PDA

View Full Version : Toughest 2007 FCS schedule has already been decided.

FargoBison
December 15th, 2006, 12:39 AM
http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,650214946,00.html
And the winner goes to SUU, this schedule is just crazy.....

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

I hope their AD has it in his heart to schedule a DII to start the season instead of looking for a I-A money game.

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 01:19 AM
Holy crumb, that's a whopper! They might as well round it off with a money game against an FBS school--the cash from that will at least be something to salvage from their season.

LeopardFan04
December 15th, 2006, 01:23 AM
only 5 playoff teams? plus NDSU on the road? pffft...what a joke...:smiley_wi

no seriously, that schedule is crazy...:rotateh:

sdgriz24
December 15th, 2006, 01:24 AM
They could be a top 20 team and still lose all of those.That's brutal,they're gonna be beat up at the end.

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 01:32 AM
They could go 5-6--maybe even 4-7--and finish with more quality wins than most of the teams that will make the playoffs.

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2006, 06:49 AM
YIKES!!!:eek:

Nine top 20s, and another playoff team.

penguin8797
December 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM
The 4 game stretch on the road against 3 2006 playoff teams and one near miss is pretty brutal.

RabidRabbit
December 15th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Only 4 home games so far also. So look for a D-2 home or maybe they could get San Diego in.

Suggest they look into having some Coyotes in to play.

Fargo pegged this. BRUTAL!!!

UNHWildCats
December 15th, 2006, 08:05 AM

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

I hope their AD has it in his heart to schedule a DII to start the season instead of looking for a I-A money game.

San Diego should hire this AD :hurray: :rotateh: xlolx xlolx xlolx

BillLuc1982
December 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM

xlolx I wonder if he'd rather live by the hot blondes or in Cedar City. xlolx

spelunker64
December 15th, 2006, 08:10 AM

xlolx Best line I've read all morning...

appfan2008
December 15th, 2006, 10:08 AM
That is one sick schedule
Wow congrats to SUU for making a schedule like that... I think you should get in the playoffs if you even make 6-5 and definately 7-4 because you practically only play playoff caliber teams all year long

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:14 AM

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

Now that AD has some cojones! :eek:

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Sorry fellas...

The hardest schedule is Northwestern State's. Atleast, that's what their head coach will lead you to believe. He plays this line every year, whether NWST is having a good year or not. On KatFans, they call him 'Stoker the Joker'...

Current NWST schedule:

Northwestern State
9/8 Central Arkansas
9/15 @ Northeastern
10/6 Nicholls St
10/13 Southeastern Louisiana
10/20 @ Sam Houston St
10/27 Texas St - San Marcos
11/3 @ Ole Miss
11/10 @ McNeese State
11/17 Stephen F Austin

walliver
December 15th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Not a single SoCon or A-10/CAA team on the schedule. Looks cushy to me:D

GrizFoo
December 15th, 2006, 10:42 AM
That is what is so sweet about a conference with very few teams. They get to schedule a ton of OOC games.

I wish that was the Griz schedule, even if it appears to be tough at he!!.

89Hen
December 15th, 2006, 10:43 AM
@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill.
:nonono2: IMO what you guys call guts, I call stupidity.

MrTitleist
December 15th, 2006, 10:44 AM
That schedule is insane.. they'll be lucky to win two games in that schedule. Good for building reputation though!

GaSouthern
December 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
.... as a cupcake! ;)

Nodak
December 15th, 2006, 10:52 AM
SUU will be lucky to win one game next year, if they get a D2 game on the plate.:eyebrow:

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 11:06 AM
:nonono2: IMO what you guys call guts, I call stupidity.

Agreed. That is not the right schedule for that team.

eaglesrthe1
December 15th, 2006, 11:26 AM
I agree also. Some might say that a schedule like that will make you forged by the fire. It looks more like suicide to me. : smh :

bison95
December 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM
It's called raising the bar, testing yourself, playing the best to be the best......

Those of you pussies who think this is wrong should all become USD fans, and move on to the torerreo board:eyebrow:

ucdtim17
December 15th, 2006, 11:53 AM
I don't think SUU was planning on making the playoffs next year anyways. This is not Portland State scheduling themselves out of playoff consideration

RabidRabbit
December 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM
They could go 5-6--maybe even 4-7--and finish with more quality wins than most of the teams that will make the playoffs.

