PDA

View Full Version : Governors Friendly Wager on Title Game

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I'm expecting Easley to look forward to the 'big clambake', though you never know, Romney could be in for some summer sausage and cheese... :)

The important aspects of the title game...

Governors place food bets on I-AA title game
Associated Press

RALEIGH, N.C. - Appalachian State University can help Gov. Easley throw a big clambake if it wins the N-C-A-A Division One-Double-A championship tomorrow night.

Easley and Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney have placed what's being called a "friendly wager" in the game between the Mountaineers and the University of Massachusetts.

If Appalachian State wins the game, not only would it be the second straight title for the school, but it would mean Easley would win a New England Lobster Clambake with all the trimmings.

A Massachusetts victory means Romney gets a box of Ashe County cheeses along with a basket of North Carolina treats including summer sausage, Blue Ridge Mountain dried fruit mix and some Cheerwine.

Easley's office issued a statement saying he's looking forward to the lobsters and clam chowder.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/local/16241021.htm

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
cheerwine?!! any App fan want to wager me for some montana goods? id love to hopefully garner some cheerwine.

texcap
December 14th, 2006, 08:13 PM
cheerwine?!! any App fan want to wager me for some montana goods? id love to hopefully garner some cheerwine.

Cheerwine is a soft drink that is similar to Dr. Pepper, although it is definitely not the same thing as Dr. Pepper.

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 08:42 PM
i knew what it was, i want some!!!

mistersykes
December 14th, 2006, 10:57 PM
i knew what it was, i want some!!!

They have cheerwine in Montana?! That's pretty cool. I love that stuff, and it came from good ol' NC.:thumbsup: But summer sausage and trail mix and stuff? I'm not too sure about those being the pride of our state.

blukeys
December 14th, 2006, 11:04 PM
Easley is being cheap. Romney's offer is 10 times better and much more expensive than the NC Offer. NC needs to add more to the pot to make this even reasonable. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Looks like the NC governor if getting the better end here...

hmm, lobster.....or cheese, nuts, and cheerwine :)

Lehigh Football Nation
December 14th, 2006, 11:22 PM
Now I'm rooting for UMass so we can see Mitt choke down some sausage and Cheerwine! (Are any of these things forbidden by the Mormon religion?)

mistersykes
December 14th, 2006, 11:24 PM
Easley is being cheap. Romney's offer is 10 times better and much more expensive than the NC Offer. NC needs to add more to the pot to make this even reasonable. :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Agreed! Easley, show some hospitality and offer some barbecue or callabash seafood. Maybe some fancy tobaccy.xlolx

Maroon&White
December 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Ken Toong, Director of UMass Dining Services, has offered a wager to the ASU dining services. He likes to do this for different games. He won last week vs. Montana, but wasn't sure what they would be sending over.

This time I offered a friendly wager to Mark LoParco, director of dining services for Montana. With the Minutemen win Mark will send us some “Montana delicacies”; plus, he will wear a UMass logo sweat shirt during the national food services conference. I do not know what Mark will send from Montana, I think it will be some sort of natural Angus beef, we are not expecting Buffalo or elk meat.

To keep up a tradition, I will offer a friendly wager to Ron Dubberly, the food services director at Appalachian State University. I am confident that we will win and we will have a great feast compliments of the schools that were defeated by UMass Minutemen.

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 11:57 PM
They have cheerwine in Montana?! That's pretty cool. I love that stuff, and it came from good ol' NC.:thumbsup: But summer sausage and trail mix and stuff? I'm not too sure about those being the pride of our state.

we dont actually have it here in montana, but ive gone down to asheville the past few summers and some of the locals introduced it to me. delish!

mistersykes
December 14th, 2006, 11:59 PM
we dont actually have it here in montana, but ive gone down to asheville the past few summers and some of the locals introduced it to me. delish!

Oh yeah, I love Asheville. Did you like it there? I hope they showed you a good time.

mainejeff
December 15th, 2006, 12:00 AM
New England states always get the raw end of these deals......We always have to dole out lobsters and seafood while in return we get cheese, sausage, and other crap.

Peems
December 15th, 2006, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah, I love Asheville. Did you like it there? I hope they showed you a good time.

they sure did, its a wonderful place, thats why i go back:hurray:

AndrewFU21
December 15th, 2006, 12:03 AM
Sun Drop would have been a much better choice for a local soft drink. And there definitely should have been some good North Carolina barbeque in that wager. I prefer the Eastern style, vinegar based variety, but given ASU's location I guess they would have to go with the Western style, tomato based 'que.

mistersykes
December 15th, 2006, 12:08 AM
they sure did, its a wonderful place, thats why i go back:hurray:

Well awesome! I'd sure love to visit Montana, if only it wasn't so expensive to fly over there. That and I have no idea where to go, what to do, etc besides visit Missoula, of course.

