PDA

View Full Version : SDSU now offering FCOA on a case by case basis

goyotes
February 3rd, 2016, 07:09 PM
This excerpt is from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader regarding SDSU's 2016 recruiting class:

"Late in the recruiting process the program was approved to offer cost of attendance money to some recruits. Stiegelmeier suggested that was done so on a largely case-by-case basis, but it sounds as though they’ll be offering full cost of attendance (as NDSU and USD do) sooner than later."

clenz
February 3rd, 2016, 08:09 PM
SDSU was starting to have recruits take off, or very very seriously consider UNI, USD or NDSU. All of whom are FCOA.

Case by case means "to kid they almost lost".

I know of one that left swapped from SDSU to UNI because of FCOA and then back to SDSU (mostly silently) because FCOA

1992Bison
February 3rd, 2016, 08:22 PM
SDSU was starting to have recruits take off, or very very seriously consider UNI, USD or NDSU. All of whom are FCOA.

Case by case means "to kid they almost lost".

I know of one that left swapped from SDSU to UNI because of FCOA and then back to SDSU (mostly silently) because FCOA

Coach Klieman said FCOA was huge in recruiting this year.

IBleedYellow
February 3rd, 2016, 09:27 PM
Just came back from NDSU's signing day party.

FCOA was huge in some of the recruits we got. It was awesome hearing Coach K talk about how we offer it for all sports, and he can walk into a parents living room and say that they offer full cost of attendance for all students, not just their son who will play for him.

If SDSU takes too long, they will be hurting for a few years trying to catch up.

Thumper 76
February 3rd, 2016, 11:14 PM
Just came back from NDSU's signing day party.

FCOA was huge in some of the recruits we got. It was awesome hearing Coach K talk about how we offer it for all sports, and he can walk into a parents living room and say that they offer full cost of attendance for all students, not just their son who will play for him.

If SDSU takes too long, they will be hurting for a few years trying to catch up.

SDSU needs to get this done NOW. Can't believe how they are dragging their feet with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
February 3rd, 2016, 11:28 PM
SDSU needs to get this done NOW. Can't believe how they are dragging their feet with this.

I had heard a lot of it is timing with the stadium expansion....monies are tough to come by for awhile anyway.

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 07:08 AM
UNH won a recruiting battle for a DB with UND, Alonzo Addae. UND offers FCOA, UNH does not.

Maybe that says more about the football programs however...

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 07:19 AM
UNH won a recruiting battle for a DB with UND, Alonzo Addae. UND offers FCOA, UNH does not.

You answered your own question.

dgtw
February 4th, 2016, 07:39 AM

Where is Alonzo from?

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Where is Alonzo from?

Hightown, NJ...

Offers were UNH, UND and Austin Peay....

So, UNH (321 road miles from his high school and a 1 hour plane trip) beat out UND (1,600 road miles and 5 hour plane trip from his HS) for a kid from New Jersey....

Congrats?

Yeah, I'm not going to think FCOA would matter at all in that case.

Bisonator
February 4th, 2016, 08:18 AM
Hightown, NJ...

So, UNH (321 road miles from his high school and a 1 hour plane trip) beat out UND (1,600 road miles and 5 hour plane trip from his HS) for a kid from New Jersey....

Congrats?

I heard the nickname was a deal breaker. Kid didn't want to be a F'awker!xlolx

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Hightown, NJ...

Congrats?

Any wagers if the Bison offered he would be in Fargo? :D xlolx

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Any wagers if the Bison offered he would be in Fargo? :D xlolx

Pretty sure he was going to UNH, look at the distance. There is something to be said for being close to home.

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 08:45 AM
Pretty sure he was going to UNH, look at the distance. There is something to be said for being close to home.

Totally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBVuZwHHP-g

FELIX DIXON, DB, 6-0, 165, Fr., Clearwater, Fla./Countryside HS
HIGH SCHOOL: Three-year starting defensive back under head coach Eric Schmitz...Countryside's special teams MVP...Second team all-county defensive back...Part of a 9-2 team that won a district championship and qualified for the Class 7A playoffs...Selected to play for USA Football's Under-19 team in the 2016 International Bowl...PERSONAL: Born Dec. 7, 1997...Son of Frank and Demetris Dixon of Clearwater, Fla...Family includes a brother, Frank Jr., and a sister, Faith.

F'N Hawks
February 4th, 2016, 08:51 AM
Hightown, NJ...

Congrats?

