PDA

View Full Version : WR Dalton Daum Leaves Griz Football Program

superman7515
March 16th, 2016, 08:29 PM
http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/wr-dalton-daum-leaves-griz-football-program/article_1369ddfa-3fea-5823-aa4b-58d7b967d31b.html

Redshirt freshman Dalton Daum has left the Montana Grizzlies football program, the receiver confirmed to the Missoulian on Saturday.

"I just wasn't happy there and never felt like I was apart (sic) of the team," Daum said in a message...

Silenoz
March 17th, 2016, 02:51 PM
Thread worthy? Dude never played a down

ST_Lawson
March 17th, 2016, 03:48 PM

I'd say no. Every team has young players that realize that they're not likely to start much, if at all, in the next few years, just decide that D1 isn't for them, or decide they want to be closer to home and end up transferring to a usually a DII or III school.

If that kid had been highly regarded coming in and had blown up his freshman year and then transferred (like Van Ginkel at South Dakota, for example), then yes, but if they didn't even play a down...nope.

ursus arctos horribilis
March 17th, 2016, 04:02 PM
I'd say no. Every team has young players that realize that they're not likely to start much, if at all, in the next few years, just decide that D1 isn't for them, or decide they want to be closer to home and end up transferring to a usually a DII or III school.

If that kid had been highly regarded coming in and had blown up his freshman year and then transferred (like Van Ginkel at South Dakota, for example), then yes, but if they didn't even play a down...nope.

This is a bit more interesting though because Stitt has said in an article a few months back that the Griz are likely to see a bit more departures as they are not necessarily gonna fit into what he is trying to do. I think this kid was fairly talented coming out of HS and so forth but for whatever reason he decided to make a go of it elsewhere. Wish him luck.

I'm interested because there isn't much Griz news posted here anymore and I depend on my Delaware buddies to keep me up to date. xlolx

superman7515
March 17th, 2016, 04:08 PM

Not so much about him, but I can't copy the whole article, as it was interesting to read, "Daum is the latest of several underclassmen receivers to exit the program since the end of last season."

I was hoping one of you Grizwolds would fill us in on why all your young WR's are bailing out and what, if any, impact these players were expected to make next season. Will the departure of these "several" players affect the team? Were they all bums who wouldn't have played anyway? If so, why are you suddenly recruiting that many bad players?

I'm not so much interested in this one player as I am the collective exodus of young talent that the Missoulian leads the reader to believe is happening.

Bisonator
March 17th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Not so much about him, but I can't copy the whole article, as it was interesting to read, "Daum is the latest of several underclassmen receivers to exit the program since the end of last season."

I was hoping one of you Grizwolds would fill us in on why all your young WR's are bailing out and what, if any, impact these players were expected to make next season. Will the departure of these "several" players affect the team? Were they all bums who wouldn't have played anyway? If so, why are you suddenly recruiting that many bad players?

I'm not so much interested in this one player as I am the collective exodus of young talent that the Missoulian leads the reader to believe is happening.
Are you implying the Stitt hit the fan?:D

Grizalltheway
March 17th, 2016, 05:01 PM

Well it was worthy of a 15 page thread on eGriz...until it got locked, of course. xlolx

ursus arctos horribilis
March 17th, 2016, 05:10 PM

We had some information up previously I had thought but those leaving were not Stitt's recruits. We will now have a major "platooning" of the WR talents and so forth. Some of these guys may have been under the impression from the previous coach that something different would be happening for them...I can't really say for sure.

There was an article during the season last year where Stitt hinted that we all might expect to see some upheaval in the WR ranks. He uses a **** ton of them but he apparently wants a particular fit with those he will be playing.

Or, it could be any number of other reasons for any particular kid as well.

BisonFan02
March 17th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Well it was worthy of a 15 page thread on eGriz...until it got locked, of course. xlolx

It got locked? Impossible.... xlolx

MR. CHICKEN
March 17th, 2016, 06:50 PM
...SEND DUH X-GRIZZWOLDS...TO DUH FIRST STATE.......EVEN IFIN' BAD WR'S........GOTTAH BE BETTERAH......DAN OURAH...TERRIBLE ONES.......AWK!

mvemjsunpx
March 17th, 2016, 08:54 PM
This doesn't apply to Daum himself because he was a Stitt recruit, but the Delaney-era recruiting strategy was to bring in a high number of players with partials & PWOs and sort out who would earn the full rides later. This guaranteed a decent amount of turnover regardless of who the current coach is.

ST_Lawson
March 18th, 2016, 08:22 AM
This doesn't apply to Daum himself because he was a Stitt recruit, but the Delaney-era recruiting strategy was to bring in a high number of players with partials & PWOs and sort out who would earn the full rides later. This guaranteed a decent amount of turnover regardless of who the current coach is.

We kinda saw the same thing when Fisher got here. Not specifically that Nielson had a ton of not-full-scholarship players, but just that when the new staff got here, they had their own priorities for players and what they wanted to see. So we had a few more players than usual who chose not to return...mostly in positions where we are already really deep.

IBleedYellow
March 18th, 2016, 08:47 AM
Not sure why it's huge news?

Stitt has a system, and needs/wants certain players for said system. Sounds like he was recruited by Stitt, though - that's the only thing that would be a "glaring" issue, IMO. (and it still isn't much)

CrazyCat
March 18th, 2016, 10:05 AM
He was one of the top recruits in his class in MT. He verballed to the Cats with a full ride while the Griz offered a partial. Stitt was hired and he promptly offered him a full ride. Daum changed his mind and signed with the Griz. That was "huge" news for the in-state recruiting battle between the Cats and Griz.

I can guess on why he left, but it doesn't really matter. I just hope he can get his personal issues straightened out.

I forgot to mention that he is very fast and I hope he finds his way to MSU to continue what I think his best sport was. Track.

Grizalltheway
March 18th, 2016, 10:47 AM
He was one of the top recruits in his class in MT. He verballed to the Cats with a full ride while the Griz offered a partial. Stitt was hired and he promptly offered him a full ride. Daum changed his mind and signed with the Griz. That was "huge" news for the in-state recruiting battle between the Cats and Griz.

I can guess on why he left, but it doesn't really matter. I just hope he can get his personal issues straightened out.

I forgot to mention that he is very fast and I hope he finds his way to MSU to continue what I think his best sport was. Track.

I can't even bring myself to check BobcatNation for fear of the field day they're having over this one. xlolxxsmhx

BisonFan02
March 18th, 2016, 11:06 AM
I can't even bring myself to check BobcatNation for fear of the field day they're having over this one. xlolxxsmhx

I have found that one's quality of life increases with the reduction of time spent on competitive rube boards. xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
March 18th, 2016, 11:38 AM
I have found that one's quality of life increases with the reduction of time spent on competitive rube boards. xthumbsupx

I feel the same way about eGriz, too. xnodx

BisonFan02
March 18th, 2016, 11:45 AM
I feel the same way about eGriz, too. xnodx

Same can be said about Bisonville.... xlolx

WTFCollegefootballfan
March 18th, 2016, 12:19 PM
Same can be said about Bisonville.... xlolx

Share Gif: http://media1.giphy.com/media/13c2YVh83qgJRS/200w.gif

BisonFan02
March 18th, 2016, 12:28 PM
Share Gif: http://media1.giphy.com/media/13c2YVh83qgJRS/200w.gif

FIFY

http://media1.giphy.com/media/13c2YVh83qgJRS/200w.gif

Silenoz
March 18th, 2016, 04:15 PM

I dunno, I feel like we've had approximately five million receivers on our roster the last few years. Probably way overdue for some attrition