PDA

View Full Version : I-AA Name Change "Illogical"

catbob
December 15th, 2006, 02:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=2697774

Today marks the beginning of a new era in college football.

A playoff to determine the real national champion? Come on, you're not that gullible, are you? It may be December, but that gift isn't arriving this holiday season.

No, but teams that currently enjoy a playoff format are involved.

When Appalachian State and Massachusetts meet Friday night (ESPN2, 8 ET) in Chattanooga, Tenn., to decide the first of three NCAA football championships, the Mountaineers and Minutemen will be playing for the Division I football championship.

At least that's what the NCAA would like you to believe. And assuming you'll listen.

So as a public service, I will attempt to educate you on the new nomenclature being spread like fertilizer by the national office staff.

Back in August, the Division I Board of Directors approved a recommendation to delete the Division I-A, I-AA, I-AAA labels from NCAA use, effective today.

In its place, the NCAA would like the fans and the media to use the following terms:

The Name Game
OLD NEW
Division I-A Football Bowl Subdivision
I-A Bowl Subdivision or FBS
Division I-AA NCAA Football Championship Subdivision
I-AA Championship Subdivision or FCS
I-AAA Division I

In explaining the reasoning and benefit of the name change, the NCAA offered this:

"Intercollegiate athletics are a tremendous showcase of young individuals pursuing learning opportunities both on the field of play and off. The new Division I football designations will support this principle while also bringing greater clarity to the structure within Division I football."

Huh? Let the confusion ensue. And good luck with that.

Is this really how the NCAA and its board of directors and various committees spend their time? If so, where do I get a job with nothing to do and all day to do it? Earlier this fall, Congress decided to question the NCAA's tax-exempt status. How about questioning its logic-exempt status first? But I digress.

And what exactly was wrong with the old -- and what I still like to refer to as the current -- system?

I-A represents the 119 schools that offer a maximum of 85 scholarships and play most of their games on TV in front of large crowds.

I-AA represents the 122 schools that offer a maximum of 63 scholarships and play most of their games in a more intimate setting. It's also the grouping that wisely has a playoff to determine its champion.

I-AAA represents the rest of the Division I institutions that don't sponsor football.

Seems pretty straightforward to me.

But the agenda for the Aug. 3 board of directors meeting would tell another story:

" … the Board acknowledged its appreciation for the frustration associated with the current misapplication of the labels whereby nonfootball sport teams are referred to as Division I-AA/I-AAA …

"Division I-AA institutions and conferences tend to use references to Division I-AA football more often, but find the term confusing and misapplied by the public, boosters and media when referring not only their football programs but their overall athletics programs."

Read between the lines and it's clear that some of the I-AA schools felt like second-class citizens and were looking for something to make them feel better.

So in an effort to clarify a situation that didn't really need clarification, the NCAA's solution was to come up with FCS and FBS. I see a couple of letters in there that make sense, but again, I digress.

It's interesting to note that the board of directors' vote on this issue was 8-5, with two abstentions and three members not present to participate.

And it's also interesting that none of the new labels take into account that there's a little thing called the BCS, and its presence and impact take up the large majority of attention of both the fans and the media.

So now we're left with the BCS, the FBS and the FCS.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't get it.

Either way, it's just in time to enjoy the 32-game bowl season that starts Tuesday and ends with the BCS National Championship Game between Florida and Ohio State on Jan. 8, 2007.

And by all means, enjoy the Division I-AA championship game.

David Albright is the senior coordinator for college sports at ESPN.com. He can be reached at [email protected].

FCS_pwns_FBS
December 15th, 2006, 02:38 PM
TRANSLATION = Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah why does the NCAA recognize THEM as having THE division I football national championship and not our December football festival?

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2006, 03:02 PM
Does he understand the NCAA has never granted a title for what was known as I-A?

They always got their title through the BCS, UPI, AP or whomever. There were years with five plus champions!

bkrownd
December 15th, 2006, 03:04 PM
ZZzzzZzzz..... xcoffeex

catbob
December 15th, 2006, 03:17 PM
I just shot him a little e-mail:

I am terribly sorry that you have to put up with your networks coverage of the little December football festival. I know how hard it must be for you, and I sincerely apologize that they have to take up a time slot that would most certainly be devoted to 4 hours of BSC chitchat about who is going to win the Kinkos Copy Bowl.

Furthermore, I would also like to apologize for the confusing new titles. I understand how hard it can be to say FBS and FCS; I mean you have so many acronyms to keep track of already, no one can be expected to remember "Bowl Subdivision" and "Championship Subdivision". Take comfort in the fact that I also shot a letter to the NCAA about such lunacy. I also ended that letter with the phrase "get a job!".

I also empathize with your sentiments - no I-AA school should ever want the ignorant sports fans in this country to think their basketball team plays at a higher level than their football team. How absurd is that? Silly Villanova, Georgetown, and Northern Iowa! You are a step below in all sports, get used to it!

I leave you with a little tidbit - "There's no BS in the CS".

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM
What happens if they change the BS format to playoffs (don't see it happening...but...)

