PDA

View Full Version : ODU following CCU's example

Coastal89
December 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM
So what do tailgating fans of a young I-AA program in South Carolina have to do with Old Dominion? For starters, the Monarchs' effort is still gathering steam, the search for a head coach is under way, and lessons can be learned from Coastal Carolina's footprints.

For sure, ODU will face many challenges over the next three years. There are questions to answer, skepticism to buck, money to raise, construction to perform, coaches and staff to hire, equipment to purchase, players to recruit and a practice-only year for those recruits to endure.

Only then will the Monarchs play their first football game at Foreman Field since 1940.

All this must come in a cohesive, timely manner if football's promises to a campus - new loyalties, stronger school spirit, more donors and greater media attention - are to be seen in Norfolk as they are at Coastal Carolina.

"Football gives this school an identity," said Steve Mays, tailgating with some former Coastal Carolina classmates in a lot near the stadium. "And it gives us all an excuse to come back to campus six times a year.

"Without football, we wouldn't do it."

http://content.hamptonroads.com/story.cfm?story=116194&ran=125713

89Hen
December 17th, 2006, 10:00 AM
10-6-2006

I'm not so sure about that. I would imagine their first year will look more like Coastal's first year. CCU only had a couple DII's each of their first two years. They did play some non-schollie, but I think it would be a mistake to play a lot of DII or III's. If I were putting ODU's schedule together I'd shoot for...

Christopher Newport
Virginia State (or Union)
Mars Hill
Liberty
VMI
Gardner-Webb
Davidson
Norfolk State
William & Mary
Richmond
James Madison

Even though they'd struggle with some of those, especially the CAA games, baptism through fire seemed to work for Coastal.
I think CCU is a great example for them to follow. :D

Tribe4SF
December 17th, 2006, 10:41 AM
I think the effort will be to get up to speed as rapidly as possible, and I expect scheduling will reflect that. They should begin a permanent series with Norfolk State immediately.

A leading candidate for HC will likely be Matt Kelchner. He spent 15 years on the W&M staff, and took Christopher Newport to the Div. III playoffs in their first year.

furpal87
December 17th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Heck their even using the same advisor (Dick Sheridan)!.

rokamortis
December 17th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Heck their even using the same advisor (Dick Sheridan)!.

OLur former AD, Buddy Sasser, is an advisor as well, I believe.

youwouldno
December 17th, 2006, 05:30 PM
There's a lot of football talent in Hampton Roads, and a ton of ODU alums of course, and a general dearth of sports, collegiate or pro. Being from Va Beach, and of course a CS fan, I hope ODU pulls it off.