PDA

View Full Version : Title Game: Photo Gallery

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I have a gallery up from this afternoon with all the prep for the big game.

Of interest to many ASU fans, I went and stood at the top of the endzone temp bleachers and took pics of what the view looks like.

I also went and took pics of what the SRO plaza looks like.

There are also just some general photos, including the big set-ups Coca-Cola is doing (all kind of games...baseball, basketball, etc).

The stadium looks as good as I have ever seen it...literally even better than opening days.

http://www.mocfans.com/images/stadium2006/index.html

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM
nice pics!

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 06:36 PM
thanks...I hate that the field lines looks so crappy...I shot it at 8.0mp (probably more than I needed for these shots)...and when I shrunk them down to upload, it kinda killed the clarity.

TxSt02
December 14th, 2006, 07:46 PM
nice pics...

cant stand the football player in the logo...

th0m
December 14th, 2006, 08:03 PM
thanks...I hate that the field lines looks so crappy...I shot it at 8.0mp (probably more than I needed for these shots)...and when I shrunk them down to upload, it kinda killed the clarity.

Probably has to do with the compression and the program you used. If you use Photoshop or even something free as Picasa, those lines will not be as jagged.

Stadium looks great!

AppIAA
December 14th, 2006, 08:05 PM
nice pics.. but i saw one problem.. you didnt have any of App practicing!! is this because they dont have to practice in order to beat the minute men ;)..

j/k

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Probably has to do with the compression and the program you used. If you use Photoshop or even something free as Picasa, those lines will not be as jagged.

Stadium looks great!

yeah, I downloaded them straight from my Rebel right into the photo gallery program. I was trying to get them up quick or I would have cut the size down through photoshop first.

appfan2008
December 14th, 2006, 08:43 PM
Awesome pics... If I wasnt already looking so forward to the game and drive up there tomorrow I sure am now

JaxSinfonian
December 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM
c'mocs,

I've wondered since I was up for the JSU-UC game ... what's the tall structure west of the stadium? It doesn't seem to be in the best of shape. Is it part of the stadium complex? Are there plans to renovate it for anything?

MrEvents
December 14th, 2006, 08:59 PM
c'mocs,

I've wondered since I was up for the JSU-UC game ... what's the tall structure west of the stadium? It doesn't seem to be in the best of shape. Is it part of the stadium complex? Are there plans to renovate it for anything?

That is an old Power Plant that generated power for the foundry that is now the First Tennessee Pavilion. Here is my understanding which may not be entirely correct. It has been the subject of controversy over the years as the previous owner bought it, paid his taxes on the appraised value, then the city offered him much less when they tried to buy it. The city threatened eminent domain but the owner prevailed in a court case. Then the city refused to buy it at the appraised price so the owner sat on it, perhaps to prove a point. Within the last year or two, there was a teenager that fell thru three floors while in the building and is now paralyzed from the neck down. I believe it has a new owner who hopes to develop it but the cement walls are so thick that it would take extra effort to tear it down. So it sits but we all wish it would go away.

MrEvents

LeopardFan04
December 14th, 2006, 09:10 PM
cool pictures...

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Mr Events pretty much nailed it on the old power building. Most all the other buildings have slowly been renovated around it...but it has been locked up in lawsuits for years...some of the exterior walls are nearly three feet thick. A wrecking ball would just bounce off of it.

Hopefully in the next year or two the last major eyesore will be gone. A two story sports bar looking over the stadium would be very cool...some condos on the top two floors...the building has some incredible views (from all sides) of the city, the river, the mountains, the stadium.

Great photo gallery of the old building...it is so run down...but it also has intrinsic historical value to Chattanooga...but one way or another, something needs to be done with it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cherie_priest/sets/312793/

igo4uni
December 14th, 2006, 09:29 PM
A two story sports bar looking over the stadium would be very cool

Now that would be cool!

th0m
December 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM
That building seems to have so much potential, would be a shame it it were knocked down. But I agree it can't keep sitting there in its current state.

chattanoogamocs
December 14th, 2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, the city appraised it at about $500K...the guy paid taxes on it for years at that rate...then they offered him about $80K for it (saying that was all it was worth)...when he balked, they tried to swipe it through eminent domain (frickin' government!).

There is a fence around it and no trespassing signs all over it, but it is still pretty easy to get in to (obviously, as many pics have been taken of it)...some kids broken in and one of them fell through a hole down three stories, making him a quadriplegic...they sued the owner. I believe the suit against the owner was thrown out (I mean, I feel bad for the kid, but he was still trespassing) but is now being appealed.

What make the story even more sad (though unrelated)...this same family lost their daughter in a car wreck less than a year after their son was paralyzed.

Sorry, didn't mean to "bring it down" with such a sad story.

Some of the best overhead shots of the stadium have all been taken from the top of that building (tomorrow night would be a great time for a photographer to go up there and take pics of an SRO event!)

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 15th, 2006, 01:17 AM
Great photos. Can't wait to see the overflow crowd at 8pm! Great showcase for 1-AA/FCS. Get some photos with the stadium full, too!

bamamountaineer1013
December 15th, 2006, 01:31 AM
great pics, i was pumped up before now i don't even wanna sleep.

p.s. stadium looks better than last year

chattanoogamocs
December 15th, 2006, 01:41 AM
Great photos. Can't wait to see the overflow crowd at 8pm! Great showcase for 1-AA/FCS. Get some photos with the stadium full, too!

no doubt! will do.

Tribe4SF
December 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks, C'Mocs! You guys should be rightfully proud. Stadium looks great.

henfan
December 15th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Chattanooga should be proud of that stadium and the renovations they've done. Is there really any question that the title game should be held anywhere but here? :thumbsup:

JMU_MRD'03-'07
December 15th, 2006, 10:16 AM
Are they still using that giant warehouse like thingy for a pre-game pep rally?? I LOVED THAT! It was so loud and a great way to meet fans from both teams before the game.

JaxSinfonian
December 15th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Thanks, c'mocs & MrEvents for the info. The stadium area appears to be a bit removed from some of the other cool development going on downtown. The power plant could serve as the centerpiece for something new in that neighborhood. Sports bar/restaurant below, condos above and in the areas around, perhaps some retail as well. If the title game continues to draw well and the Mocs can get things turned around it could all coincide with stadium expansion. Nothing gets the interest of real estate types like cranes and work crews.