PDA

View Full Version : Southland Fans: New Mexico State. What se ye: Yea or Nay

Catatonic
March 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM
Now that New Mexico State has been ousted from the Sun Belt, should they be issued an invite to join the SLC? Why or why not?

Biggest negative I can see is distance between schools. Biggest positive is that the Aggies would strengthen the conference in most sports.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 2nd, 2016, 09:32 AM
The Southland should leap at the prospect of grabbing NMSU, not so much for football but for hoops.

NMSU is 111 in Real Time RPI today and they could make the Southland into a higher mid-major

Sammy94
March 2nd, 2016, 09:39 AM
With the uncertainty of the Louisiana schools, I would welcome them with open arms.

Catatonic
March 2nd, 2016, 09:46 AM
The Southland should leap at the prospect of grabbing NMSU, not so much for football but for hoops.

NMSU is 111 in Real Time RPI today and they could make the Southland into a higher mid-major

NMSU is even stronger on the women's BB side. Real Time RPI is 56th.

Laker
March 2nd, 2016, 09:49 AM
My two cents- for what it is worth.

I remember NM State from when I was in high school. They were playing UCLA in the NCAA regional finals. I hated the t-shirt style uniforms. So their basketball history goes back quite a ways. Football- not so much. They had a running back called Ron "Po" James back in 1967. I wondered why he was nicknamed after a river in northern Italy, but it turned out it was short for the main character in the comic strip Pogo.

I'd take then in this revolving door of teams moving up or dropping sports. Mankato's rival St. Cloud State dropped several sports today and cut numbers in football, wrestling and baseball. Money problems everywhere.

TheRevSFA
March 2nd, 2016, 10:02 AM
Eh if we let ACU in....

i kid

think they will be a great addition

UAalum72
March 2nd, 2016, 10:54 AM
My two cents- for what it is worth.

I remember NM State from when I was in high school. They were playing UCLA in the NCAA regional finals. I hated the t-shirt style uniforms. So their basketball history goes back quite a ways. Football- not so much. They had a running back called Ron "Po" James back in 1967. I wondered why he was nicknamed after a river in northern Italy, but it turned out it was short for the main character in the comic strip Pogo.
The story on Monday Night Football was "Why did your family call you Po? - Cause we was, man!"

JSUBison
March 2nd, 2016, 12:20 PM
The Southland seems to be a couple of steps down from where NMSU wants to be competitively in basketball. Same with Big Sky. Although those two conferences would provide a FB home if they transition to FCS. I think they would like the Big West, but I dont know how much interest is mutual, and the FB problem remains. The WAC does provide them with a easier path to the NCAA tourney though. I wonder about NMSU and the Missouri Valley? If they are going to go FCS FB, they might try to swing a MVFC invite as well. Other option would be Summit and then MVFC FB. Seems like the eastern MV and MVFC schools will cry poverty and might not go for that, who knows. Clenz and the other non summit Valley people here probably have a better idea what those schools and fans think.

BEAR
March 2nd, 2016, 12:27 PM
Let's ditch HBU, pick up NMSU, and wait until the gulls finish off some of the Louisiana schools to see where we stand. xlolx

pokefan02
March 2nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
I would say, Oral Roberts thought they could come into the Southland Conference and dominate which didn't happen and I don't believe New Mexico State would be able to dominate either

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Catatonic
March 2nd, 2016, 12:44 PM
The Southland seems to be a couple of steps down from where NMSU wants to be competitively in basketball. Same with Big Sky. Although those two conferences would provide a FB home if they transition to FCS. I think they would like the Big West, but I dont know how much interest is mutual, and the FB problem remains. The WAC does provide them with a easier path to the NCAA tourney though. I wonder about NMSU and the Missouri Valley? If they are going to go FCS FB, they might try to swing a MVFC invite as well. Other option would be Summit and then MVFC FB. Seems like the eastern MV and MVFC schools will cry poverty and might not go for that, who knows. Clenz and the other non summit Valley people here probably have a better idea what those schools and fans think.

