PDA

View Full Version : Why Are UMASS Fans So Happy?

spoogemcgee18
December 18th, 2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOmsJDOtNJ0

So losing the National Championship is a cause for celebration? I don't really get this.

Appguy
December 18th, 2006, 01:47 PM
very confusing...you would have thought they won the game?
I think they were gonna riot win or lose. just wanted a reason to go nuts

Kosty
December 18th, 2006, 01:50 PM
As I said over on the Smack board.....I'm willing to bet that 80% of the people involved with the "riot" had NO CLUE there was even a game that night. They looked out their windows and went "Ooooo people gathering.....let's go!!!!"

appfan2008
December 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
As I said over on the Smack board.....I'm willing to bet that 80% of the people involved with the "riot" had NO CLUE there was even a game that night. They looked out their windows and went "Ooooo people gathering.....let's go!!!!"

Lame excuse from a jealous fan!

appheel
December 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
I don't think that's a lame excuse. I think that's exactly what it looks like.

DCFan
December 18th, 2006, 02:24 PM
Lame excuse from a jealous fan!

I was at the "riot" that took place in the same location (Southwest residential area) immediately after the Red Sox lost to the Mets in the World Series. Other than a small group of Mets and Red Sox fans that squared off with each other the vast majority of the people at that "riot" were nothing more than opportunistic thrill seekers.

It's not unlike the "snowball riot" years ago that started in Southwest, meandered through campus then worked it's way to Amherst college and ran into a police barraked in down town Amherst. I had a front row view of that one from my stool in Barsies!:thumbsup:

The Southwest residential area where these riots took place is a high density living area of less than 1/4 of a square mile that has a population of over 5,000 students. If that isn't bad enough, the vast majority of those students are under-classmen.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM
looks pretty crazy. maybe the knicks and nuggets players were in town on friday, and this riot they started is the real reason they fought on saturday.

UMass922
December 18th, 2006, 06:21 PM
I was at the "riot" that took place in the same location (Southwest residential area) immediately after the Red Sox lost to the Mets in the World Series. Other than a small group of Mets and Red Sox fans that squared off with each other the vast majority of the people at that "riot" were nothing more than opportunistic thrill seekers.

It's not unlike the "snowball riot" years ago that started in Southwest, meandered through campus then worked it's way to Amherst college and ran into a police barraked in down town Amherst. I had a front row view of that one from my stool in Barsies!:thumbsup:

The Southwest residential area where these riots took place is a high density living area of less than 1/4 of a square mile that has a population of over 5,000 students. If that isn't bad enough, the vast majority of those students are under-classmen.

I lived in Southwest my two years on campus, and indeed, "snowball riots" are not uncommon there. Same thing happened when the Red Sox lost to the Yankees in the playoffs in '98. The students look for an excuse, any excuse, to riot. It probably would have happened win or lose, and most of the students involved probably couldn't care less about UMass football. I was happy to move off campus my junior year and get away from that nonsense. It's embarrassing that UMass makes news in these kinds of ways.

Cobblestone
December 18th, 2006, 07:01 PM
I agree with all the UMASS posters. Here in New England college football doesn't play second fiddle.... it doesn't play any instrument. Those kids in the video know nothing and care nothing about UMASS football, it was a chance to get drunk and act stupid, nothing more and nothing less. Going along with the crowd is important to some at that age.

downbythebeach
December 18th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Once at Sfu the power went out and people started kicking over trash cans at like 3 A.M. Students do look for any reason to be dumb.