PDA

View Full Version : McNeese is now hiring

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Louisiana-Monroe: We have confirmed that McNeese State (FCS – LA) head coach Matt Viator will be the new head coach at ULM. Gene Ponti was among the first to report the move. Viator has been extremely successful at the FCS level, going 62-27 overall, including a conference mark of 41-14 with three conference titles and four FCS playoff appearances.

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2015, 09:04 AM
Good luck to coach Viator. Any rumors on possible replacements?

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 09:06 AM
Lance Guidry would be my guess which will be good because we may lose Mike Collins.

SENOREIDA
December 14th, 2015, 09:08 AM
Louisiana-Monroe: We have confirmed that McNeese State (FCS – LA) head coach Matt Viator will be the new head coach at ULM. Gene Ponti was among the first to report the move. Viator has been extremely successful at the FCS level, going 62-27 overall, including a conference mark of 41-14 with three conference titles and four FCS playoff appearances.
Wow! Coached at McNeese for 10 years, you would think he was loyal to his alma mater!

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Wow! Coached at McNeese for 10 years, you would think he was loyal to his alma mater!

I guess 10 years would be considered loyal in coaching

UNIFanSince1983
December 14th, 2015, 09:16 AM
You can only be loyal for so long until money eventually talks.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2015, 09:29 AM
You can only be loyal for so long until money eventually talks.

yep, when you can move your way to a $9M/yr job you can be loyal by being a donor to your alma mater

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2015, 09:30 AM
yep, when you can move your way to a $9M/yr job you can be loyal by being a donor to your alma mater

Who's getting 9M/yr? I want 9M/yr.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 09:37 AM
We wish Matt all the luck in the world, except when we play the ScuffleHawks....now we're hoping against hope that most of the staff stays...

The current staff is heavily tied to the program...if they bolt for NLULM, that's gonna put us in a 9-line bind...particularly with regard to recruiting...

Cocky
December 14th, 2015, 09:43 AM
McNeese will have great coaches lining up. The program is similar to ours in, if you win someone will come get the coach because of funding. This could put MSU in the next level also similar to us, winning playoff games.

BEAR
December 14th, 2015, 09:50 AM
Hey I bet coach Conque will be available..its more money right? xthumbsupx Is it?

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 09:55 AM
No....Matt's pay was in the bottom half of the league....at his last review, he took a pass on a raise for himself, instead lobbying for the increase to be split among the assistants...

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 09:57 AM
No to Conque....nothing personal against him.....He was an assistant for us, but I don't want any vestige of the Sonny Jackson years rearing it's ugly head at McNeese ever again.

However, I do want somebody who's got strong ties to McNeese...preferrably from within the program...I'm hoping Lance Guidry gets the job.

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Who's getting 9M/yr? I want 9M/yr.

Well, Nick Saban is getting $7.5M now so by the time another superstar coach makes it to that level it will be $9M

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 09:58 AM
Which means that I hope Lance isn't the next DC at NLULM...

I hope Matt reaches out and gets Mike Collins for that, because of his familial ties to the ScuffleHawks...

JSUSoutherner
December 14th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Well, Nick Saban is getting $7.5M now so by the time another superstar coach makes it to that level it will be $9M

You don't have to be good to get paid a lot. Just look at Texas' coach. Lol

Sycamore62
December 14th, 2015, 10:03 AM
You don't have to be good to get paid a lot. Just look at Texas' coach. Lol

Yes but people thought he was a superstar

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 10:04 AM
You guys talkinga bout Mack Brown, or Charlie Strong?

Strong's having to take his lumps to fix what Mack screwed up...

worrierking
December 14th, 2015, 10:08 AM
Which means that I hope Lance isn't the next DC at NLULM...

I hope Matt reaches out and gets Mike Collins for that, because of his familial ties to the ScuffleHawks...

Matt's good friend Scott Stoker was recently let go as DC by UTEP. He might be a good candidate at ULM with Matt.

BEAR
December 14th, 2015, 10:52 AM
You guys talkinga bout Mack Brown, or Charlie Strong?

Strong's having to take his lumps to fix what Mack screwed up...