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
What happens if they change the BS format to playoffs (don't see it happening...but...)

I was asked this recently...

It's an interesting question, but the big question in my mind would be, 'would the NCAA recognize the FBS champion if they went to a playoff?'...

turfdoc
December 15th, 2006, 03:42 PM
I personally think that this is a an attempt by the NCAA to force a playoff.

They are essentially saying that the only D-I champion is the one they crown. The rest choose to go to Bowls (which the NCAA does not get a piece of). If you are in the Bowl subdivision there is no NCAA championship for you just something that the 6 richest conference play for.

:twocents:

The problem that people think Montana does not play basketball at the same level as USC is a real one and should not be dismissed.

Essentially schools like Misouri State and UNI are hurt in there basketball recruiting and coverage because the aren't "really division I" this will help clear things up.

henfan
December 15th, 2006, 03:57 PM

Not at all. First off, the NCAA as an organization has no control over what its most powerful voting block (i.e.- the major D-I conferences) will do with its FB post-season, nor does the NCAA stand to sponsor or share in the rewards of the bowls or, if it comes to pass, BS playoffs. The NCAA is not in a position to force BS schools to do anything.

Secondly, the CS and BS titles were created with considerable input (that's a euphamism!) from former I-A schools. In other words, I-AA & the NCAA couldn't have effected a change without I-A's buy off.

LeopardFan04
December 15th, 2006, 04:01 PM
The problem that people think Montana does not play basketball at the same level as USC is a real one and should not be dismissed.

Essentially schools like Misouri State and UNI are hurt in there basketball recruiting and coverage because the aren't "really division I" this will help clear things up.

This to me is one the big issues...I really get tired of people thinking there is I-AA basketball, or worse that Lafayette is D2 (our recent play notwithstanding)...I think sometimes it also leads to the reverse...I've heard some people say that Bucknell plays D2 football (if they even know they have a team) but DI hoops (because they've seen them in the tourney)...I think the big impact of the name change will be other sports, especially basketball...

mtgrizfan4life
December 15th, 2006, 04:03 PM
WOW!!!! I do not believe what I just heared and from who I heared this from on ESPN. Finally someone from ESPN giving 1A football championship playoffs some props. I am watching Rome is Burning, he starts off by giving props to our playoff system while knocking the BCS way!!!! Not sure if I am more amazed that anyone from ESPN gave this level props or That it is Jim Rome!!! WTF, argueably the most controversial sports talk show host over the last 20 years giving giving the props. I have always liked Rome, but have even more respect for him for speaking up against the BCS/ESPN hierarchy.

Finally someone that has a loyal sports following speaking up that is not a coach or AD. I hope he does not take heat for it. He did it very professionally and should not. Either way props back to Jim Rome, the little guys appreciate it, Thank you

mtgrizfan4life
December 15th, 2006, 04:04 PM
I wanted to start that as a new thread, but could not figure it out, someone please pm me how to pust a new thread here and put this on as a new thread please!!!!! Thanks all.

aust42
December 15th, 2006, 06:19 PM
I agree with the article. In football there are four "levels of competition" as opposed to all other sports. That's just the way it is. I ended up giving a seminar to my circle of friends a couple weeks ago trying to explain it all. Unless your a 1AA alumnus and/or fan the subject is just confusing to Johnny fan. The name change was stupid IMO. If there is a 1A playoff format implemented in the near future it will really be confusing.

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2006, 07:30 PM
The fact that "subdivision" is still in the nomenclature is a failure of the process. It's just Division I, that's all, but I-AA won't soon go away anyway.

skinny_uncle
December 16th, 2006, 07:40 PM
The CS is the DI Championship. Any leagues that choose not to participate (BCS or Ivy) have made their choice. The DI title is decided on the field. That is how it should be.
:thumbsup:

BEAR
December 16th, 2006, 07:45 PM
I like Jim Rome, but you have to be very careful on what you are hearing from him. He speaks dual tongued sometimes, a little tongue in cheek. Sounds serious, but his true motivation is purely the opposite. He will say whatever he needs to raise the listening audience numbers. But he is funny all the same. BS is BS, SEE US in the CS.:hurray:

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2006, 08:52 PM
The CS is the DI Championship. Any leagues that choose not to participate (BCS or Ivy) have made their choice. The DI title is decided on the field. That is how it should be.
:thumbsup:

How many people (outside this board) will believe that App State, not Ohio St. or Florida, is the major college (Division I) national champion? Almost no one.

December 16th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I agree with the article. In football there are four "levels of competition" as opposed to all other sports. That's just the way it is. I ended up giving a seminar to my circle of friends a couple weeks ago trying to explain it all. Unless your a 1AA alumnus and/or fan the subject is just confusing to Johnny fan. The name change was stupid IMO. If there is a 1A playoff format implemented in the near future it will really be confusing.Sorry austie, there may be four levels of NCAA football but only three of them are crowned NCAA champions... beloved FBS is not and never has been.

