PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions about FBS-FCS scheduling

Catatonic
February 10th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Abilene Christian is still new to FCS and I am hopeful some of you more seasoned fans can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. How does the FCS play off committee treat FBS games when considering at-large teams for consideration? We aren't eligible till 2017 and unless we improve a lot between now and then, this is more an academic question, but will it hurt that both our OOC games are tentatively scheduled against FBS opponents that year (New Mexico and Colorado State)?

2. Do FBS teams sometimes schedule FCS teams several years in advance with the intent of buying the contract out if they can find a schedule upgrade against another FBS team? I ask because unlike every other FBS team we have schedule though 2019, Colorado State has made no announcement that they have scheduled us for 2017. We would be the first game against the Rams in their new stadium and many of our fans believe CSU is shopping for a better opponent for the inaugural game in their on campus stadium and we are a back up plan.

Thanks in advance for your insights.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 08:10 AM
Abilene Christian is still new to FCS and I am hopeful some of you more seasoned fans can answer a couple of questions for me.

1. How does the FCS play off committee treat FBS games when considering at-large teams for consideration? We aren't eligible till 2017 and unless we improve a lot between now and then, this is more an academic question, but will it hurt that both our OOC games are tentatively scheduled against FBS opponents that year (New Mexico and Colorado State)?

2. Do FBS teams sometimes schedule FCS teams several years in advance with the intent of buying the contract out if they can find a schedule upgrade against another FBS team? I ask because unlike every other FBS team we have schedule though 2019, Colorado State has made no announcement that they have scheduled us for 2017. We would be the first game against the Rams in their new stadium and many of our fans believe CSU is shopping for a better opponent for the inaugural game in their on campus stadium and we are a back up plan.

1) They are not supposed to hurt....but wins matter....playing 2 FBS games (and losing....good if you win) start you off on the wrong foot to get the magical # of wins to make the postseason via an at large bid.

2) FBS schedule out in advance typically...does anyone have an example of a FBS team buying out a FCS matchup? I can't think of one off of the top of my head.

DFW HOYA
February 10th, 2016, 08:10 AM
1. How does the FCS play off committee treat FBS games when considering at-large teams for consideration?

It's a plus. Put another way, the committee penalizes teams that are not actively scheduling up, which is why a team like Georgetown in 2011 could be 8-3 and have no chance to be an at-large selection.

2. Do FBS teams sometimes schedule FCS teams several years in advance with the intent of buying the contract out if they can find a schedule upgrade against another FBS team?

Maybe not the intent, but they will do it when it is necessary.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 08:21 AM
Question #1 is a loaded I guess...if you play in a conference that doesn't have a good "in-conference" schedule, the OOC is more important to schedule tougher opponents than it would be for a school in the MVFC for example.

Smitty
February 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM
In WCU's case last year, we played 2 FBS schools and finished 7-4 for the season. If we dropped an FBS and scheduled an FCS game (and won) we would have been going to the playoffs.

Next year will be the same story as we play East Carolina and South Carolina. If we don't beat one of those teams we can technically only lose one game to really stay playoff eligible.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 08:58 AM
In WCU's case last year, we played 2 FBS schools and finished 7-4 for the season. If we dropped an FBS and scheduled an FCS game (and won) we would have been going to the playoffs.

Next year will be the same story as we play East Carolina and South Carolina. If we don't beat one of those teams we can technically only lose one game to really stay playoff eligible.

Not true.....7 wins is nice, but look at Western Ill last year.

Bisonator
February 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM

1. Well wins are better then losses. Even a D2 win looks better then a FBS loss to some on the committee. I guess it would depend on your overall body of work. I wouldn't schedule 2 FBS games unless I desperately needed the money.

2. I'm sure that happens. Hell FCS teams schedule in a similar fashion. If they think they can make more $ by buying out and scheduling someone new it'll probably happen.

Libertine
February 10th, 2016, 08:59 AM

They don't necessarily do it with the intention of buying out the contract, but FBS do schedule FCS opponents years in advance and do end up changing plans when something else "better" comes along. It usually isn't an outright buyout but just a change of date to a later year. Liberty has two FBS opponents this year, one of which was originally agreed upon to be played several years ago and the other game only came about because a third FBS team dropped out of a previously-scheduled game with LU. There are other examples but it's fairly common for FBS schools to change their deal with FCS opponents.

