PDA

View Full Version : Seven-game conference slate possible for SWAC football in 2007

MACHIAVELLI
December 16th, 2006, 08:48 AM
Seven-game slate possible for SWAC

By JOSEPH SCHIEFELBEIN
Advocate sportswriter
Published: Dec 16, 2006

BIRMINGHAM, Ala. — The Southwestern Athletic Conference might return to mandating its members play seven conference football games next season.

The 2005 season was the first in which all nine games counted. Though that setup simplifies how games are counted, there apparently is growing sentiment to revert to a seven-game mandate.

The subject came up at the conference’s winter meetings this week. The presidents, who hold the power in the conference, will meet to decide on the format next month.

“(Thursday) we talked about nine game vs. seven game,” SWAC Commissioner Robert Vowels Jr. said. “So, we’ve got that back on the table. There’s a real lean toward the seven game, especially if the 12th game comes into it.”

Southern Athletic Director Greg LaFleur said SU’s stance is likely to be for the seven-game format.

Members of Division I-AA, which will be the Championship Subdivision next season, will soon vote on adding a 12th game.

The SWAC swelled to 10 members and divisional play in 1999, with only a team’s four divisional games counting that first season. A seven-game format began in 2000. Initially, the seven games consisted of four divisional foes plus a rotation of three games against teams from the other division. The rotation was later ditched, with the top three teams from the previous year’s standings counted.

The downside to the seven-game mandate is the confusion. Conference teams continued to play each other in order to maintain traditional rivalries (and paydays) in games that didn’t count, and then the “top three” scenario led to games counting for one team but not the other.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/4934721.html

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2006, 11:22 AM
Would it be too late for the SWAC schools to pick up some more OOC games if they went to seven-games this quickly? Perhaps, 2008 would be much better for the switch...

Switching to seven-games this late in the 'game', especially if the 12-games does not happen til 2008 would probably mean a lot of SWAC games against sub-Div I schools, and I don't think anyone wants that...

Best of luck to the SWAC! :)

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Would be great to see some more OOC SWAC games.

TexasTerror
December 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Agreed...let's get that SWAC/SLC Challege in Shreveport! :hurray:

Mr. Tiger
December 16th, 2006, 07:29 PM
Agreed...let's get that SWAC/SLC Challege in Shreveport! :hurray:

I can get behind that idea.

MACHIAVELLI
December 16th, 2006, 10:08 PM
The Eddie Robinson Classic in Shreveport is ready to go as soon as the 9 game mandate is dropped and the 12th game is added. Grambling will rotate a regional team every year. (Northwestern, SFA, SELA, ULM, MSU, NSU etc.)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 17th, 2006, 12:15 AM
Say hello to GSU hosting Prairie View as a OOC game.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 07:13 AM

That'd be the wrong message by the SWAC...

One would think that Grambling would play PVA&M yearly anyway as they are in the same division and they play a Classic in Dallas at the Texas State Fair, the week before the Oklahoma-Texas game...

SUjagTILLiDIE
December 17th, 2006, 10:57 AM
That'd be the wrong message by the SWAC...

One would think that Grambling would play PVA&M yearly anyway as they are in the same division and they play a Classic in Dallas at the Texas State Fair, the week before the Oklahoma-Texas game...
I think a eight game mandate would work better. I couldn't imagine a year where Southern/Jackson State or Southern/Alcorn wouldn't be on the schedule. No way these schools would not play each other.

MACHIAVELLI
December 17th, 2006, 11:27 AM
I think a eight game mandate would work better. I couldn't imagine a year where Southern/Jackson State or Southern/Alcorn wouldn't be on the schedule. No way these schools would not play each other.

That would be left up to the schools. Just because a team that is not on your SWAC official rotation schedule doesn't mean you still can't play them. I like the 7 game mandate and the 12th game. I propose if a team rotates off your official SWAC schedule and the teams still want to play. Those schools sign a two year deal. The game wouldn't count towards the standings.

MACHIAVELLI
December 17th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Do you mean THE ICON, GSU or the GaSou, GSU?

