PDA

View Full Version : Jamey Chadwell, Mike Houston mentioned as candidates at Georgia Southern

centennial
December 12th, 2015, 09:29 PM
Having in-demand coaches is a good problem to have, and it looks like Charleston Southern and The Citadel could be dealing with it soon.
Both CSU football coach Jamey Chadwell and The Citadel’s Mike Houston are being mentioned as possible successors to Willie Fritz at Georgia Southern. Fritz was hired Friday as the new coach at Tulane.
Meanwhile, a source told The Post and Courier that Citadel defensive coordinator Maurice Drayton is a candidate for the head-coaching job at Jackson State, an FCS school in Jackson, Miss.

Drayton, a 1988 graduate of The Citadel, is in his second stint as a Bulldogs assistant, and oversees a defense that was second in the Southern Conference this season in scoring and total defense.

Welcome to the coaching merry go round. Fun times ahead for The Citadel and CSU. Jacksonville State's coach Grass might also be in the running.

Go Lehigh TU owl
December 12th, 2015, 10:52 PM
Interesting gig. Great culture of winning but what are the expectations now that GSU is in the SBC? How sacred is the option?

centennial
December 12th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Interesting gig. Great culture of winning but what are the expectations now that GSU is in the SBC? How sacred is the option?
I think they will still do wildcat or some kind of hybrid option with throwing but using the option for the run game. I think Jacksonville State's coach would be a good fit, but no TO pedigree.

tigonian02
December 12th, 2015, 11:14 PM
I think they will still do wildcat or some kind of hybrid option with throwing but using the option for the run game. I think Jacksonville State's coach would be a good fit, but no TO pedigree.

Looking at the JSU VS CSU game on Friday, I like what I saw from both coaches. CSUs coach runs an offense pretty similar to our own, so he could come in and not skip a beat. JSUs coach would have a tougher transition, but if he got the right athletes, his offense could be damn delicious at GaSouthern.

SENOREIDA
December 13th, 2015, 09:17 AM
Jamey Chadwell would be a great pick up for Georgia Southern. Would devastate Chuck South's program.

Big_Fan
December 13th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Looking at the JSU VS CSU game on Friday, I like what I saw from both coaches. CSUs coach runs an offense pretty similar to our own, so he could come in and not skip a beat. JSUs coach would have a tougher transition, but if he got the right athletes, his offense could be damn delicious at GaSouthern.

not saying Coach Grass will never leave JSU, but he is home. He is an alumnus of JSU, from the area, and the high school he was hired from to be our OC was so close he wouldn't have had to move unless he wanted to. I worry more about in-state schools offering him a high paying coordinator job, since that would boost his retirement. I don't think he would leave for a Georgia Southern type job...though it is possible 500k might lure him away. USA, Troy, UAB, or coordinator at UA or AU...yeah.

jsnow84
December 13th, 2015, 01:12 PM
Would be shocked if Chadwell is at CSU next year.

centennial
December 13th, 2015, 01:42 PM
not saying Coach Grass will never leave JSU, but he is home. He is an alumnus of JSU, from the area, and the high school he was hired from to be our OC was so close he wouldn't have had to move unless he wanted to. I worry more about in-state schools offering him a high paying coordinator job, since that would boost his retirement. I don't think he would leave for a Georgia Southern type job...though it is possible 500k might lure him away. USA, Troy, UAB, or coordinator at UA or AU...yeah.

Everyone takes more money. If I were the GSo AD I would consider how many transfers he uses vs developing own talent.

Daytripper
December 13th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Chadwell is the no-brainer. No disrespect to Chuck South, but success is going to be very difficult to maintain there.

SENOREIDA
December 13th, 2015, 03:29 PM
Also I don't think CSU can afford to keep Chadwell

catamount man
December 13th, 2015, 03:32 PM
I can see Chadwell definitely in Statesboro. GO CATS!!!

tigonian02
December 13th, 2015, 04:13 PM
I agree about JSU coach. Would take more money than we're willing to initially give to grab him from JSU. Rumor has it that Auburn OC and WVU DC are also interested. Lashlee could be an interesting hire, but I don't see him staying for very long. Chadwell would still probably be my #1 choice at the moment. I think we could get a good 5 years out of him before he leaves.

