PDA

View Full Version : Changes

GrizzlyBill
December 17th, 2006, 10:40 AM
The NCAA finds it easy to change names, but consider these REAL changes:

1. Eliminate electronic communication devices on the sidelines and on the field during the game. Preserve the purity of play and coaching by emininating the "spy from above" radioing intelligence into the ear of the coach, who signals each play in to the QB too late for the defense to react. That's not football; that's cheating (maybe legal, but it's not in the spirit of the game).

2. Preserve the importance of the officials on the field by disallowing instant replay in the course of the game. Officials will always be necessary on the field to control the flow of the game. There are 3 major parties to the game: teams, officials, fans. Each has a function vital to the game. Instant replay dilutes officiating--diminishes the human element.

The ever increasing use of electronic technology dilutes the game from being a true test of athletes and coaches on the field.

MrEvents
December 17th, 2006, 10:48 AM

1. Eliminate electronic communication devices on the sidelines and on the field during the game. Preserve the purity of play and coaching by emininating the "spy from above" radioing intelligence into the ear of the coach, who signals each play in to the QB too late for the defense to react. That's not football; that's cheating (maybe legal, but it's not in the spirit of the game).

2. Preserve the importance of the officials on the field by disallowing instant replay in the course of the game. Officials will always be necessary on the field to control the flow of the game. There are 3 major parties to the game: teams, officials, fans. Each has a function vital to the game. Instant replay dilutes officiating--diminishes the human element.

The ever increasing use of electronic technology dilutes the game from being a true test of athletes and coaches on the field.

We had a similar discussion with some UMass fans about the pros and cons of artificial turf and the effects it has had on the game of football. Injuries, no dirty uniforms, mud, grass stuck in helmets, and so many more.

EKU05
December 17th, 2006, 12:02 PM

If you'll indulge me...I'd like to play the devil's advocate here.

I think a lot of people take the attitude people in the early days of college football didn't use all of these things on purpose...almost as though we think of them like the framers of the Constution. Rest assured...the only reason that first game (Rutgers? vs. Princeton?) didn't use replay or microphones was because they didn't have them to use. I don't think good coaching techniques detract from the spirit of the game at all.

Also...I don't see what could possibly be bad about getting calls right more often than we used to. I'll grant you that it sometimes takes to long to look at replays...and that needs to be worked on. However, I don't really romanticize the "human" element of officiating. The "spirit of the game" is to have two teams play by the rules...and the better those rules are enforced then the closer we are to the spirit of the game.

Football is like anything else. Times change. Advances are made. The truly great players and coaches will roll with the punches. Or perhaps we should go back to leather helmets too?

But I do respect where you're coming from. Things are different, and keeping a certain amount of the nostalgia around is refreshing. Hopefully there are certain aspects of the game that will never change, and it will always be recognizable as American (College) Football...even if in a slightly more modern form.

MplsBison
December 17th, 2006, 12:05 PM

This is a joke, right?

Yeah, and while you're at it, get rid of these new fangled "electric lightbulbs", damnit!

They're destroying the integrity of the game!

What we need is a candles only policy!

Ronbo
December 17th, 2006, 12:13 PM
I thought it odd that the App St Coaches were calling the audibles for the QB. That QB didn't even need to learn to read the defenses, the OC was doing it for him. Took away from the game in my opinion. Like the OC was playing a video game.

CSUBUCDAD
December 17th, 2006, 12:32 PM
Lots of teams are going to the "line up, look at me" type offense. Don't see any real problem with it. Easy enough to defense, just wait till the play is signalled in and change you defensive look right before they have to snap the ball to what fits the situation.

Ronbo
December 17th, 2006, 12:38 PM
If these QB's don't learn to read defenses and call their own audibles they will never make it in the pros and they are getting no training as future coaches.

GrizzlyBill
December 17th, 2006, 12:45 PM
This is a joke, right?

Yeah, and while you're at it, get rid of these new fangled "electric lightbulbs", damnit!

They're destroying the integrity of the game!

What we need is a candles only policy!

Let the coaches and players ON THE FIELD AND SIDELINES play the game in REAL TIME. Let them make decisions and responses to their own abilities -- not with electronic aids that make it more a test of engineering capability and budgets for gadgets.

UNHWildCats
December 17th, 2006, 12:46 PM
i wish they wouldnt have instant replay in the championship game. We play the entire season without it we dont need it in the championship.

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2006, 12:51 PM
If these QB's don't learn to read defenses and call their own audibles they will never make it in the pros and they are getting no training as future coaches.

The NFL is not the best example of that. The QB has a speaker in his helmet, and doesn't even have to read signals.

AggiePride
December 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM

What exactly are you reffering to with this? Seems kind of silly to me...

Are coaches supposed to use hand signals to the coaches in the box? And how would that create less "spying"? Coaches need to be in the box the see the far side of the field and line play, and there needs to be communication to them from the sidelines. Headsets reduce the ability to spy in respect to this... As for communication from off-field to on-field, I do not agree with that. That does go over the line for me...

Most people prefer having some sort of instant replay. I see nothing wrong with it in small amounts. Anyways, the official always makes the final ruling, I see in no way how the final decision is not "human", the officials are always in control............. It only makes decisions more accurate IMO... It may slow down the game (the only drawback I see), which is why it should be regulated.

December 17th, 2006, 04:11 PM
The NCAA finds it easy to change names...That was easy???? It has been years that was in progress.

Jackluv
December 17th, 2006, 05:39 PM
i believethat it has to go both ways on the OC and the QB....lots of OC's are just football geniuses who can choose the right play at the right time ..THATS THE JOB OF THE OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR!!!...but he has to teach the QB what he is thinking..If the D lines up like this..WE PASS. if the d lines up like that...CHECK to the run quick or this audible...its pretty much up to the OC to teach the QB whats goin on around him instead of using him like a puppet.