PDA

View Full Version : Harbaugh to Stanford

griz37
December 18th, 2006, 07:15 PM
ESPN's Rod Gilmore, a Stanford alum, is reporting that San Diego HC Jim Harbaugh will be named the new Stanford coach.

Sorry no link, just saw it on the ESPN2 bottom line.

GOTOREROS
December 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Yes - I can confirm this news. Just spoke with football staff about an hour and half ago. Good for Harbaugh - hope he does well at the "Farm".

Peems
December 18th, 2006, 07:21 PM
i had hoped hauck would get the job.

McNeese75
December 18th, 2006, 07:37 PM
ESPN's Rod Gilmore, a Stanford alum, is reporting that San Diego HC Jim Harbaugh will be named the new Stanford coach.

Sorry no link, just saw it on the ESPN2 bottom line.

Rod Gilmore, what a friggin joke :cool:

Luck to Harbaugh

aggie6thman
December 18th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Wow. This is huge. Hope he doesn't try to run the score up on anyone there, it might come back to haunt him. What now for USD? What does that say about stanfurd, going to get a mid major coach who has 4 years of coaching experience? Yikes, stanfurd is in some serious trouble.

griz8791
December 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
I like the poster at the Stanford message board who sincerely asks whether Stanford should "go div 2-a." He figures this makes sense because their basketball and baseball teams can't compete anymore. No kidding, "Div 2-a." This is what we are up against.

ngineer
December 18th, 2006, 07:56 PM
Wow. This is huge. Hope he doesn't try to run the score up on anyone there, it might come back to haunt him. What now for USD? What does that say about stanfurd, going to get a mid major coach who has 4 years of coaching experience? Yikes, stanfurd is in some serious trouble.

I dare say that the "Harbaugh" name had something to do with it and the NFL family connection. Goes toward recruiting and name recognition. Not to discount his worth, as I believe he was a worthy candidate; but in all things being equal, schools like some name recognition to point to. Stanford is a tough place to coach and recruit. Has similar problems Northwestern has in the Big Ten. I wish him all the luck and success, as I've always thought Stanford to be one of the classier schools in 'big time' football.

DetroitFlyer
December 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
At USD, the word was that Harbaugh was getting at least a few kids to give up scholarship offers at other schools to come and play at USD. I have to think that with 85 scholarships and his NFL connections, he will be able to recruit some good players. I also think he is a great coach and had the ability to get the most out of his players. I hope he turns Stanford around and demonstrates that you can win both on the field and in the classroom! Good luck to Jim Harbaugh. Stanford's gain is a big loss for USD, the PFL and FCS.

griz8791
December 18th, 2006, 08:01 PM
I'm glad it's over.

Col Hogan
December 18th, 2006, 08:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2701748

ToreroTime
December 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
USD will be fine for a while because they have a lot of young talent and if most of the coaching staff stays then most of the kids will feel comfortable. Hopefully Coach Drevno (Off. Cordinator) will take over.

aggie6thman
December 18th, 2006, 08:26 PM
At USD, the word was that Harbaugh was getting at least a few kids to give up scholarship offers at other schools to come and play at USD. I have to think that with 85 scholarships and his NFL connections, he will be able to recruit some good players. I also think he is a great coach and had the ability to get the most out of his players. I hope he turns Stanford around and demonstrates that you can win both on the field and in the classroom! Good luck to Jim Harbaugh. Stanford's gain is a big loss for USD, the PFL and FCS.

With all due respect, stanfurd has a little tougher requirements than USD. Their admissions office is beyond strict. Should be interesting to see what is going to happen.

elkmcc
December 18th, 2006, 08:43 PM
I'm glad it's over.

And a selfish part of me is glad that BH didn't get the job. I would have been glad for Bobby if he had been chosen. My worry now is that the Griz might lose their DC, Craig Paulson. This guy was responsible for almost all that was good about the Griz this season.

griz37
December 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
And a selfish part of me is glad that BH didn't get the job. I would have been glad for Bobby if he had been chosen. My worry now is that the Griz might lose their DC, Craig Paulson. This guy was responsible for almost all that was good about the Griz this season.

I don't think Paulson is going anywhere. When he came back to Missoula after being let go at Utah St, he sounded like was sorry he had ever left the Griz to begin with. :twocents:

ereiz03
December 18th, 2006, 08:56 PM
USD will still be very good next season, but beyond that....we'll see.

aggie6thman
December 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
I don't think Paulson is going anywhere. When he came back to Missoula after being let go at Utah St, he sounded like was sorry he had ever left the Griz to begin with. :twocents:

Much like David Cutcliffe at Tennessee. He left to coach at Ole Miss, then went back to the Vols and turned them around this year.

redbirdtim
December 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Harbaugh did do well at USD, but will be very, very interesting to see if he can do it at Stanford.

