PDA

View Full Version : 15 Best FCS/FBS Games Of 2016

clenz
May 12th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Craig Haley put together his top 15 cross sub-divisional match-ups

FCS teams upsetting FBS programs have come to be one of the leading storylines early in a college football season. Over the first few weekends, Cinderella fires up fans as if it’s March.

Three years ago, FCS teams took down FBS opponents 16 times – a single-season record. Last year, it was nine times, which is still a decent number.

In 2016, there are 112 opportunities for the FCS. All of the matchups involve the 11 FCS scholarship conferences – there are none involving the non-scholarship Ivy and Pioneer leagues – and the games, as usual, are in the lion’s den, hosted by the FBS schools.

Many of the FBS losses involve Group of Five teams, but Cinderella always lurks – in shoulder pads and cleats instead of a dress and high heels – and an upset of an FBS power program rocks college football. Here are 15 marquee FBS vs. FCS matchups to keep an eye on:

See more at: http://athlonsports.com/college-football/15-best-fbs-vs-fcs-football-games-2016#sthash.po70T4lF.dpuf

Each game at the link has a write up about each game but here are the games without that write up. Feel free to follow the link and read about each game

15. South Carolina State at Clemson (Sept. 17)
14. Lamar at Houston (Sept. 10)
13. South Dakota State at TCU (Sept. 3)
12. Youngstown State at West Virginia (Sept. 10)
11. Villanova at Pittsburgh (Sept. 3)
10. The Citadel at North Carolina (Nov. 19)
9. James Madison at North Carolina (Sept. 17)
8. Charleston Southern at Florida State (Sept. 10)
7. Portland State at Washington (Sept. 17)
6. Richmond at Virginia (Sept. 3)
5. Northern Iowa at Iowa State (Sept. 3)
4. Chattanooga at Alabama (Nov. 19)
3. Jacksonville State at LSU (Sept. 10)
2. Eastern Washington at Washington State (Sept. 3)
1. North Dakota State at Iowa (Sept. 17)

aceinthehole
May 12th, 2016, 09:49 AM
Interesting that Power-5 ACC member North Carolina has 2 FCS games scheduled (Citadel and JMU) this year.

Anyone know how many FBS teams (especially P5 teams) have recently scheduled 2 FCS games in the same season? I assume this is pretty rare.

Daytripper
May 12th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Houston will absolutely destroy Lamar.

tribe_pride
May 12th, 2016, 10:03 AM
BC did last year because New Mexico State backed out and that was the only way they could get another home game.

Apparently, UNC also had 2 FCS games last year. What's with that?

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2016, 10:24 AM
#3,4 and 12-15 won't happen

slostang
May 12th, 2016, 10:31 AM
I think Cal Poly has a good shot of knocking off Nevada.

F'N Hawks
May 12th, 2016, 10:39 AM
I think Cal Poly has a good shot of knocking off Nevada.

They gave up 190/game on the ground last year. Good at times, real bad at others. Poly always has a chance based on their offense and whether the other team figured out a good plan or not.

bertram
May 12th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Montana State Vs. Idaho is another interesting FCS Vs. FBS 2016 match-up. When it was first announced I could see where you would leave it off a top 15 list; but with Idaho being booted out of the Sun Belt, and landing in the Big Sky Conference after 2017, it will be a statement game of sorts for the Vandals. On MSU's side it the first look at a Post Prukop/ Jeff Choate led Bobcat team.

tribefan40
May 12th, 2016, 11:00 AM
W&M @ North Carolina State should be a good one. W&M is as veteran a squad as they've had for some time, and NCSU lost a ton.

BisonFan02
May 12th, 2016, 11:02 AM
Craig Haley put together his top 15 cross sub-divisional match-ups

Each game at the link has a write up about each game but here are the games without that write up. Feel free to follow the link and read about each game

15. South Carolina State at Clemson (Sept. 17)
14. Lamar at Houston (Sept. 10)
13. South Dakota State at TCU (Sept. 3)
12. Youngstown State at West Virginia (Sept. 10)
11. Villanova at Pittsburgh (Sept. 3)
10. The Citadel at North Carolina (Nov. 19)
9. James Madison at North Carolina (Sept. 17)
8. Charleston Southern at Florida State (Sept. 10)
7. Portland State at Washington (Sept. 17)
6. Richmond at Virginia (Sept. 3)
5. Northern Iowa at Iowa State (Sept. 3)
4. Chattanooga at Alabama (Nov. 19)
3. Jacksonville State at LSU (Sept. 10)
2. Eastern Washington at Washington State (Sept. 3)
1. North Dakota State at Iowa (Sept. 17)

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--iyrS6B5A--/p9sjh1vbfdh7yz2dgm9v.gif

melloware13
May 12th, 2016, 11:18 AM
Interesting that Power-5 ACC member North Carolina has 2 FCS games scheduled (Citadel and JMU) this year.

