PDA

View Full Version : ASU Dropped from LSU schedule

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 01:28 AM
just found an article (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-76339&prov=rivals&type=lgns) saying we were dropped from LSU's 2007 schedule.
article is from end of november. Did you guys already know about this because this is the first time Ive seen it.

They get scared or something?

chattanoogamocs
December 17th, 2006, 01:42 AM
that had been on the MMB before...I thought I read somewhere that LSU was going to pay App $50K and reschedule the game for 2009? (I could be wrong on that though)

AZBison
December 17th, 2006, 02:17 AM
that's BS. Play the games, buyouts are lame

Mr. C
December 17th, 2006, 02:23 AM
that's BS. Play the games, buyouts are lame
LSU was mandated by the SEC that they had to play a Thursday game next season. The only way that LSU could make that work in their schedule was to reschedule the ASU game. The Tigers have been a first-class group. They invited ASU back for another game after the 2005 showing. I can't criticize them for something that was out of their control.

AZBison
December 17th, 2006, 02:28 AM
LSU was mandated by the SEC that they had to play a Thursday game next season. The only way that LSU could make that work in their schedule was to reschedule the ASU game. The Tigers have been a first-class group. They invited ASU back for another game after the 2005 showing. I can't criticize them for something that was out of their control.

Don't I look the idiot now : smh :

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM
Id like to see a 1-A/BS school on our 2007 schedule

tralfangar
December 17th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Not trying to be cocky, but I doubt we'll see many BS teams lining up for that one next season

AppAttack
December 17th, 2006, 09:10 AM
From the MMB

ESPN holds key to 2007 LSU football schedule

By RANDY ROSETTA
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Nov 30, 2006

The 2007 LSU football schedule has shifted a bit, and the net effect could make the 2008 slate look a little different as well.

LSU Associate Athletic Director Verge Ausberry confirmed Wednesday that, contingent on final approval, Appalachian State is off next year’s schedule and Louisiana Tech has moved from 2008 to next season.

In addition, a November game against MiddleTennesseeState has moved up into the season-opening slot on Sept. 1, although that could change as well.

A proposal has been made by ESPN to broadcast the Tigers’ road game at MississippiState as the network’s season opener on Thursday, Aug. 30. If that happens, LSU would have a 10-day cushion between the opener and a visit from perennial ACC power Virginia Tech on Sept. 8.

“The MississippiState game is in ESPN’s hands now,” said Ausberry, who took over football scheduling duties when Dan Radakovich left for the job as Georgia Tech’s athletic director.

“We have no problem playing on a Thursday night and in fact we like the idea of having 10 days to prepare for Virginia Tech game. But ESPN has to make the move happen. We have a game with Middle Tennessee game on that weekend and for us to switch, ESPN would have to help Middle Tennessee find a game and help us find a game later in the season.”

If the Tigers face State on Aug. 30, there would be a home opening on Sept. 15. ESPN has facilitated landing home games for LSU in two of the last three years: OregonState in 2004 and FresnoState this season.

The other two changes with Appalachian State and Louisiana Tech have created some work for Ausberry to do in 2008.

Ausberry said he has two non-conference games to set up for 2008 on Sept. 6 and Sept. 13. The Tigers already play Troy (Aug. 30) and Tulane (Nov. 1) at Tiger Stadium in ’08.

“We’re talking to a lot of different people about those two dates and we want to finalize something as quickly as we can,” Ausberry said. “We’ve talked to just about everybody imaginable.”

It’s possible that Appalachian State could fill one of those dates. Ausberry said the game with the Mountaineers wasn’t canceled because they are a Division I-AA program. In fact, Appalachian State — the 2005 I-AA national champion and a favorite in this year’s playoffs — often carries a higher power rating than lower-level Division I opponents.

“We are going to play them again in the future,” Ausberry said.

“We just needed to move some things around for next year. We feel like that’s a good non-conference game for us.”

Who else LSU might line up remains a mystery.

Future home-and-home series have been set up with Colorado (2011-12), North CarolinaState (2017, 2020) and Oklahoma (2018-19) and preliminary talks have been held with Georgia Tech and Radakovich.