Big_Fan
December 14th, 2015, 05:32 AM
Everyone takes more money. If I were the GSo AD I would consider how many transfers he uses vs developing own talent.

Consider what? It is his second season as our HC, after one season as OC. There isn't a lot of a track record.

The transfer rhetoric is overblown, anyway.

The consensus seems to be that we are overwhelming on offense, and mediocre on defense. We only have a couple on offense. The only major contributors are a JUCO OL, and a receiver who missed 4 games this season with injury. We have a RB who was 2nd/3rd string, is out for the season with injury (we are hopeful he can get a medical and play another season).

Conversely, Eli Jenkins was a cornerback when Grass took over as offensive coordinator. He moved him to QB, and I think he has developed pretty well.

On defense we have a number that contribute. Your school is in the wasteland where players get overlooked. We have a dozen P5 schools within spitting distance (most in the oversigning SEC), along with a dozen G5 schools. The population of our state is 4 and a half million. We have to take transfers because there are few players that get overlooked. We have had multiple committed players this recruiting season (that we had been on early) decommit because of offers from SEC schools.

I think we have around 11 transfers, and about half are contributors.

From what I can tell, Grass is pulling fewer transfers than his predecessor did. If we can get quality recruits and develop them, we are better off... not sure we can get the linemen we need to compete, without taking transfers. We have always gotten good skill guys as incoming freshmen, but linemen are a premium in the south.

CID1990
December 14th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Chadwell is the no-brainer. No disrespect to Chuck South, but success is going to be very difficult to maintain there.

He's a good recruiter, but he also has literally no APR concerns to hamper him. There is athletic talent on that team that even Clemson or USC couldn't go after even if they wanted to.

I'd say that CSU, in spite of its facilities issues, will have plenty of gridiron success moving forward.

SENOREIDA
December 14th, 2015, 08:00 AM
He's a good recruiter, but he also has literally no APR concerns to hamper him. There is athletic talent on that team that even Clemson or USC couldn't go after even if they wanted to.

I'd say that CSU, in spite of its facilities issues, will have plenty of gridiron success moving forward.
That's because he coaches at a Vacation Bible School. xlolx But seriously, calling CSU a university is a disgrace to academia.

ButlerGSU
December 14th, 2015, 08:16 AM
That's because he coaches at a Vacation Bible School. xlolx But seriously, calling CSU a university is a disgrace to academia.

Ouch!

CSU18
December 14th, 2015, 08:50 AM

Enjoy being in the bottom of the Sun Belt for the foreseeable future. Glad to know that Coastal exited the FCS with a loss from Charleston Southern and The Citadel. Not being able to get out of the 1st round despite thinking your football program is some type of dynasty really solidifies the decision to go FBS. Your future looks really bright.

SENOREIDA
December 14th, 2015, 09:05 AM
Enjoy being in the bottom of the Sun Belt for the foreseeable future. Glad to know that Coastal exited the FCS with a loss from Charleston Southern and The Citadel. Not being able to get out of the 1st round despite thinking your football program is some type of dynasty really solidifies the decision to go FBS. Your future looks really bright.
I'd rather be in a stable conference, than one that is about to collapse. Liberty is about to jump ship. Kennesaw and Monmouth will probably leave. The Big South is back to irrelevance Enjoy it!

CID1990
December 14th, 2015, 10:37 AM
I'd rather be in a stable conference, than one that is about to collapse. Liberty is about to jump ship. Kennesaw and Monmouth will probably leave. The Big South is back to irrelevance Enjoy it!

Although KSU hasn't been very vocal about it, I think their plan is to go FBS in 3-4 years.

The BSC's best bet right now would be to coax some D-2s into FCS- schools that won't have any aspirations to go FBS and without the pedigree to jump ship to the CAA or SoCon. I'm thinking Valdosta State and North Greenville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaladinFan
December 14th, 2015, 11:54 AM

I guess compared to the Big South, the SunBelt is a stable conference. I don't think the SunBelt is anything other than an island of misfit self-interested toys looking for the first ship out of there.

Big_Fan
December 14th, 2015, 12:40 PM
Although KSU hasn't been very vocal about it, I think their plan is to go FBS in 3-4 years.