Anyone know how many FBS teams (especially P5 teams) have recently scheduled 2 FCS games in the same season? I assume this is pretty rare.
UNC did it last year, playing NCA&T and Delaware. That was why, if they had beaten Clemson in the ACC CG they wouldn't have been in the playoffs.

BEAR
May 12th, 2016, 11:30 AM
I'd like to see a list of FBS vs. FCS "in state" matchups for this coming year.

UCA plays Arkansas State.

AState has been on a roll the past 5 years. But their two starting QBs were kicked off the team or left. Their defense is still intact though.

FCS usually does good against lower level SunBelt teams..but AState isn't lower level.

BisonFan02
May 12th, 2016, 11:36 AM

UCA plays Arkansas State.

AState has been on a roll the past 5 years. But their two starting QBs were kicked off the team or left. Their defense is still intact though.

FCS usually does good against lower level SunBelt teams..but AState isn't lower level.

Meh....NDSU/AState....who ya got? :D

Mattymc727
May 12th, 2016, 11:54 AM
Maybe im seeing through my wildcat blue colored glasses of the offseason, but UNH has a chance against San Diego state. Any of these teams matched up against power conferences have less of a chance then that.

ST_Lawson
May 12th, 2016, 12:44 PM

Western actually plays in-state FBS teams quite frequently. It's nice because usually the crowds are a little bigger (since more Western people can make the trip), travel is cheap for the team, and it helps keep that money in-state.

This year, we're playing at Northern Illinois. NIU was down a bit last year, but I don't know if they're trending that direction or not. WIU was somewhat improved and like most fans, I feel like my team will be better next year (but I don't really know for sure). Sagarin had NIU at #84 at the end of last year, with Western at #116 (and UNI, who we beat at the dome, at #77), so if that stays about the same, there's a good chance that we can keep the game close.

For reference, in 2014 we played at Northwestern (and Wisconsin), 2015 at Illinois, and we are currently scheduled to play at Northwestern again in 2017 and Illinois again in 2018. Those games were already scheduled when the Big 10 instituted their policy on not playing FCS teams, so they should be grandfathered in. Beyond that though, we likely won't be playing Big 10 schools much (if at all) for a while.

JayJ79
May 12th, 2016, 01:06 PM
Sagarin had NIU at #84 at the end of last year, with Western at #116 (and UNI, who we beat at the dome, at #77), so if that stays about the same, there's a good chance that we can keep the game close.

Using the results of playing UNI or NDSU the week after the NDSU/UNI game isn't really an accurate measuring stick.

clenz
May 12th, 2016, 01:22 PM
Using the results of playing UNI or NDSU the week after the NDSU/UNI game isn't really an accurate measuring stick.
Exactly.

USD beat NDSU that same week.

That game pretty much kills both teams for a week

melloware13
May 12th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Alabama
Alabama A&M @ Auburn - 11/19

Arizona
Northern Arizona @ Arizona State - 9/3

Arkansas
Central Arkansas @ Arkansas State - 9/24

California
Sacramento State @ Fresno State - 9/10

Colorado
Northern Colorado @ Colorado State - 9/17

Florida
Florida A&M @ Miami - 9/3

Georgia
Savannah State @ Georgia Southern - 9/3
Mercer @ Georgia Tech - 9/10

Illinois
Illinois State @ Northwestern - 9/3
Western Illinois @ Northern Illinois - 9/24

Iowa
Northern Iowa @ Iowa State - 9/3

Louisiana
Southern @ UL Monroe - 9/3
Southern @ Tulane - 9/10
McNeese State @ UL Lafayette - 9/10

New York
Colgate @ Syracuse - 9/2
Albany @ Buffalo - 9/2

North Carolina
North Carolina Central @ Duke - 9/3
Western Carolina @ East Carolina - 9/3
Elon @ Charlotte - 9/10

Pennsylvania
Villanova @ Pittsburgh - 9/3

South Carolina
South Carolina State @ Clemson - 9/17

Tennessee
Tennessee State @ Vanderbilt - 10/22
Tennessee Tech @ Tennessee - 11/5

Texas
Stephen F. Austin @ Texas Tech - 9/3
Lamar @ Houston - 9/10
Prairie View A&M @ Texas A&M - 9/10
Incarnate Word @ Texas State - 10/1
Prairie View A&M @ Rice - 10/22
Houston Baptist @ UTEP - 11/5

Utah
Weber State @ Utah State - 9/1
Southern Utah @ Utah - 9/1

Virginia
Richmond @ Virginia - 9/3
Liberty @ Virginia Tech - 9/3
Hampton @ Old Dominion - 9/3

Washington
Eastern Washington @ Washington State - 9/3

No Game (has FBS and FCS): Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon

Lehigh Football Nation
May 12th, 2016, 01:36 PM
Nova @ Pitt. Interesting. Should at least be a good game.