BisonFan02
February 10th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Anyone have an example of a FBS team backing out of a scheduled FCS matchup?

Smitty
February 10th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Yeah there is a possibility but I highly doubt that you would see a 7-4 SoCon team get in above most other conference in its current state.

Bisonator
February 10th, 2016, 09:05 AM

There have been plenty. SDSU got bought out by Minnesota last year.

Libertine
February 10th, 2016, 09:14 AM
Yeah there is a possibility but I highly doubt that you would see a 7-4 SoCon team get in above most other conference in its current state.

One of those 7 wins was against D2 Mars Hill which means the committee was looking at you as 6-4. You shouldn't have that problem in 2016 without a D2 albatross on the slate.

gumby013
February 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM

Ball State bought out of a trip TO Illinois State in 2014.

Lehigh Football Nation
February 10th, 2016, 09:17 AM
Keep in mind that guarantees make it disadvantageous for FBS teams to renege on their agreements. It is my impression that the FBS schools honor the guarantees, hence the term "buying out" of the contract.

Hammerhead
February 10th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Many think that NDSU's win over Kansas in 2010 allowed the Bison to get into the playoffs over other teams on the bubble.

RootinFerDukes
February 10th, 2016, 10:04 AM

Both teams were in the middle of a transition to fbs, but I think i remember odu dropping one of their 1and1 games against Charlotte for a road series at Vanderbilt for more money.
Charlotte was ticked so they went ahead and dropped the other scheduled game and picked up a 1and1 with JMU instead. I think odu replaced the second game with a regional Fcs team.

RootinFerDukes
February 10th, 2016, 10:06 AM

Yes 7 wins may be something publicly commented by the selection committee in the past, but it really depends on what conference you're in. I would think a socon team needs 8 or 9 wins to have an argument for an at-large bid.

BEAR
February 10th, 2016, 10:39 AM
7 wins isn't the magical number.

UCA and Sam Houston both had 7 wins last year. UCA started slow and it killed them. Plus injuries piled up to end the year so going to the playoffs would have been just for show..no real contention IMO. We had the McNeese medics staying at a hotel in our city for our games... xlolx

walliver
February 10th, 2016, 01:14 PM

Florida State got scared and backed out of a game with Wofford 2 years ago.

Actually, ESPN wanted an all-ACC late August game, and ESPN gets what it wants. FSU helped arrange a replacement game for us against Baylor

KPSUL
February 10th, 2016, 05:07 PM

I assume it is to earn $$ that your program schedules two FBS opponents. IMO, I think it would be more advantageous to your playoff prospects to pick up a quality FCS OOC opponent in your region of the country like Liberty, JMU or EKU and drop one of the FBS teams from your schedule.

dgtw
February 10th, 2016, 06:19 PM
Jax State had a game scheduled with Auburn in 2012. Then the SEC expanded to 14 teams, which forced Auburn to rearrange their conference schedule and drop us. But they had to pay us the full price of the game, which was $500,000. For some reason we still played two SEC teams that year, Florida and Arkansas, and it as not even a 12 game season. So with those two and the Auburn check for doing nothing, we cashed three SEC checks that year so we had enough in the bank to buy out the last two years of Jack Crowe's contract. We wound up rescheduling the Auburn game for this past season.

So an FBS team dropping you does happen, but it is usually due to extenuating circumstances and if your AD is smart, there is a clause forcing them to pay you the full amount if they do.

FBS teams can count one FCS win towards the six they need for bowl eligibility, so most will play one and only one FCS game per year. So it is unlikely they'd drop you just to play an FBS game. Plus they pay FCS teams a lot less than FBS bottom feeders, so there is a financial benefit to playing FCS teams as well.

ccd494
February 10th, 2016, 06:32 PM

Florida State bought out Maine in 2009. It was supposed to be a season opener but the ACC and ESPN wanted a Monday night FSU-Miami game instead.

Maine ended up playing Syracuse later in the season, and I think FSU partially subsidized Syracuse's guarantee so Maine still got paid the same amount. Maine did get a little screwed and the only replacement season opener available was D-II Saint Cloud State.

The Yo Show
February 12th, 2016, 12:23 AM
1) They are not supposed to hurt....but wins matter....playing 2 FBS games (and losing....good if you win) start you off on the wrong foot to get the magical # of wins to make the postseason via an at large bid.

