PDA

View Full Version : Regents Approve - South Dakota to Div I

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:14 PM
I think we all expected this to happen, but I'm glad the Board of Regents gave an overwhelming 9-0 vote to back the Coyotes move to Div I. Best of luck to them in their move up.

USD Receives Permission To Move Athletic Programs To Division I
12/14/2006

VERMILLION, S.D. (Dec. 14, 2006) — The South Dakota Board of Regents (SDBoR) voted unanimously in support of The University of South Dakota’s request to reclassify its athletic programs to National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Championship Subdivision for football and Division I for all other sports.

The 9-0 vote by the SDBoR allows the University to enter an exploratory year in 2007-08. The exploratory year is a transition year allowing the University to address primary issues including: alumni and fan support, conference affiliation and funding.

“Everyone at the University understands that there will be challenges ahead. We believe we owe it to our students, our alumni and the University community to ensure that our programs remain competitive,” said USD President James W. Abbott. “The University of South Dakota, the state’s flagship institution founded in 1862, values its role as the state’s comprehensive liberal arts institution. This approval by the South Dakota Board of Regents allows The U to compete with institutions that share our commitment to academics and have a similar mission.”

Approval also permits USD to further solidify its financial model, including targeting and pursuing additional fundraising opportunities, developing a pro forma, which is a projected statement of revenues and expenses, for the athletic budget and demonstrating its commitment to Division I through seeking conference affiliation.

http://www.usdcoyotes.com/sports/news/release.asp?release_id=3512

dbackjon
December 14th, 2006, 07:17 PM
Welcome Coyotes!!

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:25 PM
This is just another step forward in the move to expand the FCS 'Western World'. I hope we get a few other Div II schools from the NCC to make the move on up. It'd be great if the GWFC could stablize, even if it is another 5-7 years before they are able to get an auto-bid.

Any chance St.Mary's (CA) reinstates football?

89rabbit
December 14th, 2006, 07:54 PM
Here is the story from the Sioux Falls Argus Leader:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/NEWS03/61214021

Regents formally sign off on USD plan for Division I sports

By Denise Ross
For the Argus Leader
PUBLISHED: December 14, 2006

The South Dakota Board of Regents minutes ago unanimously approved the University of South Dakota's plan to move to Division I sports.

The regents said it was an easy decision, in large part because South Dakota State University, which has already made the move, has given USD a blueprint for the move.

"Compared to what SDSU went through, this was a cakewalk," regent Randy Morris said today. . . . (read more)

As far as the rest of the NCC only Minnesota State-Mankato and Minnesota-Dulth are left to declare (UNO is staying D-II and looking to the MIAA, Augustana and St. Cloud State are also staying D-II and are applying to the NSIC). Most feel that MSU-Mankato and UM-Dulth will also stay D-II, so I think USD will be the last of the NCC schools to move to D-I.

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:56 PM
As far as the rest of the NCC only Minnesota State-Mankato and Minnesota-Dulth are left to declare (UNO is staying D-II and looking to the MIAA, Augustana and St. Cloud State are also staying D-II and are applying to the NSIC). Most feel that MSU-Mankato and UM-Dulth will also stay D-II, so I think USD will be the last of the NCC schools to move to D-I.

That's a shame. Would love if we had a few more schools move up. I really though UNO would be likely to move up to Div I athletics...

Now with the Dakota schools out of the way, I guess it's a waiting game to see which school(s) will be next to explore and move into Div I from the sub-divisions. Seems we're at a point when there could be a few non-FB schools joining the football school ranks...

GOKATS
December 14th, 2006, 08:12 PM
Congrats and welcome aboard to USD.:beerchug:

MplsBison
December 14th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Duluth will stay DII. Mankato probably will too.

But Mankato does have a nice bball facility and could probably make it DI without football.

Here's their arena:

http://www.msumavericks.com/images1/Wide-Angle-Arena.jpg

They have a separate hockey arena for their WCHA teams.

ngineer
December 14th, 2006, 08:40 PM
Onward and upward! Congrats.:thumbsup:

PantherRob82
December 15th, 2006, 03:35 PM
Mankato's B-ball arena is nice.

Congrats to the Coyotes. Hope to do a home-home series soon.

ucdtim17
December 15th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Any chance St.Mary's (CA) reinstates football?

nope

aggie6thman
December 15th, 2006, 05:37 PM
Welcome Coyotes!!

Welcome to the Great West Football Conference!:rotateh:

RabidRabbit
December 16th, 2006, 12:22 PM
Welcome to the Great West Football Conference!:rotateh:

I look forward to having the Coyotes for GWFC action in the not distant future. :thumbsup: However, I'm nervous about having TWO non-DI games, in conference in '08. We should try to avoid having a repeat "Woffed" that Cal Poly suffered in '04. '09 and beyond, Bring on da Sioux, and Coyotes too! :hurray: :hurray:

This assumes that Gateway hasn't snatched up NDSU/SDSU by then.