BEAR
May 12th, 2016, 02:28 PM
Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Florida

Georgia

Illinois

Iowa

Louisiana
Southern @ Tulane - 9/10

New York
Colgate @ Syracuse - 9/2
Albany @ Buffalo - 9/2

North Carolina
Elon @ Charlotte - 9/10

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Lamar @ Houston - 9/10

Utah

Virginia

Washington

No Game (has FBS and FCS): Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Ohio, Oregon

Thanks...trying to ration my work time and my research time...xlolx

slostang
May 12th, 2016, 02:49 PM
They gave up 190/game on the ground last year. Good at times, real bad at others. Poly always has a chance based on their offense and whether the other team figured out a good plan or not.
True. That is why I am excited that former D-coordinator Payam Saadat is returning to coach the D-line. He followed Ellerson to Army. Sadat was at Cal Poly under Ellerson from 2004 to 2008 and was D-coordinator from 2006 to 2008. Look at Cal Poly's defensive #'s during that time which included three Buck Buchanan winners:

The Cal Poly defense in 2004 ranked first nationally in rushing defense, allowing opponents just 84.3 yards rushing per game. The defense was ninth nationally in scoring defense, giving up 16.6 points per game. The 2004 defensive unit set school records with 50 quarterback sacks (first nationally) and 25 interceptions (second nationally).

In 2005 Cal Poly increased its school record for sacks to 62 and was first in the nation in that department as well as No. 14 in rushing defense, 13th in scoring defense and 22nd in total defense.

In 2006, the Mustangs were sixth in total defense (248.27) and were ranked in the top 20 in five other defensive categories –- No. 3 in pass defense, No. 4 in sacks, No. 5 in tackles for lost yardage, No. 10 in scoring defense and No. 19 in rushing defense.

The Mustangs closed the 2008 season ranked second in quarterback sacks (3.36 per game) and tied for 42nd in tackles for loss (6.36).

JSUSoutherner
May 12th, 2016, 03:21 PM
#3,4 and 12-15 won't happen
I think we have a shot at pulling it off but the stars will need to be aligned and Fournette will need to catch a cold for the week.

Out of the handfull of FCS teams that have a chance at pulling an upset of that caliber, I like to think we are one of them.

I will stay optimistic but I'm honestly just hoping to not have a repeat of Michigan State. Our Kryptonite has always been grade A quarterbacks (see NDSU, Michigan State, us vs. Garopollo, even KD Humphries got a lot of work done on us last year) but I really don't think Brandon Harris fits that bill.

That said, our matchup is probably the hardest out of anyone else on the list. Save for maybe Clemson.

God please let Fournette catch a cold that week.

KPSUL
May 12th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Maybe im seeing through my wildcat blue colored glasses of the offseason, but UNH has a chance against San Diego state. Any of these teams matched up against power conferences have less of a chance then that.

I hope your right, but objectively I can't agree. San Diego State got progressively better throughout the 2015 season and they lost very little through graduation. I think we'll see them on some FBS top 25 preseason lists. They have way more size, and even more importantly, depth, on both the OL and DL. While this UNH team should be much more prepared to play when they travel to the West Coast for the first game of the season than they were last year, I think this San Diego State team is equally that much better than San Jose was in 2015.

KPSUL
May 12th, 2016, 04:53 PM
I think we have a shot at pulling it off but the stars will need to be aligned and Fournette will need to catch a cold for the week.

Out of the handfull of FCS teams that have a chance at pulling an upset of that caliber, I like to think we are one of them.

I will stay optimistic but I'm honestly just hoping to not have a repeat of Michigan State. Our Kryptonite has always been grade A quarterbacks (see NDSU, Michigan State, us vs. Garopollo, even KD Humphries got a lot of work done on us last year) but I really don't think Brandon Harris fits that bill.

That said, our matchup is probably the hardest out of anyone else on the list. Save for maybe Clemson.

I suspect he'd play through a cold, Better hope for something more substantial. McNeese set the bar pretty high last year managing a 0-0 tie.

KPSUL
May 12th, 2016, 05:00 PM
Not sure what criteria they used to come up with this list, but based on the likelihood of an FCS victory, IMO the three best FCS chances, in no particular order:

UNI @ Iowa State
NDSU @ Iowa
Richmond @ Virginia

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2016, 05:07 PM

I LOL'd

BisonTru
May 12th, 2016, 05:20 PM
I hope your right, but objectively I can't agree. San Diego State got progressively better throughout the 2015 season and they lost very little through graduation. I think we'll see them on some FBS top 25 preseason lists. They have way more size, and even more importantly, depth, on both the OL and DL. While this UNH team should be much more prepared to play when they travel to the West Coast for the first game of the season than they were last year, I think this San Diego State team is equally that much better than San Jose was in 2015.

Does your AD have a GF in California? You guys almost couldn't find farther FBS opponents. Is Hawaii on the schedule next year?

KPSUL
May 12th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Does your AD have a GF in California? You guys almost couldn't find farther FBS opponents. Is Hawaii on the schedule next year?

