PDA

View Full Version : Name for FCS championship?

Minuteman87
December 13th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Just for fun...

I am fairly new to this board, so I apologize if this question has been asked before...

But does anyone else think the FCS title game should have a name? For example, the Division III championship is called the Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl in honor of the legendary University of Chicago coach.

Is there a coach, player, administrator from the I-AA/FCS level we could honor? Let's make some suggestions...
The Walter Payton Bowl? (Although he played at Jackson State before there was a I-AA classification I believe) :bow:
The Jerry Rice Bowl? (I know he's still alive, but the Rice Bowl has a nice ring to it).
The Eddie Robinson Bowl?
The Tony Romo Bowl? (j/k)

sdgriz24
December 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
The Ralph Bowl:smiley_wi

NC Mountaineer
December 13th, 2006, 04:32 PM
While I think it's great to honor the legendary players and coaches of I-AA/FCS football, naming the title game may weaken its appeal...think of all the people who will see someone's name next to the word "bowl" in regards to the championship game in their tv guide and not give a second thought about watching it

CamelCityYosef
December 13th, 2006, 04:43 PM
I agree with NC Mountaineer. I don't want our playoff games to be confused with all the meaningless bowl games out there.

I like the sound of "NCAA Division I Football Championship".

Peems
December 13th, 2006, 04:52 PM
i like the idea of calling it "the chipper." since we are the highest level of college championship football.