PDA

View Full Version : Armanti Edwards and the O-Line.

Tribe4SF
December 16th, 2006, 06:38 AM
Just an exceptional performance by this kid. Beyond his quickness, speed and tenacity, he showed pocket presence, field vision, accuracy and arm strength throughout the game.

The big difference in the game was the gradual dominance of the App State offensive line. Richardson's yards became easier as the game wore on, and the o-line created seams for both he and Edwards on a regular basis.

This ASU team ranks up there with the best ever.

igo4uni
December 16th, 2006, 07:21 AM
Yeah, hard to believe that Edwards is just a freshman. He's awesome!!

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Will App St go for 5 straight? :eek:

BrevardMountaineer03
December 16th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Just an exceptional performance by this kid. Beyond his quickness, speed and tenacity, he showed pocket presence, field vision, accuracy and arm strength throughout the game.

The big difference in the game was the gradual dominance of the App State offensive line. Richardson's yards became easier as the game wore on, and the o-line created seams for both he and Edwards on a regular basis.

Wow, that's a really big compliment. I think everybody saw last night what ASU fans have been saying for awhile, Edwards is excepetional. He didn't play like a Freshman, and that interception was great coverage. 3 more years of having an awesome QB:hurray:

appfan2008
December 16th, 2006, 10:11 AM
ASU fans havent been saying it more than about 2 months... I remember at the Mars Hill game when he first started everyone was in shock and pissed off... boy have times changed!

Mountain Panther
December 16th, 2006, 10:18 AM
How many starters are back next year?

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM
How many starters are back next year?

QB
RB
4/5 wideouts
1/2 TE
4/5 O-line
2/4 D-line
2/3 LB
3/4 DB
P
K

Biggest replacements will be Murrell, Mayfield, and Robertson the way I see it. We evidently have some potential studs that were redshirting this year, we'll see how that pans out along with our 2006-07 recruiting.

PantherRob82
December 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM
wow :eek:

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 11:35 AM
ASU fans havent been saying it more than about 2 months... I remember at the Mars Hill game when he first started everyone was in shock and pissed off... boy have times changed!

Exactly! Many app. had little faith in the decison.

B&G
December 16th, 2006, 11:36 AM
QB
RB
4/5 wideouts
1/2 TE
4/5 O-line
2/4 D-line
2/3 LB
3/4 DB
P
K

Biggest replacements will be Murrell, Mayfield, and Robertson the way I see it. We evidently have some potential studs that were redshirting this year, we'll see how that pans out along with our 2006-07 recruiting.

The D-Line looks very thin next year with Byrom and Orlebar graduating too. I think the offense will be fine. The D needs some guys to step up Tharrington style.

B&G
December 16th, 2006, 11:41 AM
Exactly! Many app. had little faith in the decison.

Really? Everyone I talked to at the time thought it was obvious Elder didn't look fully recovered from surgery. And when you have a sputtering offense the most popular player on the team is the backup QB.

Maybe the people who doubted it didn't lack faith in the decision... maybe they just didn't want to give up faith in Trey.

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 12:02 PM
wow :eek:

Key will be how we recover on the D-line. That sets up our defense. lso, Devon Moore will be a sophomore and probably seeing more PT with KR in the backfield.

When we won it last year, they said it was a year ahead of schedule, that 2006 was the year they thought it would all come together. Now we got a lot of players with two rings that are coming back.

Next year, graduation will hit us hard though. Really hard, as in the remainder of our DB's and many of our key offensive spots. So we need to get one more ring outta this group then hope for a good quick start by the next two classes of recruits to stay in the mix. :)

youwouldno
December 16th, 2006, 12:32 PM
It's hard to keep up App St's current level of dominance, even returning the majority of players the next year. The thing about football is that it's the ultimate team sport... you never know how personnel changes at a few places can effect the whole effort.

App St's offense will be fine but there's no way to know about the defense. App St fans at this point probably think they will have an unstoppable defense for the rest of time, but when you lose key components off one of the best FCS defenses of all-time, it's far from a given.

The D-line was really the key for App St, in both '05 and '06. App's DBs are tremendous but everything flowed from a DL that didn't need lots of blitzing help to get into the backfield. App St will still be a contender but I don't see the same level of defense.

majorbta
December 16th, 2006, 12:37 PM
The D-line was really the key for App St, in both '05 and '06. App's DBs are tremendous but everything flowed from a DL that didn't need lots of blitzing help to get into the backfield. App St will still be a contender but I don't see the same level of defense.

And so it starts again...

Black and Gold Express
December 16th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Wow, you didn't even let a day go by this time.

Before we get back to our regular scheduled program, "Furman, God's Gift to I-AA Football" :rolleyes: , we should take a moment to note that we've been consistently bringing in and putting out all-conference defensive linemen for at least the last 12 years I have been connected to ASU. Unless you're just wishing, there's no legitimate reason to think we're going to stop recruiting and bringing in quality talent on the d-lines. In fact, according to the coaches we've got a group of redshirts that could make a serious impact next year on both lines. Plus having these consecutive titles should help us rather well in this year's recruiting.

We'll be a little green in the beginning, but I trust the coaches evaluation of what they have in the hopper already and am not worried that after a week or two of break-in, we'll be just as strong with Tharrington leading the charge in 2007.

