PDA

View Full Version : Should there be an * next to App's NC?

D1B
December 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
Afterall, they did not have to play against the best team in the nation - North Dakota State. What do yall think?

Sorry if this was discussed before, I've been out of action for a couple weeks.

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2006, 04:41 PM
NO! Appalachian State did what was required of it and it would be idiotic to even suggest an asteric. North Dakota State wasnt eligible for the playoffs thats that!

Mountaineer
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2752/dontfeedtrollkj8.gif

GSUISBACK
HELL NO

DuckDuckGriz
December 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Absolutely not. First of all -- you don't know that NDSU was the best team in the nation. It's not their fault they didn't get to be in the playoffs but at this point it's ony speculation to see how well they would have done.

Plus -- why would something like an asterisk be placed to deminish ASU's title? ASU proved themselves and NDSU couldn't. End of story. This is not the BCS. Say, for instance, UMass - who was undefated in I-AA - did not get to be in the playoffs for some odd reason. Would you do the same thing?

JDC325
December 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Afterall, they did not have to play against the best team in the nation - North Dakota State. What do yall think?

xcoffeex

putter
December 18th, 2006, 04:49 PM
And I thought D1B was going to get away from posting politics and do something related to football....;) xlolx

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
I'm suprised to see D1B on the football board. :D

MYTAPPY
December 18th, 2006, 04:51 PM
Your right lets just give back our SoCon and National Champ trophys.

:splat:

December 18th, 2006, 04:52 PM
... I've been out of action for a couple weeks.You mean a couple days (or were all those posts a mirage?) you rabble rouser. :) NDSU was as eligible as your fave Wisconsin was for the 2006 NCAA Division I Football Championship.

grizfan86
December 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Yikes!! Did you watch the game the other night? ASU wasn't playing GSU or SDSU, they were playing the 3rd ranked team in the country, and they won. ASU was an extremely impressive team. *s are for baseball stats and champions who are voted champion. Maybe NDSU was the best team and sorry they couldn't try to prove it, but look at who both ASU and UMASS had to play and beat. *s don't belong in playoffs.

Bison05
December 18th, 2006, 05:36 PM
Even as a Bison fan, there is no way that there should be an asterick by ASU. They did what they were supposed to, they won the championship on the field.

gsuwinsudont
December 18th, 2006, 05:38 PM
Having seen both teams this year that would have been one hell of a game. No clue who would have won. That said ASU was the *ish this year. They are downright scary for years to come. Well deserved championship this year!

BrevardMountaineer03
December 18th, 2006, 06:23 PM
If there was an * for this, then there would have to be an * for all championships won when a starter was hurt for the losing team. That is kind of ridiculous. ASU went 4-0 in the playoffs, which determines the National Champion. I am sorry that NDSU couldn't make the playoffs, they would have been a asset to the system, but they couldn't, we didn't make the rules, we just followed them and won. (And I would say the same thing if any other team had won on Friday night.)

james_lawfirm
December 18th, 2006, 07:28 PM
PUH-LEEEEEZZZZ

blukeys
December 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM

I think someone with a very ornery streak is having fun with the rest of us!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Remember D1B is closely related to Cap'n Cat and in this case just might be seeing how everyone reacts.

For the record ASU's accomplishments need no asterisk. But I can hear a couple of guys in a Wisconsin fishing boat laughing their @sses off at the rest of us.!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

FargoBison
December 18th, 2006, 07:58 PM
I keep preaching speed wins, and we saw that on Friday. UMass had lots of speed, and that's why they came so close and gave our defense so much trouble with Baylark and their 6'6" WRs. I haven't ever seen any NDSU video but I'm just guessing their speed isn't anywhere close to UMass's. I maybe wrong but it's a pretty educated guess that they aren't burning teams week in and week out.

From what I have seen this year speed is overated, GSU fans said NDSU doesn't have the athletes to beat us and that game was a blowout. Minnesota and Ball St fans said the same things and NDSU dominated everything but the score against Minnesota and put up 500+ yards of offense on Ball St. NDSU vs App St would have been a heck of game in my mind. That said App St is definately #1 and you'll get no arguement from me about that.

