PDA

View Full Version : TSN Names All American Teams

rmutv
December 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/IAA-06-team.htm

Ball and Santos lead the way.

Only four mid-major athletes on the three squads.

CCSU RB Justise Hairston and Duquesne WR Bruce Hocker are 2nd teamers.

San Diego QB Josh Johnson and Robert Morris DE Ray Gensler are 3rd teamers.

Congrats to all of the players named.

UNHWildCats
December 18th, 2006, 02:29 PM
well good to see they werent drinking the same **** as the AP. Good lists.

CoastalFan2005
December 18th, 2006, 02:34 PM
So, if on the other thread we're using SOS to determine which quarterbacks made the list...

Please tell me how San Diego's quarterback deserves 3rd team over many, many other quarterbacks. :twocents:

Peems
December 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM
two griz on the second team defense.

ToreroTime
December 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM
So, if on the other thread we're using SOS to determine which quarterbacks made the list...

Please tell me how San Diego's quarterback deserves 3rd team over many, many other quarterbacks. :twocents:

Because he is one of the top three QB's! But I am sure you have seen him play so you can talk all you want.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 18th, 2006, 03:53 PM
They must be drinking heavily because John Mohring is nowhere to be found on that list. He was on the Buck Buchanan watch list earlier this season and kicked butt this year. Just because GSU as a whole wasn't good, doesn't have any bearing on John Mohring coming completely across the field to make someone blow snot bubbles on 99% of the plays.

Anyone who has seen him play knows exactly what I'm talking about. He is expected to be a good MLB pick in the NFL.

blueballs
December 18th, 2006, 04:18 PM
They must be drinking heavily because John Mohring is nowhere to be found on that list. He was on the Buck Buchanan watch list earlier this season and kicked butt this year. Just because GSU as a whole wasn't good, doesn't have any bearing on John Mohring coming completely across the field to make someone blow snot bubbles on 99% of the plays.

Anyone who has seen him play knows exactly what I'm talking about. He is expected to be a good MLB pick in the NFL.

More to the point... when was the last time NO GSU player made even so much as third team AA?

When you have the answer to that then you'll know why BVG said what he did after the Furman game, and will explain a good bit why we were 3-8.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 18th, 2006, 04:27 PM
More to the point... when was the last time NO GSU player made even so much as third team AA?

When you have the answer to that then you'll know why BVG said what he did after the Furman game, and will explain a good bit why we were 3-8.

BVG was the linebackers coach in the NFL. You can dispute his head coaching till the cows come home, but he is a good linebackers coach.

Mohring got better this year. Why else would the American Football Coaches Association choose him to be on their All American Team (only one team, 11 players on each side of the ball), one of two SoCon representatives on defense???

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM
http://www.georgiasoutherneagles.com/tools/getstory.aspx?storyid=1547

blueballs
December 18th, 2006, 04:39 PM
BVG was the linebackers coach in the NFL. You can dispute his head coaching till the cows come home, but he is a good linebackers coach.

Mohring got better this year. Why else would the American Football Coaches Association choose him to be on their All American Team (only one team, 11 players on each side of the ball), one of two SoCon representatives on defense???

No doubt Mohring was a great player for GSU and deserved more honors than he got. Other than he and Jayson Foster, can you really say anybody deserved any honors this year? That's my point, it was an across the board underperformance this year by the boys in blue. All the blame can't be placed at the coaches' feet either.

Again, when was the last time GSU placed NOBODY on TSN's AA teams- either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team? I can't remember...

CoastalFan2005
December 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Because he is one of the top three QB's! But I am sure you have seen him play so you can talk all you want.

Stop putting words in my mouth - I don't believe I ever said he was a bad quarterback. Your comment provides no helpful information to support your claim.

What I DID ask for someone's opinion on was the "strength of schedule" argument that was used in the thread discussing the AP All-American lists. I don't recall you being involved in that argument. xcoffeex

McNeeserocket
December 18th, 2006, 05:52 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/stat/IAA-06-team.htm

What do you think of this list?

kats89
December 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Somewhere on the list I would have figured Derrick Harris DB and Lance Hancock OL would have been there somewhere in the mix.

Harris only led the country in punt returns in the FCS category and was named 2nd team AP All American.

Hancock ended up starting 42 games in a row by the end of his 2006 senior season and was the anchor of the O-Line that only allowed 10 sacks all year.

PNeck19
December 18th, 2006, 06:32 PM
Bear in mind that if for some reason a player did not make 1st team all-conference, they were not on the ballot for this team.

One example of this is Southern punter Breck Ackley, the nation's leader. Ackley was named first team All-America by the AFCA and AP, yet was voted 2nd team all-SWAC behind the guy who ranks 81st in the nation and 9th in the 10-team league.

The other All-American teams have no such restrictions.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 18th, 2006, 06:35 PM
My question is where are the other App OLs? Not that I think the OLs that made it didn't deserve it, but our OL did a pretty good job against UMass's defense.

umassfan
December 18th, 2006, 07:50 PM
My question is where are the other App OLs? Not that I think the OLs that made it didn't deserve it, but our OL did a pretty good job against UMass's defense.
UMass was running pretty well vs Apps D as well that had 3 All americans but only 2 UMass OLine were on the top 3 teams as well. I think both should only get 2.

Blueandwhitefightfight
December 20th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Mohring finishes his career as a three-time All-SoCon honoree as he repeated as a First Team selection.

Mohring was part of the Buck Buchanan Award ‘Watch List’ for national Defensive Player of the Year until the final ballot. He led the Eagle defense, and ranked third in the league, averaging 9.3 tackles per game. The senior outside linebacker was second in the SoCon with 14.0 tackles for a loss, and he intercepted two passes. During his four-year career Mohring finished with 302 tackles, fifth among the GS all-time leaders.

He also made the American Football Coaches Association All American Team (there is only first team, no second, third, or honorable mention).

He got shafted.

HLecter
December 20th, 2006, 09:55 PM
It is all subjective bull****, still better than Conference All-Star teams in which so many deals are made the coaches are all named "Monty"

mikebigg
December 21st, 2006, 07:13 AM
Bear in mind that if for some reason a player did not make 1st team all-conference, they were not on the ballot for this team.

One example of this is Southern punter Breck Ackley, the nation's leader. Ackley was named first team All-America by the AFCA and AP, yet was voted 2nd team all-SWAC behind the guy who ranks 81st in the nation and 9th in the 10-team league.

The other All-American teams have no such restrictions.

How Ackley wasn't named All-SWAC is beyond me! You lead the nation in punting avg and a guy who finishes 9th (in conference) wins All-conference honors. Criminal charges should be fired at whomever voted for the guy that won.:nono:

Sidenote: Don't know who made it, but if there's a better wr than Clyde Edwards of Grambling then he must be a futhamucka!! Seriously, Clyde didn't put up eyepopping numbers (compared to previous years) but he's the TRUTH!

th0m
December 21st, 2006, 09:38 AM
Wide receivers David Ball (UNH) and Alex Watson (NAU) made first team. I think they're the truth as well...

gsugt1
December 21st, 2006, 10:46 AM
Again, when was the last time GSU placed NOBODY on TSN's AA teams- either 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team? I can't remember...

Never :eek:

mikebigg
December 21st, 2006, 04:40 PM
Wide receivers David Ball (UNH) and Alex Watson (NAU) made first team. I think they're the truth as well...

I'm sure... wasn't trying to take from their honor at all. I just really like Clyde Edward's game... (of course I'm biased). Edwards is really clutch and such a "quiet" player...he reminds me A LOT of Indy's Marvin Harrison