Mr. C
December 18th, 2006, 09:56 PM
How classy. So Jim Harbaugh skips The Sports Network banquet on Thursday night, where his team was receiving The Sports Network Cup, and sends some assistant (who spent all of about 30 seconds making his statement from the podium) to pick up the hardware. All so he could continue his job search. Good riddance to this self-promoting, headline grabber.

aggie6thman
December 18th, 2006, 10:27 PM
How classy. So Jim Harbaugh skips The Sports Network banquet on Thursday night, where his team was receiving The Sports Network Cup, and sends some assistant (who spent all of about 30 seconds making his statement from the podium) to pick up the hardware. All so he could continue his job search. Good riddance to this self-promoting, headline grabber.

Maybe he was in the tank sobering up again and was not allowed to attend?:rotateh: :rotateh:

ereiz03
December 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM
You guys love to bash anything related to USD, don't you?

rmutv
December 18th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Well, when the coach makes it so easy...it's hard not to resist.

Actually, the USD bashing should subside some soon because of Harbaugh leaving. The team is quite talented, but they were run by an egotistical coach. That always leaves a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

griz37
December 18th, 2006, 10:36 PM

Yeah how selfish. Trying to improve himself by going from a non-scholly I-AA team to a PAC-10 school. xidiotx Isn't the trophy more about the team than the coach anyways?

PSUVikings
December 18th, 2006, 10:38 PM
to sad.....

December 18th, 2006, 10:40 PM
Yeah how selfish. Trying to improve himself by going from a non-scholly I-AA team to a PAC-10 school. Isn't the trophy more about the team than the coach anyways?So are you saying the entire team should have been flown out to Chatty? :rolleyes: No, the head coach always accepts the trophy for the team and Jimbo was too busy to attend for the team. That's called selfish. There's no I in team but there is in Jimbo. xcoffeex

Mr. C
December 18th, 2006, 10:49 PM
Yeah how selfish. Trying to improve himself by going from a non-scholly I-AA team to a PAC-10 school. xidiotx Isn't the trophy more about the team than the coach anyways?
Every team that has won The Sports Network Cup has had its head coach show up to receive the trophy ... until Thursday night. The TSN people were not sure who was even going to accept the trophy well into the ceremony. The San Diego group (an assistant coach and one player) didn't even show up until well after the banquet had started. They were scrambling around to figure out who was going to accept the trophy for awhile. At one point, PFL Commissioner Patty Viverito was the only person even connected to the PFL that was in the room.

griz37
December 18th, 2006, 10:53 PM
So are you saying the entire team should have been flown out to Chatty? :rolleyes: No, the head coach always accepts the trophy for the team and Jimbo was too busy to attend for the team. That's called selfish. There's no I in team but there is in Jimbo. xcoffeex

I didn't say any such thing. :nono: I just don't think it matters who accepts the trophy.

It kills me when fans, many Montana fans are included in this, get indignant because their coach is looking at higher profile/paying jobs. Coaches are competitors just like athletes & want to reach the top of their proffession. I wouldn't want anything less from the coach of my team.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Every team that has won The Sports Network Cup has had its head coach show up to receive the trophy ... until Thursday night. The TSN people were not sure who was even going to accept the trophy well into the ceremony. The San Diego group (an assistant coach and one player) didn't even show up until well after the banquet had started. They were scrambling around to figure out who was going to accept the trophy for awhile. At one point, PFL Commissioner Patty Viverito was the only person even connected to the PFL that was in the room.

And we all know how much those PFL folks on this board like Patty V...;)

rmutv
December 18th, 2006, 10:58 PM

That DEFINITELY would have ruffled some feathers. :rotateh:

DUPFLFan
December 18th, 2006, 11:18 PM

You got that right..:bang:

Good for Harbaugh. It's tough to stay with a position where you have no chance to go to the playoffs and your commissioner is busy touting her other conference...

At least if he goes 11-1 at Stanford, he will get a postseason shot.

CopperCat
December 18th, 2006, 11:34 PM
i had hoped hauck would get the job.

Why would you hope Hauck would leave? He has UM rolling right now, and next year looks promising for ya'll, especially w/that one guy coming back.....

ucdavisaggie05
December 19th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Check out the latest from the San Jose Mercury News:

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2006/12/18/stanford-hires-jim-harbaugh-are-you-kidding-me/

So you might be asking yourself: Why is Harbaugh qualified to coach Stanford?

