PDA

View Full Version : Why only 3 Awards?

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2006, 12:01 PM
I can imagine that this topic has been brought up before, but I've been wondering lately why only 1 award each for offense, defense, and coaching is given in I-AA/FCS, whereas I-A/BS hands out 24 awards (some of which are repeats).

Heisman Memorial Trophy (Best Player)
Maxwell Award (Best Player)
Walter Camp Award (Best Player)
Bronko Nagurski Trophy (Best Defenseman)
Chuck Bednarik Award (Best Defenseman)
Dave Rimington Trophy (Best C)
Davey O'Brien Award (Best QB)
Dick Butkus Award (Best LB)
Doak Walker Award (Best RB)
Draddy Trophy (Academic Heisman)
Fred Biletnikoff Award (Best WR)
Jim Thorpe Award (Best DB)
John Mackey Award (Best TE)
Johnny Unitas Award (Best Senior QB)
Lombardi Award (Best Lineman or LB)
Lott Trophy (Defensive impact)
Lou Groza Award (Best PK)
Manning Award (Best QB)
Mosi Tatupu Award (Best spec. teams)
Outland Trophy (Best IOL or DL)
Ray Guy Award (Best P)
Ted Hendricks Award (Best DE)
Paul “Bear” Bryant Coach of the Year
Home Depot Coach of the Year

Two-dozen might be a stretch, but I would like to see some of these BS awards with CS equivalents. Maybe we AGSers could take up a collection or find a sponsor for an award ourselves.

Mr. C
December 18th, 2006, 12:07 PM
The College Sporting News will announce awards for the following things in the next few days:

Coach of the Year (which we hope to name the Erk Russell Award, if the Russell family will approve of it).

Offensive player of the year
Defensive player of the year
Offensive lineman of the year (beacuase these guys don't get the respect they deserve and are never considered for the major awards anywhere else)
NCAA Division I Football Champships playoff most valuable player
Freshman of the year

That seems to be just about the right number to me.

Griswold
December 18th, 2006, 01:09 PM
The College Sporting News will announce awards for the following things in the next few days:

Coach of the Year (which we hope to name the Erk Russell Award, if the Russell family will approve of it).

Offensive player of the year
Defensive player of the year
Offensive lineman of the year (beacuase these guys don't get the respect they deserve and are never considered for the major awards anywhere else)
NCAA Division I Football Champships playoff most valuable player
Freshman of the year
That seems to be just about the right number to me.

Gee, I wonder who'll win these two? :bow: :bow:

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2006, 03:54 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a few specific offensive and defensive awards.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2006, 04:59 PM
Gee, I wonder who'll win these two? :bow: :bow:

Are they giving them out for this year, or just announcing that they are creating them?

BrevardMountaineer03
December 18th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Are they giving them out for this year, or just announcing that they are creating them?
They gave them out last year as I-AA.org....But I agree, Best OL, Best DL, Best DB, Best LB, Best WR, Best RB, Best QB, those are all viable awards, or do you just go with the people who earn All-American Honors to fill those spots?

I think AGS should come up with some awards. Have people register like the poll voters and vote for different awards. Just a thought....

kardplayer
December 18th, 2006, 08:50 PM
Any chance the Playoff MVP will get moved up in future years to be given out after the championship game, on the field, as part of the trophy ceremony?

I'm sure there are some logistic issues, but its completely doable.

If CSN can't do it, I think AGS should.

Kosty
December 19th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Ray Guy Award (Best P)

I would think that Koegel would win the Junior Ray Guy Award for best punter in for the FCS!!

andy7171
December 19th, 2006, 10:10 AM
Forget Ray Guy! Make a FCS Punting Award of our own! Call it the Sean Landeta Award!

Tiger Pride!