Ausberry declined to identify who the most serious talks have been with about filling the 2008 holes.

He did say LSU’s scheduling philosophy will continue to be to playing home-and-home series with one BCS-level opponent each year, plus Tulane and two “buy” games. The Tigers began a 10-year home-and-home series with the Green Wave this season.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 10:18 AM
didn't we already have another good 1A/BS school lined up for 2008 besides LSU. cant remeber who. was it VT or Florida? that would make for a rough 2008 schedule with 2 SEC/1 ACC powerhouses

Saint3333
December 17th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Not trying to be cocky, but I doubt we'll see many BS teams lining up for that one next season

It will likely be difficult as the bottom of the FBS schools don't typically like to schedule the top FCS schools and the teams from the major conferences (SEC, Big 12, etc.) schedule their games 2-3 years in advance.

Looks like Cobb and Moore have their work cut out to fill the schedule because I doubt the top level FCS schools will schedule us (the fans would love it, but the admins stay away due to playoff implications). I foresee an away game similar to G-Webb...

Right now ASU only has 4 home games to my knowledge: G-Webb, GSU, UTC, and WCU.

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 07:27 PM
didn't we already have another good 1A/BS school lined up for 2008 besides LSU. cant remeber who. was it VT or Florida? that would make for a rough 2008 schedule with 2 SEC/1 ACC powerhouses
I think that team is Georgia for 2008. Could be wrong though.

yoself09
December 17th, 2006, 07:32 PM
call up NCSU
I'd like another shot at them
not gonna happen though

SoCon48
December 17th, 2006, 09:10 PM
It will likely be difficult as the bottom of the FBS schools don't typically like to schedule the top FCS schools and the teams from the major conferences (SEC, Big 12, etc.) schedule their games 2-3 years in advance.

Looks like Cobb and Moore have their work cut out to fill the schedule because I doubt the top level FCS schools will schedule us (the fans would love it, but the admins stay away due to playoff implications). I foresee an away game similar to G-Webb...

Right now ASU only has 4 home games to my knowledge: G-Webb, GSU, UTC, and WCU.

Good grief. I'd almost forgotten about GW. If another Mars Hill has to be on there, too, I'll be seriously thinking that Cobb needs to give up the scheduling duties and delegate them to someone else.

NativeAppy
December 17th, 2006, 10:54 PM
Some guy near our tailgate in Chattanooga (with a Yosef Club sticker on his car) said we had South Carolina for next year. Anyone heard that?

BigApp
December 17th, 2006, 11:04 PM
I doubt that one. We play enough in South Carolina next year as it is...

'neers79
December 17th, 2006, 11:22 PM
It would be tough, but we did play Kansas and LSU in 2005.:twocents:

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 11:28 PM
Some guy near our tailgate in Chattanooga (with a Yosef Club sticker on his car) said we had South Carolina for next year. Anyone heard that?
That one ain't gonna happen "The Ball Coach" had his hands full with Wofford this past year, a lost to any FCS team would equal massive callings for his head.

Mountaineer#96
December 17th, 2006, 11:32 PM
I'm really gonna be upset if all we can get into Boone this next year at home is G-Webb, GSU, Chatty, and Western. We need at least one good non-conf. match-up that is worthy of TV.

Would U. San Diego like to upgrade schedule strength??? Take a trip to Boone........:p

walliver
December 18th, 2006, 12:12 AM

South Carolina has booked in-state FCS games for the next 8 years. I doubt Spurrier would play two FCS teams in one year.

JaxSinfonian
December 18th, 2006, 12:22 AM
I'm really gonna be upset if all we can get into Boone this next year at home is G-Webb, GSU, Chatty, and Western. We need at least one good non-conf. match-up that is worthy of TV.

Jax State needs another non-con, preferably on the road if we're starting a multi-year series. Have your people call my people: JSU Athletic Department directory (http://www.jsugamecocksports.com/section_front.asp?arttypeid=501).