UND offered him when he was at Canada Prep Academy. He transferred to that "prep" school out there to get more exposure, which obviously didn't go far. There was no contact after he moved out there.

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 08:55 AM
UND offered him when he was at Canada Prep Academy. He transferred to that "prep" school out there to get more exposure, which obviously didn't go far. There was no contact after he moved out there.

Did you guys take him to a hockey game on his official visit?

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM
Totally

There are clearly some cases where being close to home does matter. Some where it obviously does not.

mmiller_34
February 4th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Sounds like SDSU will start offering FCOA normally for next years class. I'm glad to hear it.

dgtw
February 4th, 2016, 09:27 AM
There are clearly some cases where being close to home does matter. Some where it obviously does not.

It is up to the individual.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 09:34 AM
LOL WHOOPS

Sorry BF02...I neg repped when I meant to pos rep you. D'oh.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 09:35 AM
LOL WHOOPS

It defaults to pos rep....

That seems intentional...xcoffeex

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
Hey LADIES. Hes from CANADA. He went to school in NJ. Not sure where in Canada but he still may be from closer to UNH.

Regardless, FCOA wasnt enough to convince him...

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:07 AM
Hey LADIES. Hes from CANADA. He went to school in NJ. Not sure where in Canada but he still may be from closer to UNH.

You do know the east coast touches Canada too?

Care to guess what part of Canada he's from?

I'll give you a hint...

The town in Canada he grew up in is still 700 miles closer to UNH (500 miles) than UND (1,200 miles).

St. Catharines is the NW side of Niagra Falls.

No wonder FCOA wasn't enough.

What, jokes about ND being Canada are actually true and every Canadian player (no matter where in Canada they are from) is naturally drawn to the ND schools?

For all we know his offer from UND wasn't really there anymore. Sounds like, from what I've read, UND stopped recruiting him a long while back.

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 10:08 AM

Wait he was from Canada and choosing between UNH and UND. Are we sure this wasn't a hockey player?

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 10:09 AM
You do know the east coast touches Canada too?

Care to guess what part of Canada he's from?

I'll give you a hint...

The town in Canada he grew up in is still 700 miles closer to UNH (500 miles) than UND (1,200 miles).

St. Catharines is the NW side of Niagra Falls.

Fair enough, but he has to get on a plane either way...I can understand his choosing if UND just stopped recruiting him altogether. But from some of the articles about him, he indicated that wasnt the case. Im not here to say FCOA is useless, Im sure it has an effect, but others can certainly get by without it.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:10 AM
A little more perspective on where he grew up vs where UND is.

Guess what town is, essentially, an identical distance from St. Catharines Ontario....

Gainesville, FL

Yep....

Does that put it in perspective for you?

EDIT...I TAKE THAT BACK

GAINSEVILLE, FL IS ACTUALLY 101 MILES CLOSER TO HIS CANADIAN HOME TOWN THAT GRAND FORKS, ND

ORLANDO IS 50 MILES CLOSER

THE TRUE EQUALIZER IS LAKELAND, FLORIDA.

Here's a link to show you were Lakeland, FL is

http://naplesbug.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Lakeland-FL-Pest-Control-Bed-bugs.jpg

Grizzlies82
February 4th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Totally

I'm sure he is a very nice young man, comes from a great family, and is nice to kittens.

None the less, note he packs the wallop of a four foot six inches kid, and was "SECOND TEAM" for their "ALL COUNTY" team.

Sheesh, this kid is probably grateful he could play anywhere.
So under these circumstances NDSU getting a kid from Florida is nothing to crow about.

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 10:15 AM
UNH got signees from San Diego last year, we hit Georgia and FL 3 years in a row now. Also hit Texas this year. Im starting to see that distance didnt really matter for some kids. But certainly FCOA doesnt matter all that much to some either.

look at this kid. He had plenty of FCOA offers. Didnt matter to him either. Neither was traveling from TX to NH.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/DeUnte-Chatman-84497/RecruitInterests

Thumper 76
February 4th, 2016, 10:16 AM
Fair enough, but he has to get on a plane either way...I can understand his choosing if UND just stopped recruiting him altogether. But from some of the articles about him, he indicated that wasnt the case. Im not here to say FCOA is useless, Im sure it has an effect, but others can certainly get by without it.

It has a much bigger impact when you are right next door and all your rival schools are offering it compared to being across the country from it I would wager.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:34 AM
It has a much bigger impact when you are right next door and all your rival schools are offering it compared to being across the country from it I would wager.