Charlie Strong had to fix that mess. I mean he kicked off several players from the team before the season started. Look at what he did at Louisville. He's a motivator and a really good recruiter..and proudly a former UCA Bear. xthumbsupx Give him time and he will get more wins like he did against OU.

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 11:08 AM
I mean he kicked off several players from the team before the season started.

Yes he did and two of them play significant roles at SHSU.

BEAR
December 14th, 2015, 11:20 AM
Yes he did and two of them play significant roles at SHSU.

I guess he didn't suggest to them that they transfer to UCA...xlolx Don't think they would have listened.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Matt's good friend Scott Stoker was recently let go as DC by UTEP. He might be a good candidate at ULM with Matt.

My ideal scenario has Mike going to ULM, to help win over the ScuffleHawk faithful and to establish the same sort of Familial ties to the program that we've got at McNeese....and with the elevation of Lance, that means WE need a new DC....Scott's married to a Sulphur girl who's very family oriented. I'm thinking she might like to come home ;)

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 11:48 AM
WE need a new DC....Scott's married to a Sulphur girl who's very family oriented. I'm thinking she might like to come home ;)

I'm not sure Scott would take that kind of pay cut to be a DC at McNeese, now he may come back as head coach.

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Fritz at Tulane and Matt at ULM both will be looking. Scott ending up at either place wouldn't surprise me.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Ideal scenarios aren't always particularly realistic ;)

Admittedly, mine helps Matt, Helps McNeese and hurts SHSU! ;)

TheRevSFA
December 14th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Longo to McNeese

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 12:36 PM
The word is the job's gonna be offered to Lance Guidry...if he takes it, I assume he's gonna be pretty proactive in calling the D, so...that sorta lightens the load as far as staffing goes for now...

If Tim Leger leaves, that sorta puts us in a bind for an OC...but...there's some interesting scuttlebutt about a former Mclegend with considerable Candian League experience who might step in. That would be consistent with our "keep it in house" philosophy and it'll make things interesting for next year considering that we'll be more pass oriented on offense...

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 01:28 PM
Of course, I forgot about Willie Fritz going to Tulane....that makes things pretty interesting...

I can see Scott as the Greenwave DC....I can also see former McNeese O-line coach Rob Sale, who was on the Mark Richt staff heading to New Orleans, too....Louisiana boy from Neville, HS in Monroe...Hell, he might even end up on Matt's staff, but Tulane probably has the bigger budget...

msupokes1
December 14th, 2015, 02:43 PM
If Tim Leger leaves, that sorta puts us in a bind for an OC...but...there's some interesting scuttlebutt about a former Mclegend with considerable Candian League experience who might step in. That would be consistent with our "keep it in house" philosophy and it'll make things interesting for next year considering that we'll be more pass oriented on offense...

I love Kerry Joseph. I think he is a great guy and was a heck of a football player but does he have enough coaching experience to be OC?

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 03:00 PM
He was helping the Saints as a QB coach in the Preseason....for what that's worth.....They run wide open in Canada....that might be helpful for next year ;) I'm just scattershot riffing. I'm hearing all sorts of stuff today, as I'm sure you are!

msupokes1
December 14th, 2015, 03:09 PM
Yes I am hearing a lot and I am getting really excited about the future. I know Kerry knows the X's and O's and I really like the idea. The concern I have is can he teach the X's and O's.

McNeese72
December 14th, 2015, 03:19 PM
I love Kerry Joseph. I think he is a great guy and was a heck of a football player but does he have enough coaching experience to be OC?

He did do an preseason internship with the N.O. Saints a couple of years ago.

Doc

BEAR
December 14th, 2015, 03:27 PM
How did Matt leave? Via Door? xrolleyesx

I'll be here til Friday...don't forget to tip your waiter.

Are there any STRONG prospects? Hope they don't name an interm coach..

msupokes1
December 14th, 2015, 03:40 PM
They have named Lance Guidry as interim coach since open recruiting is open until Saturday. He is expected to be named head coach within the week.

Daytripper
December 14th, 2015, 03:46 PM

Stoker might also end up at Tulane as DC for Fritz. He was the DC on the two Natty teams.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 03:50 PM
When did you guys win Nattys??????????????????????????

Daytripper
December 14th, 2015, 04:16 PM
When did you guys win Nattys??????????????????????????

Never said "win." We played in the natty....you know what I mean.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Oh.....you meant on your "Finalist Teams"....gotcha.....

Why didn't you say so??? ;)

Daytripper
December 14th, 2015, 04:19 PM

Good lord, you are anal retentive....

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 04:22 PM
That's weird....generally I get accused of being anal expulsive....

I just believe in textual precision. Most people see "Natty" and assume it means that you won a national championship.

I'm hoping you guys bring one home this year, but until then, I think you're better not misrepresenting your record ;)

Daytripper
December 14th, 2015, 04:30 PM
That's weird....generally I get accused of being anal expulsive....

I just believe in textual precision. Most people see "Natty" and assume it means that you won a national championship.

I'm hoping you guys bring one home this year, but until then, I think you're better not misrepresenting your record ;)

I really hope we bring back the hardware this year. Getting so frickin' close without winning feels so Buffalo Bills.

Sam_Kats
December 14th, 2015, 04:33 PM
I actually think of the beer

Bearkat 41
December 14th, 2015, 04:52 PM
I would be willing to bet stoker is coaching in Louisiana somewhere next year. Three options with ties to coaches/schools he is close to.

Wouldn't be shocked if Collins ends up at ulm. If that happens the Kats probably just name their co defensive coordinator the guy.

Sammy94
December 14th, 2015, 04:53 PM

I thought that was just us but I was relieved when I saw the ISU Redbirds had finalists on their scoreboard.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 04:57 PM
I think we have an acknowledgement to the finalist teams, too....if we don't, we NEED to have one!

Nickels
December 14th, 2015, 05:00 PM

We milk the **** out of "finalist". You should know this already.

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I don't see a thing wrong with that at all!

McNeese72
December 14th, 2015, 05:19 PM
We milk the **** out of "finalist". You should know this already.

We were actually "finalist" a couple of times. But it was a long, long time in a universe far, far away. :(

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
December 14th, 2015, 05:35 PM
Obi Doc Kenobi is correct...The Orange Sith Lords have embraced the Dark Side and have had a lock on the Finalist position.

It's time for a return of the Poke Jedi.....The Attitude is Strong with our next head coach.

Infectious, it should be...

McNeese72
December 14th, 2015, 06:06 PM
Obi Doc Kenobi is correct...The Orange Sith Lords have embraced the Dark Side and have had a lock on the Finalist position.

It's time for a return of the Poke Jedi.....The Attitude is Strong with our next head coach.

Infectious, it should be...

LOL

McNeese72
December 16th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Damn! After listening to Coach Guidry speak at the press conference where he was introduced as Head Coach, is it next season, yet!!!!!

Doc

Sammy94
December 16th, 2015, 04:22 PM
Damn! After listening to Coach Guidry speak at the press conference where he was introduced as Head Coach, is it next season, yet!!!!!

Maybe he can find a way to win a game in December???

McNeese72
December 16th, 2015, 04:47 PM
Maybe he can find a way to win a game in December???

If anybody can, Lance can. I think the tone of McNeese football just changed. Everybody just got a much needed jolt of energy.

Doc

katstrapper
December 16th, 2015, 08:07 PM
I would be willing to bet stoker is coaching in Louisiana somewhere next year. Three options with ties to coaches/schools he is close to.

Wouldn't be shocked if Collins ends up at ulm. If that happens the Kats probably just name their co defensive coordinator the guy.

Im thinking Collins to ULM is a done deal.

Daytripper
December 17th, 2015, 05:53 AM

Doc

Do you have a link the presser that you could share?

pokefan02
December 17th, 2015, 08:02 AM
https://youtu.be/oNCkWCFji_8
Here is the link

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

McNeese75
December 17th, 2015, 08:26 AM
Im thinking Collins to ULM is a done deal.

Good, now you can see just how good the crony Keeler brought with him is.

FormerPokeCenter
December 17th, 2015, 08:31 AM
How did I miss THIS???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4HrKWFwp64

SFA 93
December 17th, 2015, 06:39 PM
SFA OC Matt Kubik to be the new OC at Louisiana-Monroe and SFA DC Matt Williamson a finalist for the Austin Peay Head Coach job. Collins was too but dropped out.