ASU Kep
December 18th, 2006, 01:42 AM
I'd personally love to see us play Jax State.

As far as UGA goes, our 2009 game (which I had already made concrete plans to attend being from GA and hating the Bulldogs) got moved to 2013. Obviously, UGA did not want to play Armanti, Mario, and Gary Tharrington in their senior seasons (although 2009 is looking to be a pretty damn good year for the Dawgs, too).

Also, there is going to be SERIOUS problems with ASU home games next year so the administration might be steering away from huge FCS games being held at KBS. According to the MMB and the official plans, the home side bathrooms and concession stand are going to be unavailable next year due to the expansion construction. I'm sure we'll have temp ones obviously, but a massive 25,000+ crowd would put some serious strain on the stadium.

mcveyrl
December 18th, 2006, 11:14 AM
My cousin, who goes to ASU, said something about playing Va. Tech next year...

Anybody know anything about that?

HiHiYikas
December 18th, 2006, 11:26 AM
My cousin, who goes to ASU, said something about playing Va. Tech next year...

Anybody know anything about that?
VA Tech is on ASU's schedule in a few years, I believe - like 2009 or 2010 - I don't know about next year.

AppMan
December 18th, 2006, 11:37 AM
I'd take a portion of the $75K LSU buy-out money and pay a healthy guarantee for a good OOC FCS school. however, some of that cash may also be going to pay for those extra 6,000 seats on the East Stands for next season as well.

SoCon48
December 18th, 2006, 12:57 PM
With our normal gate, we shouldn't have to bump up a guarantee. A home and home like with JMU should suffice. More $ isn't going to help them overcome being the next victim in the streak at the Rock. They know it will affect their play-off chances and seeding.
Cobb will get better at home scheduling. I hope. Still.'d take last year's MH and GW over having only 4 home games like LR gave us.

McNeese72
December 18th, 2006, 02:57 PM
just found an article (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=rivals-76339&prov=rivals&type=lgns) saying we were dropped from LSU's 2007 schedule.
article is from end of november. Did you guys already know about this because this is the first time Ive seen it.

They get scared or something?

At least you guys have been able to get a game ouf of LSU. That's better than any CS team in the State of Louisiana has been able to do. They'd rather give their big guarantees to out of state CS teams.

Doc

bodoyle
December 18th, 2006, 02:59 PM
You guys could come to the beach...oh wait you don't like comin' down the mountain. xlolx :smiley_wi

jmuroller
December 18th, 2006, 04:21 PM
As far as UGA goes, our 2009 game (which I had already made concrete plans to attend being from GA and hating the Bulldogs) got moved to 2013. Obviously, UGA did not want to play Armanti, Mario, and Gary Tharrington in their senior seasons (although 2009 is looking to be a pretty damn good year for the Dawgs, too).

Don't kid yourself...UGA could care less who your seniors are that year. The last thing they are worried about is who is on your(or any 1AA's) roster. I'm not talkin smack to App, but elite schoos in the SEC, especially UGA think that there is no way a 1AA can come in and beat them. I'm pretty sure it's a scheduling conflict that the conference brought up.

proasu89
December 18th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Don't kid yourself...UGA could care less who your seniors are that year. The last thing they are worried about is who is on your(or any 1AA's) roster. I'm not talkin smack to App, but elite schoos in the SEC, especially UGA think that there is no way a 1AA can come in and beat them. I'm pretty sure it's a scheduling conflict that the conference brought up.
Was it 2 or 3 years ago that GSU had Georgia beat only to let them get away?

Appguy
December 18th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Don't kid yourself...

I think he was joking

KAUMASS
December 18th, 2006, 06:56 PM
Call UMass..we'd love a rematch..Coach Brown will play anyone, anytime regardless of playoff implications. We have Boston College on our 2007 schedule, but usually every year there is a change in the schedule..Great game at the NC, you guys earned it..I was at the game and your team is excellent, your fans are respectful and your band is good too. I have in a way become an Appalachian St. fan. I will check box scores for App. next year and wish them well except if they play against any A-10 teams(colonial conference in 2007). App. State will probably run into an a-10(colonial) foe in the playoffs next year, so we will see you next year..Good luck..