Who knows, I didn't like the idea of playing FBS games out there. Maybe they pay well, there aren't many West Coast FCS team to match up with all the FBS. At least we should have scheduled Fresno or UNLV. Hawaii would have been a much better idea. Does the University of Auckland have a football team?

PantherRob82
May 12th, 2016, 06:06 PM

Recruiting

JSUSoutherner
May 12th, 2016, 06:20 PM
I suspect he'd play through a cold, Better hope for something more substantial. McNeese set the bar pretty high last year managing a 0-0 tie.
We could just borrow Alabama's D-line for a weekend. I'm sure that would stop Fournette.

NDSUtk
May 12th, 2016, 07:35 PM
We could just borrow Alabama's D-line for a weekend. I'm sure that would stop Fournette.
I thought you already had all Alabama linemen? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
May 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I thought you already had all Alabama linemen? ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Auburn...Bama....same difference. :D

Go Lehigh TU owl
May 12th, 2016, 08:30 PM

UNH is in trouble against the Aztecs. They've consistently recruited some legit athletes the last 6-7 years. UNH has generally done a good job scheduling the FBS games but going cross country two years in a row is not the best decision imo. Especially this year when you're facing a true top 40 team. This one could get ugly pretty quick....

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 12th, 2016, 08:48 PM
The Bison have a real good chance of beating Iowa IMO.xnodx

mvemjsunpx
May 13th, 2016, 02:23 AM

Not if Iowa's anything like they were last year. I mean, an upset is possible, but UI will likely be the best FBS opponent NDSU has played in recent years.

Twentysix
May 13th, 2016, 04:30 AM
Who knows, I didn't like the idea of playing FBS games out there. Maybe they pay well, there aren't many West Coast FCS team to match up with all the FBS. At least we should have scheduled Fresno or UNLV. Hawaii would have been a much better idea. Does the University of Auckland have a football team?

No but they have a helicopter fleet. ;) I have a friend that did his PhD there.

Twentysix
May 13th, 2016, 04:31 AM
Not if Iowa's anything like they were last year. I mean, an upset is possible, but UI will likely be the best FBS opponent NDSU has played in recent years.

Don't worry, after NDSU beats Iowa you can fall back on Iowa's ranking being puffed up last year cause they didn't play anyone.

dewey
May 13th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Iowa should be ranked in the top 15...right?

Dewey

Mattymc727
May 13th, 2016, 06:44 AM
California is a pipeline state for UNH now, they want to play out there as much as possible. I think Colorado is on the schedule in 2018 though, dont know if a 2017 is scheduled.

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 06:55 AM
Man the NDSU/Iowa game is a tough one for me to find a team to pull for.

Both fan bases are already insufferable...they are mirror images of each other just on different scales.

Iowa has never lost to an FCS program. They have an over-inflated sense of self that would lead you to believe they are Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc... They are going to deal with a lot of **** from NDSU fans on Twitter and message boards. I may actually leave twitter for a while given how many NDSU and Iowa fans I follow. The amount of **** NDSU is going to talk leading into the game is going to make it so that when Iowa wins by double digit points their reaction is going to be extra insufferable, even worse than when they beat UNI. It's going to make the 2018 match up with them that much worse to lead into. It's going to make their demeaning attitude towards the FCS that much worse.

HOWEVER,

Should NDSU find a way to win....holy **** balls. I quit twitter. I quit AGS. I quit CS. I quit Twitter. I quit facebook. I quit the internet.

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 07:08 AM

Dewey
Depends on how pollsters react to the Stanford game.

Iowa played a pretty cake schedule last year and rode that into the B10 title game and Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl got ugly, fast. I don't know that that is a true indication that they were as overrated as people want to make it out to be...Stanford, more specifically McCaffery, played the best game any RB has played in a college football game in decades(?).

The Hawkeyes do return 4 of 5 offensive lineman (I believe) and always have one of the better offensive lines in the country, and the extreme majority of their defense. Drew Ott's medical was denied, but he only played in 3.5 games last year and that defense moved fine without him. What many thought would be a top 15ish pick in CB Desmond King has opted to return for his senior season as well.

The only real question mark for the Hawkeye's is a take the top off deep threat. They return something like 4 of their top 6 pass catchers from last season, including their top one. That offensive line is going to give anyone that lines up behind them good yardage.

NDSU tends to play, more or less, even with UNI because the styles of play are so similar in terms of size and physicality. The Hawkeyes are built the same exact way but tend to be better than UNI.

slostang
May 13th, 2016, 08:06 AM
California is a pipeline state for UNH now, they want to play out there as much as possible. I think Colorado is on the schedule in 2018 though, dont know if a 2017 is scheduled.
I am sure Cal Poly would love to host UNH if they need a game in California.

344Johnson
May 13th, 2016, 08:14 AM

Dewey

After the Stanford ordeal...I don't know.