Well, I’ll tell you: Last month, San Diego lost to UC-Davis — Harbaugh is perfectly qualified for his new job!!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

December 19th, 2006, 01:08 AM
... At least if he goes 11-1 at Stanford, he will get a postseason shot.He will if he even gets stunferd to go 6-6. Happy trails to you... Jack will not join you. : smh :

DetroitFlyer
December 19th, 2006, 07:42 AM
If anyone can be successful at Stanford, it is Jim Harbaugh. Stanford needs his confidence to change the mindset of the team. I think it is safe to say that Stanford will not be losing to UCD while Jim is there. USD took a chance on Harbaugh and it paid off well. As Jim found out however, coaching in a league with a poor, part time commish, and in a division that is only interested in taking care of its own, leaves a lot to be desired. Stanford will be the next school to reap the rewards of taking a chance on Jim Harbaugh! Jim Harbaugh has moved up because he gets results. I for one, will not be suprised to see him reach his goal of coaching a Super Bowl Champion one day! Good luck to him and much success at Stanford. Hopefully, USD can find a worthy replacement!

GoGuins
December 19th, 2006, 08:02 AM
Oh wait, a FCS coach can't move up and coach at the next level! At least that's what the Ohio State fans were crying when Tressel was hired

GoGuins
December 19th, 2006, 08:03 AM
Oh wait, a FCS coach can't move up and coach at the next level!:rolleyes: At least that's what the Ohio State fans were crying when Tressel was hired

Good Luck to Harbaugh

JMG1MON
December 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM
At least if he goes 11-1 at Stanford, he will get a postseason shot.

Tell that to Michigan, Louisville, Wisconsin, and Boise State. They get a bowl game, not a legit shot at the national championship.

Heck, technically, Harbaugh had a postseason game this year (Gridiron Classic).

Footix
December 19th, 2006, 08:10 AM
Tell that to Michigan, Louisville, Wisconsin, and Boise State. They get a bowl game, not a legit shot at the national championship.

Do you really think he has a legit shot at a national championship at USD? C'mon be realistic.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 08:14 AM
It kills me when fans, many Montana fans are included in this, get indignant because their coach is looking at higher profile/paying jobs. Coaches are competitors just like athletes & want to reach the top of their proffession. I wouldn't want anything less from the coach of my team.
I also wouldn't want my new coach to blow off his current team like they never existed. I'd want my new coach to show up and receive an award he and his team earned together to show his players and coaches and school that he respects them and wasn't just using them to further his own career. I see Harbaugh act like this and it makes me wonder how fast he'll dump my school if a better job offer comes along.

He's a self-serving jack-ass. Good luck Stanfurd, don't turn your back.

henfan
December 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
As Jim found out however, coaching in a ...division that is only interested in taking care of its own, leaves a lot to be desired.

That's another chestnut, Flyer. Yeah, like the bowl subdivision has ever been interested in anything except protecting its own wealth and power, at the expense of non-BCS I-A and I-AA leagues. xidiotx

Harbaugh was clearly one of biggest self-promoters in the history of I-AA. He'll be an apt fit for the world of NFL-AA (a/k/a the BS.) At least we won't have to hear from that clown anymore. Consider it his holiday gift to the CS. :thumbsup:

That said, best of luck to USD in finding a replacement.

Pard4Life
December 19th, 2006, 08:45 AM
Why would people be clamoring for Stanford going to Division 2? Why is it said they can't compete? They were one of the undefeated teams in the nation heading into the last weeks of 2003... they captured numerous top seeds in the late 90s and early 2000s.... their football team was in the Rose Bowl in 1999 or 2000 I believe. I'm sure this is just a prolonged funk.

Pard4Life
December 19th, 2006, 08:46 AM

Heck, technically, Harbaugh had a postseason game this year (Gridiron Classic).

If you go 11-1 in the Pac10, that means you beat Notre Dame... or lost to UND and beat USC.. the chances are very likely that one would be going to the BCS Bowl or the Rose Bowl...

Lehigh Football Nation
December 19th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Why do I have a recurring vision of Jim in the preseason, boasting to the San Jose Mercury-Times, that he could lick half of the BS Top 25? Hope he has a change of tactics now that he'll have the honor of playing USC, Oregon and Cal every year.

Let's call this what it is: Jim Harbaugh used USD to hop his way up to another job, and he was successful. It's abundantly clear that his first interest wasn't USD, the playoffs, or Pioneer football. His first interest is Jim Harbaugh, plain and simple.

