PDA

View Full Version : Freshman QB???????

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 10:17 AM
There were a lot of doubters this year:nod: , many from App. St. xidiotx questioning the ability of Armanti Edwards,as a true freshman, to lead them to the title (Mr. C.). It turns out maybe Coach Moore wasn't quite as crazy as some of you thought.
Too many of you stereo-type players:nono: into certain catagories. You have to look at the individual. I didn't save all of the quotes, but you know who you are:smiley_wi . What do you think now?

Let's see how Armanti's freshman year :eek: stacked up against all-time records at ASU.

1153 yds rushing in a season 8th best all-time(1st for QB)
15 rushing TDs 4th best all-time (1st for QB)
2251 yds passing in a season 7th best all-time
61 % comp. in a season 4th best all-time
3404 yds total offense in a season 2nd best all-time:eek:
Lead App. State to title tied for 1st with one
7 250yd total off. game season tied for 1st
4 consecutive 250yd TO games tied for 1st
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

hmmmm, not to shabby.

Good luck Armanti for the next three years, just take it easy on the Dogs.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Take it easy on everyone, Edwards. :thumbsup:

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 04:28 PM
There were a lot of doubters this year:nod: , many from App. St. xidiotx questioning the ability of Armanti Edwards,as a true freshman, to lead them to the title (Mr. C.). It turns out maybe Coach Moore wasn't quite as crazy as some of you thought.
Too many of you stereo-type players:nono: into certain catagories. You have to look at the individual. I didn't save all of the quotes, but you know who you are:smiley_wi . What do you think now?

Let's see how Armanti's freshman year :eek: stacked up against all-time records at ASU.

1153 yds rushing in a season 8th best all-time(1st for QB)
15 rushing TDs 4th best all-time (1st for QB)
2251 yds passing in a season 7th best all-time
61 % comp. in a season 4th best all-time
3404 yds total offense in a season 2nd best all-time:eek:
Lead App. State to title tied for 1st with one
7 250yd total off. game season tied for 1st
4 consecutive 250yd TO games tied for 1st
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

hmmmm, not to shabby.

Good luck Armanti for the next three years, just take it easy on the Dogs.
NO ONE was EVER questioning Armanti's ability. That was ALWAYS obvious from the young man's first practice. Would you get over this stuff? My comments related to Edwards having to learn some things (he had some struggles early with reading coverages and make the right decions, but from the Furman game on was brilliant in ALL aspects). I was being objective, that is all. My major criticism was that the manner in which the change was handled was done very badly by Coach Moore and quarterback coach Scott Satterfield. Hey, all of us make mistakes. They were fortunate that Edwards and Trey Elder are such great kids that their fumble of things didn't cost the team. Strong chracter won out.

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Okay, I'm over it.:D

JohnStOnge
December 16th, 2006, 06:56 PM
I think one thing that tends to happen to players that come in early and have great years is that the next year teams from the same conference have had a chance to look at their performances, analyze them, identify their strenghts and weaknesses, and be better prepared to counter.

I think that sometimes players are so good that there aren't that many weaknesses to identify so they keep performaing really well all the way through.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Edwards last year.

One thing interesting about last night....at least to my recollection (partially because the TV guys mentioned it) is that UMass kept blitzing from Edwards' right and he's left handed. He kept rolling left away from the blitz. I wonder if UMass' coaches, having had a chance to watch film and think about it, would do the same thing if they played him again or if they'd instead spend a lot of time blitzing from his left to force him to roll to the right.

Course maybe App was doing something with its formations that caused UMass to blitz from that side. Don't know.

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 09:53 PM
One of the reasons teams blitz like that is that they want to attack a player from his blind side. If timed right, blind-side blitzes can be hard to read and QBs can be late detecting them. ASU did a great job of blitz recognition and had very good blocking schemes to handle them. The receivers were also to be commended for their reads to get into position for hot routes (special plug for Dexter Jackson here) and Edwards not only hung in the pocket well, he had great timing of when to release the ball. Edwards also did a great job of decision-making about when to scramble from pressure. The biggest improvement I saw in him (particularly after the Georgia Southern game) was how he really improved on when to tuck the ball and run and when to hang in there and pass.

ASU's coaches did a great job of game planning and preparing their players to execute against a tough UMass defense. There were a lot of times when the Mountaineers beat blitzes to make big plays.