BlueHen86
December 18th, 2006, 07:59 PM
I think we should just name ASU and NDSU cochampions.;)
xlolx

Col Hogan
December 18th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Did I miss something? Didn't Appy beat my beloved UMass for the CHAMPIONSHIP? No! No! No!

bobbythekidd
December 18th, 2006, 08:17 PM
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/2752/dontfeedtrollkj8.gif
D1B spends more time thinking up questions to get people in a tizzy than anything else. He needs to get a hobby.:nod:
None of us wrote the rules, all of us followed them. I wish NDSU had a shot, but I predict they will in 2009.

Tailbone
December 18th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Christmas is the season for fantasy & nuts.

This season we've had plenty of both. ;)

appsfan
December 18th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Asterisk? LOL, as you can't be serious.xidiotx

YOsef
December 18th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Barry Bonds = *
Appalachian State = 2006 Champions

BigApp
December 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM
should we have an asterisk beside our SoCon championships too? I mean, GaSouthern was down, and Marshall isn't in our league anymore...:rolleyes:

Block-A
December 18th, 2006, 09:19 PM
goasu.com is reporting that Chancellor Peacock and Charlie Cobb are headed to North Dakota this week to present NDSU with the 2006 trophy, sort of as a Christmas present, but mostly because they felt NDSU really deserved it more. Reportedly, UMass is OK with being runner-runner-up, and all the other playoff teams don't seem to mind being bumped down one more notch.

Really.

GSU Eagle
December 18th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Yes Appalachian should go ahead and give the trophy to North Dakota St. Obviously they would have won the championship this year and it was only because they were denied entrance to the playoffs that Appalachian luckily won the championship.

Furthermore all know that since Georgia Southern faded into oblivion this year the SoCon was not strong so Appalachian did not have to play well at all to win the hapless Southern Conference this year.

Furthermore Appalachian St. was given a cakewalk to the championship this year by getting 3 home games vs. less-than-the-top teams to get to the championship game. Massachusetts was tired after having to go to Montana and then to Chattanooga in back-to-back weeks, so Appalachian obviously beat a travel weary team in Chattanooga.

All things considered Appalachian was lucky to have even made the playoffs.

Does this sound ridiculous-- about as ridiculous as saying the championship should be tainted with an asterisk.

walliver
December 18th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Of course ASU should have an "*" since NDSU wasn't invited.

In fact their 2005 Championship should have a * too, since Youngstown State wasn't invited.

Further, JMU's 2004 team should have a * since no Big South or GWFC team was invited.

Same thing for Delaware in 2003.

Likewise give WKU a * in 2002 since Wofford (ranked higher in the final Sports Network regular season poll) wasn't invited.

I'm sure something bad happened in 2001 also.

igo4uni
December 18th, 2006, 10:44 PM
I think someone with a very ornery streak is having fun with the rest of us!!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Remember D1B is closely related to Cap'n Cat and in this case just might be seeing how everyone reacts.

For the record ASU's accomplishments need no asterisk. But I can hear a couple of guys in a Wisconsin fishing boat laughing their @sses off at the rest of us.!!!!:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Yes, Cap'n likes to "get that Conk blood ta' boilin'!!!"

BigApp
December 18th, 2006, 10:47 PM
it has to be something above the level of "stupid" to get my blood boiling. In this case, my BP dropped.

BEAR
December 18th, 2006, 10:56 PM
I think App should have an asterisk next to their title also. I mean they didn't play the best team in the nation...you know UCA.....who cares if we weren't eligible....yeah, that's it :nod: ...yeah :nod: ...:eyebrow:

What a freakin stupid statement. xidiotx xcoffeex

appfan2008
December 18th, 2006, 11:22 PM
This thread is stupid...
ASU did what they had to do... and beat who was placed in front of them...
It is not their fault NDSU wasnt in the bracket!

Gil Dobie
December 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM
This thread is stupid...

Agree! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Umass74
December 19th, 2006, 08:27 AM
This thread is stupid...
ASU did what they had to do... and beat who was placed in front of them...
It is not their fault NDSU wasnt in the bracket!

Amen! Appalachian beat everybody they could play. The great thing about our division is you can't duck anyone.

After seeing them play in person, I think the Mountaneers would have been willing to play NDSU...

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 08:28 AM

xlolx

BDK@YSU
December 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Every team should play every other FCS team in a 3-year long, year-round round robin style tournament. We'll keep it at one game a week with some byes thrown in there. Personally I would like to see the baseball model with one game nearly every day so we can get it done in a year and avoid any tricky situations like players graduating in the middle of a season.

Then after a grueling regular season, the 64 teams (seeded by record) with the best records make the playoffs and we settle it from there with a double elimination tournament. Or triple elimination, you know, whatever floats your boat.