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 03:37 PM
That would be left up to the schools. Just because a team that is not on your SWAC official rotation schedule doesn't mean you still can't play them. I like the 7 game mandate and the 12th game. I propose if a team rotates off your official SWAC schedule and the teams still want to play. Those schools sign a two year deal. The game wouldn't count towards the standings.

I think having a team in the conference on your schedule as an OOC game does nothing for your team, conference. If anything, it takes away from the purpose of doing away with the nine-game mandate while hurting the lesser schools in the conference because they'd be left out in the cold with this...

It's not beneficial. It should be the 'last resort', but I'm sure SWAC teams can find OOC games if they seek them, including attractive 'pay games' against FBS schools and regional/national attention-grabbing FCS games...

MACHIAVELLI
December 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
You don't understand.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 06:45 PM
You don't understand.

So the point of getting rid of the mandate is to continue to play SWAC games as out of conference games?

Seems to me, since we "don't understand" that the point of tossing the mandate from your standpoint is so certain SWAC schools don't have to worry about having to play the Texas Southerns and Prairie View A&Ms of the SWAC yearly while maintaining rivalry games against SWAC schools that may not be on the schedule...:bang:

SWAC should just stick to the nine-game mandate if that's the plans of the ADs from SWAC school...just ramp up the OOC with SWAC foes who don't make their league schedule...xidiotx

Mr. Tiger
December 17th, 2006, 07:49 PM
So the point of getting rid of the mandate is to continue to play SWAC games as out of conference games?

Seems to me, since we "don't understand" that the point of tossing the mandate from your standpoint is so certain SWAC schools don't have to worry about having to play the Texas Southerns and Prairie View A&Ms of the SWAC yearly while maintaining rivalry games against SWAC schools that may not be on the schedule...:bang:

SWAC should just stick to the nine-game mandate if that's the plans of the ADs from SWAC school...just ramp up the OOC with SWAC foes who don't make their league schedule...xidiotx

I don't believe that would be the plan TT. Most SWAC schools would seek OOC matchups with FCS or bowl system schools than schedule conference teams. But remember HBCU football is different because we have classics and promoters can invite two SWAC schools to play in a non-conference matchup.

TexasTerror
December 17th, 2006, 08:08 PM
I don't believe that would be the plan TT. Most SWAC schools would seek OOC matchups with FCS or bowl system schools than schedule conference teams. But remember HBCU football is different because we have classics and promoters can invite two SWAC schools to play in a non-conference matchup.

I would hope it wouldn't be the plan. I can understand Classics (seeing as that along with the basketball teams attempt to fund Title IX sports), but I just hope it doesn't become reality that SWAC teams continually play out of conference games against in-conference schools. It'd be pretty lame...:nono:

MACHIAVELLI
December 21st, 2006, 10:03 PM
Some people just don't get it.

3rd Coast Tiger
December 21st, 2006, 10:55 PM

If this were to come about, I'd be interested to see how successful SWAC schools were as it relates to scheduling...

Obviously, your 'big three' of JSU, SU and Grambling would probably be able to do pretty well...but would this lead to other schools scheduling more Lincolns, Langstons and Paul Quinns...?

Best of luck, SWAC!

Damn man! Make your mind up. You are purely amazing.

MACHIAVELLI
December 21st, 2006, 11:08 PM
There is no such thing as the Big 3 in the SWAC.

jstate83
December 22nd, 2006, 09:04 AM
I been wanting to junk this 9 game mess since day 1.

7 games is perfect and like Mach said, if a school is still not on your schedule, you have the room to fit them in.

With a 7 game mandate, JSU could keep Tenn St at the SHC and keep that going.
It looks like we will be back on USM's schedule in 2008 and both AD's would like to work out a multi-year plan.
Won't even mention how long it's been since we played FAMU.

We would still have 1 and maybe 2 games left in a 12 game schedule to play with.
9 games are killing us.:bang:

Ditch it quick. :nod:

SU Jag
December 23rd, 2006, 01:44 PM

Yes!:nod: It would!