PDA

View Full Version : Why do so many people despise running tracks in their football stadiums?

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I realize that tracks push the stands back some distance, but it's not that much. Frankly, it's always made sense to me to put the track around the football field as it's a better a use of space, which allows more fields for other athletic teams. It's not like you're sitting in the back row of the 700 level of the Vet.

In I-A, many teams have eliminated their running tracks from the football satdiums, but that's only to shoe-horn in more stands. The existing seating does not get any closer as a result. Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio St. and Penn St. are teams that come to mind. All of them have moved their tracks out of the stadiums.

Why do so many people seem (to me at least) despise running tracks?

89Hen
July 6th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Why do so many people seem (to me at least) despise running tracks?.... "tracks push the stands back some distance"

;)

UAalum72
July 6th, 2005, 03:24 PM
That's just it, it's a compromise, like the round football/baseball stadiums of the early 70's. Adequate for both sports but ideal for neither. If you don't have the room or the money, put the track there, but if you want the best possible seating for your highest-attended outdoor sport, put the track around a practice field or the field hockey pitch.

VictorG
July 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I love being close to the players and the field. It seems to keep the Griz fans into the game more.

ccujacket
July 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
It looks high school.

Sly Fox
July 6th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Actually, at Texas (and I believe OSU as well) they lowered the field when they took out the track in order to add additional seating even closer to the field. And trying to squeeze even more fans into full stadiums was the primary motivation.

TexasTerror
July 6th, 2005, 04:19 PM
The Univ of Texas has one helluva track stadium that operates much better without being at Darrell Royal Memorial Stadium. The Mike Meyers Complex hosts the Texas Relays and Texas HS State Championships. One of the premier facilities. It worked out better for them...

SHSU has our track around the football field. We just upgraded it for the SLC track and field championships, one of the finest run championships that the SLC has ever done too according to everyone you ask (i.e officials).

ChickenMan
July 6th, 2005, 04:26 PM

Because Nova has a track around theirs... :p

Retro
July 6th, 2005, 04:28 PM
1. It's an eyesore, especially during a game.

2. It does affect the atmosphere of the game if fans are further away.

3. If you have it separate, then the track team can also use it, which is not possible during football games, practices or events..

Did i mention it's an eyesore?

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2005, 04:42 PM
3. If you have it separate, then the track team can also use it, which is not possible during football games, practices or events..

Did i mention it's an eyesore?

I thought Track & Field was a spring sport.

I guess the reason I'm so puzzled is I've never thought of it as an eyesore. Every high school stadium I played in had a track, so I suppose I was used to it. Hell, I remember the excitement at Moravian College when the ADDED a track to the football stadium. It allowed them to field a track program for the first time. Alfred University would love to have a track around Merril Field, but there's no room. Instead, the track team has to "borrow" a field from a nearby junior college.

blukeys
July 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Del State has a track and you can be sitting in a box seat and it seems like you are 15 miles away from the action. If you have ever been to the Tub you are right on top of the benches and close to the action up to the 15th row. It really improves the atmosphere not to have a track.

MR. CHICKEN
July 6th, 2005, 07:39 PM
TRACKS ARE FOR KIDS....OR IS DAT..TRIX?........:confused:................AWK!

arkstfan
July 6th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Every stadium has a certain "pitch" to it. The stands are at whatever angle rising above the field. In a stadium with a track, the stands will normally start at about 7 to 10 feet above the sideline and rise at whatever pitch.

In a stadium with a track, let's say the first row is 8 feet above the sidelines and 15 feet from the side of the field. Not a bad view.

Now let's add a track. You are still 8 ft above but now 30 feet away.

#1. You've left some prime real estate unsold. #2. You've given the person in the front row a much worse view. It's not just the distance, it is the angle as well.

With a track you have a shallower angle to look down and more of the field is obstructed by the players on the sideline. Take the track out get closer and you have a better vantage point to be looking downward. Less of the field is obstructed by the players.

Now if you do like Arkansas or Texas and lower the field and rip out the track your seat hasn't moved but your view has improved because you are looking more down and less across and in turn less of your view is obstructed.

The real crime with tracks is if you have a stadium like the one at North Texas where the seats have a very low pitch. The guy halfway up the stands is even further from the field because you have a track and the lesser slope has him even further away than if the stands were more vertical.

