PDA

View Full Version : Albany vs. Dayton in 2015

Boogs
March 29th, 2016, 05:11 PM
If a replay of a past Gridiron Classic took place in 2015, the 'pure points' rating method would have the following result:

Albany - 18
at Dayton - 20

Dayton - 16
at Albany 21

Neutral Site
Albany - 20
Dayton - 18

Albany was 3-8
Dayton was 10-2

Albany's defense ranked 56th out of 125
Dayton's defense ranked 59th out of 125

Albany's offense ranked 85th out of 125
Dayton's offense ranked 88th out of 125

Source for the data (my website): http://media.wix.com/ugd/84c233_23aaa1ea27cf4c098b39296d2ba9e58a.pdf

Notice the huge variation in records between the two schools -- 3-8 vs. 10-2

Albany's a little better and stayed home for the holidays.

Lehigh'98
March 29th, 2016, 08:31 PM
Is your point to show a 63 scholarship CAA school would be favored over a zero scholarship playoff school according to the computers?? Color me shocked :) interesting website though, care to share your calculations?

Dayton put up a good fight against their MVFC opponent in the playoffs btw!!

Boogs
March 29th, 2016, 08:52 PM
Is your point to show a 63 scholarship CAA school would be favored over a zero scholarship playoff school according to the computers?? Color me shocked :) interesting website though, care to share your calculations?

Dayton put up a good fight against their MVFC opponent in the playoffs btw!!

The calculation is a minimized sum of squared errors process.

Here's where I got the idea which is not my own original piece of work by the way. I just copied the idea and applied it to FCS:
https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Using-Solver-to-rate-sports-teams-F063257D-1008-46B7-8811-C723C64A7651

Instead of using Microsoft Excel Solver I wrote my own software to do the task.

The gist is if Team A beats Team B by 30 and Team B beats Team C by 10, the calculation says Team A will beat Team C by 40.

Well ...that being said, I watched the Dayton game online.

1) The players for Western Illinois were noticeably bigger.
2) The game was played before a sparse crowd in a small stadium by FCS standards.
3) The students were on Thanksgiving break and the only folks in the stands were former UD players...as the announcing crew mentioned.
4) Rain paid a visit and kept some fans away.
5) Ohio State played Michigan on that same day.

Honestly, I saw this coming. I wasn't excited about it. I'd be more excited to see Dayton battle Ohio Dominican and/or Grand Valley State in a playoff. There's no chance for sustained success at the FCS playoff level here and everyone should know that.

DetroitFlyer
March 30th, 2016, 07:38 PM
Yawn.

Paladin1aa
March 31st, 2016, 10:31 AM
Dayton ? FCS football ?

xlolx

Boogs
March 31st, 2016, 04:26 PM
Dayton ? FCS football ?

xlolx

How would you like it if Youngstown State was forced to play FBS ball?

DetroitFlyer
April 1st, 2016, 01:25 PM
Double yawn. Please go troll somewhere else.

BisonFan02
April 1st, 2016, 03:16 PM
Dayton ? FCS football ?

xlolx

Its time for YSU to join the Pioneer anyway...maybe you could make the postseason then? Might cause less of a drag on your budget too. xthumbsupx

Thumper 76
April 1st, 2016, 06:58 PM
How would you like it if Youngstown State was forced to play FBS ball?

Is this the general feeling about it from Dayton fans?

Boogs
April 1st, 2016, 07:52 PM
Is this the general feeling about it from Dayton fans?

Don't know if my views are in the majority. I think I have the better arguments/talking points.

I assume the vast majority of UD football fans are the players/parents themselves and I have to believe those folks want FCS even if it means it's virtually impossible to get out of the first round, let alone any further.

It all depends on what you would define as a UD football fan as well. If you throw out current and past UD players as part of the eligible fan base ....well....I don't hear much chatter around the Dayton area water cooler breakroom so-to-speak.

NY Crusader 2010
April 2nd, 2016, 11:00 PM
Don't know if my views are in the majority. I think I have the better arguments/talking points.

I assume the vast majority of UD football fans are the players/parents themselves and I have to believe those folks want FCS even if it means it's virtually impossible to get out of the first round, let alone any further

And the alternative is.....

Boogs
April 3rd, 2016, 08:09 AM
And the alternative is.....

Putting forth the effort to get the NCAA to change their rules to allow schools like Dayton to be D2.

BisonFan02
April 3rd, 2016, 01:18 PM
Putting forth the effort to get the NCAA to change their rules to allow schools like Dayton to be D2.

Or DIII. DII is still too many schollies for you guys right now.