PDA

View Full Version : Walter Payton Award

Sam I Am
December 13th, 2015, 02:56 PM
I can't find anything on the Walter Payton Award. Has it been discontinued since The Sports Network joined Stats?

ST_Lawson
December 13th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Yes, when STATS took over, they dropped the "Walter Payton" name. I think they're calling it something like "STATS FCS Offensive Player of the Year" or something.

Question for the group...does anyone know of a place to find previous Payton award voting results? I know I can find each year's winners in a few places, but is there any place that will tell me, for example, the top 3 for each year? Earlier this year I was wanting to check the 2010 results because I think our QB Matt Barr finished second, but I wasn't 100% sure on that and couldn't find the results. Sports Network used to have that info, but as near as I can tell, that info just disappeared when STATS took over.

JayJ79
December 13th, 2015, 05:12 PM
Earlier this year I was wanting to check the 2010 results because I think our QB Matt Barr finished second, but I wasn't 100% sure on that and couldn't find the results. Sports Network used to have that info, but as near as I can tell, that info just disappeared when STATS took over.

Don't know of any source with each year's info. But in that particular case:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/news/2011/1/7/Matt_Barr_Finishes_Second_in_the_Walter_Payton_Awa rd_Voting.aspx?path=football

ST_Lawson
December 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Don't know of any source with each year's info. But in that particular case:
http://www.goleathernecks.com/news/2011/1/7/Matt_Barr_Finishes_Second_in_the_Walter_Payton_Awa rd_Voting.aspx?path=football

Sorry, yes, I should have clarified. I did eventually find that article, which answered my specific question. But it would be nice to have a listing of the history of it. Maybe if it can be pieced together from articles it can be added to the historical links/information section posted at the top of AGS.

Like, for example, from that article we know that in 2010:
"Stephen F. Austin senior quarterback Jeremy Moses picked up 37 of the 130 first-place votes totaling 372 points. Barr received 17 first-place votes, finishing with 262 points. Junior quarterback DeAndre Presley of Appalachian State was third with 182 points."

It would be nice to have that for the Payton and Buchanan awards going back through their history.

CockyGeek
December 13th, 2015, 05:16 PM
Wikipedia has the finalists going back a few years.