Now you could have a track and not ruin the view but find a school that is willing to have its first row of seats 20 or 30 feet above the sidelines when they are cutting corners by having a track there in the first place.

Final point. Unless land costs are at an extreme premium you aren't really saving much having a track at the football stadium. The track portion is going to cost the same to build whether it is in the stadium or not. If you are serious about track you want a decent surface and that means an acclerated repair and maintenence schedule from having about 80 large guys in cleats standing, walking and jogging around on each straight away for 3+ hours for every game, practice or scrimmage held there.

To get a surface that will hold up to it, you have to get a more durable surface, ie a harder surface, that means higher injury risk to the track athletes and supposedly slower times. Slower times means fewer athletes qualifying for the NCAA's.

Put in a good surface and it won't last as long and worse, the inside lanes will be less consistent and slower than the outside lanes because most of the wear and tear will be closer to the field.

Even if the surface issues didn't exist what are you really saving? The cost of a few bleachers for the track and the cost of lights. But you don't need the caliber of lighting for track that you need for football and most football stadium lighting is designed to throw the max candlepower between the sidelines, not on the track. I'd say rare is the school that needs more than a 10th of the seating they have for football for track.

On top of that you have other issues. Where are you going to throw the shot and discus or hammer? Those events can destroy a football field.

So what you end up with is a subpar football facility and a subpar track facility. If you are serious you put them in different venues. The only institutions that should seriously consider a combo facility are those that are located in urban or other areas with very high land prices or those that have become so land-locked by development around the school that they just don't have the land to spare.

Marcus Garvey
July 6th, 2005, 10:00 PM
The only institutions that should seriously consider a combo facility are those that are located in urban or other areas with very high land prices or those that have become so land-locked by development around the school that they just don't have the land to spare.

Which, I believe are the categories most schools with track/football facilities fall under. The 3rd would be money. If alumns and boosters don't pony up, then you can't have it both ways. :D

But 15 ft. ain't that far. Being "close up" on the action can be a problem too. I recall watching a Lehigh-Holy Cross game on TV back during HC's I-AA glory days. A player for one of the teams (I don't remember which one) got knocked into the wall at the base of the stands and was hurt. That never would have happened had the stands been back another 10-15 feet. Look at modern NFL stadia. The sideline stands are back about as far as any track stadium. This is too allow a regulation soccer field. The stands that generally suck in a track stadium are endzone stands. However, endzone stands are rare among I-AA stadia.

therealbigredrules
July 6th, 2005, 10:51 PM
At Western the we have a track. But the field is not in the center. It is pushed as close to the 17,000 seats as posible. I would bet that you are closer to the action at Smith Stadium (even with the track) than you are at many others that do not have a track. With that said, the word on the street is that the first phase of the $35M upgrade is to move the track. Late fall of 06.

Now I know many on the board not only hate the track but also hate the one side stadium. Soon both will no longer be an issue. However, I too have no issue with the track given how close to the action you are at Western. No question our Admin was thinking ahead 35+ years ago with the placement of the field and also the flexibility to expand to the other side when ready.

http://www.wkusports.com/images/smithstadium.jpg

http://www.kmea.org/SMBC/SMBC03Info/WKUback.jpg

arkstfan
July 7th, 2005, 08:53 AM
Is WKU taking the track out? Or will the stands on the opposite side just be WAAAY away from the field?

colgate13
July 7th, 2005, 09:28 AM
The stands that generally suck in a track stadium are endzone stands. However, endzone stands are rare among I-AA stadia.

Interesting point. My favorite place to sit in Andy Kerr is the end zone seats but they are between the end zone and the track, so they're right in on the action. Plus, as a former linebacker I like to watch the game from this angle as opposed to the sideline.

From all the places I've been too, Lehigh is the best place to watch a game IMO.

AgentOrange
July 7th, 2005, 10:10 AM
Yeah, I would figure that my main peeve for tracks in a football stadium would be that it eliminates the possibility of an effective end zone seating area.

