PDA

View Full Version : Payton Award

UNHWildCats
December 13th, 2006, 11:26 PM
That will be presented Thursday evening? IS it being broadcast anywhere?

UNHWildCats
December 14th, 2006, 10:39 AM
Anyone? Ralph? Mr C?

TexasTerror
December 14th, 2006, 11:20 AM
If I recall...

Ralph did a special show the Thursday before the Championship Game last year live from Chattanooga...

DinoDex200
December 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Speaking of which...do they not narrow the Buchanan down to the 3 Finalists? I'd kind of like to know who is in the driver's seat.

BrevardMountaineer03
December 14th, 2006, 03:49 PM
Speaking of which...do they not narrow the Buchanan down to the 3 Finalists? I'd kind of like to know who is in the driver's seat.

Ditto...I think Murrell should have a great shot at that!

appfan2008
December 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
I would love to see Murrell win that

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 07:10 PM
who got 2nd and third?

YoUDeeMan
December 14th, 2006, 07:13 PM
number 2 takes it home...done and done

Congrats to Santos! :hurray: :thumbsup:

jennifer03878
December 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
Congrats Ricky!!!! All of UNH is very proud of you... here's hoping he sticks around for 1 more year and another chance at the title!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

Peems
December 14th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Congrats Ricky!!!! All of UNH is very proud of you... here's hoping he sticks around for 1 more year and another chance at the title!!!

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

i dont think ricky is going anywhere this year.

However, now how dumb does the AP look for not having the payton winner on ANY of their All American lists?

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM

Where would he go?

jennifer03878
December 14th, 2006, 07:45 PM
Where would he go?

He has just as good of a chance to go pro as any one else in this league!!!!

UNH 40
December 14th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Congats to Ricky!!! He has put this program on his shoulders for three years leading us to a 30 and 9 record. Throwing for over 10,100 yds, and 99 TD's. And most importantly putting UNH back on the college football map, and raising the level of play to unpresidented heights. The best part about him is that he is a better man than he is a football player. I know his mom and dad are extremely proud, and so are his current and former teammates. :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow:

MR. CHICKEN
December 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Santos is the rock of the UNH team... great leader and obviously a great player....He was an AP All-American...??

HE WAS LEFT OFF..O' DUH....ASSOCIATED PRESS...I-AA ALL-AMERICAN TEAM:

FIRST TEAM..........THIGPEN...........COASTAL CAROLINA
SECOND TEAM.......MURRIETTA.......NORFFERN ARIZONA
THIRD TEAM..........JOHNSON.........SAN DIEGO

BDKJMU
December 14th, 2006, 11:07 PM
HE WAS LEFT OFF..O' DUH....ASSOCIATED PRESS...I-AA ALL-AMERICAN TEAM:

FIRST TEAM..........THIGPEN...........COASTAL CAROLINA
SECOND TEAM.......MURRIETTA.......NORFFERN ARIZONA
THIRD TEAM..........JOHNSON.........SAN DIEGO

The AP All American team was a joke. Left santos completely off, and had the top 2 Buchanon vote getters, Shotwell and Jordan, on the 2nd team. Walter Camp and American Football Coaches Assoc All American teams (only a 1st team) are more legit. Does the Sports Network do an ALL American team?

smallcollegefbfan
December 14th, 2006, 11:20 PM
He has just as good of a chance to go pro as any one else in this league!!!!

Better than LeZotte? I think he is good but I doubt he would go higher than the 5th or 6th round. He won't leave. Of course I think his numbers might be down next year unless he can find 2-3 players to pick up slack from Ball leaving.

What happened to Jeff Pammer this year? I thought he would have a better year than he did.

CoastalFan2005
December 14th, 2006, 11:31 PM
Congats to Ricky!!! He has put this program on his shoulders for three years leading us to a 30 and 9 record. Throwing for over 10,100 yds, and 99 TD's. And most importantly putting UNH back on the college football map, and raising the level of play to unpresidented heights. The best part about him is that he is a better man than he is a football player. I know his mom and dad are extremely proud, and so are his current and former teammates. :bow: :bow: :bow: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Not that I'm disagreeing with Santos winning the award...but I thought the award was supposed to be for the player's performance during the season for which it was awarded? Not for career achievement? :confused:

VT Wildcat Fan53
December 14th, 2006, 11:53 PM
Congratulations, Ricky! You are the most exciting player in 1-AA/FCS and you richly deserve this award! UNH Nation is universally proud of all you have done! Thank you and David Ball (#5 finisher in WP) for putting UNH at the very top of the class in the nation over the last 3 years. Continued success to you & your teammates! Can't wait to enjoy your magic in 2007!
:hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup: :hurray: :thumbsup:

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 01:35 AM
Not that I'm disagreeing with Santos winning the award...but I thought the award was supposed to be for the player's performance during the season for which it was awarded? Not for career achievement? :confused:

Nothing wrong with a fan taking this moment to reflect on and celebrate Santos' career achievements as well.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 01:47 AM
Nothing wrong with a fan taking this moment to reflect on and celebrate Santos' career achievements as well.

Don't recall saying there was anything wrong with that. xcoffeex :)

UNH 40
December 15th, 2006, 07:27 AM

Santos put up great numbers this year. 2,600 passing yds, 26 tds and 12 rushing TD's. He put up these numbers against the best of the best, without him this team does not make the playoffs. To be honest with you this should be a repeat for him, he should have won it last year as well.

WSBE
December 15th, 2006, 08:35 AM
Santos put up great numbers this year. 2,600 passing yds, 26 tds and 12 rushing TD's. He put up these numbers against the best of the best, without him this team does not make the playoffs. To be honest with you this should be a repeat for him, he should have won it last year as well.

Exactly.....did anyone who thinks this was given becuse of career stats, or that he is not deserving - actually see him play this year? His performance is even better than his stats. Like UNH 40 said....35 TD & 5 ints in the regular season against one of the best conferences?

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Don't recall saying there was anything wrong with that. xcoffeex :)

Then what exactly were you saying? The person whose comment you were replying to wasn't saying that the Payton is based on career achievement, which is what you seemed to be correcting them on . . .

cosmo here
December 15th, 2006, 09:06 AM

If it was given for career achievement this year, then David Ball would have won it.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 09:11 AM
If it was given for career achievement this year, then David Ball would have won it.
And Santos would win it next year.

Appguy
December 15th, 2006, 09:19 AM
when you one player is put into that many plays and throws the ball 40-60 that many times i dont think they should get the award. if the heisman was like that someone from hawaii or Texas Tech would get it every year

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 09:25 AM

Exactly. Ball would almost certainly have won. And Baylark, with his four 1,000-yard seasons, might have finished much higher up in the voting--but among running backs, the seasons Whitlock and Mason had were more Payton-worthy (though both have also, of course, had excellent careers). The voters seem to have done a good job this year of making it an individual/single-season award, not a team/career award.

andy7171
December 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
when you one player is put into that many plays and throws the ball 40-60 that many times i dont think they should get the award. if the heisman was like that someone from hawaii or Texas Tech would get it every year
He attempted 40+ only three times this year. One was an over time game and the other two were against JMU and UMass when they were playing catch up.
Get off his back.

yorkcountyUNHfan
December 15th, 2006, 09:31 AM
To understand Ricky as a player you have to look beyond his numbers, which are very good. I've seen most of his games and all of them the last 2 years. There are times he carries his team on his back. It's amazing to me the remarks I here from other fans after games about how unbelievable this run or that pass was. I tell them he does it week in and week out.
Anyone who's seen him in person know he's deserving of this award.

UMass fans should be happy to know the other time a Wildcat won the Payton was in 1998.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Then what exactly were you saying? The person whose comment you were replying to wasn't saying that the Payton is based on career achievement, which is what you seemed to be correcting them on . . .

"Correcting them on?" Stop reading so much into my post. Did you even stop to consider that maybe this is the first year that I've followed the process of how these awards are given, and that reading fans saying one or the other thing about what a player did to recieve it might have gotten me confused about what goes into the final decisions?

Please explain to me how I was correcting anyone on anything. Unless you're inside my head, I don't think you need to be telling me what the intent of my post was.

UMass922
December 15th, 2006, 10:35 AM
"Correcting them on?" Stop reading so much into my post. Did you even stop to consider that maybe this is the first year that I've followed the process of how these awards are given, and that reading fans saying one or the other thing about what a player did to recieve it might have gotten me confused about what goes into the final decisions?

Please explain to me how I was correcting anyone on anything. Unless you're inside my head, I don't think you need to be telling me what the intent of my post was.

My apologies.

CoastalFan2005
December 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
My apologies.

It's all good. xprost2x :)