The BSC's best bet right now would be to coax some D-2s into FCS- schools that won't have any aspirations to go FBS and without the pedigree to jump ship to the CAA or SoCon. I'm thinking Valdosta State and North Greenville.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the Big South added tUNA and Valdosta, to compliment Kennesaw, JSU would probably listen to overtures. We are an outlier in the OVC, and other than EKU (who wants fbs) there is nothing resembling any sort of rival. Kennesaw and tUNA would be darned attractive to us, and Valdosta was a rival in the old days of the Gulf South.

tigonian02
December 14th, 2015, 05:12 PM
If the Big South added tUNA and Valdosta, to compliment Kennesaw, JSU would probably listen to overtures. We are an outlier in the OVC, and other than EKU (who wants fbs) there is nothing resembling any sort of rival. Kennesaw and tUNA would be darned attractive to us, and Valdosta was a rival in the old days of the Gulf South.

As a Valdosta native, VSUs administration has been very VERY reluctant to make the move up to FCS despite community support to do so. They still play in VHS stadium and refuse to build their own. They use increased cost of competition as the excuse not to jump.

SENOREIDA
December 14th, 2015, 08:45 PM
As a Valdosta native, VSUs administration has been very VERY reluctant to make the move up to FCS despite community support to do so. They still play in VHS stadium and refuse to build their own. They use increased cost of competition as the excuse not to jump.
I really don't see that as a problem. It's a stadium that seats 11,000, wow! Winthrop has had talks of starting football and their plans would include playing in York County's District 3 Stadium. And personally just looking at photos, that stadium is far above the garbage heaps of the Big South Conference. With facilities like that, Valdosta could instantly be competitive.

tigonian02
December 14th, 2015, 09:38 PM
I really don't see that as a problem. It's a stadium that seats 11,000, wow! Winthrop has had talks of starting football and their plans would include playing in York County's District 3 Stadium. And personally just looking at photos, that stadium is far above the garbage heaps of the Big South Conference. With facilities like that, Valdosta could instantly be competitive.

I agree. I've always thought that they've limited themselves. In the last 20 years or so, I would wager that VSU had a year or so of being the 3rd most competitive football team in the state of Georgia. They've let other schools pass them by now though. Ga State, Kennesaw State, and Mercer are all playing FCS/FBS already and now even West Georgia is showing interest in moving up. VSU is getting shut out quickly.

tigonian02
December 16th, 2015, 08:02 PM
Has anyone heard anything in regards to Chadwell?

Baldy
December 17th, 2015, 07:49 AM
Has anyone heard anything in regards to Chadwell?
It's between Chadwell and Brent Pry, and I believe Pry is 1st choice. xeyebrowx

tigonian02
December 17th, 2015, 09:49 AM
I'd want Chadwell over Pry easily. Grass too...although he brings in a ton of Jucos

Baldy
December 17th, 2015, 09:54 AM
I'd want Chadwell over Pry easily. Grass too...although he brings in a ton of Jucos
I think I'd rather have Chadwell too, but Pry has got some chops. He was only here for one year before, but tons of former players (offense and defense) want him really bad. I think that says a lot about the guy...impressive.

centennial
December 20th, 2015, 06:58 PM
And it's decided- Tyson Summers from Colorado State(he is the DC). Rest easy Chuck South fans..

http://footballscoop.com/news/georgia-southern-to-hire-tyson-summers-as-head-coach/

Cocky
December 21st, 2015, 07:16 AM
And it's decided- Tyson Summers from Colorado State(he is the DC). Rest easy Chuck South fans..

http://footballscoop.com/news/georgia-southern-to-hire-tyson-summers-as-head-coach/

Did several turn them down? How did this guy emerge as the one?

Baldy
December 21st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Did several turn them down? How did this guy emerge as the one?
Don't know. Maybe their vision didn't match our goals.
After reflecting on it, I think it's a good hire. It will all come down to who he has on staff.

walliver
December 21st, 2015, 03:31 PM
Don't know. Maybe their vision didn't match our goals.
After reflecting on it, I think it's a good hire. It will all come down to who he has on staff.

He won't be there long.
If he wins he'll move up, I he loses he'll be fired.

Baldy
December 22nd, 2015, 08:19 AM
He won't be there long.
If he wins he'll move up, I he loses he'll be fired.
Something which we're very familiar. 3-4 years will be the max either way. That's the state of college football these days. xnodx