Fortunately for us, we have the Couch Potatoes. Can't get much closer.

http://eteamz.active.com/bearkatsportsforum/images/Godfrey.jpg

Marcus Garvey
July 7th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Plus, as a former linebacker I like to watch the game from this angle as opposed to the sideline.

I hear 'ya. My dad's Eagles season tickets were in the endzone. For those of us who like to break down game-play like a coach, that's the best view.

I went to the Insight Bowl at Bank One Ballpark in Phoenix a few years ago. I thought I'd get endzone seats, bad idea. I don't recommend them in a baseball stadium. The slope was so shallow that you really couldn't get a good view of what was happening on the field. The upside was that I was wearing the only Pitt shirt in a sea of Oregon St. orange and Pitt won! :D

89Hen
July 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM
ArkStFan nailed it. If you've never been to Delaware, Montana, Princeton... stadiums where the front row is right above the players bench, you don't know what you're missing.

eaglefan452
July 7th, 2005, 10:58 AM
I think the track around the stadium looks kinda tacky, and makes it look like a high school stadium. Reminds me of football fields that double as baseball fields, nothing worse looking than a running back being tackled as he slides into second base. No disrepsect to those who do have a track around the field, just my opinion.

GannonFan
July 7th, 2005, 02:02 PM
In I-A, many teams have eliminated their running tracks from the football satdiums, but that's only to shoe-horn in more stands. The existing seating does not get any closer as a result. Texas, Texas A&M, Ohio St. and Penn St. are teams that come to mind. All of them have moved their tracks out of the stadiums.

Maybe I missed this, but when did Penn St have a track at Beaver Stadium???

Golden Eagle
July 7th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I don't mind our track, though I also wouldn't mind being about 15 or 20 feet closer to the field.

At least it gives the cheerleaders plenty of room.

GannonFan
July 7th, 2005, 02:28 PM
I don't mind our track, though I also wouldn't mind being about 15 or 20 feet closer to the field.

Nah, the cheerleaders are better when it's up close and personal!!

SoCon48
July 7th, 2005, 03:26 PM
It's not just cost, it involves the necessity of building another facility on an already crowded campus. The alternative is often to have to build another facility off campus, thus demoting a succesful track program to a second class status.

There is one particular I-AA school that SHOULD move the stands BACK so the fans can't reach the refs and players with the liquor bottles they throw.

Red Hawk
July 7th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Missouri eliminated their track but you still sit frustratingly far from the field. On the other hand, stadiums like those at Arkansas you're right up on the field and it makes a world of difference in feel. It's the same as sitting in Busch stadium v. Wrigley field.

Marcus Garvey
July 7th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Maybe I missed this, but when did Penn St have a track at Beaver Stadium???

They got rid of it in the mid 70's. It was still there when they moved the stadium to the edge of campus.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 7th, 2005, 06:14 PM
Interesting point. My favorite place to sit in Andy Kerr is the end zone seats but they are between the end zone and the track, so they're right in on the action. Plus, as a former linebacker I like to watch the game from this angle as opposed to the sideline.

I too enjoy watching football from the end zone angle. Much like watching hockey from the corners or behind the net. An interesting view of all the patterns being run.

UNH has always had a track around the gridiron, but when it was upgraded a few years ago, rows of seats were lost and the visitor's stands moved farther away from the field. In addition, the end zone bleachers were removed to make room for the pole vault and high jump pits. Today it is difficult to believe that Cowell Stadium once had a 15K capacity and the record attendance was 20K! (Lots of standing room between the bleachers on all four corners.)

One positive aspect of the track location was for the Cross Country team. They often had a home meet scheduled so that the finish would occur at half time of the football game. It gave the runners an opportunity to perform in front of crowds. It was pretty cool to hear thousands urging on a runner during his kick down the "home stretch"!!

galojay
July 8th, 2005, 08:41 AM
Is WKU taking the track out? Or will the stands on the opposite side just be WAAAY away from the field?

Track is coming out, being moved to another site. The field is being moved closer to the stands.

MR. CHICKEN
July 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
WHAT DO YOU WEENIES DO....WHEN THE ACTION IS INSIDE THE OTHERAH TWENTY......PLAY "RACK-O"?.......................WAS FORCED TA SIT IN DUH ZONE.......LONG B/4 DA AVIAN PONIED UP FO' SEASON PASSES......COULDN'T SEE SQUAT AT DUH OTHERAH END.......AN' MRS. BIRD WAS MO' INTERESTED IN FASHION & HAND-BAGS....DAN DUH FRIGGIN' PIGGY CONTEST!................DOY!

