PDA

View Full Version : Big South Football questions

aceinthehole
May 7th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Looking at the following, I had a few questions and was wondering if there were any updates or rumors out there:

2016 Big South Football (4 members +2 associates)
1. Charleston Southern
2. Gardner-Webb
3. Liberty
4. Presbyterian
5. Kennesaw State (A-Sun)
6. Monmouth (MAAC)

2016 Pioneer Football League (11 football members)
1. Butler (Big East)
2. Campbell (Big South)
3. Davidson (A-10)
4. Dayton (A-10)
5. Drake (Missouri Valley)
6. Jacksonville (A-Sun)
7. Marist (MAAC)
8. Morehead (OVC)
9. San Diego (WCC)
10. Stetson (A-Sun)
11. Valparaiso (Horizon)

----

Kennesaw State is the only A-Sun football program playing scholarship football, while Jacksonville and Stetson play in the non-scholly PFL.

Does Kennesaw State have any plans to join the Big South as a full member?

Both Austin Peay (OVC) and Mercer (SoCon) have left the PFL to offer scholarship football in their respective conferences.

Does Campbell have any plans to offer schollys and play football in the Big South?

SU DOG
May 7th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I think you will see Campbell in the Big South for football soon. I don't know anything definite time-wise, but I do personally know both the AD and the President. The move just makes too much sense, and Campbell has recently become very aggressive in its athletics.

Corn_3024
May 7th, 2016, 01:33 PM
As a Kennesaw State fan I'm very curious to see where the Big South ends up. With Coastal leaving (assuming the stadium issues get worked out) and two associate members they could be in danger of losing the automatic bid quickly. I can't imagine Kennesaw could consider making it a full time home unless other teams join soon.

Libertine
May 8th, 2016, 01:07 AM
From what I understand, Campbell is interested in adding scholarship football but are a looooooong way from being prepared to pay for it.

stillabrave
May 8th, 2016, 09:48 AM
A year ago I thought West Georgia was ready to make the move; now I don't know. Enrollment last fall was about 12,800 but university leadership has said it needs to be at 15K in order to generate enough SA fees to support D1 sports. Additionally we have a really bad AD who is not capable of guiding us through the transition and certainly not afterward.

We have, for the most part, top-notch facilities and have made great strides in the last two years in the overall competitiveness of our men's and women's programs. But there is still a large deficit in totally funding all sports. Maybe an "angel" will come forward and help us clear the financial hurdle. Then all we'll need is a good AD. My fingers are crossed.........but I'm not holding my breath.