When, not if, we do this, then:
1. we never have to hear about one conference getting too many/not enough teams in
2. teams that deserve a shot at the championship will get a shot
3. football every single week? Where do I sign up.

</crazy>

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Every team should play every other FCS team in a 3-year long, year-round round robin style tournament. We'll keep it at one game a week with some byes thrown in there. Personally I would like to see the baseball model with one game nearly every day so we can get it done in a year and avoid any tricky situations like players graduating in the middle of a season.

Then after a grueling regular season, the 64 teams (seeded by record) with the best records make the playoffs and we settle it from there with a double elimination tournament. Or triple elimination, you know, whatever floats your boat.

1. we never have to hear about one conference getting too many/not enough teams in

</crazy>
I like the football every single day idea! :hurray: :D

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2006, 08:42 AM

</crazy>

Don't forget that we'll have to throw out any kind of pesky NCAA rules involvng switching divisions.

Also, I will vote team number 65 as my national champion. By the end of the tournament, they will have moved so far up without playing (by teams losing, etc.) it will be justified!!xlolx xlolx

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

You're kidding aren't you. There's always one or more teams waiting to be eligible. What do you want an asterik by every champion's name???

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM

</crazy>

Great parody, BDK. :hurray:

bison95
December 19th, 2006, 09:29 AM
This has to be the funniest thread in AGS history:nod: :nod: D1B is my new hero:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 09:33 AM
This has to be the funniest thread in AGS history:nod: :nod: D1B is my new hero:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

DinoDex200
December 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Personally, I think any team that won the NC before NDSU was eligible for it should have an asterisk next to their name. Sorry, '83 Southern Illinois. :D

Appstate29
December 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM
Of course there should be an asterisk next to Apps 2nd Nat'l championship, and right beside that asterisk should be a few words here is i suggest:

Appalachian State University- 2006 Division I National Champions*(Bad Ass Mother*******)

what do you think?

andy7171
December 19th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Of course there should be an asterisk next to Apps 2nd Nat'l championship, and right beside that asterisk should be a few words here is i suggest:

Appalachian State University- 2006 Division I National Champions*(Bad Ass Mother*******)

what do you think?
From what I saw last Friday night, I agree.

spelunker64
December 19th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Anyone else notice that all these threads that turn anti-NDSU are not started or even fueled by NDSU fans or posters...?

:twocents:

AmsterBison
December 19th, 2006, 11:51 AM
I think there should be an "!" after App's championship win... no, make that a "!!".

Having a good season is one thing (like NDSU) but winning four in the playoffs is a whole different level.

Go Bison
December 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Anyone else notice that all these threads that turn anti-NDSU are not started or even fueled by NDSU fans or posters...?

:twocents:

Yeah, that is pretty sad.

Cap'n Cat
December 19th, 2006, 01:20 PM

LMAO!!!!!

I'm remembering a poll long ago about AGS' most sensitive posters...and we all thought it was Youngstown!!

Re: laughing in a boat in Wisconsin - you're right!!!!!! Christmas weekend, Mississippi River Lock & Dam #5; Cap'n Cat and D1B, launching out of Alma, WI!

http://www.harrisburginn.com/lockanddam.jpg

Open water, river is low, walleye biting like muvs in the wing dams!!

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

KiddBrewer
December 19th, 2006, 02:05 PM
:rotateh: :bang: xidiotx ha yea boone town officials told me today that they were going to be placing an (*) beside the new signs they are putting up when you enter the town. out of respect for the almighty NDSU, and they were still considering putting two *'s because they didnt beat USD. no word on that yet.

Sir William
December 19th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Speaking for myself (and probably the rest of the SoCon, outside of App), I am looking forward to May of 2010, when Edwards graduates!

Congrats App. You deserve every bit of it. :hurray:

Proud Griz Man
December 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM

Out of action? Were you holed up in a snow cave? :nod:

D1B
December 19th, 2006, 03:06 PM
You fukers love me!!

Happy Holidays to yall. Congrats Appy! Indeed!

Cap'n Cat
December 19th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Speaking for myself (and probably the rest of the SoCon, outside of App), I am looking forward to May of 2010, when Edwards graduates!