UNDColorado
May 13th, 2016, 08:44 AM
Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Florida

Georgia

Illinois

Iowa

Louisiana
Southern @ Tulane - 9/10

New York
Colgate @ Syracuse - 9/2
Albany @ Buffalo - 9/2

North Carolina
Elon @ Charlotte - 9/10

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Lamar @ Houston - 9/10

Utah

Virginia

Washington

Quick addition: UND @ Bowling Green on 9/10.

I have no prediction. They lost their coach, QB, and some other contributors to graduation. I also thought I read that their top receiver transferred to Alabama since he graduated but had one year of eligibility left.

F'N Hawks
May 13th, 2016, 08:51 AM

I have no prediction. They lost their coach, QB, and some other contributors to graduation. I also thought I read that their top receiver transferred to Alabama since he graduated but had one year of eligibility left.

He was listing "In-State" matchups.

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 08:54 AM

That's.....not....instate

UNDColorado
May 13th, 2016, 08:55 AM
My bad. It's early out here.

JSUSoutherner
May 13th, 2016, 09:29 AM
After the Stanford ordeal...I don't know.
I still feel like Iowa is a better team than they were in the Rose Bowl.

There were several really good teams that just went into a game and got the **** knocked out of them last year. See Ohio State vs Michigan as an example. One bad game doesn't mean much. That's just my opinion.

Regardless of beatdown they were still 12-2 last year.

Mattymc727
May 13th, 2016, 09:32 AM
I am sure Cal Poly would love to host UNH if they need a game in California.

Would be fun! UNH went to UC Davis back in 2005 and left with a W. Unfortunately I think UNH wants a paycheck now...

Im hoping with the stadium upgrades, they will look more to do H/H with other prominent FCS teams.

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 09:46 AM
I still feel like Iowa is a better team than they were in the Rose Bowl.

There were several really good teams that just went into a game and got the **** knocked out of them last year. See Ohio State vs Michigan as an example. One bad game doesn't mean much. That's just my opinion.

Regardless of beatdown they were still 12-2 last year.
They were also just 27 seconds from being in the playoff. That gets lost quite a bit. MSU scored with 27 seconds left to take the lead on third and goal. I'm also not sure MSU had a TO left after that play so had Iowa stuffed it there's a solid chance that a rushed 4th down play doesn't get in.

Thumper 76
May 13th, 2016, 11:11 AM
HOWEVER,

Should NDSU find a way to win....holy **** balls. I quit twitter. I quit AGS. I quit CS. I quit Twitter. I quit facebook. I quit the internet.

This. I've never cheered for a FBS team over a FCS unless it was the Badgers playing, but the reaction from the bison fans makes me think about it. Really really think about it.

centennial
May 13th, 2016, 11:21 AM
This. I've never cheered for a FBS team over a FCS unless it was the Badgers playing, but the reaction from the bison fans makes me think about it. Really really think about it.
Oh please. I cheer for SDSU every FBS game it plays. Same for every FBS vs FCS game. NDSU has been good for the MVFC. We are a G5 level conference because of the enhanced competition. Our mid level teams like SIU or YSU could win multiple FCS conferences.

F'N Hawks
May 13th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Oh please. I cheer for SDSU every FBS game it plays. Same for every FBS vs FCS game. NDSU has been good for the MVFC. We are a G5 level conference because of the enhanced competition. Our mid level teams like SIU or YSU could win multiple FCS conferences.

He didn't say anything about the NDSU FB program itself.

BisonTru
May 13th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Depends on how pollsters react to the Stanford game.

Iowa played a pretty cake schedule last year and rode that into the B10 title game and Rose Bowl. The Rose Bowl got ugly, fast. I don't know that that is a true indication that they were as overrated as people want to make it out to be...Stanford, more specifically McCaffery, played the best game any RB has played in a college football game in decades(?).

The Hawkeyes do return 4 of 5 offensive lineman (I believe) and always have one of the better offensive lines in the country, and the extreme majority of their defense. Drew Ott's medical was denied, but he only played in 3.5 games last year and that defense moved fine without him. What many thought would be a top 15ish pick in CB Desmond King has opted to return for his senior season as well.

The only real question mark for the Hawkeye's is a take the top off deep threat. They return something like 4 of their top 6 pass catchers from last season, including their top one. That offensive line is going to give anyone that lines up behind them good yardage.

NDSU tends to play, more or less, even with UNI because the styles of play are so similar in terms of size and physicality. The Hawkeyes are built the same exact way but tend to be better than UNI.

I've been seeing right around the 20 mark for a preseason ranking for Iowa.

I know they lost their center and I believe a guard also. A popular opinion among Hawkeye fans and FBS fans is that we won't be able to match up physically with Iowa. I'm not buying it. I know what Iowa is and I know about their history sending O lineman to the NFL. I heard the same chant from the KSU fans. Outside of left tackle (which is just an unkown) we are stout in the trenches. I'm not saying we will be better, but equal I think is a fair guess. We won in the trenches in Manhattan.