Take NMSU away from the WAC and add it to the SLC, and the SLC is as strong in BB as NMSU's current conference home. Distance wise, NMSU to the Southland makes more sense than the MVFC and the Summit, although that combination would be stronger than a move to the Southland.

One option NMSU fans are discussing is the possibility of dropping football and staying in the WAC or moving to the Big West.

Laker
March 2nd, 2016, 12:53 PM
All this talk at Idaho and NM State about dropping football...........how boring would that be?

Daytripper
March 2nd, 2016, 12:58 PM
Let's ditch HBU, pick up NMSU, and wait until the gulls finish off some of the Louisiana schools to see where we stand. xlolx

This.

RootinFerDukes
March 2nd, 2016, 01:14 PM
Outside of being paired with southern big sky teams, the slc makes too much sense for nmsu. The slc should only extend an invite for a full time membership though.

FormerPokeCenter
March 2nd, 2016, 01:21 PM
No....

The travel costs associated with including NMSU would be a drain. If there's anything to be learned from the Slub Belch, the WAC and even conference USA, it's the getting spread too far, geographically isn't a good thing.

Cluster your conference mates close...focus on geographic rivals...

TheRevSFA
March 2nd, 2016, 01:34 PM
No....

The travel costs associated with including NMSU would be a drain. If there's anything to be learned from the Slub Belch, the WAC and even conference USA, it's the getting spread too far, geographically isn't a good thing.

Well once the Louisiana schools can no longer afford to stay schools and be open, we are gonna have to look west...

Lehigh Football Nation
March 2nd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Well once the Louisiana schools can no longer afford to stay schools and be open, we are gonna have to look west...

Hello, Grand Canyon U.! xlolx

Daytripper
March 2nd, 2016, 01:43 PM
Hello, Grand Canyon U.! xlolx

Or CSU-Pueblo. Oh, wait. Never mind.:(

Thumper 76
March 2nd, 2016, 01:51 PM

I think it'd be pretty sweet. But I'm certain the eastern MVFC teams would never let it happen with complaining about traveling to the Dakotas, let alone New Mexico. Especially with the Illinois schools recent fiscal issues. Unless the basketball is a big enough draw for them to get over it, which I wouldn't mind. Would be a hell of a trip for YSU though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McNeese75
March 2nd, 2016, 02:18 PM
I would say no. The travel for all teams to NM would be stupid.

ST_Lawson
March 2nd, 2016, 02:49 PM
I think it'd be pretty sweet. But I'm certain the eastern MVFC teams would never let it happen with complaining about traveling to the Dakotas, let alone New Mexico. Especially with the Illinois schools recent fiscal issues. Unless the basketball is a big enough draw for them to get over it, which I wouldn't mind. Would be a hell of a trip for YSU though.

NMSU football in the MVFC....sure. It'd only be one team every other year, which is do-able.

NMSU other sports in the Summit....god, I hope not. No offense to the Southern Utah folks, but I was really glad when they left the conference. Not from a "quality of teams" aspect, they were fine there, but the travel was a beast. I know we have Denver now, but Denver is a lot easier to get to than Las Cruces, NM...a lot of regional airports across the midwest have regular non-chartered flights to and from Denver. Heading down to NMSU, you'd have to get to El Paso, which for most of the MVFC teams, I think, it would be at least two legs..."home" to probably DFW or maybe Atlanta, then from there to El Paso.

NMSU should try to stay where they're at for their "olympic" sports (or I think I've seen some mention trying to get back into the Big West), but I'm ok with them in the MVFC for football.

Nickels
March 3rd, 2016, 01:39 PM
Personally I don't want em. The drive to Abilene is long enough...

kdinva
March 3rd, 2016, 01:46 PM
No....

xnodx xthumbsupx

McNeese75
March 3rd, 2016, 08:58 PM
Personally I don't want em. The drive to Abilene is long enough...

xthumbsupx

SFA 93
March 4th, 2016, 06:10 PM
We are already making the trip out to play in Las Cruses

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcurkzZUsAABFtH.jpg

dgtw
March 4th, 2016, 07:00 PM
Travel seems to be an issue with a lot of the western leagues.

The SLC already has 13 members, with eleven playing football, so they are getting a little crowded as it is. Not my concern, but I wouldn't want to add someone that far removed from the rest of the league.

Catatonic
March 5th, 2016, 06:50 AM
Travel seems to be an issue with a lot of the western leagues.

The SLC already has 13 members, with eleven playing football, so they are getting a little crowded as it is. Not my concern, but I wouldn't want to add someone that far removed from the rest of the league.

There are pros and cons. On the plus side, NMSU gives the SLC SOS a boost in basketball and football. Adding NMSU provides a buffer in case one or more of the Louisiana schools drops to D2 or abandons football based on financial woes in the state. Travel for the Louisiana schools is the biggest negative.

My hunch is the question of whether to add NMSU is moot, at least for now. NMSU will try to tough it out for a couple of years as a FB independent and remain in the WAC for other sports.

Sammy94
March 7th, 2016, 09:15 AM
We could split into Southland East and Southland West like the SEC.

West - SFA, Sam, HBU, IWU, ACU, NMSU
East - UCA, Lamar, NWST, McNeese, Nicholls, SLU

Catatonic
March 7th, 2016, 10:00 AM
We could split into Southland East and Southland West like the SEC.

West - SFA, Sam, HBU, IWU, ACU, NMSU
East - UCA, Lamar, NWST, McNeese, Nicholls, SLU

That type arrangement would allow additional expansion, if desired. West Texas A&M is building a new 12,000 seat stadium, Tarleteton and TAMU Commerce have all toyed with the idea of moving up. In the East, North Alabama wants to move up.

TheRevSFA
March 7th, 2016, 12:55 PM
That type arrangement would allow additional expansion, if desired. West Texas A&M is building a new 12,000 seat stadium, Tarleteton and TAMU Commerce have all toyed with the idea of moving up. In the East, North Alabama wants to move up.

Let's just split into two conferences. Funded schools vs bankrupt state schools

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I looked at the SLC basketball league today trying to figure seeing out for UNI.

You have no business turning NMSU down if they want in.

Oh...my...god...those RPI numbers.

TheRevSFA
March 7th, 2016, 01:32 PM
I looked at the SLC basketball league today trying to figure seeing out for UNI.

You have no business turning NMSU down if they want in.

Oh...my...god...those RPI numbers.

Yep. We don't have the benefit of being where there are solid basketball schools in close enough range to have a legit conference.

UNI will get a 9 seed but after your comment i hope they get a 16. Only kidding

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 01:57 PM
Yep. We don't have the benefit of being where there are solid basketball schools in close enough range to have a legit conference.

UNI will get a 9 seed but after your comment i hope they get a 16. Only kidding
UNI will get a 12 or 13

TheRevSFA
March 7th, 2016, 02:05 PM
UNI will get a 12 or 13

Lunardi has them at a 14, sfa at a 13

i figured UNI would get the benefit of being in the MVC

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2016, 02:36 PM
UNI is destined for the 11 seed PIG

clenz
March 7th, 2016, 02:38 PM
UNI is destined for the 11 seed PIG
Those are saved for the final at large bids-could see WSU there.

UNI will land at a 12.

Name me a few team that would be lines 12-14 with a better resume than them?

Remember, putting them on the 14 line means the committee thinks they are one of the worst 12-16 teams in the field.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 7th, 2016, 02:49 PM
Remember, putting them on the 14 line means the committee thinks they are one of the worst 12-16 teams in the field.

It's not what I think, but what the committee thinks... they routinely underestimate non-P5 schools and overestimate crapstorm teams like, say, USC, UCLA or a 19-13 ACC team

Sammy94
March 7th, 2016, 04:43 PM
I looked at the SLC basketball league

It's Texas/La. , basketball is a cold weather sport. We play sports outdoors year round.

Catatonic
March 7th, 2016, 05:24 PM
It's Texas/La. , basketball is a cold weather sport. We play sports outdoors year round.

Between the lines rendition: We're Texas. We play manly men sports outdoors like God intended.

lionsrking2
March 8th, 2016, 01:48 AM
I personally love college hoops, but it's an afterthought in these neck of the woods. Baseball is probably the number two sport at our school, if not No. 1 in some eyes. We're averaging about 1,400 for baseball so far this spring (highest in the SLC) and less than a 1,000 for hoops. Baseball is the clear No. 2 sport at LSU, and probably No. 2 at Tulane as well.

As for NMSU, we made two trips to El Paso/Las Cruces in 2006 and 2007, and thoroughly enjoyed it both years. Not sure how the league could manage the travel for minor sports, but football could work with some schedule manipulation. It would mean an additional plane flight every two years, but it could be worked into the cost of doing business.

aztecjim
March 13th, 2016, 04:41 PM
How about staying FBS and re-inventing the Southwest Conference? NMSU, UTEP, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, SMU, North Texas, Idaho, and BYU?

Catatonic
March 13th, 2016, 04:58 PM
How about staying FBS and re-inventing the Southwest Conference? NMSU, UTEP, Tulsa, Houston, Rice, SMU, North Texas, Idaho, and BYU?

BYU and Houston would be hard to convince. Bring them on board and it has the makings of a competitive group. There are a couple of other options--Texas State and UTSA as well as Lamar, which wants to move up. I'm not sure the NCAA wants another FBS league though.

FormerPokeCenter
March 13th, 2016, 05:19 PM
Texas State owns the rights to the Southwest Conference name. So, ixnay on the SWCay unless ExasTay Tatesay gets invited.

aztecjim
March 13th, 2016, 05:44 PM
How does a former FCS school own the rights to the name of a former I-A conference?

dgtw
March 13th, 2016, 06:40 PM
How does a former FCS school own the rights to the name of a former I-A conference?

I guess they bought them from whoever owned them after the SWC broke up.

Laker
March 13th, 2016, 08:20 PM
I guess they bought them from whoever owned them after the SWC broke up.

Interesting. I didn't know that they had garage sales with former conference names.

I wonder who owns the old Yankee Conference name?

Catatonic
March 13th, 2016, 08:21 PM
Interesting. I didn't know that they had garage sales with former conference names.

Rest assured no team south of the Mason Dixon Line wants it.

Laker
March 13th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Rest assured no team south of the Mason Dixon Line wants it.

There is a high school down by the MN-Iowa border called Southland. Their nickname is, or at least was, the Rebels. They would wave a Rebel flag at games. I'm sure that has long since been taken away.

aztecjim
March 14th, 2016, 04:40 AM
BYU and Houston would be hard to convince. Bring them on board and it has the makings of a competitive group. There are a couple of other options--Texas State and UTSA as well as Lamar, which wants to move up. I'm not sure the NCAA wants another FBS league though.

BYU might want a stable conference. Houston? Just because they had one great season they shouldn't start looking down on their neighbors. As for letting in newbies Texas State or UTSA? Nah. I only put Idaho in because I really couldn't find another western/southwestern school that sounded like they would fit in this group. Swap out Idaho and pry New Mexico from the MWC?

As for the name? WAC?

Catatonic
March 14th, 2016, 05:19 AM
BYU might want a stable conference. Houston? Just because they had one great season they shouldn't start looking down on their neighbors. As for letting in newbies Texas State or UTSA? Nah. I only put Idaho in because I really couldn't find another western/southwestern school that sounded like they would fit in this group. Swap out Idaho and pry New Mexico from the MWC?

As for the name? WAC?

I'd say with a new stadium and 3 million dollar coach, Houston isn't about to bolt a good G5 league for a start up. If BYU wanted stability they would go back to the MWC imo. Texas State and UTSA are more realistic options.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 14th, 2016, 09:16 AM
It's not what I think, but what the committee thinks... they routinely underestimate non-P5 schools and overestimate crapstorm teams like, say, USC, UCLA or a 19-13 ACC team

Off topic but damn was I ever right

- - - Updated - - -

You'll have to pay me lots of money to find out xlolx

FormerPokeCenter
March 14th, 2016, 09:44 AM

You'd have to understand Texas State's vainglorious attempts to become something that they're not to understand why - to them - buying the old SWC name made perfect sense. It's part of their long range strategic plan.