:confused: :confused:

Hundred bux says he doesn't. Should read, "uses up his eligibility". No smack, just guessing.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

Black and Gold Express
December 19th, 2006, 04:04 PM
:confused: :confused:

Hundred bux says he doesn't. Should read, "uses up his eligibility". No smack, just guessing.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx : smh : : smh : : smh : : smh :

You know what, I'll take you on that bet. Seriously. This kid's got his head on straight, and since people don't jump ship from I-AA to the pros early, that's not a factor. I would not be surprised in the least to win this bet if you're willing to pony up.

KiddBrewer
December 19th, 2006, 04:07 PM

Congrats App. You deserve every bit of it. :hurray:

ha true enough, but i do believe i remember a time when everybody in the SoCon outside of App couldnt wait until Richie Williams graduated....if we keep winning, my guess is there will be another Richie/Armanti.....lets hope so, go apps!:)

Cap'n Cat
December 19th, 2006, 04:10 PM
You know what, I'll take you on that bet. Seriously. This kid's got his head on straight, and since people don't jump ship from I-AA to the pros early, that's not a factor. I would not be surprised in the least to win this bet if you're willing to pony up.

I would not be surprised to win, myself, and Im good for it. I can see it in his eyes. He will use up his eligibility and have about 60 hours to go toward a Motorcycle Safety degree. I'll even give him a fifth year. He's not there to get a degree. He goes pro and the bet is off (which helps you).

:D :D :D :D

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 04:12 PM
I would not be surprised to win, myself, and Im good for it. I can see it in his eyes. He will use up his eligibility and have about 60 hours to go toward a Motorcycle Safety degree. I'll even give him a fifth year. He's not there to get a degree. He goes pro and the bet is off (which helps you).

I want in on this bet! AE's going to graduate. No question. :nod:

No_Skill
December 19th, 2006, 06:28 PM
This whole thread needs a giant *

* The thoughts and opinions expressed in this thread in no way reflect those of NDSU or its fans.

Bison05
December 19th, 2006, 06:38 PM
This whole thread needs a giant *

* The thoughts and opinions expressed in this thread in no way reflect those of NDSU or its fans.
:hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree, it seems that App. St. fans, in their hurry to defend their team, have neglected to notice in all of their NDSU bashing, that none of the post advancing the use of an asterick have come from NDSU fans. I noticed this also on their message board. They even state that we started this thread. It is truly pathetic.:nono:

mistersykes
December 19th, 2006, 08:17 PM
:hurray: :hurray: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I agree, it seems that App. St. fans, in their hurry to defend their team, have neglected to notice in all of their NDSU bashing, that none of the post advancing the use of an asterick have come from NDSU fans. I noticed this also on their message board. They even state that we started this thread. It is truly pathetic.:nono:

I doubt that anyone but the dumbest fan actually holds anything against NDSU for the whole situation.

OL FU
December 20th, 2006, 07:51 AM
Without reading the rest of the thread, NO

Black and Gold Express
December 20th, 2006, 08:28 AM

So the stipulations of this are as follows:

Edwards stays all four years and graduates = I win.
Edwards stays all four years and does not graduate = you win. What's your limit on allowing him to finish his degree, just the following spring/summer?
Edwards leaves ASU early for any reason = neither win.

GtFllsGriz
December 20th, 2006, 10:39 AM
I think each playoff should be the best two out of three. We all know that the Griz offense was good for two out of three so that means we would have beat UMass and played in the NC.

Hahahahahahah, Contgrats Appy, you have an awesome team!

ASUSig
December 20th, 2006, 12:36 PM
Hey, NDSU... Once you become eligible for the playoffs, then you can talk smack! Until then, no * beside App. State.. and last I saw on the ranking before the playoffs, App was.. um.. oh.. give me a second... oh yeah #1 so everyone must have thought App. was the best team in the nation. If App. played Mars Hill first to get the first game jitters out of the way, App. could have beated NCSU (yeah D1-A). So enough said, App. was and is the best in the nation right now. Yeah, hows that feel NDSU.. BUUURRRNNNN

Appstate29
December 20th, 2006, 12:38 PM
Love the enthusiasm ASU folks, but you should know this thread is a joke.