Any of you Pioneer fans that are wishing him luck in his new job simply makes me laugh. He's done more to damage your conference in one year than any coach has during their entire career. You had better hope that USD's next AD/Head coach combination is a bridge-builder, not a bridge-burner.

TexasTerror
December 19th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Got to love it!

* Harbaugh was 29-6 at USD, but he repeatedly refused to schedule the best I-AA teams in California. He did not play Poly, he did not play Sacramento State, and his only tango with Davis was a loss. Instead, he feasted on the lowest of the low in I-AA.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2006/12/18/stanford-hires-jim-harbaugh-are-you-kidding-me/

dbackjon
December 19th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Got to love it!

* Harbaugh was 29-6 at USD, but he repeatedly refused to schedule the best I-AA teams in California. He did not play Poly, he did not play Sacramento State, and his only tango with Davis was a loss. Instead, he feasted on the lowest of the low in I-AA.

xlolx xlolx

good luck to San Diego - hope you get a better coach.

DUPFLFan
December 19th, 2006, 09:51 AM
You had better hope that USD's next AD/Head coach combination is a bridge-builder, not a bridge-burner.

Bridge to what? The post season? The playoffs? xlolx

Yeah right...

DetroitFlyer
December 19th, 2006, 10:03 AM
What in the world are you drinking? Explain to me how Jim Harbaugh has damaged the PFL? We have been in I-AA for 14 seasons and have never been invited to the playoffs. At least Harbaugh was able to make the old guard of I-AA a bit uncomfortable and help to point out a few things about I-AA that could be improved! Frankly, the way I see it, the more folks that Jim Harbaugh annoyed on this forum, the better!!!!! :hurray:

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
What in the world are you drinking? Explain to me how Jim Harbaugh has damaged the PFL? We have been in I-AA for 14 seasons and have never been invited to the playoffs. At least Harbaugh was able to make the old guard of I-AA a bit uncomfortable and help to point out a few things about I-AA that could be improved! Frankly, the way I see it, the more folks that Jim Harbaugh annoyed on this forum, the better!!!!! :hurray:
:boring:

griz8791
December 19th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Why would people be clamoring for Stanford going to Division 2? Why is it said they can't compete? They were one of the undefeated teams in the nation heading into the last weeks of 2003... they captured numerous top seeds in the late 90s and early 2000s.... their football team was in the Rose Bowl in 1999 or 2000 I believe. I'm sure this is just a prolonged funk.

I didn't intend to suggest there was any clamoring. It was just one morose guy on their message board who apparently thought the division below Pac-10 level ball is called "Div 2-A." I'm just struck by the ignorance. The guy cares enough about Stanford football to post on their message board but knows absolutely nothing about the rest of the college football landscape. It's as if to the rest of American society, FCS is some obscure branch of knowledge like early-Baroque outhouse architecture or motorcycle carburetor performance.

I don't really expect the rest of the world to care about FCS but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to know what it is.

putter
December 19th, 2006, 10:35 AM

The funny thing is Detroit, if you played UCD in the beginning of the year and won, beat Yale like you did, you would have had a lot of respect on this board and there would not have been the USD bashing. The "Old Guard", as you see it, wants the best teams in the playoffs and if San Diego schedules like it should they would gladly invite them to the playoffs. Stop talking like it could never happen. In 14 years you have not had the program to make the playoffs but now you have started in the right direction so keep it up.

PantherRob82
December 19th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I'm sure there is a lot of grumbling over this hire at Stanford.

SDFan
December 19th, 2006, 12:04 PM
The funny thing is Detroit, if you played UCD in the beginning of the year and won, beat Yale like you did, you would have had a lot of respect on this board and there would not have been the USD bashing. The "Old Guard", as you see it, wants the best teams in the playoffs and if San Diego schedules like it should they would gladly invite them to the playoffs. Stop talking like it could never happen. In 14 years you have not had the program to make the playoffs but now you have started in the right direction so keep it up.

So is that you saying you didn't endorse Montana State entering the playoffs?

Good Luck Coach Harbaugh. And he only had 2 years to try to schedule people and he did up it with UC davis, so the writer of that article should probably shove it. Also, from rumors sounds like he amped up next year's schedule as well.

December 19th, 2006, 12:14 PM
"So you might be asking yourself: Why is Harbaugh qualified to coach Stanford?
Well, I’ll tell you: Last month, San Diego lost to UC-Davis — Harbaugh is perfectly qualified for his new job!!!!"

putter
December 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM
So is that you saying you didn't endorse Montana State entering the playoffs?

