PDA

View Full Version : Scenario: I-AA Teams In Bowls?

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2006, 07:15 PM
The bowl/playoff discussion brings this scenario:

If a I-AA/CS conference was approached by, for example, a new bowl in the Southeast (call it the Gulf Coast Bowl) with an offer for the conference champ to play the #2 or #3 team in the Sun Belt every year for a guaranteed $300K a year on ESPN U...but the champion was therefore ineligible for the I-AA/CS playoffs, do you take the deal?

Would a conference be ineligible for any playoff participation if they took the offer?

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 07:23 PM
No way.

We can play a I-A team better than a #2 or 3 Sun Belt team in the regular season, get about the same pay out and still be able to play for a championship.

EKU05
December 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
Bowls have a requirement that you beat at least 5 BS teams a year. No more than one victory over a I-AA team can count. Are you talking about a CS vs. CS Bowl?...because that's the only way this is even plausible.

But I still wouldn't go for it.

yoself09
December 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM

If a I-AA/CS conference was approached by, for example, a new bowl in the Southeast (call it the Gulf Coast Bowl) with an offer for the conference champ to play the #2 or #3 team in the Sun Belt every year for a guaranteed $300K a year on ESPN U...but the champion was therefore ineligible for the I-AA/CS playoffs, do you take the deal?

Would a conference be ineligible for any playoff participation if they took the offer?

I would say no and hell no:bang:

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 08:09 PM
What's with all this FCS/Bowl talk going on...? xidiotx

December 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
...If a I-AA/CS conference was approached by, for example, a new bowl in the Southeast (call it the Gulf Coast Bowl) with an offer for the conference champ to play the #2 or #3 team in the Sun Belt every year for a guaranteed $300K a year on ESPN U...but the champion was therefore ineligible for the I-AA/CS playoffs, do you take the deal?...Wow, DFW is one of the last people I would have previously expected to be a BS lover but the last several posts prove otherwise. :nono: BS means not proving it on the field DFW. You want that? Hoya hoya saxa means not much huh? :rolleyes:

Mr. Tiger
December 17th, 2006, 08:58 PM
I don't want to see a bunch of bowl games for the FCS. But the playoffs need to be more profitable for FCS schools. The FCS might could look into getting a title sponsor for the playoff system and break away from NCAA oversight to boost sponsorship.

DFW HOYA
December 17th, 2006, 09:13 PM
Wow, DFW is one of the last people I would have previously expected to be a BS lover but the last several posts prove otherwise.

Actually, it doesn't.

If the subdivision wants to chart its future, it must decide how its teams are to be seen in the media. The bowl scenario, rightly answered by those above, indicate that playing low major I-A teams for attention is not the answer.

Playoffs are generally preferred to the low level bowl games, assuming, of course, that the playoffs are open to everyone...which they're not, but that's another topic. Notwithstanding, the next issue is how to elevate the finals to something that's not just the prelim to the Division II and III playoffs but a game of real significance.

Maybe it doesn't need to be on a Friday night in the cold. Maybe it needs to rotate sites. Maybe it needs a sponsor who can make it financially worthwhile. Maybe a semifinal doubleheader is in order. Maybe you call the title game a "bowl", who knows.

Whatever the answers, this board is a good place to pose questions.But there's still work to be done.

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Bowls are a stupid idea & are best served for mediocre teams, not excellent ones. Settle it on the field.

TexasTerror
December 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM
I don't want to see a bunch of bowl games for the FCS. But the playoffs need to be more profitable for FCS schools. The FCS might could look into getting a title sponsor for the playoff system and break away from NCAA oversight to boost sponsorship.

Break away from NCAA oversight? That sounds like a recipe to hurt the meaning behind the Division I National Champion. Sounds too FBS to me...xcoffeex

DetroitFlyer
December 18th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl is the Division III Championship game.... If I remember correctly, a whopping 7000 fans or so showed up to watch the game, about the same level as the Division II Championship. Unless a major corporate sponser steps up to have the naming rights to playoff games, the playoffs will remain a financial drain on the schools. Something needs to be done, however, as I'm sure the casual fan really does not understand the difference between FCS, Division II and Division III. I think the casual fan thinks that some small college championships are on this weekend.... The fact that the games were played back to back this year, all on ESPN, probably added to the confusion. I would be all for the championship game being a "bowl" with some big corporate sponser footing the bill and paying the schools a handsome sum.... If enough cash could be generated, the profits couls be split among all playoff teams, helping to offset the additional costs. If big bucks could be generated, I would vote for EVERY conference in FCS getting a share of the pie!