TxSt02
July 8th, 2005, 04:43 PM

I went to Panama City a couple years back and partied with some of your cheerleaders. They were very fun to say the least...

TxSt02
July 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM
If any of you have seen a game at Cal Poly you would know why you dont want a track around the field even their stadium wasnt thhe best. The place rocked it was so loud! The fans are right on top of the players.

th0m
July 8th, 2005, 05:45 PM
JMU's Bridgeforth Stadium still has a track around the field, although it is not being used by the track and field teams anymore, they've got a new facility on the other side of campus. On one endzone we built an Athletic Performance Center, as you can see in the pic below, so the next obvious step is to get rid of the obsolete track. Only downer is the field can't be lowered due to the watertable there.

http://www.jmusports.com/Facilities/images/bridgeforth.jpg

arkstfan
July 9th, 2005, 01:02 AM
Only downer is the field can't be lowered due to the watertable there.

My understanding is that North Texas has the same issue.

Kill'em
July 9th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Bush League!

Hammerhead
March 28th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I prefer being closer to the action. NDSU recyled the bleacher sections from our outdoor stadium to build a new track/soccer facility.

BTW, Dacotah field was kind of a high school stadium since it hosted every home game for the three high schools in Fargo. Each school even had its logo in each end zone.

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics16/0/XA/XATDDXZRZLWZVZJ.20040824200423.jpg

rokamortis
March 28th, 2007, 10:18 PM
How long did it take you to find this thread?

appfan2008
March 28th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I was gonna say the same thing damn this thing is old... but of course no one likes tracks around the football field

BearsCountry
March 29th, 2007, 12:19 AM
I wish we could rid of our track at Plaster as well. Put the track on another field so we can move soccer, track, and field hockey off our football field.

crunifan
March 29th, 2007, 12:20 AM
The track in the UNI-Dome is under the turf. So in the winter for Indoor Track and Field, they roll up the turf and store it until football season.

That way, fans are literally above the team's benches.

henfan
March 29th, 2007, 08:10 AM
A football field with a track around the field is a multi-purpose facility, not a football stadium.

89Hen
March 29th, 2007, 08:12 AM
How long did it take you to find this thread?
No kidding. Hammerhead, I know it's a little slow in the off-season but ressurecting threads from nearly two years ago. xeyebrowx :p xthumbsupx

MplsBison
March 29th, 2007, 09:06 AM
The track in the UNI-Dome is under the turf. So in the winter for Indoor Track and Field, they roll up the turf and store it until football season.

That way, fans are literally above the team's benches.

Are you going to get the fieldturf trays like Toronto has?

HiHiYikas
March 29th, 2007, 10:44 AM
The track at KBS doesn't bother me. App's runners had national titles before the football players did (not to mention an Olympic medal). Maybe they should move the football field away from their track. xsmiley_wix

When I was 5 or 6 years old, it was nice to land on rubber when I jumped out onto the field after games. I miss those days when everybody got to go out onto the field after games. Of course, I don't miss the pool-table green turf.

I have been on row #1 at Chattanooga each of the past 2 years, and it is nice to be that close to the players without a track being in the way.

I guess I could go either way when it comes to KBS.

SoCon48
March 29th, 2007, 10:57 AM
The track at KBS doesn't bother me. App's runners had national titles before the football players did (not to mention an Olympic medal). Maybe they should move the football field away from their track. xsmiley_wix

When I was 5 or 6 years old, it was nice to land on rubber when I jumped out onto the field after games. I miss those days when everybody got to go out onto the field after games. Of course, I don't miss the pool-table green turf.

I have been on row #1 at Chattanooga each of the past 2 years, and it is nice to be that close to the players without a track being in the way.

I guess I could go either way when it comes to KBS.

I agree. The track bothers me not in the least. It makes a good buffer from the field. I don't particularly like students being so close to the teams. If we can't make enough noise to reach the teams from a few more feet back, then heaven help us.