The whole thing was beat to death here and on the Texas State message boards about 10 years ago...

As i understand it, they're currently using the name for the conference their Rugby team plays in...

aztecjim
March 14th, 2016, 01:46 PM
I'd say with a new stadium and 3 million dollar coach, Houston isn't about to bolt a good G5 league for a start up. If BYU wanted stability they would go back to the MWC imo. Texas State and UTSA are more realistic options.

BYU burned too many bridges to go back to the MWC.

clenz
March 14th, 2016, 01:51 PM
The MWC may be adding 2 schools in the next 5-8 years...if what I hear is accurate (and there's a good chance it isn't or will change)....it's not BYU, it's not NMSU, it's not Texas State and it's not UTSA.

UNIFanSince1983
March 14th, 2016, 03:00 PM

As for the name? WAC?

WAC is still a conference just not for football.

aztecjim
March 14th, 2016, 05:17 PM
WAC is still a conference just not for football.

Have all these schools move to the WAC and have the present WAC schools move to other conferences. CSU-Bakersfield to the Big West, Seattle to the WCC, etc.

Laker
March 14th, 2016, 05:27 PM
The MWC may be adding 2 schools in the next 5-8 years...if what I hear is accurate (and there's a good chance it isn't or will change)....it's not BYU, it's not NMSU, it's not Texas State and it's not UTSA.

OK- now I'm curious.

Lehigh Football Nation
March 14th, 2016, 05:33 PM
Have all these schools move to the WAC and have the present WAC schools move to other conferences. CSU-Bakersfield to the Big West, Seattle to the WCC, etc.

The WAC no longer has the rights to being an FBS conference, and there is no mechanism to: 1) have them pick up the ability to become an FBS conference, or 2) have an existing FCS conference pick up the ability to become an FBS conference. That is the linchpin of your argument to have them all go back to the WAC, correct?

Thumper 76
March 14th, 2016, 07:12 PM
OK- now I'm curious.

Talk about a cliffhanger

clenz
March 14th, 2016, 07:30 PM
Talk about a cliffhanger

Rumors of this are far, far, to new and fluid.

I'd true it's none of those. Who the hell knows what actually happens though

TheRevSFA
March 14th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Rumors of this are far, far, to new and fluid.

I'd true it's none of those. Who the hell knows what actually happens though

bring sfa to the MVC!!! (I know...i know...)

BisonFan02
March 14th, 2016, 09:10 PM

Would the Southland keep you guys as football only? :D

Catatonic
March 15th, 2016, 04:41 AM

I heard SFA and Houston Baptist were the two schools rumored to be headed to the MWC.

Catatonic
March 15th, 2016, 08:04 AM
southland conference specifically mentioned as an option for UT Rio Grande Valley, if they launch a FB program.

http://www.underdogdynasty.com/2016/2/19/11071048/utrgv-announces-football-feasibility-study-led-by-mack-brown

Sammy94
March 15th, 2016, 08:07 AM
Would the Southland keep you guys as football only? :D

Y'all need a new basement dweller don't you? We got enough purple anyway in the SLC.

Laker
March 15th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Talk about a cliffhanger

I agree.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RcBMx3snXfM/ThXsoRf8j6I/AAAAAAAABEc/8my7dHdc3SQ/s1600/cliff-hanger.gif

Catatonic
March 15th, 2016, 08:49 AM
BYU burned too many bridges to go back to the MWC.

The MWC would swallow their pride and take BYU back in a heart beat, just like the B12 would take back TAMU. Other schools would grumble a bunch but in the end they would recognize that they were stronger conferences by taking back their prodigal, wayward children. Not gonna happen though. BYU and TAMU like the paths they have chosen.