December 16th, 2006, 09:58 PM
How many people (outside this board) will believe that App State, not Ohio St. or Florida, is the major college (Division I) national champion? Almost no one.Like we should care that there are ignorant sheep? xlolx

Division I is an NCAA classification and the members of Division I decide who they call champs... they have spoken and Appalachian State won it.

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Division I is an NCAA classification and the members of Division I decide who they call champs... they have spoken and Appalachian State won it.

Ralph, I appreciate your diligence on the matter, but the members of Division I also include over 120 I-A schools and none of them are crowning App State their division champions.

That is why there should be no subdivisions. Invite all Division I conferences to participate in the playoff, with the full understanding that no bowl-eligible conference will accept...for now, anyway.

December 16th, 2006, 10:24 PM
... the members of Division I also include over 120 I-A schools and none of them are crowning App State their division champions...You missed the point, ALL D-I schools were represented on the name change vote. ALL of them. ALL D-I schools decide if they want to play FCS or FBS (or neither). ALL of them. Therefore ALL OF THEM agree who is the NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPION. :nod:

DFW HOYA
December 16th, 2006, 10:30 PM
You missed the point, ALL D-I schools were represented on the name change vote. ALL of them. ALL D-I schools decide if they want to play FCS or FBS (or neither). ALL of them. Therefore ALL OF THEM agree who is the NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPION. :nod:

And then again, maybe Joe Buck will point out in the Florida-Ohio State game is just for TV, because as far as the entirety of Division I is concerned, Appalachian State is the one and only champion.

I guess we can agree to disagree, because it's semantics at this point.

December 16th, 2006, 10:32 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=2697774
...Read between the lines and it's clear that some of the I-AA schools felt like second-class citizens and were looking for something to make them feel better.
...And it's also interesting that none of the new labels take into account that there's a little thing called the BCS, and its presence and impact take up the large majority of attention of both the fans and the media...Uh, Dimwit, the BCS has nothing to do with the NCAA. Dimwit wants you to believe that "it's clear that some of the I-AA schools felt like second-class citizens and were looking for something to make them feel better." To quote ol' Dimwit, "good luck with that." : smh :

December 16th, 2006, 10:35 PM
And then again, maybe Joe Buck will point out in the Florida-Ohio State game is just for TV, because as far as the entirety of Division I is concerned, Appalachian State is the one and only champion.
I guess we can agree to disagree, because it's semantics at this point.If you disagree that Appalachian State is NOT the one and only D-I champion then you have a problem with the NCAA... same as the bc$ does. The NCAA DOES NOT recognize any D-I champ but the one that wins their tournament. The rest are paid TV events of bowl wi$he$ and cry$tal ball dreams.

EKU05
December 17th, 2006, 12:07 PM

They are essentially saying that the only D-I champion is the one they crown. The rest choose to go to Bowls (which the NCAA does not get a piece of). If you are in the Bowl subdivision there is no NCAA championship for you just something that the 6 richest conference play for.

:twocents:

You nailed it.

BDKJMU
December 18th, 2006, 10:57 AM
It doesn't matter what the NCAA recognizes. You could ask 100 college football fans, no make that 1,000, after Jan 8 who the NCAA Div I football national champs are, and 999 of them will say Ohio State/FL winner.

If you disagree that Appalachian State is NOT the one and only D-I champion then you have a problem with the NCAA... same as the bc$ does. The NCAA DOES NOT recognize any D-I champ but the one that wins their tournament. The rest are paid TV events of bowl wi$he$ and cry$tal ball dreams.

December 18th, 2006, 05:49 PM
It doesn't matter what the NCAA recognizes. You could ask 100 college football fans, no make that 1,000, after Jan 8 who the NCAA Div I football national champs are, and 999 of them will say Ohio State/FL winner.Like I said, we can't prevent ignorance when the media purposely fuels it to make their money.

AmsterBison
December 18th, 2006, 07:16 PM
If our local news media stops saying that NDSU plays DI-AA BB, then I'll call the name change a success.

McUMass
December 18th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Like I said, we can't prevent ignorance when the media purposely fuels it to make their money.

We can call Appy the NCAA champion, but everyone knows who the best college football team is at the end of the year, whoever wins the BCS championship. Not trying to take anything away from Appy (best team we faced all year), but that's the honest truth.

December 18th, 2006, 09:38 PM
We can call Appy the NCAA champion...As well you should, that's what they are. The NCAA Division I Football Champion. The point is they are the top NCAA champ, not the commercial BCS Tostitos Fritos Alpo Taco Alamo Kokomo champ. Top NCAA champ. :nod:

mcveyrl
December 19th, 2006, 08:38 AM
It doesn't matter what the NCAA recognizes. You could ask 100 college football fans, no make that 1,000, after Jan 8 who the NCAA Div I football national champs are, and 999 of them will say Ohio State/FL winner.

If you don't ask Ralph, 1,000 will say it xlolx xlolx

Well...Ralph or the NCAA.

lizrdgizrd
December 19th, 2006, 08:41 AM
We should have matchups between the #1 FBS team and the 3 NCAA champs. Say FBS vs DIII champ & DI champ vs DII champ. Then the winners play each other for the title of the best college football team of the year.