As far as Sun Drop, its a better local choice, but not as original/good of a beverage.

ccd494
December 15th, 2006, 09:53 AM
New England states always get the raw end of these deals......We always have to dole out lobsters and seafood while in return we get cheese, sausage, and other crap.

Well, there was the '98 national title game vs. UNH in hockey where the Maine governor tried to make the N.H. end of the wager the removal of that ridiculous toll on I-95 to pass through 6 miles of New Hampshire.

Although at that point, Portsmouth Naval Shipyard was still being contested, could have just bet that. :)

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Cheerwine is a soft drink that is similar to Dr. Pepper, although it is definitely not the same thing as Dr. Pepper.
Similar to Dr. Pepper? Dr. Perky is similar to Dr. Pepper. Dr. Thunder is similar to Dr. Pepper. Mr. Pibb is similar to Dr. Pepper. Cheerwine is like cherry heaven. xidiotx

Plus, we should definitely pony up some BBQ. Aren't Mormons supposed to eschew soft drinks?

Col Hogan
December 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Similar to Dr. Pepper? Dr. Perky is similar to Dr. Pepper. Dr. Thunder is similar to Dr. Pepper. Mr. Pibb is similar to Dr. Pepper. Cheerwine is like cherry heaven. xidiotx

Plus, we should definitely pony up some BBQ. Aren't Mormons supposed to eschew soft drinks?
If it's caffine based, yes...but I agree you need to throw some 'que in the mix

Griswold
December 15th, 2006, 10:22 AM

My guess that Romney had to counter offer the first wager and that's when Easley threw in the Cheerwine! xprost2x

Damn, if ASU wins (sorry when ASU wins :smiley_wi ) I want to be apart of that feast!

Easley, step up... where's the pig pickin'?

Black and Gold Express
December 15th, 2006, 10:23 AM
Cheerwine != Dr. Pepper. It's not even on the same scale. Cheerwine is the Nectar of the Gods.

And I agree as well, we should have included barbecue, unless there's some kind of aversion to pork by the Mass. governor we don't know about.

Ronbo
December 15th, 2006, 10:39 AM
If Appalachian State wins the game, not only would it be the second straight title for the school, but it would mean Easley would win a New England Lobster Clambake with all the trimmings.

A Massachusetts victory means Romney gets a box of Ashe County cheeses along with a basket of North Carolina treats including summer sausage, Blue Ridge Mountain dried fruit mix and some Cheerwine.

No white lightning?

mistersykes
December 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM
No white lightning?

The coffee drink?

ButlerGSU
December 15th, 2006, 11:35 AM

I bet the trail mix is great, the summer sausage I'm not so sure of...

lizrdgizrd
December 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
No white lightning?
Somehow I think the Governors want to stick to strictly legal beverages. :smiley_wi

Husky Alum
December 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM
I'm surprised that Mitt Romney knows where Amherst is. Given the lack of attention he gives ZooMass, I figured he'd pass on it.

And why should he give up a clambake? ZooMass is landlocked in Amherst.

He should offer up some of the Pioneer Valley's finest delicacies... um, but are there any besides Friendly's Ice Cream and moonshine from the hills???

Col Hogan
December 15th, 2006, 01:58 PM
I'm surprised that Mitt Romney knows where Amherst is. Given the lack of attention he gives ZooMass, I figured he'd pass on it.

And why should he give up a clambake? ZooMass is landlocked in Amherst.

He should offer up some of the Pioneer Valley's finest delicacies... um, but are there any besides Friendly's Ice Cream and moonshine from the hills???

How about some Hadley onions and shade tobacco?

mcveyrl
December 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM
It's like Easley forgot he lived in North Carolina!!:eek: Where's the BBQ!?!?!?:eek:

The only thing remotely regional is the Cheerwine!! Otherwise, Romney's just as well off going to the Hickory Farms display at his local mall. I would much rather have a variety of local drinks including:

Cheerwine
Sun Drop
and let's not forget...
Dr. Enuf!!:nod: :nod:

I can't believe BBQ's not involved. :nonono2: :nonono2:

BTW, Asheville's great!! If you're into wine, you gotta go to the Biltmore vineyard...get a DD if you're doing the wine tasting though!!:thumbsup: