PDA

View Full Version : The Citadel Names New Head Coach

ElCid
January 19th, 2016, 08:46 PM
After getting kicked in the gut by the departure of Mike Houston, it looks like OC Brent Thompson got the nod. One never knows how it will work, but keeping some stability and hiring from within was probably the best move at this point. It looks like the 2 top candidates were the OC and DC Maurice Drayton. Both were good candidates and hopefully we keep the DC as well as we stepped up this year with some solid play on D. He will be a head coach one day as well.

I am cautiously optimistic and I don't think we will miss a beat.

News story now posted:

http://citadelsports.com/news/2016/1/19/FB_0119162832.aspx?path=football

Go...gate
January 19th, 2016, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a good hire.

BigHouseClosedEnd
January 19th, 2016, 09:10 PM
Damn. The Citadel AD doesn't mess around. The fart smells in Houston's desk chair hadn't even disapated before Thompson sat down in it.

IBleedYellow
January 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM
That was quick!

Glad to hear it! Hopefully he can keep the ship rolling!

BisonFan02
January 19th, 2016, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I don't think they lose a beat....but that's just me.

IBleedYellow
January 19th, 2016, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I don't think they lose a beat....but that's just me.

What does a Co-Champ know? Honestly. xthumbsupx

RootinFerDukes
January 19th, 2016, 09:15 PM
This makes me happy to see them make a quick hiring decision. Good luck citadel.

BisonFan02
January 19th, 2016, 09:16 PM
What does a Co-Champ know? Honestly. xthumbsupx

Probably nothing. Your mileage may vary... xlolx

ngineer
January 19th, 2016, 11:14 PM
Good move. El Cid seemed to have a very good defense this year. How long can you keep your DC will be important.

ursus arctos horribilis
January 19th, 2016, 11:31 PM
You gotta love the quick, decisive action. Hope this works out well for you guys.

32counter
January 20th, 2016, 07:01 AM
Triple option will be kept alive and well in Charleston.Works perfectly with undersized but stout linemen and close-to-the-ground durable runners.Loved that you all smacked the SEC Gamecocks.Spurrier foresaw that loss and decided to exit stage left early with some" awh shucks"nonsense.

CID1990
January 20th, 2016, 10:12 AM
We are in good shape. Houston was a heck of a coach, but the brains behind our offense and defense were Brent and Maurice. Really hoping Maurice stays- our defense was downright mean and ornery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonFan02
January 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM
We are in good shape. Houston was a heck of a coach, but the brains behind our offense and defense were Brent and Maurice. Really hoping Maurice stays- our defense was downright mean and ornery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does Houston have a staff to hire at JMU or is he inheriting guys from the previous staff there?

32counter
January 20th, 2016, 10:58 AM
Per Football Scoop-New head coach Brent Thompson will get a 5-year deal worth $175,000 annually with yearly raises worked in according to Jeff Hartsell, who adds that defensive coordinator Maurice Drayton will receive a raise as well.Thompson indicated that Maurice will be staying at The Citadel.JMU was interested in Drayton.

BluBengal07
January 20th, 2016, 12:36 PM
keep feeding Maurice well. Folks are waiting for him to look/glimpse their way.

blueballs
January 20th, 2016, 12:37 PM
So does the new coach have to walk in the gutter his first year??? And do they call him "Coach Knob???"

On a serious note, this is what happens at the lower levels of football (all the way up to the lower P5's) when you win. You're better off winning 8+ games a year and hiring a new coach every 4-5 years than what you had for 20+ years after Taffe got run off.

catamount man
January 22nd, 2016, 09:07 AM
Congrats on the good hire from within. I was expecting Drayton or Everette Sands. See you guys in Cullowhee October 1st. GO CATS!!!

PaladinFan
January 22nd, 2016, 12:35 PM
So does the new coach have to walk in the gutter his first year??? And do they call him "Coach Knob???"

On a serious note, this is what happens at the lower levels of football (all the way up to the lower P5's) when you win. You're better off winning 8+ games a year and hiring a new coach every 4-5 years than what you had for 20+ years after Taffe got run off.

For Citadel, it wasn't so much that they won, it was how quickly they turned that ship around.

It also sort of indicated how ridiculous FCS polling is. It took the Citadel months to break into the top 25. Took some of the MVFC teams months to fall out of it. The Citadel was clearly a top 25 team from week one until the post season.

centennial
January 22nd, 2016, 01:02 PM
For Citadel, it wasn't so much that they won, it was how quickly they turned that ship around.

It also sort of indicated how ridiculous FCS polling is. It took the Citadel months to break into the top 25. Took some of the MVFC teams months to fall out of it. The Citadel was clearly a top 25 team from week one until the post season.
It's the OOC records vs the FCS. SIU, Indiana State would seriously compete to win a few conferences but they didn't even make the playoffs. The MVFC is a strong outside of Missouri State.

jsnow84
January 23rd, 2016, 09:41 PM
Citadel is only paying $175K to their HC? Pretty cheap for a school with so many prestigious/rich alums.

walliver
January 25th, 2016, 01:17 PM

After 4 weeks, the Citadel had a win over a bad PFL team (Davidson), and two losses (GSU and CSU), and the only jewel of any value was a win over WCU - that won't get you many top 25 votes.

Towards the end of the year, both the Citadel and Chatty were significantly under-ranked.