PDA

View Full Version : No Upgrades For Football, Delaware Hires Michigan's Rawak As Athletic Director

superman7515
May 13th, 2016, 11:07 AM
http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2016/05/13/michigans-rawak-blue-hens-first-woman-ad/84321836/

NEWARK -- Chrissi Rawak is expected to be introduced as the first female athletic director in University of Delaware history on Friday, The News Journal has learned.

Rawak will leave her post as University of Michigan executive associate AD/external relations & strategic initiatives to oversee a Blue Hen athletic program that has 21 Division I sports.

Delaware has announced a 3 p.m. Carpenter Center press conference to introduce a new athletic director but did not reveal who it would be.

As a female AD, Rawak will be a rarity. There were just 33 women athletic directors among the 353 NCAA Division I schools at the close of the 2014-15 school year, according to NCAA data.

Rawak, a 1992 Michigan graduate who was on the swim team there, has ties to incoming UD president Dennis Assanis, who was an engineering professor at Michigan from 1994-2011 before accepting a provost’s post at Stony Brook...

The Eagle's Cliff
May 13th, 2016, 11:14 AM
When a woman is AD, is the school required to have a Senior Men's Administrator?

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 11:24 AM
Final piece of the debacle that was the Dave Brandon administration at UM is now gone.

Nt sure many at Michigan are going to be too sad over this.

Mattymc727
May 13th, 2016, 01:44 PM
While Delaware tries to downgrade football, UNH continues to try and grow the program:

http://unhwildcats.com/news/2015/8/10/GEN_0810155827.aspx?path=general

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2016/2/25/tickets-athletics-announces-marketing-department-reorganization.aspx

Not to mention rumors of trying to renovate and expand the field house to overlook the new stadium.

superman7515
May 13th, 2016, 01:46 PM
While Delaware tries to downgrade football, UNH continues to try and grow the program:

http://unhwildcats.com/news/2015/8/10/GEN_0810155827.aspx?path=general

http://www.unhwildcats.com/news/2016/2/25/tickets-athletics-announces-marketing-department-reorganization.aspx

Not to mention rumors of trying to renovate and expand the field house to overlook the new stadium.

Get your own thread, Patriot League wannabe. xlolx

Mattymc727
May 13th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Get your own thread, Patriot League wannabe. xlolx

Come on super, nobody wants to hear the sad state of the crumbling UD football program....Why dont you start rooting for a team on the east coast that is actually trying to grow and #MakeFootballGreatAgain

BisonFan02
May 13th, 2016, 02:01 PM
Come on super, nobody wants to hear the sad state of the crumbling UD football program....Why dont you start rooting for a team on the east coast that is actually trying to grow and #MakeFootballGreatAgain

Stony Brook? :D

bluehenbillk
May 13th, 2016, 02:37 PM
You know what's funny is that as bad as Delaware was last year they really had little problems in dispatching UNH...

Ivytalk
May 13th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Does UD have any leads on a new men's hoops coach? Talk about dumpster fires.

centennial
May 13th, 2016, 04:23 PM
You know what's funny is that as bad as Delaware was last year they really had little problems in dispatching UNH...
http://s.quickmeme.com/img/77/779d77c5ae6109628456b72dab7f8ad224b77bf200889e4f10 ac4edb47fab2df.jpg

superman7515
May 13th, 2016, 06:41 PM
Does UD have any leads on a new men's hoops coach? Talk about dumpster fires.

Doesn't sound like it.

Rawak’s first assignment, however, will be to direct Delaware’s search for a new men’s basketball coach. Monte Ross was fired March 18 and the position has sat vacant three weeks longer than any other school that changed coaches this year.

One former CAA athletic director told The News Journal the delay, which has resulted in an inability to add recruits and the departure of present players, has made Delaware “a laughing stock.”

SENOREIDA
May 13th, 2016, 11:01 PM
Crash and burn time for Delaware. Such a shame, I don't think the Hens will recover anytime soon.

MR. CHICKEN
May 14th, 2016, 06:57 AM
......WHEN CHRISSI.....REALIZES...WHAT UH MESS.....AFFLETIC DEPT....IS IN.....HELL WILL HATH NO FURY...AS UH WOMAN SCORNED.........xshakefistx....RAWAK!

UNHWildcat18
May 14th, 2016, 07:40 AM

OOOOH HE GOT'EM, SEND THE AMBRELANCE

DFW HOYA
May 14th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Some mixed messages from the press conference (emphases added):

"We are constantly thinking about the right alignment for us, which conference we play in, who are our peer schools academically and athletically? I envision and dream about some fantastic rivalries that will bring people to the stadiums, to the arenas, that will celebrate those relationships and competitions. Everything is open right now. We’re going to consider with our athletic director where we want to be and define who we want to be...the first thing we need to be is the best within the [CAA]."

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/sports/college/ud/2016/05/13/michigans-rawak-blue-hens-first-woman-ad/84321836/

RichH2
May 14th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Some mixed messages from the press conference (emphases added):

"We are constantly thinking about the right alignment for us, which conference we play in, who are our peer schools academically and athletically? I envision and dream about some fantastic rivalries that will bring people to the stadiums, to the arenas, that will celebrate those relationships and competitions. Everything is open right now. We’re going to consider with our athletic director where we want to be and define who we want to be...the first thing we need to be is the best within the [CAA]."

I'm guessing that UD is not contemplating a move up :-).

Ivytalk
May 14th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I'm guessing that UD is not contemplating a move up :-).
Maybe a move over... To the Patriot League!:)

Lehigh Football Nation
May 14th, 2016, 12:02 PM

DAMMIT YOU BEAT ME TO IT :)

superman7515
May 14th, 2016, 01:52 PM

NEC, need to cut scholarships. Gonna swap straight up for Wagner.

centraljerseycat
May 14th, 2016, 02:08 PM
I do hope things turn around in Newark but I found it hysterical that the new president mentioned competing in basketball at Villanova's level. Trying beating us in football first.....

JimLU
May 14th, 2016, 02:22 PM
The idea of Delaware to the Patriot League is fascinating on a number levels. I've disliked the Blue Hens since they dominated the Middle Atlantic Conference and Bucknell during my childhood watching the Bison at Christy Mathewson in Lewisburg. The league included Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Temple, Gettsyburg, Delaware, and Rutgers in the 60's. Gettysburg left for DIII sometime in the 70's, Rutgers and Temple went big time, and The Hens went scholarship at the 1A-1AA split.

Most casual fans don't realize Delaware is a tremendous academic school, particularly in engineering (though I hate to admit it). They could easily navigate the academic band requirement. As a Lehigh Alum I'd love to see our blood feud rekindled. Permanently for all sports, but now on equal footing in recruiting. I even think the league would consider making a change or two (redshirting?) to get them.

I think it would be tremendous for the league and Delaware on many levels. But I gotta think their sports oriented alums would go ballistic.

JimLU
May 14th, 2016, 02:27 PM
I do hope things turn around in Newark but I found it hysterical that the new president mentioned competing in basketball at Villanova's level. Trying beating us in football first.....
Delaware regularly competitive with Villanova in basketball? Absurd. If the new president said that, he (or she?) doesn't have a clue on athletics.

RichH2
May 15th, 2016, 08:34 AM
The idea of Delaware to the Patriot League is fascinating on a number levels. I've disliked the Blue Hens since they dominated the Middle Atlantic Conference and Bucknell during my childhood watching the Bison at Christy Mathewson in Lewisburg. The league included Bucknell, Lehigh, Lafayette, Temple, Gettsyburg, Delaware, and Rutgers in the 60's. Gettysburg left for DIII sometime in the 70's, Rutgers and Temple went big time, and The Hens went scholarship at the 1A-1AA split.

Most casual fans don't realize Delaware is a tremendous academic school, particularly in engineering (though I hate to admit it). They could easily navigate the academic band requirement. As a Lehigh Alum I'd love to see our blood feud rekindled. Permanently for all sports, but now on equal footing in recruiting. I even think the league would consider making a change or two (redshirting?) to get them.

I think it would be tremendous for the league and Delaware on many levels. But I gotta think their sports oriented alums would go ballistic.

+1
Still hate Tubby from that era :). Agree UD would be great as a full member both athletically and academically. Possible?Perhaps. Not likely tho . PL has yet to establish itself as a schollie football conference. When we accomplish that,more likely that we may be more of a destination for a school like UD.

BucBisonAtLarge
May 15th, 2016, 08:30 PM
We need to shore up this PL hijack. Delaware has been one of Bucknell historic rivals, topped only by Temple, Gettysburg, Penn State, Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate. Welcome to the Patriot League.

BigHouseClosedEnd
May 15th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Wake me up when they replace Brock.

Go...gate
May 15th, 2016, 11:37 PM
+1
Still hate Tubby from that era :). Agree UD would be great as a full member both athletically and academically. Possible?Perhaps. Not likely tho . PL has yet to establish itself as a schollie football conference. When we accomplish that,more likely that we may be more of a destination for a school like UD.

We did reasonably well this past season. :)

So the All-Sports loop would be American, Annapolis, Boston University, Bucknell, Colgate, Delaware, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola (Baltimore) and West Point. Associate Members would be Fordham, Georgetown, MIT and Richmond. Not a bad geographic footprint, though I still contend that Loyola does not belong. I'd trade Loyola for Delaware in a microsecond.

PAllen
May 15th, 2016, 11:58 PM
We did reasonably well this last season. :)

So the All-Sports loop would be American, Annapolis, Boston University, Bucknell, Colgate, Delaware, Holy Cross, Lafayette, Lehigh, Loyola (Baltimore) and West Point. Associate Members would be Fordham, Georgetown, MIT and Richmond. Not a bad geographic footprint, though I still contend that Loyola does not belong. I'd trade Loyola for Delaware in a microsecond.

None of American, Loyola and BU belong, but those ships have sailed. Fordham should be an all-sport member, but that ship has sailed too. I'd take UD over any of those first three any day.

bison137
May 16th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Most casual fans don't realize Delaware is a tremendous academic school, particularly in engineering (though I hate to admit it). They could easily navigate the academic band requirement.

Delaware's average SAT score is well below those of the rest of the PL, even Fordham. A significant number of their current players would not have been admissible with the AI in place.

Go...gate
May 16th, 2016, 01:11 AM
None of American, Loyola and BU belong, but those ships have sailed. Fordham should be an all-sport member, but that ship has sailed too. I'd take UD over any of those first three any day.

I think American and BU are much closer to the rest of the PL than Loyola, which is a total outlier. It is simply not that good a school.

Go...gate
May 16th, 2016, 01:17 AM
Delaware's average SAT score is well below those of the rest of the PL, even Fordham. A significant number of their current players would not have been admissible with the AI in place.

I must admit a good deal of skepticism about the SAT in general, and especially in recent years. Happy to see that schools are beginning to drop it from admissions requirements.

Lehigh'98
May 16th, 2016, 05:10 AM
Plus the PL could protect UD from Rhode Island.

superman7515
May 16th, 2016, 07:03 AM
Plus the PL could protect UD from Rhode Island.
And Sacred Heart...
And Jacksonville...

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Lafayette fans be like, "Great, another 4-7 team that can beat us consistently might be joining the league"

bluehenbillk
May 16th, 2016, 10:46 AM
I'm missing the "No Upgrades for Football" part of this - maybe Superman or someone else can fill me in on that. Speculation that because UD hired a female AD the reason for that speculative comment? I mean new President Assanis talked in the press conference about beating Nova in hoops, UD offering COA was directly asked in the PC & there is more fuel to the fire about UD not being long for the CAA in all sports after the comments by the new AD & President.

I'll give them the first 12 months to show me what they're going to do.

If you want to upgrade the football program a coaching change in November will most likely be a good start. Finish dead last in the country in passing & make no changes regarding QB/WR/OL personnel??? Unfathomable.

Mattymc727
May 16th, 2016, 11:27 AM
What would be a successful season in the eyes of UD fans this season?

superman7515
May 16th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I'm missing the "No Upgrades for Football" part of this - maybe Superman or someone else can fill me in on that. Speculation that because UD hired a female AD the reason for that speculative comment?

Part sexist joke because I enjoy portraying a heel in the offseason when I don't have to keep to the script with releasing the breakdowns and How They Fared stuff, part a nod toward the amount of time they spent focused on basketball during the presser with no mention of football, even in the article, other than the pandering comment on how at least she'll be able to recognize the helmets since she came from Michigan. Just my own expression of chagrin in the situation on south campus. Like a Dave Brock quarterback or a Tim Weaver defense, I'm all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

BisonFan02
May 16th, 2016, 01:37 PM
Part sexist joke because I enjoy portraying a heel in the offseason when I don't have to keep to the script with releasing the breakdowns and How They Fared stuff, part a nod toward the amount of time they spent focused on basketball during the presser with no mention of football, even in the article, other than the pandering comment on how at least she'll be able to recognize the helmets since she came from Michigan. Just my own expression of chagrin in the situation on south campus. Like a Dave Brock quarterback or a Tim Weaver defense, I'm all sound and fury, signifying nothing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/TlK63EWmJDBa5MjIr6g/giphy.gif

Gangtackle11
May 16th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Delaware isn't going anywhere.
They can schedule Bucknell, Lehigh, etc. instead of Delaware State, Jacksonville, & Sacred Heart.

They will have traditional CAA battles with Richmond, W&M, & Nova.

Get Temple every few years and it will be a schedule that Delaware fans can get behind.

Going to PL isn't the answer. Staying in the CAA & doing a better job with OOC games is.

Delaware will be back. Sooner than my liking.

bluehenbillk
May 16th, 2016, 03:07 PM
What would be a successful season in the eyes of UD fans this season?

Simply put, a playoff berth. Anything less is failure.

bluehenbillk
May 16th, 2016, 03:08 PM
Delaware isn't going anywhere.
They can schedule Bucknell, Lehigh, etc. instead of Delaware State, Jacksonville, & Sacred Heart.

They will have traditional CAA battles with Richmond, W&M, & Nova.

Get Temple every few years and it will be a schedule that Delaware fans can get behind.

Going to PL isn't the answer. Staying in the CAA & doing a better job with OOC games is.

Delaware will be back. Sooner than my liking.

Only on the AGS board would Delaware going to the PL be even floated. UD has absolutely less than zero interest in such a move as does its fans.

BisonFan02
May 16th, 2016, 03:18 PM
Only on the AGS board would Delaware going to the PL be even floated. UD has absolutely less than zero interest in such a move as does its fans.

If we truly cared, we would be debating: What makes more sense for Delaware.....the PL or the Sunbelt? :D

clenz
May 16th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Give it a few years and there won't be many UD fans left above ground, will there?

centennial
May 16th, 2016, 03:29 PM
Give it a few years and there won't be many UD fans left above ground, will there?

Burn

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2016, 03:56 PM
If we truly cared, we would be debating: What makes more sense for Delaware.....the PL or the Sunbelt? :D

Pretty sure AGS would break in this case

BisonFan02
May 16th, 2016, 04:33 PM
Pretty sure AGS would break in this case

Looks like you should write about it and hotlink it somewhere one here. :D

Lehigh Football Nation
May 16th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Looks like you should write about it and hotlink it somewhere one here. :D

C'mon, that would quallify as a DDOS attack

caribbeanhen
May 17th, 2016, 01:46 AM
she needs to tell Brock the honeymoon is over, get to work and go get a freakin WR or two, how hard can it be.... Brock is flirting with another disaster on Offense this year, if the light bulb for Walker is gonna come on, it should happen by mid August.... if not, our D better be ready to pitch some shutouts..

OhioHen
May 17th, 2016, 05:50 AM

That comment deserves a belated Happy St. Totteringham's Day to you sir!

clenz
May 17th, 2016, 07:08 AM
That comment deserves a belated Happy St. Totteringham's Day to you sir!

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CCUpHkPWAAApxaN.mp4
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV6zGPWIQAImd0L.jpghttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22490&stc=1
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdosrnBtM41qh52joo1_500.jpg

bluehenbillk
May 17th, 2016, 09:05 AM
she needs to tell Brock the honeymoon is over, get to work and go get a freakin WR or two, how hard can it be.... Brock is flirting with another disaster on Offense this year, if the light bulb for Walker is gonna come on, it should happen by mid August.... if not, our D better be ready to pitch some shutouts..

Agreed 100% - he's playing throwing Walker back there again with the same wideouts & O-line. I understand why people can say "it can't be any worse", but how much better could it really be?

The guy is way to stubborn if you ask me.

He's guaranteed a playoff year, so if it doesn't happen I don't see a path where he's back for 2017.

OhioHen
May 17th, 2016, 03:04 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CCUpHkPWAAApxaN.mp4
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BV6zGPWIQAImd0L.jpghttp://www.anygivensaturday.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22490&stc=1
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdosrnBtM41qh52joo1_500.jpg

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to clenz again.

clenz
May 17th, 2016, 03:20 PM
Decided to turn that MP4 into a gif...

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o6Ei0Mg8w89pZO8z6/giphy.gif

That is the epitome of being a Spurs....and UNI....and Vikings...and Twins....and Twolves....and every team I support....fan

It's why people trying to pull schadenfreude on me pretty much never get a rise from me. It's all I know.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 17th, 2016, 04:21 PM
As a Saints and Red Sox fan, I used to know what serious, deeply despairing angst was like but now I forget