PDA

View Full Version : Joe Davis from UNI named QB coach at Fordham

Fordham
February 24th, 2016, 06:53 PM
http://www.fordhamsports.com/news/2016/2/24/FB_0224163650.aspx

UNI fans, what's the deal? Impressive resume. Why a step back in competition as well as in position?

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Not real sure, to be honest.

Came to UNI with a lot of hype but never really gelled systematically with Farley.

He wasn't fired. He didn't resign. His contract expired and both sides decided to move on.

He, ideally, wants an Oregon system. Seemed unable to adjust at times early in the year and the offense and that got going once once Farley pulled him off the play calling a bit

He was brought in under the old AD, and given his style it seemed like a strange hire for UNI. With him landing as a position coach at Fordham after having a prolific running game in his resume from UNI makes it seem like he was a forced hire by the old AD and when he left it all Farley and him decided to move on

Good luck to him. Nothing bad to say about him.

Fordham
February 24th, 2016, 07:33 PM
Thanks clenz.

Sounds like a great pick up for us, particularly with a system more suited for him.

IBleedYellow
February 24th, 2016, 08:21 PM
I always thought he was a weird hire @ UNI...however I never heard anything bad about him, like Clenz said.

UNI just isn't that type of offense/defense built team.

Hope he does well @ Fordham.

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 08:33 PM
I was real excited for what he couldve done at UNI but it didn't work. I don't think it's a reflection on him by any stretch.

Hindsight really points to it being a forced hire by the previous AD to create energy in the fans and create a break from the names that were in charge previously.

He clearly has an extensive football IQ. I'd imagine he'll be good for you

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

mvemjsunpx
February 24th, 2016, 09:51 PM
#DavisHappens xcoffeex

Go Lehigh TU owl
February 24th, 2016, 09:55 PM
Hasn't there been a bit of rift in offensive philosophies between Farley and Harris recently Clenz? I thought you said during the year that you didn't feel all of the Panthers weapons were being used properly which was due to Farley's stubbornness....

clenz
February 24th, 2016, 10:11 PM
Hasn't there been a bit of rift in offensive philosophies between Farley and Harris recently Clenz? I thought you said during the year that you didn't feel all of the Panthers weapons were being used properly which was due to Farley's stubbornness....
I don't.... It's complicated the more I've talked to people in the know.

Yes, Farley if stubborn. That did cause issues. Davis was also unwilling to make changes that maybe would have helped early in the year. As I said, it sounds more like an arranged marriage by the previous AD than what was really wanted.

UNI isn't built for that kind of offense. Farley knew it and wanted to modify the system to shake to his players. Davis wanted full go on his system. It wasn't working well during fall camp and Farley threw the e brake on it. It rang until half way through the season the two figured it out.

Look at how UNI built it's offensive staff since then. It's UNI fb alums that played in a power system at UNI. It's filled with guys that are comfortable in what UNI ran in the mid 00s..or what NDSU runs now.

I can't say anything bad about Davis. Just want a good fit all around

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Lehigh Football Nation
February 25th, 2016, 11:17 AM
What's a little odd is that "Offensive Coordinator" is not listed next to his title. Breiner, the new head guy at Fordham, was Moorhead's OC and QB pass game coach. Is Breiner now head coach/OC, or is Davis now effectively his OC?

AmsterBison
February 26th, 2016, 11:04 AM
He was brought in under the old AD, and given his style it seemed like a strange hire for UNI. With him landing as a position coach at Fordham after having a prolific running game in his resume from UNI makes it seem like he was a forced hire by the old AD and when he left it all Farley and him decided to move on

NDSU lets the head coach hire assistants. Seems odd to do it any other way.

clenz
February 26th, 2016, 11:22 AM
NDSU lets the head coach hire assistants. Seems odd to do it any other way.
It''s how it's normally done at UNI.

There was pressure from the outside, and from some very high places on the outside, to make a change with the offense. I think, from what I've pieced together, that Dannen put a large amount of pressure on Farley go make a "splashy" change to a guy like Davis.

Farley may have hired him, but I'm not sure it would have been Farley's choice left to his own pickings. Especially considering how the staff is filled now. It's filled with guys who were at UNI as a coach, and players, during UNI's days of the power game with the deep ball over the top. It might not be a full transition this year back to it, but much more so than the last few