My bigger concern is the skill positions. Iowa has a lock down corner, and a talented QB. I'm not sure what Iowa has for wide outs, but I would assume they have some athletes. It's likely we will get beat from time to time and if Beathard can find them it could result in some big plays. On our side, King may very well lock down one side of the field in the passing game limiting what Stick can do. Time will tell, if we lose I might just run over to Chicago and see if Wentz can't take down the Bears.

Also, why would you abandon CS? I rarely go over there, but I've only seen one NDSU poster and he seems pretty mild. Seems like a great escape place for the non-Bison fans. I'm well aware our fans can become over bearing, but to defend our behavior somewhat it can be really hard to stay humble from time to time. Usually some valley team punches us in the mouth at some point to bring the egos down.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2016, 12:13 PM
Beating Iowa would be a great audition tape for the Big 12

BisonFan02
May 13th, 2016, 12:17 PM

Both fan bases are already insufferable...they are mirror images of each other just on different scales.

Iowa has never lost to an FCS program. They have an over-inflated sense of self that would lead you to believe they are Michigan, Alabama, Ohio State, Notre Dame, etc... They are going to deal with a lot of **** from NDSU fans on Twitter and message boards. I may actually leave twitter for a while given how many NDSU and Iowa fans I follow. The amount of **** NDSU is going to talk leading into the game is going to make it so that when Iowa wins by double digit points their reaction is going to be extra insufferable, even worse than when they beat UNI. It's going to make the 2018 match up with them that much worse to lead into. It's going to make their demeaning attitude towards the FCS that much worse.

HOWEVER,

Looks like I found a new sig line.... xlolx

clenz
May 13th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I've been seeing right around the 20 mark for a preseason ranking for Iowa.

I know they lost their center and I believe a guard also. A popular opinion among Hawkeye fans and FBS fans is that we won't be able to match up physically with Iowa. I'm not buying it. I know what Iowa is and I know about their history sending O lineman to the NFL. I heard the same chant from the KSU fans. Outside of left tackle (which is just an unkown) we are stout in the trenches. I'm not saying we will be better, but equal I think is a fair guess. We won in the trenches in Manhattan.

My bigger concern is the skill positions. Iowa has a lock down corner, and a talented QB. I'm not sure what Iowa has for wide outs, but I would assume they have some athletes. It's likely we will get beat from time to time and if Beathard can find them it could result in some big plays. On our side, King may very well lock down one side of the field in the passing game limiting what Stick can do. Time will tell, if we lose I might just run over to Chicago and see if Wentz can't take down the Bears.

Also, why would you abandon CS? I rarely go over there, but I've only seen one NDSU poster and he seems pretty mild. Seems like a great escape place for the non-Bison fans. I'm well aware our fans can become over bearing, but to defend our behavior somewhat it can be really hard to stay humble from time to time. Usually some valley team punches us in the mouth at some point to bring the egos down.
What KSU has in the trenches is nothing on what Iowa has....not even close. Not in size. Not in strength. Not even the same universe for technique.

Gater
May 13th, 2016, 01:39 PM
Colgate plays Syracuse. The schools are 35 miles apart and former arch rivals. Colgate leads the series 31-30-5 (but hasn't won since 1950). Colgate returns 20 starters from a team that made it to the quarterfinals. Syracuse has a new coach and the AD just quit after a year on the job. The spread will still be 20+ but... (It's hard not to be a but man on this one if you're a Colgate fan. COME ON!!!)

Thumper 76
May 13th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Not sure what criteria they used to come up with this list, but based on the likelihood of an FCS victory, IMO the three best FCS chances, in no particular order:

UNI @ Iowa State
NDSU @ Iowa
Richmond @ Virginia

I was wondering at the criteria as well. Not much for in the write ups for the games either.

centennial
May 13th, 2016, 03:24 PM
Beating Iowa would be a great audition tape for the Big 12
NDSU has no chance of the Big 12. The best we could do is the Mountain West, and we aren't a geographic fit.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 13th, 2016, 03:55 PM
NDSU has no chance of the Big 12. The best we could do is the Mountain West, and we aren't a geographic fit.

The Big 12 however appears to be considering anybpdy

centennial
May 13th, 2016, 04:21 PM
The Big 12 however appears to be considering anybpdy
Colorado State is not NDSU as much as I would like to pretend it is.

Catbooster
May 13th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Colgate plays Syracuse. The schools are 35 miles apart and former arch rivals. Colgate leads the series 31-30-5 (but hasn't won since 1950). Colgate returns 20 starters from a team that made it to the quarterfinals. Syracuse has a new coach and the AD just quit after a year on the job. The spread will still be 20+ but... (It's hard not to be a but man on this one if you're a Colgate fan. COME ON!!!)
Go Colgate!

Given the new coach, new quarterback, graduation losses, etc. I still think MSU has a reasonably good chance to beat Idaho. Yeah, I know, but they are still technically FBS.