Problem is, they are likely to be 0-11 with that schedule. But if they want to get off the cellar of the GWFC, they need to get so they're in each game of a schedule like this.

Other than SDSU's NAIA/NCAA D-III games in '06, this isn't that far off what the Rabbits did last year, nor is it far off our '07 schedule. Especially if the Griz honor their 2/1 and come to Brookings.

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA *at Youngstown St. (most likely date)
Sept. 15 - TBA *Montana supposed to be here
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

The GWFC - PLAYS TOUGH SCHEDULES, if other schools will home/home!

SUU is making a strong statement about the direction they want to achieve.

eaglesrthe1
December 15th, 2006, 12:09 PM
It's called raising the bar, testing yourself, playing the best to be the best......

Those of you pussies who think this is wrong should all become USD fans, and move on to the torerreo board:eyebrow:

Coastal is doing it the right way. Win first, get some excitement/interest into the program. Then schedule tougher. 0-11, 1-10 seasons are not the way to make a successful program.

TexasTerror
December 15th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Coastal is doing it the right way. Win first, get some excitement/interest into the program. Then schedule tougher. 0-11, 1-10 seasons are not the way to make a successful program.

Schedule tougher? See their 2007 schedule? Outside of GA Southern, JMU and Furman, their OOC is Delaware St, Winston Salem State and Chowan. They could've done a bit better...

Sept. 1 at Delaware State
Sept. 8 vs. Winston-Salem State
Sept. 15 vs. Georgia Southern
Sept. 22 at James Madison
Sept. 29 open week
Oct. 6 at Furman
Oct. 13 vs. Chowan
Oct. 20 vs. Presbyterian
Oct. 27 vs. VMI
Nov. 3 at Liberty
Nov. 10 vs. Gardner-Webb
Nov. 17 at Charleston Southern

ereiz03
December 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
"Those of you pussies who think this is wrong should all become USD fans, and move on to the torerreo board"

Are you really going to start this **** again?

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2006, 01:49 PM
"Those of you pussies who think this is wrong should all become USD fans, and move on to the torerreo board"

Are you really going to start this **** again?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

JALMOND
December 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Too early to see what final 2007 schedules are going to be. Last year, the day of the championship game, PSU had McNeese, Cal Poly and no I-A teams on their schedule. Final schedule before the year began, we had no Cowboys, and no Mustangs, just a bunch of Bears (UNC, Montana and Cal), some Cats (Idaho State, Montana State and Weber), a pack of Dogs (New Mexico), Loggers (Northern Arizona), and the Birds (Eastern Washington, Oregon) and the Bees (Sacramento State).

Right now, OOC has Davis and McNeese so we got room for one more, but of course that all can change.

RabidRabbit
December 15th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Too early to see what final 2007 schedules are going to be. Last year, the day of the championship game, PSU had McNeese, Cal Poly and no I-A teams on their schedule. Final schedule before the year began, we had no Cowboys, and no Mustangs, just a bunch of Bears (UNC, Montana and Cal), some Cats (Idaho State, Montana State and Weber), a pack of Dogs (New Mexico), Loggers (Northern Arizona), and the Birds (Eastern Washington, Oregon) and the Bees (Sacramento State).

Right now, OOC has Davis and McNeese so we got room for one more, but of course that all can change.

NDSU would probably love to do a home/home with Portland St. :hurray:

eaglesrthe1
December 19th, 2006, 09:21 PM
Schedule tougher? See their 2007 schedule? Outside of GA Southern, JMU and Furman, their OOC is Delaware St, Winston Salem State and Chowan. They could've done a bit better...

Sept. 29 open week
Oct. 6 at Furman
Oct. 13 vs. Chowan
Oct. 20 vs. Presbyterian
Oct. 27 vs. VMI
Nov. 3 at Liberty
Nov. 10 vs. Gardner-Webb

It's a legit way to make the post-season. Run through your weak opponents, go 2-1 against 3 potential playoff opponents, finish 9-2 or better and you're in. If you schedule tougher, say 4 potential playoff opponents then you can go 2-2 and 8-3. Some of that depends on how other teams finish. It's the formula that GSU has used, like forever.