ASU Kep
December 18th, 2006, 07:13 PM

I'm aware. ;)

james_lawfirm
December 18th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Scheduling difficulties seem to be directly related to a football program's success in the previous year.

Therefore, ain't NOBODY gonna wanna schedule us next year! :eyebrow:

All joking aside, I suggest considering Youngstown State for a home and home. Theirs were some classy and knowledgeable fans. And, I would welcome UMass as well. I would not object to scheduling Montana either.

But, Montana State should not be even considered. xidiotx

james_lawfirm
December 18th, 2006, 07:18 PM
You guys could come to the beach...oh wait you don't like comin' down the mountain. xlolx :smiley_wi

Oh, yeah. I forgot about Coastal. I would do a home and home with you guys too. But, I would like to request that your team not taunt our guys quite so much next time. Let's just play football & see what happens.

james_lawfirm
December 18th, 2006, 07:20 PM
Call UMass..we'd love a rematch..Coach Brown will play anyone, anytime regardless of playoff implications. We have Boston College on our 2007 schedule, but usually every year there is a change in the schedule..Great game at the NC, you guys earned it..I was at the game and your team is excellent, your fans are respectful and your band is good too. I have in a way become an Appalachian St. fan. I will check box scores for App. next year and wish them well except if they play against any A-10 teams(colonial conference in 2007). App. State will probably run into an a-10(colonial) foe in the playoffs next year, so we will see you next year..Good luck..

Thanks for the compliments.
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Have your AD call ours.

redbirdtim
December 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
I would love to play a home and home with App St., but I doubt that we'd see that. You can really measure how good you are by measuring up to the best. As for playing LSU, I bet they pay more than the average BCS school. You're probably looking at $400-$500k for the game if you play them in 2009. I think it was WIU who got $600k (or so I've been told) for playing at Nebraska-something I don't think any FCS school would mind. I can remember when they played WIU played both a few years ago and sounds like they both treated WIU pretty well.

Mr. C
December 18th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Scheduling difficulties seem to be directly related to a football program's success in the previous year.

Therefore, ain't NOBODY gonna wanna schedule us next year! :eyebrow:

All joking aside, I suggest considering Youngstown State for a home and home. Theirs were some classy and knowledgeable fans. And, I would welcome UMass as well. I would not object to scheduling Montana either.

But, Montana State should not be even considered. xidiotx
I had a conversation with Gateway Commissioner Patty Vivereto recently and the subject of a Youngstown State-Appalachian State contract came up. She said with the way that the playoff bids are now determined, there are not a lot of reasons for teams like that to play each other in the non-conference season. I personally would love to see that as a regular home and home, considering that YSU and ASU are only seven hours away from each other.

SoCon48
December 19th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Any school likes as many home games as they get.

Check your facts anyway, fellow. We only had 4 home games scheduled in 2005. Played on the road at EKU, Kansas, Citadel, Furman, Wofford, LSU, and Elon.Won the national championship, remember?
We earned our home play-off games.
Just like we failed to earn them in 2000 when we had to play all 3 on the road to Troy State, WKU, and Montana.

Besides we make good money playing at the Rock, we don't
get jack crap playing in a 7K stadium.

th0m
December 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM
How about ASU vs. NDSU....

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 09:49 AM
How about ASU vs. NDSU....
Sounds like a good game to me! :hurray:

Catsfan
December 19th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Can't recall where I read it, but the fact that Florida played a game with Western Carolina and that nearly kept them out of the BCS championship game makes it unlikely that any of the truly elite I-A programs will schedule any FCS games in the near future (under current BCS rules).

eaglesrthe1
December 19th, 2006, 12:23 PM

It's a screwed up situation when the conference has control of your out of conference scheduling. It seems to me that if the SEC wanted to make LSU have a Thursday night game, then they would have scheduled them to play an SEC opponent.

Tealblood
December 19th, 2006, 12:50 PM
it will be an sec opponent