JayJ79
May 14th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Ideally, I'd like to see UNI beat Iowa in 2018 before the Hawks follow suit with the rest of the Big Ten cowering away from FCS matchups. Not sure who to pull for in the NDSU@Iowa game.

I wonder if the Bison win, if that would prompt Iowa to try and get out of their matchup with UNI (not sure what kind of buyout clause is in that contract).

KPSUL
May 14th, 2016, 07:21 AM

Georgia Southern in 2017

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2016, 10:55 AM

Dewey

I think so.

Thumper 76
May 14th, 2016, 12:36 PM

Oh it's nothing personal, and I'll most likely end up rooting for them. However I certainly with clenz that a lot of Bison fans (not necessarily on here) would become absolutely unbearable.

UNH72Plus
May 14th, 2016, 12:42 PM

As much as I'd like to agree with you, I don't see it happening. The Wildcats have certainly improved over last year's team, but SDSU is a step up from San Jose State, and they creamed us. Some sources are predicting an undefeated season for SDSU. Still hoping to make the trek from NH for the game though.

BisonFan02
May 14th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Oh it's nothing personal, and I'll most likely end up rooting for them. However I certainly with clenz that a lot of Bison fans (not necessarily on here) would become absolutely unbearable.

http://i.imgur.com/OhzVo.gif

TheKingpin28
May 14th, 2016, 02:11 PM

I hear you on that. I can only imagine how bisonville would be after my 2nd favorite team loses to my favorite team. I do not like homerism 24/7 and that is the reason why I am here and not there. Vast variety of discussion from outside perspectives that give me more knowledge on the FCS as a whole and allow me to continue to build my arguments instead of consistently getting a "yes man" kind of answer

Seawolf97
May 14th, 2016, 02:33 PM
Alabama

Arizona

Arkansas

California

Colorado

Florida

Georgia

Illinois

Iowa

Louisiana
Southern @ Tulane - 9/10

New York
Colgate @ Syracuse - 9/2
Albany @ Buffalo - 9/2

North Carolina
Elon @ Charlotte - 9/10

Pennsylvania

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas
Lamar @ Houston - 9/10

Utah

Virginia

Washington

You missed StonyBrook at Temple 9/10 . Not that I expect a win.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 14th, 2016, 03:10 PM
I hear you on that. I can only imagine how bisonville would be after my 2nd favorite team loses to my favorite team. I do not like homerism 24/7 and that is the reason why I am here and not there. Vast variety of discussion from outside perspectives that give me more knowledge on the FCS as a whole and allow me to continue to build my arguments instead of consistently getting a "yes man" kind of answer

Bisonville can be awful. Example; someone was arguing the other day that the Vikings were fools for not signing Zach Vraa who they described as, and I quote " A poor mans Chris Carter." The homerism is strong with this one....

TheKingpin28
May 14th, 2016, 04:30 PM
Bisonville can be awful. Example; someone was arguing the other day that the Vikings were fools for not signing Zach Vraa who they described as, and I quote " A poor mans Chris Carter." The homerism is strong with this one....

Uh......I cant even.......Wow

That is why I know I would not be well like over there. I would explain how that might be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

I know Zach and I know he would never say ANYTHING that absurd.

Bison Fan in NW MN
May 14th, 2016, 04:34 PM

Zach was a great FCS player but he has no chance of making a NFL team IMO.

Lehigh Football Nation
May 14th, 2016, 08:55 PM

Are you trying to imply that Zach Vraa took money under the table and will help put NDSU on probation, the way that Cris Carter did at Ohio State?

BisonTru
May 14th, 2016, 09:14 PM

FWIW, it's one poster who is insanely high on Vraa. He's been called out on it many times.

344Johnson
May 14th, 2016, 09:55 PM
What KSU has in the trenches is nothing on what Iowa has....not even close. Not in size. Not in strength. Not even the same universe for technique.

Yeah I don't know why anyone would compare the two teams in that regard.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 14th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Are you trying to imply that Zach Vraa took money under the table and will help put NDSU on probation, the way that Cris Carter did at Ohio State?

How did you know oh wise sage?

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 08:30 AM

I like Vraa as well but "A poor mans Chris Carter"? That would be one broke assed poor man.

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM

HOWEVER,

Bison fans will treat the impending victory over the Hawkeyes then same way we handle every routine victory over an FBS team, with style and class. There will be no gloating over the greatness of the program, there will be no "We want Bama" posts or threads about Easton Stick going #2 in the draft after his sophomore QB season. The victory over Iowa will be but a stepping stone to another National Championship victory. The only concern that the Bison faithful will have is how we are going to fit our FBS bowl invite into the FCS playoff schedule. I suppose if we have to, we could play a football double header sometime in December.

clenz
May 15th, 2016, 09:33 AM
Because Bison fans are so humble already...

centennial
May 15th, 2016, 10:18 AM
There are a lot of bandwagoners. Also ND is now a NDSU football, and UND hockey state. The volume of fans is on the upper end for FCS programs, comparable to many G5 programs. Because this is the case the vocal aholes are everywhere on the internet. However, IMO most fans are gracious, good people that behave appropriately.