Good Luck Coach Harbaugh. And he only had 2 years to try to schedule people and he did up it with UC davis, so the writer of that article should probably shove it. Also, from rumors sounds like he amped up next year's schedule as well.

A 7-4 Montana St was on the bubble and it could have gone either way but they played 10 games against division I competition in top CS conferences. You played 1 during the season and 1 after the season. I wished Harbaugh luck also.

So is that you saying that USD didn't deserve the playoff birth because he only had 2 years to schedule? I though you guys have been doing this for 14 years?

Foosball
December 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM
I happen to like Harbaugh and what he has done in raising the recognition for USD football. However, I've always been troubled that he has been the face of USD football in press releases, articles, etc. Case in point - USD's web site proudly proclaims that Harbaugh is leaving.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121906aaa.html

Jim Harbaugh To Be Introduced As Stanford's New Head Coach Today
Compiled a 29-6 Record in three years at USD

Dec. 19, 2006

Jim Harbaugh, who directed the University of San Diego football team the past three years, will be announced as Stanford's new head coach this afternoon at a 2:00 p.m. press conference at Stanford University. During his three years at USD, Harbaugh compiled a 29-6 record, and over the past two seasons was 22-2. He guided USD to back-to-back Pioneer Football League titles; two straight 11-1 campaigns; and two I-AA Mid-Major national championships. This past year's team finished ranked No. 20 in the final The Sports Network I-AA Top 25 Poll; won the inaugural Gridiron Classic with a 27-7 win over Monmouth; and built an 18-game winning streak.

"We are excited for Jim Harbaugh and his new opportunity at Stanford, stated Ky Snyder, USD Executive Director of Athletics. "Jim, the coaching staff and the players have done a tremendous job in representing our university and athletic department. We wish Jim the best in his new position at Stanford. We are now focused on hiring a new head coach at USD."

MarkCCU
December 19th, 2006, 04:11 PM
congrats to him

Ivytalk
December 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Is it a coincidence that Michelle Wie will be going there as well? Maybe she can straighten out Harbaugh's putter...:p

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Is it a coincidence that Michelle Wie will be going there as well? Maybe she can straighten out Harbaugh's putter...:p

Uh, I don't get it.xlolx

Peems
December 19th, 2006, 04:22 PM
Why would you hope Hauck would leave? He has UM rolling right now, and next year looks promising for ya'll, especially w/that one guy coming back.....

i just want phen phen gone.

bcrawf
December 19th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Two things--

1) It shows how overrated Bowlsby is as an athletic director (He was at UNI--Late 80's Early 90's) With the exception of the Ferentz hire he always goes for the "big name hire" (See Steve Alford)

2) Harbaugh will leave the program worse than he found it (Yes it IS possible) You can't turn over a Pac 10 program to a guy that has only coached for 3 years, no matter how successful his father was or the pro career he had. HORRIBLE HIRE TREES!!

ngineer
December 19th, 2006, 06:17 PM

"...In the hole!!!!"...:D

GOKATS
December 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
I happen to like Harbaugh and what he has done in raising the recognition for USD football. However, I've always been troubled that he has been the face of USD football in press releases, articles, etc. Case in point - USD's web site proudly proclaims that Harbaugh is leaving.

http://usdtoreros.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/121906aaa.html

Jim Harbaugh To Be Introduced As Stanford's New Head Coach Today
Compiled a 29-6 Record in three years at USD

Dec. 19, 2006

Jim Harbaugh, who directed the University of San Diego football team the past three years, will be announced as Stanford's new head coach this afternoon at a 2:00 p.m. press conference at Stanford University. During his three years at USD, Harbaugh compiled a 29-6 record, and over the past two seasons was 22-2. He guided USD to back-to-back Pioneer Football League titles; two straight 11-1 campaigns; and two I-AA Mid-Major national championships. This past year's team finished ranked No. 20 in the final The Sports Network I-AA Top 25 Poll; won the inaugural Gridiron Classic with a 27-7 win over Monmouth; and built an 18-game winning streak.

"We are excited for Jim Harbaugh and his new opportunity at Stanford, stated Ky Snyder, USD Executive Director of Athletics. "Jim, the coaching staff and the players have done a tremendous job in representing our university and athletic department. We wish Jim the best in his new position at Stanford. We are now focused on hiring a new head coach at USD."

The above stats show it all- great W/L records against nobodies. USD probably shouldn't have been in the Top 25.