DFW HOYA
March 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM
A football field with a track around the field is a multi-purpose facility, not a football stadium.

Some of the great old stadiums have tracks--Franklin Field comes to mind.

Geogetown could sure use a track since it doesn't have one, but it won't fit inside the footprint.

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 01:45 PM
I think KBS would be greatly improved with out the track IMHO

carney2
March 29th, 2007, 01:52 PM

I don't despise them. Actually, I never gave it much thought one way or the other until they re-did Lafayette's Fisher @ Fisher. The running track was removed, the visitors' stands were torn down, the playing surface was moved closer to the home stands, and new visitors' stands were built. The difference is remarkable. The entire setting is more intimate. You are up close and personal. It is a much better football venue; a much better place to see a game.

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 01:54 PM
I don't despise them. Actually, I never gave it much thought one way or the other until they re-did Lafayette's Fisher @ Fisher. The running track was removed, the visitors' stands were torn down, the playing surface was moved closer to the home stands, and new visitors' stands were built. The difference is remarkable. The entire setting is more intimate. You are up close and personal. It is a much better football venue; a much better place to see a game.
xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx that is what i have been saying that app state should do...it would improve the place by ten foldxhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx xhurrayx

lizrdgizrd
March 29th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I hope that they'll take out the track at KBS when they begin to redo the visitor's side. They could move the field up to to the home stands and add a bunch of seats on the visitors side without having to hang over Stadium Dr. Oh, and have bathrooms. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
March 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Some of the great old stadiums have tracks--Franklin Field comes to mind.
But that is a great old stadium because of the tradition. Not because it's a great football stadium. xtwocentsx

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 02:06 PM
the best football stadiums do not have tracks around them... did you see how close to the field the fans were at montana during that semifinal game??? that was awesome!

Cobblestone
March 29th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I realize that tracks push the stands back some distance

That is enough reason for me.

ucdtim17
March 29th, 2007, 02:23 PM
This is what football stadiums should look like:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Notre-Dame-Stadium-Photograph-C10106575.jpeg

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/stadiums/michigan2.jpg

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/cal/graphics/memorial-pan-575.jpg

http://www.txchange.com/autzen.jpg

http://www.umt.edu/images/photolib/351_photo.jpg

not this:

http://www.uscaa.org/natls/2002/images/HornetStadium2(med).jpg

http://football.ballparks.com/NCAA/Pac10/Washington/interior.jpg

lizrdgizrd
March 29th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Don't forget:

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/south_carolina/clemson_memorial2.jpg

ucdtim17
March 29th, 2007, 03:04 PM
I'm partial to the clean 360 degree bowls (ND, Mich, Cal, etc). I hate those Big 12 stadiums (they seem to have a lot of them) that are bigger versions of a lot of FCS stadiums, with 2 or 3 giant stands parked next to a football field. The new Stanford stadium is beautiful though

http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/98026231-L.jpg

csuBUC06
March 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
it's ugly

phillyAPP
March 29th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Can you imagine how loud it would be if the crowd gets closer to the field!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is this a question? The track should be seperate !!

Franklin Field has THE PENN Relays and many other events to make it worth having together.

MplsBison
March 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
I'm partial to the clean 360 degree bowls (ND, Mich, Cal, etc). I hate those Big 12 stadiums (they seem to have a lot of them) that are bigger versions of a lot of FCS stadiums, with 2 or 3 giant stands parked next to a football field. The new Stanford stadium is beautiful though

http://john-reed.smugmug.com/photos/98026231-L.jpg

They really pack em in to see Stanford.

Tod
March 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM
IMHO, a track is not that bad. Not the best, but...

If you're looking for the perfect stadium, I don't like the bowled stadiums like Yale and Cal. At the 50, you might as well have a track! I do like the stadiums like Oregon and Montana.

But Clemson, I think, shows the best design. The slight bow not only provides a little more room, but places the fans at just a slightly better angle.

xtwocentsx

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I am not really a fan of Stanford's new stadium... almost too perfect for me and that crowd was ridiculous...

also clemson really does have one of the best stadiums in the country

appfan2008
March 29th, 2007, 11:45 PM
This is what football stadiums should look like:

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/images/stadiums/michigan2.jpg

app is going there!

ucdtim17
March 30th, 2007, 12:21 PM
They really pack em in to see Stanford.

