PDA

View Full Version : Moore Awarded with Robinson Award

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Deserving honor for a coach who has found himself in the Division I title game for the second year in a row. Congrats coach Moore!

Chattanooga, TN (Sports Network) - Appalachian State head coach Jerry Moore was named the 20th winner of the Eddie Robinson Award tonight at the Division I-AA College Football Awards held in Chattanooga, TN on the eve of the Division I Football Championship title game. The Robinson Award is presented annually to the top head coach in I-AA/FCS football.

The Mountaineers posted a 10-1 regular season record and held the No. 1 ranking in The Sports Network top 25 throughout most of the season, and also completed a perfect 7-0 mark in the Southern Conference. The 10-1 regular season record was Moore’s second-best mark at Appalachian State, and was his best result since an undefeated 1995 campaign. The defending national champion Mountaineers earned the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Division I Football Championship, and have advanced to Friday’s national championship game against Massachusetts.

Appalachian State opened the season at No. 1 in The Sports Network top 25, and stayed that way even after a 23-10 loss at I-A North Carolina State to open the season. A huge matchup between the last two national champions followed, and the Mountaineers were up to the task in a 21-10 home victory over James Madison. From that point, the Mountaineers won their final nine games and dominated most of the way. They hit their toughest stretch of the year in October with three consecutive games against conference heavyweights Wofford, Georgia Southern and Furman, and passed all the tests with flying colors. They used a strong defensive effort to hold off Wofford, 14-7, and rallied in the fourth quarter for a 27-20 victory in double overtime that marked their first win at Georgia Southern since 1996. The Mountaineers turned the game against rival Furman into a rout with a 26-0 second-half advantage in a 40-7 victory.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/2006robinson_moore.htm

ngineer
December 14th, 2006, 08:39 PM
No question about him deserving the award. Getting back to the Big Show second year in a row while having to replace some key players impressive. Other strong candidate was the HC at Tennessee-Martin IMO.:nod:

Hammersmith
December 14th, 2006, 09:09 PM
Jerry Moore, ASU: 20 First Place Votes; 256 Total Points
Craig Bohl, NDSU: 29 First Place Votes; 255 Total Points

Shoot, missed it by that much. :bawling: :bawling: :smiley_wi :rotateh:

Congrats, Coach Moore.

ngineer
December 14th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Jerry Moore, ASU: 20 First Place Votes; 256 Total Points
Craig Bohl, NDSU: 29 First Place Votes; 255 Total Points

Shoot, missed it by that much. :bawling: :bawling: :smiley_wi :rotateh:

Congrats, Coach Moore.

Forgot about your great show this year. Bohl also very deserving. Sorry about the oversight, above.

appfan2008
December 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
That is awesome for Moore

slostang
December 14th, 2006, 09:18 PM
:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

MACHIAVELLI
December 14th, 2006, 10:35 PM
Does the SN have a member of the Eddie G. Robinson family to take part in the presentation?

Mr. C
December 15th, 2006, 01:27 AM
By David Coulson
Special to the News-Topic

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn.—Appalachian State coach Jerry Moore reminisced on Thursday night about a week he spent coaching with Eddie Robinson at the 1986 Blue-Gray All-Star Game.
“I got to know him as a man and a person,” Moore said. “I learned a lot from him in that one week. I count it as a privilege to have my name on this trophy.”
Those thoughts came flooding back to the veteran Mountaineer coach when he was announced as the winner of the prestigious Eddie Robinson Award at the 20th annual Sports Network awards dinner.
New Hampshire quarterback Ricky Santos was named the Walter Payton Award winner and Cal Poly linebacker Kyle Shotwell was picked as the Buck Buchanan Award honoree.
Moore, in his 18th year as the Appalachian State coach, won the Robinson Award in the closest balloting in history. He won by one vote over Craig Bohl of North Dakota State, 256-255.
Bohl had more first-place votes than Moore, 29-20, but Moore had more second (18-14), third (18-7) and fourth-place votes (14-11). Moore also received two fifth-place votes, while Bohl had 11.
UMass coach Don Brown, whose Minutemen team will face Moore’s Appalachian State squad on Friday night at 8 p.m. at Finley Stadium, was third with 193 points.
Moore, who was named the American Football Coaches Association I-AA coach of the year in 2005 and is one of five finalists for that award this season, gave credit to his coaching staff, players, family and the university for the award.
“It obviously is a team thing,” Moore said. “It is a tribute to anybody that has ever been involved with the program.”
Moore, who received a call of encouragement from his junior high school football coach on Thursday afternoon, knew early on what he wanted to do.”
“I’ve wanted to be a football coach since I was a sophomore in high school,” Moore said. “You remember how many lives, how many opportunities you’ve had to touch people’s lives.”
Santos, who was the runner-up for the 2005 Payton Award by just five points to Eastern Washington quarterback Erik Meyer, won the 2006 award by 12 points over Northern Arizona quarterback Jason Murrietta. Running back Arkee Whitlock of Southern Illinois was third, while Appalachian State runner Kevin Richardson placed 12th.
Shotwell became the third consecutive winner of the Buchanan Award from Cal Poly, following in the shoes of linebacker Jordan Beck and defensive end Chris Gocong. Shotwell won by 17 points over Akeem Jordan of James Madison (275-258), with Appalachian State defensive end Marques Murrell third with 148 points.
Safety Jeremy Wiggins of ASU also cracked the top 10, placing ninth with 83 points.

Griswold
December 15th, 2006, 07:39 AM
I can't begin to tell you how happy I am for Coach Moore especially after last year's national championship game. He has done so much for our not only our football program but our university. I'm truly grateful to have someone like Coach Moore leading our program for so many years and it's nice to see him be awarded!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

spelunker64
December 15th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Congrats Coach Moore and Coach Bohl!

NoDak 4 Ever
December 15th, 2006, 09:44 AM
If just one of those stooges who voted for Harbaugh would have voted for Bohl he would have won. I guess you can get coach of the year awards for guiding your team through a cake walk.:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

eaglesrthe1
December 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM
I'd have given the nod to the NDSU coach. Another cost of not being playoff eligible. I don't vote though, so congrats to Moore.

Griswold
December 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM
I wonder how many voters went with Coach Moore because of the difficult decision he made to start a true freshman at QB 3 weeks into the season. Especially since at time they were ranked #1 and your starter won a huge game for you verse Furman last year in the playoffs and started the National Championship game. That took some big ones and thankfully it paid off.

There's no questions that Coach Bohl was also very much deserving of the award. :hurray:

Walkon79
December 15th, 2006, 02:14 PM
The right choice. He's a class act.