lizrdgizrd
December 18th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl is the Division III Championship game.... If I remember correctly, a whopping 7000 fans or so showed up to watch the game, about the same level as the Division II Championship. Unless a major corporate sponser steps up to have the naming rights to playoff games, the playoffs will remain a financial drain on the schools. Something needs to be done, however, as I'm sure the casual fan really does not understand the difference between FCS, Division II and Division III. I think the casual fan thinks that some small college championships are on this weekend.... The fact that the games were played back to back this year, all on ESPN, probably added to the confusion. I would be all for the championship game being a "bowl" with some big corporate sponser footing the bill and paying the schools a handsome sum.... If enough cash could be generated, the profits couls be split among all playoff teams, helping to offset the additional costs. If big bucks could be generated, I would vote for EVERY conference in FCS getting a share of the pie!
I think it might be a good idea to look at corporate sponsorships for the NC. I wouldn't call it a "bowl" but maybe "the Division I National Championship presented by Widgets R' Us" would help make this at least a revenue neutral proposition.

henfan
December 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Gentlemen, can we please put to bed the ridiculous myths about the D-I playoffs?

1. The playoffs are not a "financial drain". As tournament sponsor, the NCAA reimburses road teams for all eligible expenses and then some (per diems, ect.) Host schools almost always more than make up for the amount of guarantees they pay out. Schools that typically draw well (Montana, App, UDel, etc.) make money on home playoff games. (Compare that with the bowl system where participants, particularly those in non-BCS bowls, regularly lose money.)

2. The playoffs are to open to every eligible FCS team. The Ivy and SWAC don't participate voluntarily. The remaining schools are eligible and must satisfy competitive criteria to qualify.

3. There will not be large corporate sponosors outside of the NCAA's domain. Realize that, even though the NCAA has little oversight into the bowl subdivision, those schools have tremendous influence over what the NCAA does, do in no small part to their voting power in the D-I structure and the role the NCAA plays as host for Olympic sport championships. BCS schools have the money and power and the NCAA will follow their lead. If they do not want the NCAA to promote their D-I championship over or in addition to the bowl post-season, it simply will not happen.

4. The title game isn't moving from Chattanooga anytime soon and probably isn't moving from Friday. Very few cities are interested in or capable of hosting the event. The time and day are dictated largely by ESPN. The option of not having the game televised on a network with the reach of ESPN is not an option.

NoSpinZone
December 18th, 2006, 09:23 AM

Minimum Bowl payout is 750k

bluehenbillk
December 18th, 2006, 09:31 AM
4. The title game isn't moving from Chattanooga anytime soon and probably isn't moving from Friday. Very few cities are interested in or capable of hosting the event. The time and day are dictated largely by ESPN. The option of not having the game televised on a network with the reach of ESPN is not an option.

I agree on your other points but not this one. Other cities aren't CAPABLE of hosting the event??? Interested I'd agree with, capable, there are many way more capable.

I don't see an issue with moving the D-2 or D-3 game to Friday & 1-AA to Saturday......

December 18th, 2006, 10:11 AM
Minimum Bowl payout is 750kIt is if you call getting the "payout" in tickets to sell.

NoSpinZone
December 18th, 2006, 10:54 AM
It is if you call getting the "payout" in tickets to sell.

What is the national championship game payout?

December 18th, 2006, 10:59 AM
What is the national championship game payout?Pretty much the same as every NCAA championship (more of course because football is the largest sport) except teams are not required to sell tickets to get paid... therefore they don't lose money.

NoSpinZone
December 18th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Pretty much the same as every NCAA championship (more of course because football is the largest sport) except teams are not required to sell tickets to get paid... therefore they don't lose money.

So this would make it greater than $750k??

henfan
December 18th, 2006, 11:49 AM
I agree on your other points but not this one. Other cities aren't CAPABLE of hosting the event??? Interested I'd agree with, capable, there are many way more capable.

I don't see an issue with moving the D-2 or D-3 game to Friday & 1-AA to Saturday......

Duly noted, Bill. What I meant to say was "interested in and capable of..." Obviously there some venues capable of meeting the NCAA's host criteria, but very, very few of those in that sub-set are also interested in doing so. No disrespect intended towards Iowans, but unless you have a curious urge to charter a flight on Buddy Holly Airlines to Cedar Falls/Waterloo in December, be thankful that Chattanooga is still interested in hosting.

There's obviously a decision made by the powers that be in I-AA, the NCAA and ESPN that featuring the D-I game on Friday by itself is more advantageous than coupling it with either the D-II or D-III games on Saturday. Since the Friday ratings have been fine and game attendance has been very good, there's little issue to move the game back to Saturday. I wouldn't expect it to happen anytime soon.

henfan
December 18th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Minimum Bowl payout is 750k

And participants in many of the minor bowls still regularly lose money because their ticket revenues can't match the excessive guarantees they're forced to meet.

PantherRob82
December 18th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Is there public info on how the playoff teams made out this year or in the past financially?

Regardless, I am against the idea of playing in bowl games. If there are ways to make more money and get more attention for the FCS, I am all for it, but I think everyone is doing the best they can.