PDA

View Full Version : Idaho HC Search: Portland St HC On the Clock

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 08:30 AM
Well, we went through Kramer of Montana St. Now Walsh of Portland St is on the clock as a potential head coach for the FBS squad from Moscow, Idaho...

PSU coach Walsh to interview at Idaho
Monday, December 18, 2006
NORM MAVES JR.

Portland State coach Tim Walsh was to leave this morning for Moscow, Idaho, and an interview for the job as head football coach at the University of Idaho.

"I've said many times before that I would see my daughter (Megan) through high school here," said Walsh, who just completed his 14th season as PSU's head coach, "and she's a senior now.

"I love Portland State and I love my players, but at this point in my life (Walsh turned 52 on Sunday), it doesn't hurt to look around."

http://www.oregonlive.com/vikingsfootball/oregonian/?/base/sports/1166412317175810.xml&coll=7

youwouldno
December 18th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Retirement money... but how much will Idaho really offer him?

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Holy cow. Let me see.....Do I want to spend my waning years in Portland Oregon, challenging for the BSC title regularly, or MOSCOW IDAHO, the perennial doormat of their conference? xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

barechestcat
December 18th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Holy cow. Let me see.....Do I want to spend my waning years in Portland Oregon, challenging for the BSC title regularly, or MOSCOW IDAHO, the perennial doormat of their conference? xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx xidiotx

Money's a crazy, crazy thing.:twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
Money's a crazy, crazy thing.:twocents: :twocents: :twocents:

Based on what Idaho was paying Dennis Erickson, the money can't be that much different. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

BigApp
December 18th, 2006, 11:36 AM
Holy cow. Let me see.....Do I want to spend my waning years in Portland Oregon, challenging for the BSC title regularly, or MOSCOW IDAHO, the perennial doormat of their conference?

If he's a Democrat (or further left), he should stay in Portland. If'n he's a Republican (or further right), he may prefer Idaho. :)

AZGrizFan
December 18th, 2006, 11:45 AM
If he's a Democrat (or further left), he should stay in Portland. If'n he's a Republican (or further right), he may prefer Idaho. :)

He may prefer Idaho, but not Moscow. I went to school there, and it's too close to the border of Washington, so some of that liberal disease has rubbed off on the residents....also, being nothing but a college cow-town, theres alot of liberal pukes living there..... :pumpuke: :pumpuke: :pumpuke:

BigApp
December 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
hmm...didn't know that...thanks!

JALMOND
December 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM
In reading the story in today's Oregonian regarding Walsh's interview for the Idaho job, some interesting things as to the reasoning behind his decision. I believe the link was posted already, but here are some quotes.

"Walsh said part of the reason for his look at Idaho is related to the ongoing search for an athletic director at Portland State." (Note: PSU has been without an athletic director since July)

"There's some uncertainty about what happens with the new athletic director," he said. "I really don't want to leave Portland State at all. But I also think my players deserve respect (in the Big Sky Conference), and I don't think we get any respect."

"Walsh's (record) is 90-68 at Portland State with three losing seasons."

"His 14th team went 7-4 this season, beat bowl-bound New Mexico and finished tied with Montana State for second in the Big Sky at 6-2. But the team did not receive a berth in the Division I-AA playoffs."

Earlier in the article, it seems that Walsh hinted at returning to PSU.

"(Walsh) emphasized, though, that he's still a Portland State man."

"I have recruits in, and I have a job here," he said. "And I haven't been offered anything yet, and I don't have any idea where this is. In no way, shape or form am I not a Portland State Viking."

My take, the uncertainty of the athletic department, coupled with the success of the season and the opportunity of moving up in the coaching ranks has led to Walsh becoming a candidate for the Vandals coaching job. I believe that, even with the Vandals playing in the WAC, Walsh will realize, much like Kramer did, what a losing situation this coaching job is, and Walsh, like Kramer who returned to MSU, will be coaching PSU next year.

Ironically, Brian Meehan, sports columnist for the Oregonian, was passing out holiday gifts for many Oregon sports figures in today's paper and had one for Walsh, "For Portland State coach Tim Walsh, a trip to the football playoffs."

Quotes attributed to Norm Maves, Jr. and Brian Meehan, Oregonian December 18, 2006.