This is exactly why you see NDSU, UNI, SDSU, and USD all offering it. NDSU, SDSU and UNI all hit the same parts of the Twin Cities, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Nebraska hard.

With many of the Twin Cities kids it's essentially a "coin flip" between NDSU and UNI. You think either school is going to give, even a small, advantage to the other? Hell no.

Look at UNI's main recruiting areas - Kansas City, St. Louis, Twin Cities and Wisconsin. UNI went in and grabbed kids with P5 offers because of FCOA and location to home. Kids that picked up late FBS offers, that in the past may have left, stuck around.

It makes a HUGE difference in the mid-west right now.

The Illinois Schools are going to lose Iowa/St. Louis area and Wisconsin kids at a much higher rate to the other 4 than they previously may have. They don't have the money to offer it.

As I said earlier in the thread, SDSU lost a kid (quietly) to UNI and I think he ended up going back to SDSU. It was a combo of SDSU giving FCOA and UNI having 4 other kids at the same position in the class, with one "Athlete" in play for the same spot plus anyone else that gets position moved.

SDSU came back to him and offered him a ride (and probably FCOA, because it was the "based on need case by case deal) and he took it.

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 10:43 AM
Its an interesting dynamic, and a completely different story depending on the area. Perhaps thats the difference in competition right now with the MVFC and everyone else.

UNH hasnt been able to compete with the rest of the CAA schools in the recruiting hot beds of the east coast, so they have had to look elsewhere. W&M, JMU, and UD all have dominated in VA, the Carolinas, and Maryland. UNH and Maine are left with some of PA, NY, and some of NJ. UNH has been really dominant in New England lately (Not a hotbed), even doing much better than UMass and pulling recruits away from BC too. However UNH has had to stretch into the south and into Cali to try and get ahead. We havent seen FCOA be an issue yet, but none of the CAA schools have it either. None of the CAA even attempts to recruit the midwest either (As far as i know...).

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 10:46 AM
You could almost make a map of the US where the conferences recruit, and its almost unspoken rule to not cross conference territory IMO.

F'N Hawks
February 4th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Did you guys take him to a hockey game on his official visit?

Wouldn't have access to that crucial information. Although since he never came on a visit I would say no.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Wouldn't have access to that crucial information.
How not?

UNI took 17 recruits to a basketball game a few weekends ago during an official visit day.

It's not secret, by any stretch.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 10:53 AM
I'm sure he is a very nice young man, comes from a great family, and is nice to kittens.

None the less, note he packs the wallop of a four foot six inches kid, and was "SECOND TEAM" for their "ALL COUNTY" team.

Sheesh, this kid is probably grateful he could play anywhere.
So under these circumstances NDSU getting a kid from Florida is nothing to crow about.

The last kid that we got in Florida did this to you guys as a true Freshman.

https://youtu.be/zymiREymZT0?t=1h35m40s

So sit.

F'N Hawks
February 4th, 2016, 10:53 AM
How not?

UNI took 17 recruits to a basketball game a few weekends ago during an official visit day.

It's not secret, by any stretch.

I was joking. UND takes their FB recruits to both hockey and basketball games, depending on who is in town. I know recruits went to part of the womens BB game and part of the hockey game one weekend. Not time to sit at both the entire game.

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 4th, 2016, 10:55 AM
You could almost make a map of the US where the conferences recruit, and its almost unspoken rule to not cross conference territory IMO.

I'm sure conferences recruit in their "geographical" footprint but most good FCS programs bring in kids from across the country.

NDSU has brought kids in from FL, TX and a kid from Maryland (JUCO transfer from a school 40 miles south). But generally, NDSU gets most of its recruits from MN, ND, WI, IA, NE and SD.

clenz
February 4th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I'm sure conferences recruit in their "geographical" footprint but most good FCS programs bring in kids from across the country.

NDSU has brought kids in from FL, TX and a kid from Maryland (JUCO transfer from a school 40 miles south). But generally, NDSU gets most of its recruits from MN, ND, WI, IA, NE and SD.
UNI's best teams were a core of Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Missouri but had key players from Florida, New York or California.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 11:04 AM
UNI's best teams were a core of Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin/Missouri but had key players from Florida, New York or California.

Same with NDSU. These two programs are built on close to the same blueprint.

Thumper 76
February 4th, 2016, 11:22 AM

SDSU has had a decent amount of guys from AZ.