BULLDOG8180
December 16th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Really? Everyone I talked to at the time thought it was obvious Elder didn't look fully recovered from surgery. And when you have a sputtering offense the most popular player on the team is the backup QB.

Maybe the people who doubted it didn't lack faith in the decision... maybe they just didn't want to give up faith in Trey.

I am from Armanti's hometown, still live in Greenwood SC,and have followed his career throughout high school, and have seen him play many games. I know him personally and know some of the struggles he has had to face at a young age. I am sure some of those struggles, have made him the cool, calm freshman that he is. I was excited for him when he got the opportunity, and I made several posts on AGS about him, before and after the Mars Hill game. Several App. St. faithful had much less confidence in Armanti and accused Coach Moore sacrificing this season for the future. Making comments like "when we played someone good, other than Mars Hill or Gardner-Webb we will see that it was a mistake to play a freshman." Mr. C was not a fan of the move, though I think he has come around a little.

However, I do understand some of you guys hesitating on jumping on with the Armanti decision. I also got to see Trey play a couple of games in high school and he was a teriffic player. But, Armanti was special, he could carry a team by himself if he needed to. At App. St. that hasn't really been needed because of the talent that is surrounding him. But, if it becomes necessary in the future, believe me he can do it. I only wish that he was a bulldog.

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 03:06 PM
ASU has produced 11 All-American defensive ends between Anthony Downs in 1987 and Marques Murrell in 2006. Gary Tharrington should be the next in that lineage. Jerry Moore is high on Daniel Finnerty, a 6-2, 250-pounder from Lawrenceville, Ga. who was a redshirt freshman in 2006. Finnerty was originally recruited as a defensive tackle and he has better size than than recent ASU DEs (other than Tharrington).

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
QB
RB
4/5 wideouts
1/2 TE
4/5 O-line
2/4 D-line
2/3 LB
3/4 DB
P
K

The Mountaineers lose four All-Americans, Murrell, Wiggins, Isenhour and Bettis, but Billy Riddle will be a strong replacement for Wiggins and there are some great linemen coming up to take over for Isenhour and Robertson. Experienced John Holt will likely take over at one of those spots. Dominique Wilson showed some promise at TE as a receiver when he played for an injured Bettis. Wilson is more in the mode of a Daniel Wilcox, than a true tight end, but Nic Cardwell is a great blocker, so Cardwell and Wilson could share that position in a productive manner next season. Anthony Williams had a nice freshman year, spelling Daniel Orlebar at DT and is compared to former All-American Jackie Lee Avery (he even looks quite a bit like Avery, facially). Monte Smith was an athlete hybrid at outside linebacker, with the speed to cover guys and the strength to make tackles against the running game. The Mountaineers are very deep at linebacker, but it will be hard to find someone who possesses Smith's skill set.

The biggest key for ASU will be continuing the leadership side of things that has been so important in 2005-06. The offensive line loses a great leader in Matt Isenhour. Bettis and Wiggins were also major leaders. And don't downplay the loss of third-string TE Brian Stokes. No one in that locker room was more respected than this Iraq War veteran. Others like Murrell, Smith and Mayfield led by example, with their quiet demeanors, but tremendous work ethics. Some of the leaders that are left, though should pick up the slack, like center Scott Suttle, Cardwell, Corey Lynch, CBs Jerome Touchstone and Justin Woazeah and LB Pierre Banks.

asudelt0119
December 16th, 2006, 03:39 PM
what ever happened to Marquis(sp?) Melvin...the transfer DB from West Virginia. I know something about him and being a finalist on the upcoming american idol, but what's in store for his football season next year

asufan87
December 16th, 2006, 03:52 PM
Tony Robertson will make his presence felt at DE next year. He played in spots spelling Murrell this year and has great speed. He reminds me alot of Murrell during his early playing days. Plus Robertson will add some size I'm certain as he hits the weights this offseason. He comes from a good football family too as his younger brother has recently commited to the Univ of South Carolina.

Mr. C
December 16th, 2006, 04:09 PM
what ever happened to Marquis(sp?) Melvin...the transfer DB from West Virginia. I know something about him and being a finalist on the upcoming american idol, but what's in store for his football season next year
Can you say American Idol?
:D

He gave up his football career for a shot at the music business.

asudelt0119
December 16th, 2006, 04:17 PM
gotcha...oh well, if your heart is going to be in music, you dont belong on the field

appfan2008
December 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM
does anyone know about ASU's schedule next year

asudelt0119
December 17th, 2006, 08:14 AM
www.goasu.com says to keep checkin back cos the schedule is going to be posted soon

GrizzlyBill
December 17th, 2006, 10:49 AM

I agree, Edwards is sensational in many ways. The only negative thing I would say is not at all toward him, but toward the excessive coaching use of spies in the booth above the field phoning defense info to the coach, who then sent in every play to Edwards before the defense could react. This practice sucks. However, Edwards was absolutely amazing in the execution of those plays.

Appguy
December 17th, 2006, 11:32 AM
I think I would take any advantage possible. opposing teams can do the same thing..

I thougth it was hilarious to watch opposing DEFENSIVE coordinators in their box at Kidd Brewer after Armanti made a play like at the Coastal game. Ive never heard so many obscenities lol