They'll have no problem selling out every game when they're back to their traditional levels of mediocrity, which might be this year. It'll be tough to repeat last year

GaSouthern
March 30th, 2007, 03:19 PM
It looks high school.

xnodx

Marcus Garvey
March 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I stand by my eariler statement when I started this thread (nearly 2 years ago):

Unless you're going to pony up the money to get rid of the track, just enjoy the game while drinking a nice steaming cup of "shut the hell up!"

xlolx

appfan2008
March 30th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I stand by my eariler statement when I started this thread (nearly 2 years ago):

Unless you're going to pony up the money to get rid of the track, just enjoy the game while drinking a nice steaming cup of "shut the hell up!"

xlolx
isnt that what this site is all about?

so we can come on here and vent because we dont have the money to actually do anything about it

Marcus Garvey
March 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
isnt that what this site is all about?

so we can come on here and vent because we dont have the money to actually do anything about it

Exactly... and for me to vent about your venting because you don't have any money to do anything about it.... xconfusedx I got lost there.

McTailGator
April 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM
I realize that tracks push the stands back some distance, but it's not that much. Frankly, it's always made sense to me to put the track around the football field as it's a better a use of space, which allows more fields for other athletic teams. It's not like you're sitting in the back row of the 700 level of the Vet.

We like being RIGHT on top of the action, it improves the overall atmosphere in the stadium by quite a bit.

Interesting note,

All Texas Schools in the SLC have a Track as part of their stadiums.

All Louisiana Schools do NOT have tracks as part of their stadiums.

Not certain about Central Arkansas.

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM
go louisiana slc teams!

Za-KEE-uS
April 1st, 2007, 12:44 PM
We like being RIGHT on top of the action, it improves the overall atmosphere in the stadium by quite a bit.

Interesting note,

All Texas Schools in the SLC have a Track as part of their stadiums.

All Louisiana Schools do NOT have tracks as part of their stadiums.

Not certain about Central Arkansas.
http://www.ucafans.com/images/facilities/FootHome2B.jpg
No track there

appfan2008
April 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
http://www.ucafans.com/images/facilities/FootHome2B.jpg
No track there
that is actually a very pretty stadium...

question: do you fill it up at uca?

813Jag
April 1st, 2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/louisiana/baton_rouge_mumford.jpg

I don't mind the track the only places that are bad are in the corners. If you sit there and the game is on the far end of the field you can't tell where the endzone is. As you can see in the picture.

Kiss My Apps
April 1st, 2007, 03:16 PM
That is my biggest beef with tracks around stadiums. The absence of a curved sideline makes visibility limited in the lower level corners of KBS.

phyrbirdphan
April 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM
When it comes to tracks around football stadiums, I can't believe no one mentioned D-1 new-comer, Winston-Salem State U's home field,concrete worn Bowman-Gray Stadium. this former home of high schools & Wake Forest has a 1/4 mile asphault NASCAR track complete with guardrails and pit-road. They still have a summer demolition derby on the playing field which is grass.
Recently I drove by this historic landmark (WPA project in the 30's), and lo and behold they were constructing a new field house. Our government at work.

Za-KEE-uS
April 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
that is actually a very pretty stadium...

question: do you fill it up at uca?
I'm not from UCA, but I found this pic
http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-estescrowd.jpg

pantherclaw
April 3rd, 2007, 11:12 AM
It looks high school.

Agreed, it looks bush league.

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 01:36 PM
I'm not from UCA, but I found this pic
http://www.ucasports.com/gallery/msc-fb-estescrowd.jpg
well that aint bad then!

appfan2008
April 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM
wow i am not good with moving the pictures over too here actually I can not figure it out at all but on world stadiums dot com there is an awesome picture of the race track/ football field known as bowman-gray
http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/north_carolina/winston_salem_gray.shtml

GeauxColonels
April 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM
Yeah. I like being close to the action too:
http://www.colonelsports.com/images/guidrystadium02.jpg

It's much better than playing at a stadium like this:
http://www.strathayr.com.au/images/turf/side/StrathAyr%20Systems%20Installations/4_010726_tgormstad_LG.jpg