UNHWildcat18
February 4th, 2016, 11:29 AM
Can someone explain to me why FCOA even exists? These kids are already getting tuition, room and board, and a meal plan. College for free what more do they want? I'm sure books are really breaking the banks of parents who pay 0/40k for their full scholarship athlete son or daughter to go to school.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 11:37 AM
Can someone explain to me why FCOA even exists? These kids are already getting tuition, room and board, and a meal plan. College for free what more do they want? I'm sure books are really breaking the banks of parents who pay 0/40k for their full scholarship athlete son or daughter to go to school.

Each school has extra costs that aren't included in scholarships, and they have reported these figures to the NCAA for years (and been a requirement since 2011), someone basically figured out it would help ease the students if we could cover these entire extra expenses as well.

Mattymc727
February 4th, 2016, 12:03 PM

These kids are "slaves" remember?

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/387407/stu-dent-ath-o-leets

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 12:12 PM
LOL WHOOPS

Feel the wrath of BF02's rep power. xlolx

UNHWildcat18
February 4th, 2016, 01:43 PM
Each school has extra costs that aren't included in scholarships, and they have reported these figures to the NCAA for years (and been a requirement since 2011), someone basically figured out it would help ease the students if we could cover these entire extra expenses as well.

Have you looked into what costs they mention? I can understand books I guess or even a flight for a family emergency for a kid who isn't a car ride away from home.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Have you looked into what costs they mention? I can understand books I guess or even a flight for a family emergency for a kid who isn't a car ride away from home.

https://fafsa.ed.gov/help/costatt.htm

BisonFan02
February 4th, 2016, 02:49 PM

You must spread rep before giving....blah blah blah. :D

BisonBacker
February 4th, 2016, 04:44 PM
Same with NDSU. These two programs are built on close to the same blueprint.

Except for NDSU doesn't **** the bed when it counts xthumbsupx

UNIFanSince1983
February 4th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Except for NDSU doesn't **** the bed when it counts xthumbsupx

Just because you have the same blueprint doesn't mean you get the same quality of building. All about your contractors.

IBleedYellow
February 4th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Just because you have the same blueprint doesn't mean you get the same quality of building. All about your contractors.

That self diss, though.

Thumper 76
February 4th, 2016, 10:44 PM

From what I've gathered from people talking on sdsufans.com SDSU might actually end up with an advantage when they offer FCOA fully due to the cost being higher in Brookings than the other schools so they would be able to offer more $ to an athlete due to that. Someone hinted that a lot of that comes from the high cost of rent for students in Brookings.

Bisonoline
February 4th, 2016, 10:44 PM

Each school has been figuring the FCOA for years and each student and parent is given that information. That information is available through the admissions office I think and its posted on a national registry as well.

UNIFanSince1983
February 5th, 2016, 02:36 PM
That self diss, though.

Hey the results on the field show we aren't get the same quality of building materials you guys have. Our contractor is skimping on somethings.

Twentysix
February 5th, 2016, 06:24 PM
From what I've gathered from people talking on sdsufans.com SDSU might actually end up with an advantage when they offer FCOA fully due to the cost being higher in Brookings than the other schools so they would be able to offer more $ to an athlete due to that. Someone hinted that a lot of that comes from the high cost of rent for students in Brookings.

How expensive is rent in brookings? A 2bdrm around here is about $4,000 a month lol.

andthehomeofthe-BIZON-
February 5th, 2016, 10:46 PM
Hey the results on the field show we aren't get the same quality of building materials you guys have. Our contractor is skimping on somethings.

If by building materials you mean someone your head coach lets call offensive plays and or a quarterback that can throw better than run. I agree....

Thumper 76
February 6th, 2016, 07:27 AM
How expensive is rent in brookings? A 2bdrm around here is about $4,000 a month lol.

Lol ok not comparing it nationally, but compared to our rivals it's more expensive I think. I know we (4 guys) rented an absolute ****hole missing a window, cracked front door (big enough to use as a peep hole), ect for $1200/month.

Twentysix
February 6th, 2016, 07:04 PM
Lol ok not comparing it nationally, but compared to our rivals it's more expensive I think. I know we (4 guys) rented an absolute ****hole missing a window, cracked front door (big enough to use as a peep hole), ect for $1200/month.