If you falter and don't make the playoffs, then perhaps you went 7-4 or 8-3 and you can have some optimism for your fans to hang their hats on.

SUU has anywhere from 8-10 playoff quality opponents on their schedule, which IMO, is just sheer stupidity. They are in for a poor season at best, and in all probability, some serious ass-whoopins. I can't see where next year will in any way be a benefit to their program, unless most of the teams that they play have a down year at the same time, and they want to make some hay out of the fact that they hung with some programs during a sub-par year.

BigApp
December 19th, 2006, 09:26 PM

That is a tough schedule. Crazy as a matter of fact. If the T-birds have a bunch of freshmen next year, it would make sense to toughen 'em up. If not, then YIKES! :eek:

proasu89
December 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM
A very tough schedule... but's Western Carolina's looks insane to me
@Alabama
@EKU
@Geogia
Presby
@GSU
Elon
@UTC
Citadel
Wofford
@ASU
Furman

As hard as the injury bug hit this year it could be a lot worse next year.

RabidRabbit
December 19th, 2006, 09:44 PM
@Alabama
@EKU
@Geogia
Presby
@GSU
Elon
@UTC
Citadel
Wofford
@ASU
Furman

Appears that both WCU & SUU are set to :bang: :bang: :bang:

Those schedules are nuts.

skinny_uncle
December 19th, 2006, 09:54 PM
3 Gateway teams on their schedule? Yeah, they are nuts.
:D

RabidRabbit
December 19th, 2006, 10:57 PM
3 Gateway teams on their schedule? Yeah, they are nuts.
:D

'Rabbits also are playing 3 Gateway teams in '07, WIU, YSU, & UNI.

Aug. 30 - at Western Illinois
Sept. 8 - TBA *at Youngstown St. (most likely date)
Sept. 15 - TBA *Montana supposed to be here (UNI instead)
Sept. 22 - Texas State
Sept. 29 - Stephen F. Austin
Oct. 6 - at Georgia Southern
Oct. 13 - TBA
Oct. 20 - Cal Poly
Oct. 27 - at UC Davis
Nov. 3 - at Central Arkansas
Nov.10 - Southern Utah
Nov. 17 - NDSU

What NEXT? NDSU with 3 Gateways? xlolx xlolx Hope so, that and a game against App. St. for them :thumbsup:

appfan2008
December 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
I hope ASU's schedule comes out soon... I am really looking forward to seeing the order of SOCON games and who our OOC will be

Old Cat Fan
December 20th, 2006, 12:34 AM
@Alabama
@EKU
@Geogia
Presby
@GSU
Elon
@UTC
Citadel
Wofford
@ASU
Furman

ALABAMA - GEOGIA :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Will all Western Carolina's season ticket holders please press

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/funkey_b1.jpg

bandl
December 20th, 2006, 07:38 AM
@Alabama
@EKU
@Geogia
Presby
@GSU
Elon
@UTC
Citadel
Wofford
@ASU
Furman

Other than the two FCS games, ASU & Furman...what's so tough about this schedule?? I see a 5, maybe 6, game stretch of games that they should win.

proasu89
December 20th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Other than the two FCS games, ASU & Furman...what's so tough about this schedule?? I see a 5, maybe 6, game stretch of games that they should win.
Add Wofford, Citadel, and Ga. Southern to the list. I don't want to kick Western while they're down but Presby, Elon, & UTC might be there only outs. And, they better step up to beat Elon & UTC

bandl
December 20th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Add Wofford, Citadel, and Ga. Southern to the list. I don't want to kick Western while they're down but Presby, Elon, & UTC might be there only outs. And, they better step up to beat Elon & UTC

Well this is WCU we're talking about....many schools would be able to beat a 5-6 Citadel and a 3-8 GSU....doesn't make this schedule anything comparable to SUU. Being the bottom feeder in your conference doesn't automatically give that team the rights to the 'toughest schedule'. :thumbsup:

WYOBISONMAN
December 20th, 2006, 08:29 AM

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

My only suggestion is to get Ohio State and Michigan on that schedule.....