2) FBS schedule out in advance typically...does anyone have an example of a FBS team buying out a FCS matchup? I can't think of one off of the top of my head.

You asked for an example. This year, YSU was supposed to play the Ohio State university. They bought out the contract, and YSU ended up playing Pitt and still getting the money from tOSU

citdog
February 19th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Here is what can happen if your players have a sack 'o nuts like mine do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3m5CPqX6Aw

then send the Horry County white trash to the sun bletch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbI7VVNpvRI

https://romeocompany.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/2015silvershako.jpg

BisonFan02
February 19th, 2016, 09:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMR8QJJ8-k

citdog
February 19th, 2016, 09:43 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjMR8QJJ8-k

sorry bro but you have NO IDEA what beating one of the fbs douchenozzles who dominate your State is like. In our mind your win over KSU pales in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXnSl3nFlZI

BisonFan02
February 19th, 2016, 09:48 PM
sorry bro but you have NO IDEA what beating one of the fbs douchenozzles who dominate your State is like. In our mind your win over KSU pales in comparison.

Probably right about the emotional part with K State....Minnesota would be the closer comparison for NDSU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNk8EDKFCw

RootinFerDukes
February 19th, 2016, 10:02 PM
From what I believe is the only va Fcs school to beat both UVA and tech in the I-AA era, it is very nice to beat the big boys in your own state. Nothing sweeter than seeing their Walmart fans get a huge plate of humble pie.
The chokies never emptied lane stadium faster than in 2010.

BisonFan02
February 19th, 2016, 10:20 PM
From what I believe is the only va Fcs school to beat both UVA and tech in the I-AA era, it is very nice to beat the big boys in your own state. Nothing sweeter than seeing their Walmart fans get a huge plate of humble pie.
The chokies never emptied lane stadium faster than in 2010.

Its fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqYuV4c-JY

The attitude of MN/Twin Cities peeps when it comes to Fargo/ND and NDSU is really something else....hard to explain but it is probably similar to what you guys see in the SE region.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 20th, 2016, 08:23 PM
Its fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0tqYuV4c-JY

The attitude of MN/Twin Cities peeps when it comes to Fargo/ND and NDSU is really something else....hard to explain but it is probably similar to what you guys see in the SE region.

I wish the Gophers and Bison had an annual series because the Bison would win the head/head series........easily!!!

xnodx

F'N Hawks
February 20th, 2016, 10:17 PM
Regarding FBS game/win, this past year it didn't mean much. Beating UT-Martin meant more than beating Wyoming.

JSUSoutherner
February 20th, 2016, 11:43 PM

http://youtu.be/UsunpiYs7Cg

Double OT come from behind (31-10) win against a team Bama can't seem to beat? Sure I'll throw this up.

BEAR
February 21st, 2016, 02:48 AM
Oklahoma State backed out of a game with UCA a few years ago and still paid the fee with the condition the game would happen in the near future. It finally did last year and they probably wished they would have scheduled us fresh out of d2! xlolx

Bisonator
February 21st, 2016, 12:09 PM
Regarding FBS game/win, this past year it didn't mean much. Beating UT-Martin meant more than beating Wyoming.

UT-Martin was better then Wyoming last year.

JSUSoutherner
February 21st, 2016, 12:14 PM
If UTM had a better defense they would be a top notch FCS team. Their offense is fantastic. The coach their does a fantastic job given the resources he has available.

F'N Hawks
February 21st, 2016, 04:13 PM

Thanks for sharing.

Catamount87
February 23rd, 2016, 02:50 PM

See page 16 of this document for how teams are evaluated for selection using the NCAA SRS, http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2015-16_DIFCS_PreChamps_20150924.pdf and overall selection criteria.

In short the SRSs says, a D2 home wins do count but not as much as an FCS home win. The FCS home win is worth .75 points but the D2 home win is only worth .65 points. Interestingly, beating an FBS school on the road is worth 1.35 points, an FCS road win is worth 1.25.

As for number of wins, it says "The won-lost record of a team will be scrutinized to determine a team’s strength of schedule; however, fewer than six Division I wins may place a team in jeopardy of not being selected;" I suspect it's written this way because historically, so many FCS programs have played a game against a regional D2 school to get enough home games because they in turn play a FBS "money" game.