PDA

View Full Version : Appalachian State and I-A transfers

JohnStOnge
December 16th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Looking at App's roster at http://www.goasu.com/football/roster/ I only see two I-A transfers. One is QB Chase Laws from Army and the other is TE Brian Stokes from East Carolina. Don't remember if Stokes starts or not but I recall him playing. Since my understanding is that Trey Elder is #2 at QB, I'm guessing Laws was no higher than #3 on the depth chart at QB.

If I'm right about I-A tranfers not really playing a major role in the overall quality of the team, I like that. I remember that at the beginning of the game last night they talked about how talented UMass was and started talking about I-A transfers.

Nothing against I-A transfers, but I'm glad a team that didn't rely heavily on them won the championship and would've had a good shot at winning the national title without them (probably would have...though I think maybe it was Stokes that caught that key pass on the last TD drive (don't remember).

HiHiYikas
December 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Neither Stokes nor Laws is high on the depth chart, but they make excellent contributions on special teams.

Stokes is the Purple-heart receiving ex Marine, who is 28 years old. His career at ECU ended before he ever played a game. I believe he hurt his knee (?) in practice his freshman season, or something like that.

appfan2008
December 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Stokes is 4 string tight end and does not get into the game at that position... he has been to Iraq and is 26 or 28 years old, basically he busts up the wedge on kickoffs... and he did not catch any passes

Chase Laws was third string quarterback but within the last few weeks was moved to wide reciever and Hunter Stewart is our new third stringer... Chase sees a little time a special teams but that is it...

You left out 2...

Julian Rauch is our kicker and punter... He is really good and came from East Carolina

Now this where I am going to sound like an idiot App fan so I could use some help... I know it was either Omar Byrom or Daniel Orlebar (both starting interior defensive lineman) that went to Wake Forest...

That is it, those four

BearsCountry
December 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
That is what we hope to build at Missouri State program with out the aid of transfers. Hats off to App State!

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 10:20 AM
That is what we hope to build at Missouri State program with out the aid of transfers. Hats off to App State!

What is the difference between the aid of transfers and the aid of players out of high school?

B&G
December 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
What is the difference between the aid of transfers and the aid of players out of high school?

Perspective. If a player transfers to a CS school, then idiots like ESPN announcers will skew it that those players will automatically be the best on the team b/c they were accepted at a bigger program. Just look at the guys last night. They made sure to point it out every time there was a transfer. Same as last year when they were giving verbal fellatio to David Horne b/c he transferred from Nebraska. If there was no difference they wouldn't mention it. You don't hear them mention what high school they came from.

UMass922
December 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Perspective. If a player transfers to a CS school, then idiots like ESPN announcers will skew it that those players will automatically be the best on the team b/c they were accepted at a bigger program. Just look at the guys last night. They made sure to point it out every time there was a transfer. Same as last year when they were giving verbal fellatio to David Horne b/c he transferred from Nebraska. If there was no difference they wouldn't mention it. You don't hear them mention what high school they came from.

Agreed. Which is to say that there is no difference between the "aid" offered by I-A transfers and that offered by "home-grown" players--just a perceived difference by the uninformed likes of Gilmore & Co. at ESPN. But I just wasn't sure if BearsCountry was implying that there actually is a difference, which is why I asked.

Eyes of Old Main
December 16th, 2006, 11:32 PM
If a player transfers to a CS school, then idiots like ESPN announcers will skew it that those players will automatically be the best on the team b/c they were accepted at a bigger program.

I find this frustrating as well. It was the same way in 2003 when Wofford played Delaware. All you heard about was all the transfers the Hens had. But, they took care of business, so I guess it was right in that circumstance, but still annoying.

There definately needs to be some perspective that those players left the big school for a reason whether it be discipline, grades, lack of playing time, conflict with coaches or lack of talent.

asu70
December 17th, 2006, 05:55 PM
Stokes is 4 string tight end and does not get into the game at that position... he has been to Iraq and is 26 or 28 years old, basically he busts up the wedge on kickoffs... and he did not catch any passes

Chase Laws was third string quarterback but within the last few weeks was moved to wide reciever and Hunter Stewart is our new third stringer... Chase sees a little time a special teams but that is it...

You left out 2...

Julian Rauch is our kicker and punter... He is really good and came from East Carolina

Now this where I am going to sound like an idiot App fan so I could use some help... I know it was either Omar Byrom or Daniel Orlebar (both starting interior defensive lineman) that went to Wake Forest...

That is it, those four
Daniel Orlebar would be the transfer from WF... as he came to App along with his brother Arthur who was a good DL on the 2005 National Championship team.