FormerPokeCenter
December 17th, 2015, 07:43 PM
I think you'll find that Collins withdrew from the Austin Peay job because of the DC job at ULM.

I wouldn't pull the trigger on the SFA guy as OC just yet. I kinda expect that to go to somebody Matt's worked with before.....I could be wrong, but...let's call it a strong hunch....

For what it's worth, there's talk on the ULM message boards that Tim Leger got hired in Monroe today, which is kinda what I feared would happen.

I'm thinking there may be three to five more McNeese to ULM moves before the week's over....

Which is gonna suck for us...

If Collins is the guy in ULM, I don't look for any announcement until SHSU's done playing...

McNeese75
December 17th, 2015, 10:55 PM
Posted on Geauxcowboys that Tim Leger, Manny Michel, Slade Nagle and Chris Hampton will all follow Viator to ULM.

FormerPokeCenter
December 17th, 2015, 11:13 PM
SFA OC Matt Kubik to be the new OC at Louisiana-Monroe and SFA DC Matt Williamson a finalist for the Austin Peay Head Coach job. Collins was too but dropped out.

Yep...I sit corrected. He's the OC....Tim Leger is the WR coach....I thought Tim would be Matt's OC..

BEAR
December 18th, 2015, 08:19 AM

Oh Matt...you're going BACKWARDS! Well, maybe not in pay..

I've had dinner with the Williamson's for years. His son and mine played on the same football team. Hated to see him leave UCA but I also figured he wouldn't be in the SLC long either. Matt is hardcore football and will likely get that job. He's a head coach in waiting. Proud of that guy.

A little research- Kirby Cannon was making $147,000 as head coach at Austin Peay.

I assume Williamson was making around $60,000 at SFA since that was about what he was making at UCA.

McNeese72
December 24th, 2015, 09:46 AM
Update: A couple of newspapers are reporting that Landon Hoefer will be OC and that McNeese and CFL great, Kerry Joseph is coming back to coach WR's. There are rumors of McNeese greats, Zach Bronson and Charles Ayro coming back but those are just rumors right now.

Doc

Nickels
December 24th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Update: A couple of newspapers are reporting that Landon Hoefer will be OC and that McNeese and CFL great, Kerry Joseph is coming back to coach WR's. There are rumors of McNeese greats, Zach Bronson and Charles Ayro coming back but those are just rumors right now.

Doc
I guess coaching is all about getting your friends jobs.

McNeese75
December 24th, 2015, 02:56 PM
Longo???? (Although that may be the only friend KCK has)

BEAR
December 24th, 2015, 04:44 PM
Conqueo?

McNeese72
December 24th, 2015, 05:55 PM
I guess coaching is all about getting your friends jobs.

Well, we will be glad to have Kerry come back. He did do an internship with Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints a year or two ago. If Zach comes back, it will be the second time he has coached at McNeese. Landon Hoefer was the QB coach and will now be the O.C. and he is a Mike Leach disciple so it should be interesting what our offense ends up being. I don't think Lance will want it that wide open.

We are impatiently waiting to see who ends up at D.C. and what other defensive coaches might join the staff.

Doc

McNeese72
January 5th, 2016, 01:32 PM
McNeese announced some coaching staff hires today. Glad to see some of these guys back, especially Kerry Joseph.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/news/2016/1/5/FB_0105161739.aspx

Doc

Schism55
January 5th, 2016, 02:18 PM
Great players are very rarely good at other aspects of the game (coaching, announcing, etc). Good luck with these hires.

FormerPokeCenter
January 5th, 2016, 02:28 PM
McNeese's coaching staff has been comprised largely of former players for a long time...

These guys have coaching experience at other places and other levels. I'll be surprised if they don't work out pretty well...

McNeese72
January 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Great players are very rarely good at other aspects of the game (coaching, announcing, etc). Good luck with these hires.

All of these guys, except Kerry Joseph, have been in coaching for awhile. They are not just off the field. And Kerry Joseph spent a summer preseason internship with Sean Payton and the New Orleans Saints. He even won one of their impromptu training camp QB challenges. All the time he spent as QB in the CFL and rubbing shoulders with Drew Brees and Sean Payton, I'm sure a little coaching knowledge sinked in.

Doc