AZGrizFan
December 20th, 2006, 08:33 AM

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

Bahh. We all know the BSC is overrated (so eliminate MSU and UM from the list), "everybody" agreed SIU and McNeese were cupcakes in the playoffs for Montana this year, so they can't be that tough, and UNI was only 7-4 last year and they play in that pansy Gateway conference....I mean, how good can they be? UCD was only 6-5, and SDSU got SMOKED by Montana, so they aren't really that good either. NDSU didn't play a single playoff team, so we're not real sure how good they are. And Cal Poly couldn't even make the playoffs this year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That only leaves Youngstown State.

:p

Just wanted to recap some of the ridiculous arguments I've heard AGAINST these teams being good as we now all crown them chipper material. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

proasu89
December 20th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Well this is WCU we're talking about....many schools would be able to beat a 5-6 Citadel and a 3-8 GSU....doesn't make this schedule anything comparable to SUU. Being the bottom feeder in your conference doesn't automatically give that team the rights to the 'toughest schedule'. :thumbsup:
Why wouldn't you then apply the same reasoning to SUU? Just like WCU they are in way over their head but those teams are beatable by others in the FCS. And IMO I will stick to believing that Alabama, Georgia, ASU, Furman, Wofford, & Georgia Southern in the same year is just absurd.:twocents:

Gil Dobie
December 20th, 2006, 10:04 AM

@NDSU
Cal Poly
@SDSU
UCD
McNeese St
@Montana
@Youngstown St
@Northern Iowa
@Montana St
Southern Ill

0-10 is very realistic, unless they get a plethera of transfers from USC and Texas.

rokamortis
December 20th, 2006, 10:33 AM

Sept. 29 open week
Oct. 6 at Furman
Oct. 13 vs. Chowan
Oct. 20 vs. Presbyterian
Oct. 27 vs. VMI
Nov. 3 at Liberty
Nov. 10 vs. Gardner-Webb

I don't disagree that they could have done a little better job, but the only real problem I have is Chowan. If they could have replaced that team with a decent I-AA I would be very happy. We have 2 playoff teams and an improving Big South slate. I also expect GSU to be better in 2007. Del State earned some respect this year. Presby is a future conference mate.

bison95
December 20th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Bahh. We all know the BSC is overrated (so eliminate MSU and UM from the list), "everybody" agreed SIU and McNeese were cupcakes in the playoffs for Montana this year, so they can't be that tough, and UNI was only 7-4 last year and they play in that pansy Gateway conference....I mean, how good can they be? UCD was only 6-5, and SDSU got SMOKED by Montana, so they aren't really that good either. NDSU didn't play a single playoff team, so we're not real sure how good they are. And Cal Poly couldn't even make the playoffs this year. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That only leaves Youngstown State.

:p

Just wanted to recap some of the ridiculous arguments I've heard AGAINST these teams being good as we now all crown them chipper material. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

89Hen
December 20th, 2006, 02:11 PM

xlolx Use one awful schedule to make a point about another awful one? There is an easy balance in a I-AA schedule. Outside of their four conference games SUU should have 2-3 toughies, 2-3 winable, 2-3 very winable. There's no joy in going 1-10. Not for the fans, not for the players, not for the coaches, not for the alums who won't give :twocents: to the program if they lose year after year.

Footix
December 20th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Sept. 29 open week
Oct. 6 at Furman
Oct. 13 vs. Chowan
Oct. 20 vs. Presbyterian
Oct. 27 vs. VMI
Nov. 3 at Liberty
Nov. 10 vs. Gardner-Webb

We could have done a bit better by finding a FCS alternative to Chowan, but be realistic. Coastal is still building and the schedule is going to be pretty difficult for a team that loses 36 seniors. One alternative to Chowan was to schedule Louisville, who wanted CCU for just over $200,000 -- which just wasn't enough incentive for Bennett to risk getting his players too beat up. What would you be saying had CCU scheduled Ga. Southern, JMU, Furman and Louisville (and an open week) in five weeks?

BearsCountry
December 20th, 2006, 04:50 PM
Looks like SUU took WKU spot on some Gateway schedule's.