You paid $300 a month each to rent a house? Lol ok nm. I was talking about an apartment. I think $300/per person is quite a deal on rent in Fargo around NDSU. I'd love to get back to those levels for rent :(

Thundar
February 6th, 2016, 08:11 PM

That's not expensive

Thumper 76
February 6th, 2016, 08:18 PM
That's not expensive

I'm cheap :D

NDSU1980
February 6th, 2016, 08:31 PM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkOffering more only helps if you can actually pay it. I'd sure like to see how SDSU is going to finance this. The other thing, that higher CIA figure is seen by regular students and I've got to believe that will cause some of them to decide to enroll in a different school because it's cheaper. Higher COA for non athletes just translates in higher costs for going to school

Lastly, I upped my Team Makers donation last spring to the next level in anticipation of COA, and intend to up considerably more when I renew in April, so that should help NDSU pay for it. My wife graduated from SDSU and she ain't giving them anything, so be sure to pony up her share too. LOL.

Thumper 76
February 6th, 2016, 08:33 PM
My wife graduated from SDSU and she ain't giving them anything, so be sure to pony up her share too. LOL.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160207/ee7cb3a67cc6953fcc3a62062e9aab89.jpg
You like to keep bringing that up. NOBODY GIVES A ****.

i_got_a_fever
February 8th, 2016, 08:43 AM
SDSU $5,000
USD $4,145

NDSU $3,400
UND $3,400

UNI $2,200 In-State $2,560 Out of State

IBleedYellow
February 8th, 2016, 11:48 AM
Significant difference in the towns of Grand Forks, Vermillion, Brookings and Fargo.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Bisonator
February 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM
SDSU $5,000
USD $4,145

NDSU $3,400
UND $3,400

UNI $2,200 In-State $2,560 Out of State

The extra must just be compensation for having to live in Brookings.xlolx

Twentysix
February 9th, 2016, 12:53 AM
The extra must just be compensation for having to live in Brookings.xlolx

Maybe it is gas money to sioux falls. xeyebrowx

Bison Fan in NW MN
February 9th, 2016, 07:16 AM
Significant difference in the towns of Grand Forks, Vermillion, Brookings and Fargo.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Wonder why Brookings is so high?..........

Brookings = epicenter of ?

clenz
February 9th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Wonder why Brookings is so high?..........

Brookings = epicenter of ?
This

Maybe it is gas money to sioux falls. xeyebrowx

i_got_a_fever
February 9th, 2016, 10:11 AM
The cost of hunting and fishing is more expensive then robbing a Best Buy, petition fraud, resisting arrest and indecent exposure...

IBleedYellow
February 9th, 2016, 11:05 AM
The cost of hunting and fishing is more expensive then robbing a Best Buy, petition fraud, resisting arrest and indecent exposure...

Hunting and fishing costs almost nothing in ND.

Ask Carson Wentz. That's what he'll be doing the day of the NFL Draft.

YoUDeeMan
February 9th, 2016, 11:21 AM
UNH got signees from San Diego last year, we hit Georgia and FL 3 years in a row now. Also hit Texas this year. Im starting to see that distance didnt really matter for some kids. But certainly FCOA doesnt matter all that much to some either.

look at this kid. He had plenty of FCOA offers. Didnt matter to him either. Neither was traveling from TX to NH.

http://247sports.com/Recruitment/DeUnte-Chatman-84497/RecruitInterests

Wait, Boach Crock says that UNH is a team he holds up to as a standard he wants to match.

WTF are you guys doing recruiting outside of a 4-5 hour radius? xeyebrowx

i_got_a_fever
February 9th, 2016, 11:36 AM
Hunting and fishing costs almost nothing in ND.

Ask Carson Wentz. That's what he'll be doing the day of the NFL Draft.

I think Ryan Leaf enjoyed fishing as well.

Bisonator
February 9th, 2016, 11:37 AM

Apparently players had to resort to burglary, robbery and selling pot before FCOA was instituted as well.

NDSU1980
February 9th, 2016, 09:28 PM
I'd much rather be giving $3400 to every athlete (proportionately to the scholly) rather than giving $5000 to a select few and nothing to the rest.

Kemo
February 10th, 2016, 12:51 AM
I'd much rather be giving $3400 to every athlete (proportionately to the scholly) rather than giving $5000 to a select few and nothing to the rest.

Well, if your wife would donate to her alma mater we'd have enough money to pay every student-athlete... xpeacex

KUlawJack
February 10th, 2016, 09:10 AM

Well, then you don't have to worry about it as that isn't what's happening moving forward. Proportionality to scholarship will likely be a key in this matter for us as well.