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Hey, NDSU... Once you become eligible for the playoffs, then you can talk smack! Until then, no * beside App. State.. and last I saw on the ranking before the playoffs, App was.. um.. oh.. give me a second... oh yeah #1 so everyone must have thought App. was the best team in the nation. If App. played Mars Hill first to get the first game jitters out of the way, App. could have beated NCSU (yeah D1-A). So enough said, App. was and is the best in the nation right now. Yeah, hows that feel NDSU.. BUUURRRNNNN

Who is talking smack from NDSU? App St won the playoffs so they are the National Champs.

bison95
December 20th, 2006, 12:41 PM

Apparently you didn't read this thread or look at who started it:eyebrow: No NDSU fan thinks we should be #1 or have a * by Appy. No smack was spoken, just a bunch of sensitive Appy fans blowing a nut:eek:

tralfangar
December 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Can you um..shall we say shut up if you're going to say things like "beated". You're making us look retarded. Thanks. :thumbsup:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 20th, 2006, 12:45 PM
I have to say this, this thread was not started by any NDSU group/fan. Some people were just asking, I think it was a ridiculous thought, but I am impressed with the way NDSU fans are supporting ASU's National Championship, it's very classy. Good Luck in 2007 and Go App!

semobison
December 20th, 2006, 12:52 PM
Congrats to National Champion App. State. We would have loved to had the oppurtunity to play you.

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
So the stipulations of this are as follows:

Edwards stays all four years and graduates = I win.
Edwards stays all four years and does not graduate = you win. What's your limit on allowing him to finish his degree, just the following spring/summer?
Edwards leaves ASU early for any reason = neither win.

He gets five school years from me. So, he has to graduate by May of 2011.

I hope he does. I'm just playing the odds.

:)

Cap'n Cat
December 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM
And, congrats to ASU from Cap'n Cat, too!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

No_Skill
December 20th, 2006, 06:03 PM

This guy is obviously a freshman bandwagon hopper. He has like 9 posts. Nothing he says will be taken seriously for some time.

JBB
December 21st, 2006, 02:28 PM
Asterisks are used to convey information that might not be readily apparent but are intrinsic to the subject. An annotation to indicate missing information. For instance Roger Maris had more games so the asterisk pointed that out. NDSU wasn't eligible for the playoffs as a matter of routine transition. Its public knowledge. Therefore an asterisk is inappropriate.

FurmanPaladins4138
December 21st, 2006, 10:15 PM

For one thing, App was the best team this year. Hands down. They would have disposed of you easily.
As for your question, I'm sorry, but I really doubt an asterisk deserves to be placed by a national champion because the FCS followed the proper procedure for transitional teams, IMHO.

Appguy
December 21st, 2006, 10:23 PM
This guy is obviously a freshman bandwagon hopper. He has like 9 posts. Nothing he says will be taken seriously for some time.

Nah, hes my frat brother that sometimes says more than he should before reading all the posts.
but you have a point i don't always take him seriously lol buuuuuurrnnn
hahahaha

Bison05
December 21st, 2006, 10:35 PM

For one thing, App was the best team this year. Hands down. They would have disposed of you easily.

I think even he knows that App. St. could beat UNI :nod:

Gil Dobie
December 21st, 2006, 10:40 PM
I think even he knows that App. St. could beat UNI :nod:

Good one Bison05 :bow: :bow: :bow: xlolx

December 22nd, 2006, 03:31 AM
D1B 510, ASU 0

xlolx

FurmanPaladins4138
December 22nd, 2006, 09:10 AM
SO FREAKING HILARIOUS

Black and Gold Express
December 22nd, 2006, 09:11 AM
In my opinion, NDSU would have lost to either ASU or UMass, whomever they faced first in the playoffs. What I did see of the Bison this year reminded me a lot of the ASU teams of the 90's. Good, solid teams that don't beat themselves and will beat many teams with a ball control offense and a solid defense. But both UMass and ASU have team speed NDSU didn't look like they had, and that would be the difference.

We will never know, but that's my opinion on it. I would feel very comfortable calling NDSU the third best team in I-AA this year, but no higher.

asu7
December 22nd, 2006, 10:15 AM
I was so having a bad day at work until I read this thread LOL ... what a gift from the football gods ... now everyone is looking at me funny because I am laughing my ass off ....

THANKS D1B

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

FlyYtown
December 22nd, 2006, 12:40 PM

I'd love to know what the hell you were drinking when you wrote that post.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

RabidRabbit
December 22nd, 2006, 01:06 PM
I'd love to know what the hell you were drinking when you wrote that post.... :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
Come on Fly!!! Rising to the Bait? Man Trout should jump so high xlolx xlolx

Would you really expect something else from Cap'n's bro? :p

As one of NDSU's ardent backer's this year (#1 pre-season) even I couldn't say they were better than App St.