eric Saubert, Campbell RB De'Shawn Jones, Coastal Carolina OL Sam Ekwonike, NDSU OT Landon Lechler, Portland State OG Cam Keizur, Villanova LB Austin Calitro, Illinois State OG Cameron Lee, Dartmouth S Charlie Miller, Jacksonville State WR Josh Barge, and Portland State CB Xavier Coleman.

I also think Furman S Trey Robinson, Illinois State WR Anthony Warrum, CCU RB De'Angelo Henderson, William & Mary RB Kendell Anderson, SIU LB Chase Allen, and YSU duo S Leroy Alexander and DE David Rivers are going to get strong looks.

I have several other names but they are my sleepers who I am not quite ready to put in the conversation because they were way too inconsistent.

dewey
May 17th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Just my two cents but I would have removed Levin, Rivers, and Gustafson. Rivers is solid and I would have put just outside the top 10 but the other two aren't in my top 30 even at this point.

DE LaMichael Fanning, Jacksonville State

A few names who are likely to be rated higher by NFL teams entering the fall that are lower by the media are Drake TE Eric Saubert, Campbell RB De'Shawn Jones, Coastal Carolina OL Sam Ekwonike, NDSU OT Landon Lechler, Portland State OG Cam Keizur, Villanova LB Austin Calitro, Illinois State OG Cameron Lee, Dartmouth S Charlie Miller, Jacksonville State WR Josh Barge, and Portland State CB Xavier Coleman.

I also think Furman S Trey Robinson, Illinois State WR Anthony Warrum, CCU RB De'Angelo Henderson, William & Mary RB Kendell Anderson, SIU LB Chase Allen, and YSU duo S Leroy Alexander and DE David Rivers are going to get strong looks.

I have several other names but they are my sleepers who I am not quite ready to put in the conversation because they were way too inconsistent.

NDSU OT Landon Lechler over OG Zack Johnson?

Dewey

Dawgs
May 17th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Definitely Southern Illinois University LB Chase Allen. He is 6'3", 240 lbs, and very athletic.

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Definitely Southern Illinois University LB Chase Allen. He is 6'3", 240 lbs, and very athletic.

Solid player. I think he was under the radar on All-America teams last year. I just got to watch his film not long ago and I was very impressed. He probably should have been on a 2nd or 3rd team list last year.

smallcollegefbfan
May 17th, 2016, 02:20 PM
NDSU OT Landon Lechler over OG Zack Johnson?

Dewey

Landon has the more ideal body type for the NFL and does not have a medical flag due to a major injury. I think Zack is the better college player but Landon is seen as the one with more upside. I don't have Landon rated as high as the NFL people I spoke with but I do think he will at least be a priority free agent unless he has a bad year.

Milktruck74
May 17th, 2016, 02:42 PM

DE LaMichael Fanning, Jacksonville State

Not a bad list, I think Levin will end up on somebody's roster...he is good enough, but I'd agree on him....However, there are many games to play between now and April.

BisonFan02
May 17th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Landon has the more ideal body type for the NFL and does not have a medical flag due to a major injury. I think Zack is the better college player but Landon is seen as the one with more upside. I don't have Landon rated as high as the NFL people I spoke with but I do think he will at least be a priority free agent unless he has a bad year.

I'm a broken record....but this is going to be key for Zack this year. He's snake bit....

Twentysix
May 17th, 2016, 07:44 PM
I bet NDSU has 2 more lineman in the NFL in the next 4 years. Who knows where I get that from. xthumbsupx

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 17th, 2016, 09:02 PM
I bet NDSU has 2 more lineman in the NFL in the next 4 years. Who knows where I get that from. xthumbsupx

IMO, Kuhnert is the best lineman right now. He is tough, strong and is nasty in the middle for the Bison.

Cocky
May 17th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Fanning can go ahead as a free agent, his appeal was denied according to the JSU site.

BisonTru
May 17th, 2016, 10:41 PM
Fanning can go ahead as a free agent, his appeal was denied according to the JSU site.

That sucks. He should be able to enter the supplemental draft, I think. Not sure if someone is willing to throw a pick for him.

Twentysix
May 18th, 2016, 02:03 AM
IMO, Kuhnert is the best lineman right now. He is tough, strong and is nasty in the middle for the Bison.

Yeah, he seems like a top choice (from NDSU) to me.