On topic, we will have to catch Iowa on a bad day. They are stronger than K State and this NDSU team will probably not be as good as the 2013 team. If Iowa takes us lightly, or decide to play vanilla, they will lose.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 15th, 2016, 12:04 PM

*The most humble actually. The Humblest

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2016, 01:22 PM

Come talk to us when you guys win a FCS championship or something like that. xlolx Am I doing it right UNI fans?

Thumper 76
May 15th, 2016, 01:54 PM
Come talk to us when you guys win a FCS championship or something like that. xlolx Am I doing it right UNI fans?

Dunno if I have to be a UNI fan to be qualified for judgement, but that was pretty solid. 8/10 Should have followed with a garage door comment if talking to UNI fans for full score.

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Dunno if I have to be a UNI fan to be qualified for judgement, but that was pretty solid. 8/10 Should have followed with a garage door comment if talking to UNI fans for full score.

Storming the field in a conference game could have been incorporated as well.

Thumper 76
May 15th, 2016, 01:58 PM

That would be bonus points.

Twentysix
May 15th, 2016, 02:47 PM

haha, I hate this guy, but this is funny.

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 02:56 PM

You think you hate me know, wait until you meet me, if that ever happens.

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2016, 03:13 PM

http://i.imgur.com/lj8AV9j.gif

IBleedYellow
May 15th, 2016, 03:14 PM
You think you hate me know, wait until you meet me, if that ever happens.
You actually met him at The Turf one time.

99% sure.

Edit. Nope, nvm. That was 334Johnson.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
May 15th, 2016, 03:14 PM

Ask IBY..... xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

You actually met him at The Turf one time.

99% sure.

Edit. Nope, nvm. That was 334Johnson.

We did?

EDIT: nevermind...saw the 334Johnson edit....I've never met him either...just saw him there. xlolx

IBleedYellow
May 15th, 2016, 03:16 PM
Ask IBY..... xlolx

- - - Updated - - -

We did?

EDIT: nevermind...saw the 334Johnson edit....I've never met him either...just saw him there. xlolx
He was a little b that day. If I remember almost all of us started disliking him from that day on xlolx

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 06:57 PM
He was a little b that day. If I remember almost all of us started disliking him from that day on xlolx

Anybody that partakes of the Turf has to be good people. Still don't understand how that place passes the health inspections but the food is decent and they have beer.

TheKingpin28
May 15th, 2016, 07:43 PM
Anybody that partakes of the Turf has to be good people. Still don't understand how that place passes the health inspections but the food is decent and they have beer.

Between Roger, Kelsey, Nick, Flo and co, they do something right.

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Between Roger, Kelsey, Nick, Flo and co, they do something right.

They have the best chili in town or at least they used to.

Twentysix
May 15th, 2016, 07:48 PM

Blasphemy. The best chili in Fargo is at Gastropub. The best drunk chili-cheese fries are at the Turf.

TheKingpin28
May 15th, 2016, 08:05 PM

I'd go beercheese if I had to choose one

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
May 15th, 2016, 09:01 PM
Cheese Curds, jalapeno cheese curds...... About time a thread devolved back to food.

tomq04
May 15th, 2016, 09:06 PM
There is a lot going into the EWU/WSU game. Spokane is the traditional feeding ground for both EWU/WSU kid as it's the closest city to both. More graduates of both schools are in Spokane. For the past 2 years EWU has finally gotten the same level of local sports coverage as WSU/UW and people are generally pumped about EWU's on field (and on basketball court) success. People are pretty pumped to see these two offenses bomb it out.

The last meetings was 2012, and EWU lost in the final seconds with a nice defensive play in the endzone that easily could have gone either way.

All in all, for being 67 (Cheney to Pullman) miles from each other, the Spokane crowd is expecting a sporting specticle this year.

POD Knows
May 15th, 2016, 09:08 PM
Blasphemy. The best chili in Fargo is at Gastropub. The best drunk chili-cheese fries are at the Turf.

Yep, the Gastropub has great chili. Actually the chili at the TNT diner in West Fargo is pretty good.

clenz
May 16th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Hawkeyes are 20 in the Athlon preseason poll

McNeese72
May 16th, 2016, 11:14 AM
It may not be one of the best FCS-FBS games but McNeese's game in Lafayette with USL/ULL/U "whatever the L they call themselves this week"L ought to be a fun in front of an overflow house like it was in 2007. USL/ULL/whatever has historically been McNeese's most bitter rival even though they consider themselves above us now. Hopefully, we can repeat the 2007 result.

Need to warm up the old cheer, "Go to Hell, USL, go to hell" Rinse and repeat with the frats adding "eat ****" in between each repeat. ULL fits the cheer, too.

No offense, Emory, I an old fart and remember the old rivalry. Nothing personal.

Doc